It’s literally such a SHAME how LAME and WASTED Videl became.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: It’s literally such a SHAME how LAME and WASTED Videl became.

Post by theherodjl » Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:59 pm

Videl becoming a wife & mother over a fighter can be character progression on her part. A lot of people are into more intense activities when they're young(er) and are often more energetic & passionate because they aim to find their place in life. However, a lot of people also slow down a bit after they have explored their curiosity towards certain activities and decide to pursue other goals in life in the meantime. Videl might like being a wife & mother but that doesn't necessarily mean she's given up on martial arts forever, just that she has differ priorities in her life at the moment.
She doesn't have to be Wonder Woman and live up to maintaining an image that may not be realistic or even possible. Videl could have more to offer in later events that don't rely on a martial arts background now that Pan is getting older.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:04 pm

I agree with MasenkoHa in essence. I have no issue with the beating but Toriyama could've given her more than the role of a housewife. Maybe teaching people martial arts and ki control. Being a newbie it seems like she could talk on the level of normie.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:59 pm

Videl was such a spark of life when she was introduced. I'd even go as far to say she had a Vegeta-like presence, except that it wasn't so much ego but actual confidence. Unfortunately it was all downhill following her pigtails being cut, and if we're being more specific following the Spopovich beatdown. I have no problem with her embracing the role of loving wife and mother, but that's all she is now. People rag on Chi-Chi, but there's still some semblance of who she was before her marriage.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:59 am

Yeah, I wish they would rely more on character interactions to thrust stories. Videl and Gohan operating as a couple, Videl interacting with Gokuu, Goten or, say, Blooma would be interesting.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

greatapebroly
Banned

Post by greatapebroly » Thu May 04, 2023 5:05 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:19 am I know it is and that I am being really unfair. But he should know how loaded that term is when referring to women.
really 💀you sound like some miserable sjw. videl is a regular ass human just like her father only difference is she can fly and barely use chi what the fuck do you expect.

she realized she wasn't on their level bc what would she have done against buu or in the tournament 😂
awsm

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 04, 2023 6:06 pm

greatapebroly wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 5:05 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:19 am I know it is and that I am being really unfair. But he should know how loaded that term is when referring to women.
really 💀you sound like some miserable sjw. videl is a regular ass human just like her father only difference is she can fly and barely use chi what the fuck do you expect.

she realized she wasn't on their level bc what would she have done against buu or in the tournament 😂
Oh no, an SJW.

Clearly the worst thing Cure has ever been called ever in the history of ever.

Anyhoo, the story can just not be written that way. It's not like the story exists out in nature and isn't controlled by humans.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

greatapebroly
Banned

Post by greatapebroly » Thu May 04, 2023 7:41 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:06 pm

Oh no, an SJW.

Anyhoo, the story can just not be written that way. It's not like the story exists out in nature and isn't controlled by humans.
Cure 💀 yeah never mind you're just a tiktok kid
awsm

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 04, 2023 8:03 pm

greatapebroly wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:41 pm

Oh no, an SJW.

Cure 💀 yeah never mind you're just a tiktok kid
Cure is 33 years old. He was an adult long before TikTok was created.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu May 04, 2023 8:04 pm

Cure SKULL!? That sounds KICKASS!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

greatapebroly
Banned

Post by greatapebroly » Thu May 04, 2023 8:12 pm

Oh no, an SJW.

and what do you mean the story can't exist that way 💀. That's just how it is. Videl wasn't and never will be on par with aliens. Go watch She Hulk or something that sounds fitting for you
awsm

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 04, 2023 10:32 pm

greatapebroly wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:12 pm

Oh no, an SJW.

and what do you mean the story can't exist that way 💀. That's just how it is. Videl wasn't and never will be on par with aliens. Go watch She Hulk or something that sounds fitting for you
Toriyama and JUMP Editorial made a conscious decision to make Videl weak. The production team of Dragon Ball Z made a conscious decision to follow Toriyama. I am saying both could have simply not done that. Making all your female characters weak and annoyances for your male characters is bad and that can and should simply be avoided.

I did watch She-Hulk! I thought the battles were the usual boring, poorly shot shit you get from most Hollywood productions.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

greatapebroly
Banned

Post by greatapebroly » Fri May 05, 2023 12:38 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:32 pm

Oh no, an SJW.

Toriyama and JUMP Editorial made a conscious decision to make Videl weak. The production team of Dragon Ball Z made a conscious decision to follow Toriyama. I am saying both could have simply not done that. Making all your female characters weak and annoyances for your male characters is bad and that can and should simply be avoided.

I did watch She-Hulk! I thought the battles were the usual boring, poorly shot shit you get from most Hollywood productions.
so you look past 18 chi chi launch and the universe 6 saiyans and only focus on videl.
awsm

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 05, 2023 1:02 am

greatapebroly wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:38 am

so you look past 18 chi chi launch and the universe 6 saiyans and only focus on videl.
I am not happy with the portrayal of #18, Chi-Chi and Lunch. They lack depth as characters and in their places within the story.

Kale and Caulifla are a good start but I want the production teams to continue to improve on the manner in which they portray women in Dragon Ball.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri May 05, 2023 7:14 am

Definitely, but I get the feeling that Toriyama never knew what do with her, much like he didn't know what to do with 18 after the Cell saga.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

greatapebroly
Banned

Post by greatapebroly » Fri May 05, 2023 7:52 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:02 am
greatapebroly wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:38 am

I am not happy with the portrayal of #18, Chi-Chi and Lunch. They lack depth as characters and in their places within the story.

Kale and Caulifla are a good start but I want the production teams to continue to improve on the manner in which they portray women in Dragon Ball.
that's how side characters work
awsm

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri May 05, 2023 9:03 am

I don't know who needs to hear this, but it's not mysoginistic to have female characters become mothers and take on a passive role.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri May 05, 2023 9:59 am

Call it whatever you want, but relegating practically every major female character in the (original) story to a passive mother role (which is what's being discussed, not simply "women becoming mothers" in the abstract) is definitely the product of viewing women in a very particular way which is entirely reasonable to take issue with.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri May 05, 2023 10:47 am

Yuji wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:03 am I don't know who needs to hear this, but it's not mysoginistic to have female characters become mothers and take on a passive role.
I don't know who needs to hear this (yes I do), but it is sexism when pretty much every major female character pre Super is ultimately reduced to the role of wife and mother.

There is nothing wrong with a woman wanting to only be a wife and mother.

But there is a problem when a work of fiction has is so that's the only option for women in the endgame.

There's no reason Videl's ultimate fate needs to be getting the shit knocked out of her and then spend the rest of the story crying for Gohan until she can become a homemaker and get a personality lobotomy.

There's no reason for 18 to stay at home with Marron when she's significantly stronger than Kuririn

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri May 05, 2023 11:02 am

Zephyr wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:59 am Call it whatever you want, but relegating practically every major female character in the (original) story to a passive mother role (which is what's being discussed, not simply "women becoming mothers" in the abstract) is definitely the product of viewing women in a very particular way which is entirely reasonable to take issue with.
And the male characters like Yamcha and Tenshinhan are relegated to loser loners with no life. If you're not a combatant or a character Toriyama is currently interested in using, then you'll fall to the wayside. Female characters becoming mothers serves as a more grounded and realistic reason for their passivity than just outright quitting.

In general, I don't think Toriyama is interested in writing female characters. He's a man writing for boys and he doesn't purport to be an amazing writer who can tap into the experience of people from all walks of life. If he's interested in writing about male characters then let him. Making female characters mothers is stereotypical but it's also what happens to, like, 99.9% of women in real life to begin with. It's hardly a bad example to be setting.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri May 05, 2023 11:24 am

Yuji wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:02 am
And the male characters like Yamcha and Tenshinhan are relegated to loser loners with no life.
And Goku gets to have a wife and kids and a grandkid and continue to engage in his ambition of becoming stronger

And Piccolo gets become an honorary member of the Son family and isn't expected to settle down

And Kuririn gets to become a cop and achieve his dream of getting married

And Gohan gets married has a kid becomes a scholar, moonlight as a super hero, and renew his interest in martial arts

Let's not forget that Tenshinhan had no interest in romance.

It's almost like the male characters are allowed different things where the major female characters pre-Caulifa and Kale get

Lunch- Spends the entire time as an old perverts housekeeper and favorite target of his sexual harassment gets written stating she went chasing after a man who has no interest in her

Bulma- Finally settles down with Vegeta and has a kid and spends the last arc of the original manga as a soccer mom comedy duo with Chi Chi

Chi Chi- Only ever written to be a punchline anyways as a nagging wife and mother

Videl- Trades in her personality and gumption to become Gohan's tradwife

18- Settles down with Kuririn and defers to him as head of household most of the time despite being way stronger.

. Making female characters mothers is stereotypical but it's also what happens to, like, 99.9% of women in real life to begin with. It's hardly a bad example to be setting.
99.9 of women don't become mothers and not much else.

It's not the mother part that is the issue. It's the "This is their only role in life now" that is the problem here.

And obviously Super fixes some of that with Kale and Caulifa and also letting Bulma be more of an active participant in the Zamasu arc.