Preferring Team Four Star's parody over the original series baffles me

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Preferring Team Four Star's parody over the original series baffles me

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:30 am

They had “16 is obsessed with killing Goku right up to his death” jokes, Cell full on singing Frank Sinatra’s “My Way” in his last moments, Dende has a crush on Gohan jokes etc etc it absolutely felt like a parody until the very end and some sincere moments of fan service didn’t change that.

I actually liked the moments of sincerity in DBZA because you can tell that TFS are huge fans of the franchise and not just making a gag dub because Dragon Ball Z is a big name Anime. Doesn’t mean I want their takes seeping their way into discourse for the actual show.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:40 pm

So, Toriyama is to Dragon Ball what George Lucas is to Star Wars: the one who came up with the initial creative spark and created a fascinating world that we want to experience. The DBZA guys, conversely, are to Dragon Ball like what Lawrence Kasdan was to Star Wars: people who built on the foundation and presented it in a more multi-dimensional way. Do you prefer the simple, fun adventure story of A New Hope? Or a more complex and character-driven narrative like The Empire Strikes Back? If you're like me, that answer will be, "Depends on what I'm in the mood for."
While I love the movie comparison, I don't know if it is correct in this example. I think a far better one is to see Toriyama's DBZ to Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress compared to TFS DBZA to Lucas' Star Wars; no I'm not trying to suggest that TFS is on par with some of the best filmmakers on the planet. What I am saying, is that Lucas and Spielberg and a whole host of others during the late 60s and 70s were among the first to have gone to school for filmmaking, and thus their films to be aware of genres in a way that more classical filmmakers weren't'.

It's how I few what TFS has done. Though I don't know if I'd agree that DBZA is more "complex."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:45 pm

Even this comparison isn't apt. They are just fans that enjoy the show and enjoy ribbing it. That's it. Yes, they are aware of genre in a way perhaps the previous generation weren't (though I doubt it) they still told earnest stories. DBZA is just a parody.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

UltraInstinctRorikon
Beyond Newbie

Post by UltraInstinctRorikon » Sat May 13, 2023 9:20 pm

Yes 'necroing' cause this thread is still relevant as I keep running into these people who claim it's not only better than all dubs but better than the japanese original.

Say what you about the funi dub, whatever inaccuracy it may have you still are getting a far more accurate show than whatever the crap TFS is with rape jokes, cringey below family guy tier sex jokes, pop (now dated) references jokes, meta fan ENGLISH speaking internet forum jokes, just no. It is not better than the funi dub, any variation of it.

It's a parody all the voices sound ridiculous if you take them in a serious context and I don't mean 'acting', I mean that their voice direction is directly intended to make you laugh and sound stupid. Once again say what you want about the funi dub but they were trying and I enjoyed them personally and their voices made my childhood. They delivered a far more memorable and serious adaptation than a parody cause...it's a parody. That's why it's called abridged.

It will never be better just cause some white guys make white guy millenial internet culture hehehe jokes and I say this as a white guy.

And thank goodness TFS ended because seeing people go on about the Buu arc would drive me further nuts.
We the ones

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Mon May 15, 2023 3:46 pm

UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:20 pm Yes 'necroing' cause this thread is still relevant as I keep running into these people who claim it's not only better than all dubs but better than the japanese original.
Considering that the audio quality of TFS is better than the audio quality of the Japanese dub, at the very least, TFS is objectively better to the Japanese version as far as audio quality.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 15, 2023 3:51 pm

ZodaEX wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:46 pm
UltraInstinctRorikon wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:20 pm Yes 'necroing' cause this thread is still relevant as I keep running into these people who claim it's not only better than all dubs but better than the japanese original.
Considering that the audio quality of TFS is better than the audio quality of the Japanese dub, at the very least, TFS is objectively better to the Japanese version as far as audio quality.
Which isn't the audio quality of the Japanese version ...hence the fandom's obsession with the broadcast audio being a thing...

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 15, 2023 3:54 pm

No not even that is true. ZodaEX You just havent heard the Japanese audio at its best. See, the audio you heard is taken from the film reels that degrades over time but the actual Broadcast Audio is of an amazing quality. It has never been released officially since it was kept by fans on VHS recordings.

This is an depth video on the topic.

https://youtu.be/PTLBEzJQU9M

And this is a sample of the Broadcast Audio in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqkTKa2FzBc

EDIT: Also the Japanese version is not a dub Zoda!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 15, 2023 4:03 pm

Of all the things that bother me about the mass, swirling vortex that is 'fandom' I wouldn't place "fans like this parody more than the original" as that big an issue. Dragon Ball is a parody in the first place, after all.

Also, like, curate your own following feeds. That's what I do. I make sure I never see stupid people, unless I venture out into a space that I can't do that as well.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 15, 2023 4:05 pm

The above statement just blew. My. Mind. It is very much true.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 15, 2023 4:08 pm

I feel liking TFS over the original is like saying that I like Johnny English over the actual James Bond movies. It feels surreal to me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 15, 2023 4:20 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:08 pm I feel liking TFS over the original is like saying that I like Johnny English over the actual James Bond movies. It feels surreal to me.
I mean, James Bond is a shit franchise, so...I get it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 15, 2023 4:22 pm

Just a reminder/note that you're all engaging with this because someone decided to angrily necropost a dead two-year-old thread (all the meanwhile declaring it NOT necroposting... because... reasons...?). Many of you have already posted in the previous pages two years ago. Locking.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::