"Quiet Like The Sky" - Kikuchi or nah?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

"Quiet Like The Sky" - Kikuchi or nah?

Post by Terez » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:50 am

The track kenisu calls "Quiet Like The Sky" strikes me as being stylistically quite different from Kikuchi's other DB stuff in form and in instrumentation. What do you guys think?

Quiet Like The Sky

I think that in terms of compositional style, Kikuchi can do whatever and it won't surprise me. Some days you just want to do something different. I guess it's the instrumentation that makes me question it. But even there, it might be some corner of Kikuchi's synthesizer that he rarely touched for reasons, idk. But then there's the fact that it's only used once...

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Quiet Like The Sky" - Kikuchi or nah?

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:15 am

Yeah, Quiet Like The Sky is quite unique, it has some Sibelius vibes in it...
Which composer do you think could have composed this piece other than Kikuchi?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:29 am

If it's not Kikuchi, then I would be inclined to assume it was some stock music they had lying around. If it's inspired by something else specific, then it's not something I recognize. I'm not too familiar with Sibelius, though I have been intending to give him a good listen since I found out my favorite Chopin scholar is into him.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:05 pm

Sorry for replying this dead thread, I definitely can't give a answer for this, but I just want to say what I believe that can be the reasons for us to believe that it can be Kikuchi, and reasons for not being Kikuchi

Reasons to believe it is Kikuchi
1-Kikuchi indeed did this type of composition, it just wasn't often, but his work in Movie Wrath fo The Dragon, Tiger Mask I/II and Grendizer really comes close to QLTS for me, specially the flute.
2-If that's the full track, then it fits for Kikuchi's patterns, why would a stock music be so short?

Reasons to believe it's a Stock music, or a track made by other composer
1-It's only used one time, and that is something that happens with stock music in the series, they are always used just one time, they never use the same one again, but that's a not very strong plea, since most of Kikuchi tracks also are used just one time.
2-even though the style matches some of Kikuchi's work, the fade-in and fade-out, from all of Kikuchi's work I've heard til this moment, I never heard any music composed by him, that contains that so glaring fade-in and fade-out, Kikuchi music always tend to keep a consistence in the volume, his tracks from the beginning to the ending, makes all of the instruments stay in a middle ground, without strong fades.

That's it, I also think that we can believe that it's Kikuchi because of the context, Piccolo arc, near the end of the series, DB used stock music much more in the beginning, after Tao Pai Pai, they used much less stock music, also, the scene, is that really a appropriate moment to use a Stock music? Based in the uses of stock music in the anime, they are often used for slice of life, comical moments, but that's just a opinion, we definitely can't reach a conclusion
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.