It’s literally such a SHAME how LAME and WASTED Videl became.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: It’s literally such a SHAME how LAME and WASTED Videl became.

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:07 pm

Up until this thread and the other ones like it I honestly had no idea people thought this highly of Videl of all characters. Granted i'm sure the original poster was just trying to ruffle some feathers and couldnt give two fucks about her but yeah, interesting indeed.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:30 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:30 am
ABED wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:57 am Forcing the narrative to bend over backwards to justify making Videl important to the plot is not good writing. The characters you mentioned got stronger by training with masters but they did so over the course of years, not one arc.
Their greatest gains weren't over time, they were when they trained with new masters. Roshi, Kami, Kaio, Saichoro unlocking their potential, they all boosted their power more than what happened in the meantime between those masters, and they had several breaks between them, and after that, they stagnated when they no longer shared the trainings of the main cast. Those things happened every couple of years for them, who says that can't happen altogether during the course of a few years? or in a few days in the ROSAT, its gravity is similar to the one at Kaio's planet and we've seen earthlings get used to that.
An accelerated training bootcamp -with all the available resources- should produce another strong earthling, they are not genetically superior to the rest of mankind, anybody with the proper training should be able to learn what they know and do. Videl learned to fly after a few weeks.

And I never said it would be to make her important to the plot, she's an earthling after all, but could've been added to the low level fights the earthling took part in DBS.
Not all in the same arc! That's my point. Doing all that at one time for Videl is a very naked attempt to push her to the head of the line. If all those power ups happened in the same arc for ANY of the characters it would be absurd.
goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:07 pm Up until this thread and the other ones like it I honestly had no idea people thought this highly of Videl of all characters. Granted i'm sure the original poster was just trying to ruffle some feathers and couldnt give two fucks about her but yeah, interesting indeed.
This reminds me of the reaction to Barb in the first season of Stranger Things.
Last edited by ABED on Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:54 pm

theherodjl wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:25 pm You know, maybe Videl just doesn't have as much potential as initially believed? She was a girl with an interest for martial arts but that doesn't automatically make her an incredible fighter or even an average one among the ranks of the team. Videl lacks certain, inherent advantages that the others may have had or obtained that allowed them to grow exponentially in short amounts of time. It's not a process that is easily replicated for just anyone & everyone. There are limits sometimes, even in DB.
It would be a huge burden for Videl to even attain the PLs of the team from the DB-era when she's just trying to be a wife & parent nowadays. She's got a husband with planet busting power and is even friends with literal Gods & Angels so her own power & safety isn't an issue.
Videl was stronger than her father (who's unquestionably the strongest normal human) despite mostly being self-taught and mastered bukujutsu in just two weeks. She definitely had potential to be an incredible fighter. She was unfortunately introduced way too late into the series.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:55 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:54 pm
theherodjl wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:25 pm You know, maybe Videl just doesn't have as much potential as initially believed? She was a girl with an interest for martial arts but that doesn't automatically make her an incredible fighter or even an average one among the ranks of the team. Videl lacks certain, inherent advantages that the others may have had or obtained that allowed them to grow exponentially in short amounts of time. It's not a process that is easily replicated for just anyone & everyone. There are limits sometimes, even in DB.
It would be a huge burden for Videl to even attain the PLs of the team from the DB-era when she's just trying to be a wife & parent nowadays. She's got a husband with planet busting power and is even friends with literal Gods & Angels so her own power & safety isn't an issue.
Videl was stronger than her father (who's unquestionably the strongest normal human) despite mostly being self-taught and mastered bukujutsu in just two weeks. She definitely had potential to be an incredible fighter. She was unfortunately introduced way too late into the series.
Stronger than Mr. Satan didn't say much and she mastered flight after being taught. That's a fairly rudimentary technique.

Pretty much all the characters are prodigies. She's not special in that regard.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:15 pm

"It was too late into the series" is some weird logic to bring to a series that is 1. Fictional and one can therefore do whatever you want and 2. TWO HUNDRED chapters into the ducking series the main character is suddenly revealed to be a fucking alien.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:03 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:15 pm "It was too late into the series" is some weird logic to bring to a series that is 1. Fictional and one can therefore do whatever you want and 2. TWO HUNDRED chapters into the ducking series the main character is suddenly revealed to be a fucking alien.
yeah, that's the same thing. Goku being an alien didn't contradict anything and made a lot of sense given what came before. He was always shown to be different, this just gave a definitive answer. Sure, a story can do anything but don't expect the audience to automatically buy into it. All of those power ups and masters the main characters learned from happened over the course of a decade with lots of trial and error and trial by fire. Expecting the audience to buy one character to experience all that within the span of a single arc is a tad much.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:15 pm "It was too late into the series" is some weird logic to bring to a series that is 1. Fictional and one can therefore do whatever you want and 2. TWO HUNDRED chapters into the ducking series the main character is suddenly revealed to be a fucking alien.
Just because you can do anything with the story doesn't mean it will be good or make sense. Being late into the series is especially pertinent in regards to Dragon Ball because things had escalated so much and humans had both hit their ceiling and bee irrelevant for so long that there's no way anybody's actually buying Videl being worth a damn in a single arc, ESPECIALLY if it would come at the expense of characters the fans have liked for hundreds of chapters that have already been shafted enough as it is.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:49 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:16 pm
Just because you can do anything with the story doesn't mean it will be good or make sense. Being late into the series is especially pertinent in regards to Dragon Ball because things had escalated so much and humans had both hit their ceiling and bee irrelevant for so long that there's no way anybody's actually buying Videl being worth a damn in a single arc, ESPECIALLY if it would come at the expense of characters the fans have liked for hundreds of chapters that have already been shafted enough as it is.
That's another thing to think about - the other fan favorites. How many times have we seen a series where a new character is brought in to a show we love and the audience craps on them because they just want to stay with the characters they know and love already?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:51 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:16 pm
Those characters are shafted because Toriyama is bored of them (clearly an issue with Videl, too) and because moving on from them unencumbered the story and creativity. Toriyama kept forcing the humans behind as an excuse to only focus on more popular characters.

Gohan and Videl are the focus of the first part of the Majin Buu arc anyway. Introducing her as already being strong or working a story reason in during the training for the Tenka'ichi works, too.

The whole point of the thread is specifically criticizing the choices made by real human beings. In-universe rationalizations are pointless to consider.

But yeah, if we're supposed to care about a supposed and incalculable sub-group of people who can't swallow the then-main character's girlfriend character being strong and cool and a part of the story I guess I'll just roll over like a good little doggy.

Okay, that sounds like sour grapes on my part. Let me just rephrase bluntly: I think this weird group resistance to criticizing the series' treatment of a once prominent female character is just horse shit. We've established that Videl was given the shaft (pun) unfairly...so why do we just role over when we can have discussions to build toward a better future?

Like, fuck it. What else do we have to lose by being optimists?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:22 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:51 pm
Okay, that sounds like sour grapes on my part. Let me just rephrase bluntly: I think this weird group resistance to criticizing the series' treatment of a once prominent female character is just horse shit. We've established that Videl was given the shaft (pun) unfairly...so why do we just role over when we can have discussions to build toward a better future?

Like, fuck it. What else do we have to lose by being optimists?
Because it's only Videl, almost all of the ancillary elements of her role in the story (namely the high school setting and all it entailed) became irrelevant as soon as the pendulum swung back to large-scale baddies that the humans had already been priced out of, the actual problems I have with the Buu saga have little to do with her usage, and I also don't care if we ever get another Dragon Ball story again. The ship sailed with Z-Force Videl just by virtue of the Satanic nuts she came from and where she's introduced in the story.

On the flipside, Multiverse's take on the Human-verse Videl was pretty cool, although that character completely ceases to be the Videl that we know that has interesting things in her own right, being the daughter of the buffoon we grew to love hating (thus having a big ego for it that we the audience know is a total sham) and a total outsider to the nonsensical world that Gohan lives in.

The alternative would be introducing an entirely new character that's either an alien or comes from the same background as the Z-gang that would again, cease to be Videl. Not to make this about my nonsense, but for instance in my own story when I needed a Gohan that's growing up in Frieza's organization to have an ass-kicking female companion, I just came up with a character that looks like Videl but is an alien, while the actual Videl still exists on Earth.

All that's to say, I don't see the value Videl specifically has as a fighter. Now, the role that she is suited for was executed like a two-pack of ass in Super by turning her into a docile housewife instead of like, I dunno, a martial arts instructor or a police chief, but still. I'd sooner see the argument for why Android 18 needs to be more involved (and indeed, she should be) than Videl.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:28 pm

Why isn't what we got with her in Movies 11 and 12 enough exploration of the character? Shes having fun kicking butt with her Boo-Thang. Is it because it isn't part of the main continuity? Would it really have made all the difference if once we time skipped to the 28th tournament, we get caught up with everyone and next to Videl and Gohan's wedding photo is a Karate championship plaque with Videl's name on it? Is it really that important? Its almost like begging for crumbs.

When it comes to Super we gotta remember that Pan is still largely an infant at this point, Videl would most likely want to be as involved as possible to make sure she's safe. With her (Pan) being older in the upcoming movie Videl's role could potentially change, though its unlikely but you never know.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:14 am

Videl, a normal human, was never going to be a major player in the Boo arc.

That doesn’t make how her character was handled any less careless and borderline misogynistic

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:31 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:14 am Videl, a normal human, was never going to be a major player in the Boo arc.

That doesn’t make how her character was handled any less careless and borderline misogynistic
Exactly and here is another example Uppa is a normal human, just because he appeared in Dragon Ball doesn't mean he is anything different than a human.

Videl is a human, there is no need to change how she was written in DBZ.
Now RoF C18 makes no sense she was the superior stronger fighter, but she stayed behind while the weaker Krillin went to fight. Now that there is no excuse for that writing, in a invasion you bring your best fighters.

Videl training with Gohan for one month shouldn't make her weaker than General Blue to stronger than Krillin in less than a month. Now her training from end of Buu Saga to DBS with Gohan and Pan I can believe that she can get strong.

Krillin trained in a temple in his first appearance, he was already super human.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:19 am

Toriyama didn't know where he was going in the early part of the Buu arc. He was having fun righting a gag manga again and Videl's function in the story was different than if she was introduced in the more typical fighting manga DB. Making her super strong up front makes her a different character for better or worse. The Great Saiyaman story as we know it isn't possible if she's already strong. The entire point is the conflict stems from Videl's ignorance. If she's as strong as Julie seems to imply she should be, how does she not see through her father's facade?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:02 am

ABED wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:19 am Toriyama didn't know where he was going in the early part of the Buu arc. He was having fun righting a gag manga again and Videl's function in the story was different than if she was introduced in the more typical fighting manga DB. Making her super strong up front makes her a different character for better or worse. The Great Saiyaman story as we know it isn't possible if she's already strong. The entire point is the conflict stems from Videl's ignorance. If she's as strong as Julie seems to imply she should be, how does she not see through her father's facade?

Honestly the fact that it took her as long as it did to see her father was a fraud stretched the terms of believability. When she finally realizes that it was Gohan who defeated Cell it was more of a “Really girl?!?! You think?!?!?”

I just don’t think Videl getting the shit kicked out of her and then spending the rest of the arc crying over Gohan and then becoming his zen housewife was the best choice.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:32 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:54 pmVidel was stronger than her father (who's unquestionably the strongest normal human) despite mostly being self-taught and mastered bukujutsu in just two weeks. She definitely had potential to be an incredible fighter. She was unfortunately introduced way too late into the series.
Being stronger than Mr. Satan is not an accomplishment in the context of potential. Yamcha at the start of the series(at his lowest level of power) was self-taught and he was way stronger than Mr. Satan, enough so that he could strike Goku through a large stone structure and bring the whole thing down. The best Mr. Satan did in comparison was break a stone that he pulled out of the ground. Videl's strength, only being some amount higher than that, would be barely noticeable among even mid-tier fighters of the first arc of DB; she'd have gotten destroyed if she attempted to fight even BoDB Yamcha.
I could at least believe that Videl may have been able to have incredible fighting technique but not at all fighting strength as she just didn't demonstrate enough feats that she was incredibly powerful by even the standards of humans in DB.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:15 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:02 am
ABED wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:19 am Toriyama didn't know where he was going in the early part of the Buu arc. He was having fun righting a gag manga again and Videl's function in the story was different than if she was introduced in the more typical fighting manga DB. Making her super strong up front makes her a different character for better or worse. The Great Saiyaman story as we know it isn't possible if she's already strong. The entire point is the conflict stems from Videl's ignorance. If she's as strong as Julie seems to imply she should be, how does she not see through her father's facade?

Honestly the fact that it took her as long as it did to see her father was a fraud stretched the terms of believability. When she finally realizes that it was Gohan who defeated Cell it was more of a “Really girl?!?! You think?!?!?”

I just don’t think Videl getting the shit kicked out of her and then spending the rest of the arc crying over Gohan and then becoming his zen housewife was the best choice.
Toriyama typically writes his female characters in an almost weirdly alien manner from his male characters (which are themselves alien in comparison to the full spectrum of real world men). I feel like you highlighted this by bringing up how she's kept out of the loop for some long, both by the other characters and by Toriyama. We see this earlier with Blooma in how she wants to stop the Artificial Humans, for example, but the men all kind of just generally assume to follow Gokuu's path. Gokuu ostensibly being the lead male and the character that the 'male' audience is meant to self-insert as, it just comes across to me as Toriyama not really understanding anyone at all but because he is a male writing for a 'male' audience that polarizing alienated feeling for female characters comes across worst.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:33 am

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:15 am

Toriyama typically writes his female characters in an almost weirdly alien manner from his male characters (which are themselves alien in comparison to the full spectrum of real world men). I feel like you highlighted this by bringing up how she's kept out of the loop for some long, both by the other characters and by Toriyama. We see this earlier with Blooma in how she wants to stop the Artificial Humans, for example, but the men all kind of just generally assume to follow Gokuu's path. Gokuu ostensibly being the lead male and the character that the 'male' audience is meant to self-insert as, it just comes across to me as Toriyama not really understanding anyone at all but because he is a male writing for a 'male' audience that polarizing alienated feeling for female characters comes across worst.
How is Videl not knowing about Mr Satan being a fraud and Gohan being the one who beat Cell has anything to do with what Toriyama thinks of female?

In DB no one knew Piccolo Jr was connected to King Piccolo. No one knew Kami connection to King Piccolo and Piccolo, until he got sealed.

As for Bulma her idea for using the Dragon Balls to end the war before it starts was genius. (Guess where I got that line from).

When a male character gets beat up there is no problem, but when a female character gets beat up there is a problem.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:37 am

super michael wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:33 am

How is Videl not knowing about Mr Satan being a fraud and Gohan being the one who beat Cell has anything to do with what Toriyama thinks of female?

In DB no one knew Piccolo Jr was connected to King Piccolo. No one knew Kami connection to King Piccolo and Piccolo, until he got sealed.

As for Bulma her idea for using the Dragon Balls to end the war before it starts was genius. (Guess where I got that line from).

When a male character gets beat up there is no problem, but when a female character gets beat up there is a problem.
1. It's part of an established pattern with how Toriyama writes women and how he writes them in contrast to men.

2. When female characters in a series written, drawn, edited and published by men with the express aim of being read by young boys get the shit kicked out of them, yes, it's very bad and we should say this.

A boys series that I am currently reading is Black Clover. While it still has it's issues with how women are written (which at the very best might mostly stem from issues beyond Tabata's control) the women are at least written not just as powerful in combat but also as powerful personalities with storylines and character arcs that go beyond their romantic arcs. Noelle and Charlotte are really good, almost great in that respect.

A point that I am going to disagree with my esteemed male colleagues on with regards to Videl is how she became calm and zen. I actually don't like writing women in such a way that "tomboy means fighter, pastels mean powderpuff." I feel like that just re-enforces negative stereotypes and as a woman myself I want to spread the message that you can be any contrasting element you like. Women are complex beings, after all. My issue with Videl in Dragon Ball Super has always been how she is only 'half'. Not a bad half, just a 'half'. The misogyny comes into play in assuming that "becoming a mom means no more life/character arc outside of that!" Women can do both! Especially when they have their own personal fucking malewife like Son Gohan.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:01 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:37 am
super michael wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:33 am

1. It's part of an established pattern with how Toriyama writes women and how he writes them in contrast to men.

2. When female characters in a series written, drawn, edited and published by men with the express aim of being read by young boys get the shit kicked out of them, yes, it's very bad and we should say this.

A boys series that I am currently reading is Black Clover. While it still has it's issues with how women are written (which at the very best might mostly stem from issues beyond Tabata's control) the women are at least written not just as powerful in combat but also as powerful personalities with storylines and character arcs that go beyond their romantic arcs. Noelle and Charlotte are really good, almost great in that respect.

A point that I am going to disagree with my esteemed male colleagues on with regards to Videl is how she became calm and zen. I actually don't like writing women in such a way that "tomboy means fighter, pastels mean powderpuff." I feel like that just re-enforces negative stereotypes and as a woman myself I want to spread the message that you can be any contrasting element you like. Women are complex beings, after all. My issue with Videl in Dragon Ball Super has always been how she is only 'half'. Not a bad half, just a 'half'. The misogyny comes into play in assuming that "becoming a mom means no more life/character arc outside of that!" Women can do both! Especially when they have their own personal fucking malewife like Son Gohan.
If it is no problem can you expand on number 1 and 2? I am having trouble understanding what you mean, I rather not make any assumptions.

I watch the anime of Black Clover that is a good point, they have great personality and are powerful in battle and outside battles.

It doesn't make any sense why someone must have a certain personality due to whatever gender they are. If it is acceptable for Vegeta to be agressive, then Videl being a tomboy there is nothing wrong. Although being calm and zen isn't a bad trait, especially when it comes to martial art.

I will agree with you 100% on that just because Videl is a mum, that doesn't mean they she to give up her hobby, goals and dreams. She can do both be a mum and follow her hobby, goals and dream. She can do the things she likes with Pan when she is older.

Although Videl not falling for Barry trick was extremely smart of her, she knew that Barry was doing everything in his powers to ruin Gohan reputation and that Gohanw was tricked.