It’s literally such a SHAME how LAME and WASTED Videl became.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: It’s literally such a SHAME how LAME and WASTED Videl became.

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 26, 2023 12:46 pm

BlueChi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:50 am
JulieYBM wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:10 pm I mean, it's one thing to toss in a random note of "Oh, she's got martial artists students now!" and another thing entirely to actually tell her story. Seeing is believing, as they say. She's ultimately as disregarded and alien to the story as she was during the original 1984 comic series, only now with slightly less overt misogyny.
At this point you're asking for Dragon Ball to not be Dragon Ball and switch genres.
I'd love for a slice-of-life DB spinoff, don't get me wrong, but it's pretty silly to complain that a battle shonen manga isn't showing us the daily struggles of a tertiary character's professional achievements. There's not even precedent for it with characters that had considerably much more screentime than Videl.

At the end of the day, Videl is unable to catch up with literal deities and she isn't Bulma, someone who can break the laws of reality with her intelligence. The logistics of jamming the jamming the character in the plot in any way that would feel natural is intimidating at best.
How in the world is that asking for Dragon Ball to switch genres? The woman runs a martial arts school, tell a story about her connecting with one of her students, that student running out of control for some reason that Videl can probably relate to and Videl needing to end the crisis (small-scale, large-sclae, it doesn't really matter), all while moving from a dealing with a personal struggle/character arc for her where we see her grow as a character. It's literally a material arts story in a comic that primarily focuses on martial arts!

Dragon Ball is so random that nothing out there can constitute as random, whether it's a story about Videl running a martial arts school or Videl awakening demon powers from her mother's side of the family and becoming the strongest character in the franchise.

Actually, I absolutely want Videl to overcome Beers before Gokuu and Vegeta. Let's have Videl kick the shit out of Freeza, while we're at it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Re: It’s literally such a SHAME how LAME and WASTED Videl became.

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:27 am

Dragon Ball became a superhero parody comic for an entire month after Cell was defeated, and that happened in Toriyama's original work, not in the anime adaptation, which has even more side stories focusing on other characters and telling different types of stories than what Dragon Ball typically does. I don't see the problem with a story focusing on Videl and her martial arts school, in fact, I think it would be a great opportunity to tell a unique and creative story with a character that really deserves more than she gets
she/they.