Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Noah » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:27 am

Finally watched the movie on theaters and after the whole thing, I felt a bit sad... not because the movie was bad per se, but because it didn't atract any decent audience. I watched one week after its premiere on a friday night and guess what? Not even fifteen people watching couting with me!
I know I said before I hoped this film to fail badly so Toei and Toriyama could put more effort in their stories and not assume fans would eat any sh*t they do, but part of me also wanted an engaging audience as the last movie I could hear laughs, watch expressions of joy and amazement, guess we can blame the premise on that.

My thoughts about:

- This was heavily influenced by Marvel Cinematic Universe, not only because Super Heroes being part of the theme, but hell just check the soundtrack, camera, the fights felt little similar, character vanishing like Thanos finger snap and where was the last time a DB movie had a post credit scene? Didn't knew Toriyama was such a fan or it was Toei choice to try mimic these movies.

- The introduction scenes were just amazing, I wish the whole movie was animated like that, the beginning made me feel how missed opportunity is this franchise to never attempt to remake original DB.

- So Dr. Hedo is Gero grandson, but with a childlike appearance and the Red Ribbon Army were doing their thing under the name of a pharmaceutical company, it didn't seem convoluted at all. Also Hedo not knowing much about his grandfather explains he not sharing his madness and desires for revenge. Magenta could be a more interesting character than a copy of what was Commander Red, but I guess Toriyama like these type of villains.

- Piccolo and Pan scenes were wonderful I really like the bond between these two. Piccolo scolding Gohan for not having time to be with his daughter and slacking off (as always) were on point and even knowing by spoilers on this thread, didn't really imagine he would use Pan to show Gohan he really needs to be on shape, but it was a good touch.

- The Gammas were interesting characters though I still don't like much their design and guess power level wise they are somewhat Blue-level? Nah, not going to scratch my head with it...

- Dende suggesting Piccolo to just use the DBs to get rid of Red Ribbon Army and noticing that wouldn't be the case because of his pride was a nice callback to the same mistake they did back in the Android arc.

- The wish to have his Potential Unlocked, well I guess I could pass on that, but Piccolo could have done this before, no? I mean the Tournament of Power was a bigger threat than these new dudes and yet he fell like he could take on the same way he was?
Bulma wish to have a big butt was not really funny nor the camera focusing on the same part before.

- The CGI was tolerable until we get into Beerus's Planet, it felt misplaced and really wonky at times... And what about all the fuss about Beerus assaulting Cheelai? People could correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw nothing of that.

- Fights were good, but lacked impact compared to the last movie, Piccolo new forms were passable, but I still feel that deserved to be developed better in arc (which also serves for Beast Gohan).

- Gohan loosing the senzu was the worst joke of the movie, but it served was an interesting bit to explain that his vision is improved when transformed and in base and/or injured in battle it came back to normal. Explaining why he wasn't able to catch the Potara earring back in Boo arc.

- Cell Max is not bad was I though it would, but the type of villain that not amuse me in the slightest just like Bio Broly.

- Toriyama probably has something against Boo, because he always use the same excuse for him to be not involved in the fight, either way I liked to see everyone fighting together, but the end was really cheesy and a obvious reference to the Cell Games. The only cool thing was Gohan using the Makankosappo something that we only saw on videogames.

- Bulma offering a job to Hedo to do beauty products that could serve to improve her skin is akin to their characters, but guess something goes wrong because one year later she will need to look like an old lady to not contradict Goku statement the original manga lol

- Post credit scene was meh... Vegeta won, but he still feels like he needs to surpass Goku in the end (manga). Also Broly and Lemo were crying because of what?

Conclusion: it was a decent movie (6/10), way better than RoF, Piccolo was in his best and had the best highlight since he fused with Kami, Pan is cute and better used here than some of GT, Gohan's slacking off is getting old and I hope this is the last time we had a story about this same theme.
But still I keep the same thought this could be much more if had the same animation was its predecessor and didn't waste time on unecessary transformations, but that's modern DB and they need to sell toys.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JimmyRustam
Beyond Newbie

Post by JimmyRustam » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:56 am

I've seen this image floating around. Was this drawn by Toriyama? And is there a reason why we haven't seen HIS "Beast Gohan" design yet?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:38 am

JimmyRustam wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:56 am Image
I've seen this image floating around. Was this drawn by Toriyama? And is there a reason why we haven't seen HIS "Beast Gohan" design yet?
That's fanart from Twitter

JimmyRustam
Beyond Newbie

Post by JimmyRustam » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:48 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:38 am
JimmyRustam wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:56 am Image
That's fanart from Twitter
Alright thanks, that's what I thought.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:17 am

Saw the movie again.

Toriyama was messing with the audience in regards to Gohan.

The movie hammered in Gohan's rustiness: get's punched, doesn't recognize Piccolo, complains about weighted clothing, etc. This was bait.

Piccolo is representative of the public, who wants Gohan to thrive and sees his lack of training(apparently) as regression.
When Gohan gets mad at one point, Piccolo even turns to the camera and :thumbup:

Gohan did indeed train, the product of such training gave the victory.

As for the reasons for Toriyama's choice?

Could be a statement about what he wants from Gohan; a secondary character who relies on Goku/Vegeta but might pull off a win in an arc.
Or he was just trolling us for fun.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:28 am

LightBing wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:17 am Saw the movie again.

The movie hammered in Gohan's rustiness: get's punched, doesn't recognize Piccolo, complains about weighted clothing, etc. This was bait.

Piccolo is representative of the public, who wants Gohan to thrive and sees his lack of training(apparently) as regression.
When Gohan gets mad at one point, Piccolo even turns to the camera and :thumbup:

Could be a statement about what he wants from Gohan; a secondary character who relies on Goku/Vegeta but might pull off a win in an arc.
I legit feel like a lot of Super Hero's content was Toriyama trying to see just how much he could troll the audience that's been asking for various things over the years leading up to this movie (Gohan being a badass again, Cell returning for a rematch, Goten and Trunks looking their age+older Gotenks, etc.).

Honestly, there are times where I feel like Toriyama legitimately feels like Gohan's arc has since come to an end (Unlike Goku, whose goal is technically never-ending, Gohan's dream actually does have some level of finality to it). Heck, Super Hero was originally going to be even MORE Piccolo-focused than what we got, but the idea to add Gohan into the mix was suggested by the DB Room. Combine that with how sparingly Gohan was used in Super 1.0, and I kind of see why Gohan wasn't a major player in Super till now.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:06 pm

Does anyone else feel like Toriyama might have found inspiration in kid Gru for Dr Hedo ?
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/villa ... 0815142903
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/drago ... -prefix=es

I apoogize in advance if the images don't work, but you know the one from despicable me, when he is a child.
Also the androids are Yellow, like the minions.... just saiyan' :roll:

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:45 am

The Piccolo "YES" moment to the camera made me laugh

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:08 pm

It's a troll move. Not only is Gohan's first big role under Toriyama's pen in ages more of him not training while Piccolo complains about it, but it's just a flagrant regurgitation of the Cell arc. Gohan unlocks a more ridiculous take on his SS2 power, he kills a stupid version of Cell with Piccolo's move and help like he did with Goku decades ago. His character has gone nowhere at all in decades. It's hilarious.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Zekken

Post by Zekken » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:02 pm

Digged the movie saw it twice once in IMAX second in 4DX!

As fot the plot: This movie is sooooo Toriyama, like legit, and the plot oh boi no one writes story like Toriyama does ,outside of the Beerus planet stuff( which worked well as leviator form the main plot) the story just flows so seamlessly together. Tori was able to write a story that ONLY he CAN and 1 that ONLY really works in Dragon Ball with all the classic Dragon ball charm to boot. This movie it totally a comedy do not get it twisted there is more comedy than there is action lol. But tbh much of the comedy didn't really hit in my area i think like its very Toriyama and somewhat too japanese. (need to say, saw 1 person woman leave theater and may not`ve come back) If youre a fan of dragon ball the manga from chapter 1-519 then you owe it to yourself to watch this movie more than once, and for a completely different reason than with Broly, I'm not the sort of person to give out these types compliments easy. One bad thing in my experience and what i 100% everyone in my theater was feeling was that there was so much info dump at the start of the movie and it would totally not be an issue if the movie wasnt subtitled cuz for me and some other people i think is that we had a lot of workload trying to keep up with everything said reading subs and also trying to watch the visuals and the tons of character acting, you do get used to it but was sorta unexpected. Sadly here in Norway we only got subbed version no Dub:(

AND THE CHARACTERS!! Oh man does Toriyama know these characters so well!! I'm not kidding you the animation team and Toriyama might as well been the same person, cuz the character acting and they way so many characters bounce off each other is smooth and you actually feel like they're so "alive" Man no one Legit No one can write Bulma like Toriyama does she's such a joy (for better or worse) in this movie. oh man. And the Gamma's especially Gamma #2, they did so well with him. They actually pulled off making you aware of this character and he definitely makes an impact on you, all that for a new character in 1 movie, well done. Pan is good too, Piccolo gets so much love,

The fighting and animaton: The 3DCGI is legit sooooo unnoticeable. I'm 100% not kidding, only time it gets a little iffy is on the Beerus planet( & if you didnt know beforehand you may not even notice that) For the fighting in my honest opinion its not as punchy as with 2D animation especially with the likes of DBS: Broly. It's not about the smoothness that was totally on point but rather on the impact stills. Usually if you know how DBZ have been animated traditionally in whats sort of called the "kanada school" of drawings where you focus pose to pose movement with VERY STRONG key drawings. Where once a hit lands you see speed lines camera shake and the pose is held for quite some time. Think of when like you see a dramatic gut punch like gOku v Frieza or Gohan v Cell. Its just so RAW! But here that was lacking for me as it didnt seem they were put such a emphasis on except for a couple maybe one time. And another thing with the fighting they didnt last long enough, not long enough for me to feel like the combatants were really grinding each other out. And the fight scenes are ussually so interrupted by comedy, or dialogue(this happened quite a few times) so p the fight couldn't really marinate. This is Dragon Ball I live for the fights here and honestly I kinda feel let down by them. I loved it in DBS Broly and it feels like TOEI got too many complaints about that movie having never ending fight scenes so they took care too break up every one. And it suffered for that.

Villians & Threat: Yeah to be honest the villians here work for this outing although I wouldnt say they work for a blockbuster film tho. This feels real in the Dragon Ball world cuz the way the plot make it out everything is sensible, but just for the sheer lack of scope of the villian, like cmon its an Earth threat and the way they're not felt intimidating for so long in the movie. You kinda dont feel in danger and its totally by design mind you, but for something to be a total DBZ blockbuster the villians cant be like this. Until the end of the movie where with the final villian it does make out to be dangerous so you get a bit of that peril in there but compare to previous villians it could've felt more dire. So by design this aint meant to be the end all be all of DBZ villiany and tension, but you do still get invested due to how the plot tie the villians together they're character work and overall balance.

Forms & power ups: I already kew about the forms going in and personally I was not that big a fan of all of Piccolo's forms going in. But I am definitely now, also the way Piccolo got his new forms came of way better once you actually see it in the movie theater. I still feel like transformations tied to character arcs like they were in majoirty of Z is 100& the benchmark but the way it was spun here while not to that level of Z it still went over well. And as for the designs for Piccolo i was worried his face wouldnt look like himself anymore but i was totally wrong. Still piccolo and while his 1st transformation was majorly scoffed at his second one was soo Great. Legit one of the best moments in the theater, his big bulky design just its display was so great. As for Gohan it was definitely the highlight of the movie no doubt about that, By design it should be best scene and it was, But it lasted so little tho & I'm afraid TOEI knew if people stay with the form for too long you sorta realize how ridiculous the hair size is( which i hope they change in the future) But the way the handled it was good.

Overall TLdr; while in my personal opinion I like DBS Broly better any Dragon ball fan from OG upto Z owe it to themselves to watch this movie!!

(PS. Lastly that after credit scene hahaha^, you wouldnt believe Toriyama really played around with THAT hahahah)
Better to have tried and failed
rather than have done nothing at all

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:57 pm

We need a team of anti-heroes in Dragon Ball, whether it's an anime series or a movie.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:46 pm

Checked the local listings in Toronto today and noticed all but 4 theatres have stopped playing DBS Super Hero already. Good thing I saw it when I can.
The world is your's.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:04 am

Noah wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:27 am Finally watched the movie on theaters and after the whole thing, I felt a bit sad... not because the movie was bad per se, but because it didn't atract any decent audience. I watched one week after its premiere on a friday night and guess what? Not even fifteen people watching couting with me!
Well, here in Norway there were 5 at my first viewing and 4 at my second viewing...

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:12 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:04 am
Noah wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:27 am Finally watched the movie on theaters and after the whole thing, I felt a bit sad... not because the movie was bad per se, but because it didn't atract any decent audience. I watched one week after its premiere on a friday night and guess what? Not even fifteen people watching couting with me!
Well, here in Norway there were 5 at my first viewing and 4 at my second viewing...
I was the only person at my screening here in the west of Ireland. I wanted to go a second time but sadly its no longer running, so hopefully the Blu-Ray will be out soon.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:52 pm

Giant Piccolo spotted outside Hong Kong to promote DBS Super Hero. 🤣🤣🤣

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5535110 ... 772618663/
The world is your's.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:50 pm

Dragmobot12 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:57 pm We need a team of anti-heroes in Dragon Ball, whether it's an anime series or a movie:
The are two issues with that concept:

1- Super!Broly unlike his original counterpart is portrayed as pure hearted brute, much like The Hulk.
If he had a personality much like Namek arc Vegeta, it would fit.

2- I don't see any reasons to why Mr. (Super) Boo would join these guys.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:17 pm

Dragmobot12 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:57 pm We need a team of anti-heroes in Dragon Ball, whether it's an anime series or a movie.

I just want something with Hit and Frost. I think those two would make an interesting partnership.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:15 am

With TOEI's pedigree, I am dreading the possibility of Dragon Ball getting spin-off. It's one way to go a bit sideways with major/main established characters, as the what came before and was successful is basically doing a lot of heavy lifting in derivative works, but even if any original idea going away from the established status quo might be interesting and have a tons of potential, TOEI will screw it up... they won't have the idea at all to begin with, thank god.

To anyone interested, look up Saint Seiya Omega. They did after years spin-off with new characters... Screwed up the lore with mixing in Roman Gods just to not step on the toes of the pre-established and yet not finished Greek Mythology that Kurumada re-invented for the series and the Roman Gods make no sense – and I don't mean only to the original, but itself in the story, the new lore is total mess and doesn't make sense to itself... The designs are horrendous. They have switched from "super sentai/knights" concept to magical girls as the cloths look like fitness body suits and not like armor anymore, come from crystals/pendants instead of armor boxes (for that there is Saintia Sho, which handles the female take on SS much better). Introduced elemental power system like in Pokémon.
It was horrible. Only good thing that came from that was a composer replacement after late Seiji Yokohama for Toshihiko Sahashi of Gundam Seed etc. who is also known for his epic orchestral scores and is the go to Saint Seiya composer.
And it fits and keeps the atmosphere of original and works! If Kenji Yamamoto wasn't a hack and plagiator, as he was actually great arranger and musician by skill, it would be the same for Dragon Ball franchise.
But please, TOEI, no original spin-offs! Maybe, be a bit brave and introduce some cool original story in video game. Which also doesn't happen much.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:44 pm

Has anyone been able to buy the Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero collectible cards from Moumou Club in Hong Kong? Really liking the old DBZ Cardass vibe from these cards and would really want to buy them somehow. So much nostalgia collecting DBZ Cardass.
The world is your's.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:50 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:15 am To anyone interested, look up Saint Seiya Omega.
I honestly liked it. I know it was a different style to the original Saint Seiya, but at least it didn't (really) rehash the Sanctuary arc and had new bosses for once. And the 2nd saga was a new thing altogether.