Technical question about the site's data

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DNA
I Live Here

Technical question about the site's data

Post by DNA » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:05 am

Was looking around for it, but from what I've seen none of the info of the website seems to be stored in a database. I may be looking at it wrong due to inexperience, but from the sheer amount of information on each episode and, well, everything, I'd expect them to be JSON files or something similar. Won't that be a lot of work if you ever need to port it somewhere else? For example, the wiki? That will mean you'll have to retype everything again.
Really just wondering if that was a conscious choice. It would be cool to have a Dragon Ball API that anyone could use to make HTTP requests and get information in return.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Technical question about the site's data

Post by Hujio » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:16 pm

Sorry, I totally missed this. The entire website, including the main site, forum, and wiki, is set up using large databases. Every page is stored as a separate entry within its respective database. We do routinely run automated backups of each database just to be safe, and our host runs backups as well. If we ever had to move to a different host or anything like that, we would be covered. The biggest pain would be dealing with how large the database files are.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

DNA
I Live Here

Re: Technical question about the site's data

Post by DNA » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:31 am

Ok, I get that, but that's not what I meant. I'm asking about the text itself. Because it seems to me all the text is hardcoded directly onto each page. This isn't a bad thing, but if you need that text, and just that text, somewhere else, it would be more convinient having it stored in a separate file and then required where needed.

For example, all the episode data, if it is indeed hardcoded in each page, that means you'll either have to retype or copy paste it, both are prone to mistakes. If it's stored in an external file, all you have to do is import the file and alocate what piece of data goes where.

Example:
Episode002: {
Date: 02-03-1993,
Title: "Freeza dies but not really, can Goku do the thing?",
Summary: "Goku totally does the thing",
}