PlayStation 5 and the future of DBZ games..

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: PlayStation 5 and the future of DBZ games..

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:09 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:23 pm
Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:58 am
MCDaveG wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:00 am Getting Dragon Ball game that starts with the first chapter of manga and first series and goes well into Z might be just my wet dream.
Also based on the history, that we only got one game on Wii up to King Piccolo and two handheld titles.

If Kakarot had that complete journey, it would be my most fav game just because of that.
Sadly that was never an option solely because Kakarot made the baffling decision to have battles only ever take place while flying.

More to the point, it felt like Kakarot was meant to be a game solely about the Saiyan and Freeza arcs that got stretched out to the entirety of Z late in development. Original DB would have been great to see in high definition, but I don't think it was ever once intended to be anything but a slice of the entire series. As much as I also would love to have seen it be all of the story, I think diluting it too much would have broken the whole experience. Which I'd sad because I can think of many good ways to keep a game set over the entirety of Dragon Ball feeling fresh without growing repetitive, but it'd take time that Bamco never seems to let their studios have.
What makes you think it was only suppose to be Saiyan and Frieza?
It's a pure speculation of course, but during the promo for the game, they showed Saiyan and Freeza arcs mostly, with huge uproar from fans and worries that the game would be just the first two arcs again and not a complete Z series.
It was confirmed untrue of course, but many fans and people who played the game claim that Cell and Buu arc feel quite condensed and not as realized as the two first arcs are. That I guess is what miguel is hinting at.

I personally believe that the game was supposed to be the complete Z series from the start with some cut content and rushed decisions, like completely missing the Rage Trunks versus Cell segment for example. Some lazy design choices like all robots being skull robots etc.
But we have to take these games with some liberties, it's not AAA standalone game, but basically franchise title - merchandise like figures and t-shirts are and these games are rarely that good, compared to full standalone titles. I still think that FighterZ came out as well done as it is, beside me complaining because I am not really a fan of tag fighters, by a pure luck, star constellation that somehow brought Arc Sys with what they do best and DB franchise together.

Honestly, most of the Dragon Ball games over the years are basically lacking something. Be it cut content or not fully polished mechanics.
I must say, that the Kakarot fighting system is better working than Xenoverse and more fun because of that, sure, it doesn't have any real combos and really basic mechanics, but it looks nice and is fun in comparison to Xenoverse and it's convoluted combos that work with luck and some magic you did before you put the disc into Play Station.

Long story short, I think that Kakarot is as complete game as they wanted from start to finish, it's just smaller teams for less money in Japan and tight deadlines. I think that the development time was like 1-2 years tops? And now look at the crazy development cycles at Square Enix with Final Fantasy titles. Like FFXV is crazy with content and they just cut the last 4 DLCs. It was in development for 10 years plus 2-3 years on DLC and main game overhauls and still rough around the edges at some places - again, smaller teams than for western games and development hell.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:41 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:09 am
miguelnuva1 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:23 pm
Yuli Ban wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:58 am

Sadly that was never an option solely because Kakarot made the baffling decision to have battles only ever take place while flying.

More to the point, it felt like Kakarot was meant to be a game solely about the Saiyan and Freeza arcs that got stretched out to the entirety of Z late in development. Original DB would have been great to see in high definition, but I don't think it was ever once intended to be anything but a slice of the entire series. As much as I also would love to have seen it be all of the story, I think diluting it too much would have broken the whole experience. Which I'd sad because I can think of many good ways to keep a game set over the entirety of Dragon Ball feeling fresh without growing repetitive, but it'd take time that Bamco never seems to let their studios have.
What makes you think it was only suppose to be Saiyan and Frieza?
It's a pure speculation of course, but during the promo for the game, they showed Saiyan and Freeza arcs mostly, with huge uproar from fans and worries that the game would be just the first two arcs again and not a complete Z series.
It was confirmed untrue of course, but many fans and people who played the game claim that Cell and Buu arc feel quite condensed and not as realized as the two first arcs are. That I guess is what miguel is hinting at.

I personally believe that the game was supposed to be the complete Z series from the start with some cut content and rushed decisions, like completely missing the Rage Trunks versus Cell segment for example. Some lazy design choices like all robots being skull robots etc.
But we have to take these games with some liberties, it's not AAA standalone game, but basically franchise title - merchandise like figures and t-shirts are and these games are rarely that good, compared to full standalone titles. I still think that FighterZ came out as well done as it is, beside me complaining because I am not really a fan of tag fighters, by a pure luck, star constellation that somehow brought Arc Sys with what they do best and DB franchise together.

Honestly, most of the Dragon Ball games over the years are basically lacking something. Be it cut content or not fully polished mechanics.
I must say, that the Kakarot fighting system is better working than Xenoverse and more fun because of that, sure, it doesn't have any real combos and really basic mechanics, but it looks nice and is fun in comparison to Xenoverse and it's convoluted combos that work with luck and some magic you did before you put the disc into Play Station.

Long story short, I think that Kakarot is as complete game as they wanted from start to finish, it's just smaller teams for less money in Japan and tight deadlines. I think that the development time was like 1-2 years tops? And now look at the crazy development cycles at Square Enix with Final Fantasy titles. Like FFXV is crazy with content and they just cut the last 4 DLCs. It was in development for 10 years plus 2-3 years on DLC and main game overhauls and still rough around the edges at some places - again, smaller teams than for western games and development hell.
I asked the question. Yuli is.the one who feels.it was only suppose to be the first two sagas.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:22 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:41 pm I asked the question. Yuli is.the one who feels.it was only suppose to be the first two sagas.
Sure, I've just put some background into the discussion.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:30 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:22 am
miguelnuva1 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:41 pm I asked the question. Yuli is.the one who feels.it was only suppose to be the first two sagas.
I know, I'm just clearing up a part it your post because it reads like I was thinking it was only planned to be the first two arcs.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 01, 2022 7:58 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:30 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:22 am
I know, I'm just clearing up a part it your post because it reads like I was thinking it was only planned to be the first two arcs.
Not at all, I got you :) What I am kinda missing in the forum formats is the option to get into conversation as a string with more than quoting just one person.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon May 09, 2022 3:03 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:36 pm This seems to be a big criticism i hear about the game? Everyone has a KI blast attack etc Should they give Arcsys more free reign to play around with movesets to diffrentiate the characters instead of trying to play it safe with manga and anime references only?
Well, Arcsys shouldn't go as crazy as they may go with their usual games, since it gets really wacky in those (There's a puddle who shoots bees who has a legit moveset in Blazblue lol), but problem is how basic DBFZ is.

I also don't think the problem is really Bandai ordering them to avoid weird movesets, Freeza for example tries to be a zoner, Baby manages to be one, Z Broly is a grappler mixed with a zoner, 21 has that mechanic of stealing powers (Which before patches was permanent, but she couldn't get powers from a level 3), Ginyu can body swap and has the whole gimmick with the Ginyu Force, Labcoat 21 has that disgusting debuff that makes the opponent permanently do 21% less damage, and there are others I'm probably forgetting.

Basicaly there are ideas for more varied movesets, but Arcsys also made a bunch of universal tools that are really strong, possibly so changing characters isn't as complicated, but they went too far, and that made the cast be more on the bland side.

So yeah, I don't think this is a Namco problem of telling Arcsys to avoid weird movesets, or a problem about them being limited to only manga and anime references, it's arcsys being incompetent, which I'll give them some leeway because making a Marvel vs Capcom style of game is not easy, but they really started with dumb ideas like only having one assist per character, which invalitated about most of the cast as assists, and that's bad in a team based game, even a game as broken as MvC2 can have rather flexible team setups, even though anti air assists are the meta, there are other options that are disgustingly powerful too.

I think by the next game Arcsys should do a bit more of their usual weirdness to make characters stand out more, in DBFZ it felt like they were playing too safe for the sake of balance attempts and making the game accessible (Since the usual DB fan may not be interested in an overly complex fighter), but again, went too far and made the characters be more on the bland side.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:32 am

Technically, aside from the usual graphical improvement, the next gen could probably serve in special game mechanics or game modes that can use ALL elements of the game at the same time, thanks to the SSD being able to more or less cancel loading times.

So for fighting games, you can imagine being able to fight in all stages one after the other without much of a transition, for example with a teleporting device in the story that's gone haywire and just randomly sends you to all places in the game without pausing your fight. Purely visual rather than based on gameplay, but still something the tech would allow.

You can also imagine a mode where many more than three characters on each team can participate, since all models could be loaded in a sec. This gives way for some "giant brawl" mode with ten characters against ten opponents, or even ALL characters in the game versus ALL characters in the game in a single, giant, All-Stars match.

Could be single player, local or even online: if there are 50 characters, you put 50 players against 50 players, each side having to pick all existing characters (no duplicates), each player choosing a character until all characters of the game are included in each team for one giant battle.

If you think it would be way to much, then it can still apply to a lesser number of teammates: 10 VS 10, 15 VS 15, 20 VS 20...

Such is the magic of the next gen hardware: extremely fast (near instant) loading times can open the opportunity to have EVERY asset (characters and landscapes alike) accessible whenever it's needed in a same match!

It could also simply apply to instantly loaded enemies and allies for example: imagine a mode where you face all adversaries from the story in chronological order without interruption, and every time a new opponent shows up, your two allies instantly load, fitting this point of the story to match the opponent (Gohan and Krilin against Vegeta, Piccolo and Vegeta against C-20, etc...) in a survival mode that tests how far you can go and if you can make it with all sorts of assists you don't choose.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:07 pm

A tournament of Power mode with 80 players fighting would rule to be honest.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:40 pm

I don’t have much ideas for where you can take a new Dragon Ball game. Maybe an open world game that tells an original story? That’s about all I can think of.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:20 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:40 pm I don’t have much ideas for where you can take a new Dragon Ball game. Maybe an open world game that tells an original story? That’s about all I can think of.
A DBZ kakarot type Game set in an altered GT timeline with an orginal stroy could be cool.

Pan, Bra, Uub and maybe Gohan could have a son as new z warriors for example? Big risk but could also be a big reward.

Or a game based on the 4th unforseen timeline.