Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Alkiser » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:50 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:02 am
Cipher wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:23 pm
super michael wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:56 pm Here is a question, was it Toei or Toriyama who wrote what Goku said in the movie? I always assumed it was Toei, since Toei can't get enough of Goku being dumb and clueles, even going as far as contradicting DB which was written by Toriyama.

However I heard Toriyama is the only one that wrote the movie.
The script is Toriyama’s. No reason to assume Goku’s dialogue isn’t too, except for wishful thinking on the part of fans.
I understand thanks for the answer.

It is hard to believe Toriyama doesn't know his own character, he contradicted how Goku acts when it comes to meditation.

Goku can't remember the times meditation was useful in DB, which is written by Toriyama himself. Even in DBS anime and manga, even if Toriyama only give outline.
I'm assuming this is an addition from Toei, especially since it was in their anime that Goku was often what he was in terms of intelligence. The fact that Toriyama wrote the script slight that he is responsible for every detail that is in this film.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:56 am

It still amazes me how we gradually moved away from the subject of the Multiverse with the intrigues of the gods to get back to f*ck*n' Frieza and the old ass Red Ribbon and the Androids.

https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 3601249281

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:46 am

Dragmobot12 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:56 am It still amazes me how we gradually moved away from the subject of the Multiverse with the intrigues of the gods to get back to f*ck*n' Frieza and the old ass Red Ribbon and the Androids.

Honestly, I'm glad we did. The multiverse as a concept is so played out and tired, it feels like its consuming all media and has so little to offer. I was worried that when DBS introduced all those universes we'd have to suffer through some GT-like exploration arc where they met all these "remixed" versions of familiar characters, and we did see some of that in TOP, but hopefully not much more.

I do hope we see more from Zeno and his people, though.

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:45 am

capsulecorp wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:46 am
Dragmobot12 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:56 am It still amazes me how we gradually moved away from the subject of the Multiverse with the intrigues of the gods to get back to f*ck*n' Frieza and the old ass Red Ribbon and the Androids.

Honestly, I'm glad we did. The multiverse as a concept is so played out and tired, it feels like its consuming all media and has so little to offer. I was worried that when DBS introduced all those universes we'd have to suffer through some GT-like exploration arc where they met all these "remixed" versions of familiar characters, and we did see some of that in TOP, but hopefully not much more.

I do hope we see more from Zeno and his people, though.
Personally, one way that I think could make this concept work is through an anthology series. Say what you will about their varying levels of quality, but it can allow for more experimentation on the creators and expand the multiverse concept in ways that could be interesting while mot being too limiting, necessarily.

Of course, that's if Toei or Shueisha is even willing to be that off the wall. Frankly, SDBH was probably the best were going to get in an official manner at least.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:36 am

According to Herms, Toriyama confirms in his comment for DB Super Hero animemanga (book looking like a manga using anime screenshots) that Super Hero takes place "right before" the end of the manga. Looking to Pan's age should be around 1 year before or so. Since the movies have been having time skips, it would be great if the next would already be during EOZ at least.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:28 pm

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:34 pm

That is unpleasant news. What a shame.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:39 pm

You'd think after 2014 Kai, they'd know better. But this is Toei we're talking about, they're cheapskates that never learn their lesson (or how to read a room)
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:03 am

This movie is so fucking good. The stuff on Beers' planet is awful but the Piccolo scenes are just amazingly quaint. It's so nice seeing him have a rivalry. I thought that the Gammas and Doctor Hedo were all really nice additions that made the plot really come together. Gohan's screen time and transformation should have gone to Pan, though. Pan could use the development and Gohan just feels like he's there to placate his fans but as a result of his inclusion in the film he makes Pan come across as a third wheel when in reality so much more could have been done with Pan that wouldn't have come across as a barely aware rehash of Gohan nonsense.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:33 am

It's distracting how low quality the Goku and Vegeta scenes look compared to the rest of the movie :| maybe one day they'll do an updated version

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:04 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:36 am According to Herms, Toriyama confirms in his comment for DB Super Hero animemanga (book looking like a manga using anime screenshots) that Super Hero takes place "right before" the end of the manga. Looking to Pan's age should be around 1 year before or so. Since the movies have been having time skips, it would be great if the next would already be during EOZ at least.
While an official comment, I believe that it's more like it is really close or closest to the end so far, until they will publish another story that takes place in-between Super Hero and the end of the manga.

I wonder if we'll get another story or if this movie is the last.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:50 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:28 pm Blu-ray release of Super Hero is green tinted, as reported by Ajay.
Toei is reportedly looking into the green tint mistake.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:03 am This movie is so fucking good. The stuff on Beers' planet is awful but the Piccolo scenes are just amazingly quaint. It's so nice seeing him have a rivalry. I thought that the Gammas and Doctor Hedo were all really nice additions that made the plot really come together. Gohan's screen time and transformation should have gone to Pan, though. Pan could use the development and Gohan just feels like he's there to placate his fans but as a result of his inclusion in the film he makes Pan come across as a third wheel when in reality so much more could have been done with Pan that wouldn't have come across as a barely aware rehash of Gohan nonsense.
It really is! What a joy. So glad this movie was a success, both creatively and financially. Well, I care a lot less about the financial part, its just nice to see a lot of the haters refuted :D

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:42 pm

All the worlds a stage when your name is Dragonball so the spotlight that shines brightly on your triumphs(DBS Broly) also burns intensely even more than usual on your failures.
That’s exactly what this entire movie was a complete failure box office proves it and if that translated seminar about how this movie had roughly 600 animators on it (https://twitter.com/saku_5926/status/15 ... D3ebsY-m8Q) is true then you know they’re pissed they spent all that money on this flopping dogshit.

Marketing won't save a terrible movie. It's just spending good money after bad. It sounds like Toei knew just by reading the script it was a bad movie, but for various reasons, didn't want to just limit the damage up front.

& You know I also have a couple of questions:

1.if piccolo knew about the namekian potential unlock to turn into Tropicana piccolo why not do that oh I don’t know during the during the cell saga or buu saga instead of namekian fusion?

2. How does the red ribbon have technology to battle near god level beings. Why not make an army of the crappy ultraman ripoffs why have human recruits in the first place.

3 How do you explain Gohan blanco without using head-canon. Why didn’t that form appear in other times when he got angry post BOG? How is it automatically stronger than Master Ultra instinct Goku? How the fuck is this “payoff moment” that had no setup whatsoever swept under the rug yet Ultra Ego which at least had training montage was raked over the coals By the fandom for being “unearned”.

4) Wasn’t everyone else on earth memory wiped after the buu saga? How did the red ribbon know about buu?

See how none of the shit in this movie (among other things) makes any logical sense in-universe. The CG wasn’t the reason this failed. Slam Dunk movie is proving that wrong cause it’s killing it at the box office in Japan. It’s the shitty writing that was the final nail in the coffin.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:45 am

The Dolby Vision on the 4K looks... off? I dunno. My copy of the movie came in today and I feel like scenes set in the day looked kinda weird. Specifically after Gohan turns Ultimate at the Red Ribbon base. Some of the colours looked funny in a couple of scenes. I couldn't really put my finger on what the problem was. Maybe it was the green tint?

The movie sounds great though. Hearing that climax play through a Dolby Atmos sound system was crazy good. The cracking sound of lightning and the hissing of Gohan powering up the Makankosappo sounded so intense. That's something I appreciated a whole lot more after watching the film again. This is easily the best sound mixing I've heard in any DB film.

Also upon rewatching the film the non-action scenes on Beerus' home world do look jarring. Just the way Whis is animated feels so janky compared to the rest of the film. There's also a couple of shots in the first fight between Piccolo and Gamma 2 that looked off. But other than that? The film honestly looks great. Pretty much all the action that takes place at the Red Ribbon base looks fantastic. Another thing I also noticed is that pretty much all the background characters in this film are hand-drawn (except the Red Ribbon goons). The scene at Pan's kindergarten had all hand-drawn humans in the background. They blended in so well.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:13 pm

4K release is also green tinted, as reported by Ajay.

https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/16 ... rpzfQ&s=19

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:08 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:13 pm 4K release is also green tinted, as reported by Ajay.

https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/16 ... rpzfQ&s=19
I'm that that they've been notified of this issue! I would hate to see the problem spread any further!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:40 pm

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:32 am

Not sure if this is against the rules, but does anyone who owns the movie know where I can find an English subtitle file for it? I've seen the movie two times already, and while it's not that difficult to understand, I still would like to properly watch it now that I have the Blu-ray.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:08 am

DBZfan29 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:32 am Not sure if this is against the rules, but does anyone who owns the movie know where I can find an English subtitle file for it? I've seen the movie two times already, and while it's not that difficult to understand, I still would like to properly watch it now that I have the Blu-ray.
I heard there are bluray players that actually support srt subtitle files.
The world is your's.