Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goku9001
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Goku9001 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:08 am

Frieza isn't recognized as one of the strong guys that Goku and Vegeta need to overcome so the manga will inherently have some differences regarding that.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:54 am

I can see the manga's adaptation making some annotations and additions to the film's script, but I doubt there'll be any significant differences or inherent contradictions between the two.

It'll likely play out like an "extended edition" of sorts – which could be for the better, given some of the climax's more glaring faults. Goten and Trunks already have actual personalities in the manga.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:42 am

Miracles wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:34 am
Alkiser wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:14 am
Miracles wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:13 pm

What if there are no differences between the movie and the manga. However, the manga just continues to add supplemental material to DBS: Super Hero movie? Like it did with this DBS Super Hero prequel arc.

There are already differences and the movie plot hasn't started yet, Kuririn knew about RR 3 months before Piccolo discovered they existed, and Dr. Hedo who for 2 chapters pursued Goten and Trunks when in the movie he didn't even pay attention to them.
And nothing in the movie contradicted that Super Hero prequel info that connected to the Super Hero movie. It fits.

The very fact that Kuririn knew about it for more than three months and didn't say anything to anyone despite the fact that they posed a threat is contradictory. The film shows that the whole intrigue was discovered by Piccolo, and Kuririn in the film was quite accidental because Bulma gathered a team of people who were around.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:44 pm

Alkiser wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:42 am
Miracles wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:34 am
Alkiser wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:14 am

There are already differences and the movie plot hasn't started yet, Kuririn knew about RR 3 months before Piccolo discovered they existed, and Dr. Hedo who for 2 chapters pursued Goten and Trunks when in the movie he didn't even pay attention to them.
And nothing in the movie contradicted that Super Hero prequel info that connected to the Super Hero movie. It fits.

The very fact that Kuririn knew about it for more than three months and didn't say anything to anyone despite the fact that they posed a threat is contradictory. The film shows that the whole intrigue was discovered by Piccolo, and Kuririn in the film was quite accidental because Bulma gathered a team of people who were around.
Krillin said his department only "thinks" RR started up again. Hedo was only charged with stealing bodies and zombifying them. He can't alert the team on a suspicion and especially when it is a police matter. Piccolo naturally would discover RR after personally fighting a Gamma.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:31 pm

Goku9001 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:08 am Frieza isn't recognized as one of the strong guys that Goku and Vegeta need to overcome so the manga will inherently have some differences regarding that.
Well lets look at what Goku actually says...

Notice how Goku is speaking in general about universe 7. That there are guys "like" Jiren and Broly.

Then he says" loads of other amazing folks." Freeza easily fits into that broad non specific category.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:09 am

Miracles wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:31 pm
Goku9001 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:08 am Frieza isn't recognized as one of the strong guys that Goku and Vegeta need to overcome so the manga will inherently have some differences regarding that.
Well lets look at what Goku actually says...

Notice how Goku is speaking in general about universe 7. That there are guys "like" Jiren and Broly.

Then he says" loads of other amazing folks." Freeza easily fits into that broad non specific category.
It wouldn't matter. Jiren and Broly were the first ones to come to mind.

You'd think the guy who one-shotted them after all of their efforts to be the strongest of U7 would be mentioned but he wasn't. The script was under development well before Broly and it's been confirmed that the movie serves as a direct continuation of Broly. There's no need to assume Black Frieza was considered here. It's obvious that he was not.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:24 am

Goku9001 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:09 am The script was under development well before Broly and it's been confirmed that the movie serves as a direct continuation of Broly.
Obviously, but you're missing Miracles's point. The verbiage of the statement ("and loads of other amazing folks!") is intentionally vague so as to include any other character/form that might be added later to the series before the time frame of Super Hero. Whoever wrote that line - presumably Toriyama - was well aware of the possibility that Super's serialized format would have Goku and Vegeta encounter other enemies first, even if they weren't yet developed at the time.

It's non-exclusionary, and therefore not really contradictory to later material. With that said, I'm sure the manga's version will do more to specifically reference those events post-Broly.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:34 pm

Broly hiding from Freeza already leaves the door open for him being a proper threat anyway. Obviously they weren't going to spoil Black Freeza in the movie.

Even if the movie's script was written before the Granolah Saga was even conceived, I'm sure the Dragon Ball Room was going to be sure there were no contradictions. Now I don't think the movie is canon to the manga (They're doing a manga of the movie right now), but it's at least a smooth experience for the casual manga reader to understand back when it was released. It's not like Goku whipped out a Kaio-Ken in the middle of the movie and said he hasn't fought anyone since Broly and Jiren.

The mini saga has some overlaps with the movie, but they're completely irrelevant. So what that Kuririn knew about the RRA? He didn't know where their base was, and Piccolo himself only found out because he followed Gamma 2. So what that Hedo knew about Goten and Trunks? They were just two kids that stole his disc, he got it back and that's it. We saw in the movie he or the RRA had been keeping tabs on everyone up to Majin Boo.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:05 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:24 am
Goku9001 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:09 am The script was under development well before Broly and it's been confirmed that the movie serves as a direct continuation of Broly.
Obviously, but you're missing Miracles's point. The verbiage of the statement ("and loads of other amazing folks!") is intentionally vague so as to include any other character/form that might be added later to the series before the time frame of Super Hero. Whoever wrote that line - presumably Toriyama - was well aware of the possibility that Super's serialized format would have Goku and Vegeta encounter other enemies first, even if they weren't yet developed at the time.

It's non-exclusionary, and therefore not really contradictory to later material. With that said, I'm sure the manga's version will do more to specifically reference those events post-Broly.
I actually understood exactly what he said. It's not a contradiction but not necessarily proof that Black Frieza was considered. Trying to impose that he absolutely was when a producer blatantly stated that it was in development prior to future arcs being produced is blatantly wrong. The only thing we are told is that Super Hero's placement within the timeline is to provide freedom and flexibility for Toyotaro to work with. That is at all not indicative of Black Frieza being considered in the narrative.

I won't deny that the manga would definitely work with this because Black Frieza is the strongest. It would make the most sense.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:28 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:54 am I can see the manga's adaptation making some annotations and additions to the film's script, but I doubt there'll be any significant differences or inherent contradictions between the two.

It'll likely play out like an "extended edition" of sorts – which could be for the better, given some of the climax's more glaring faults. Goten and Trunks already have actual personalities in the manga.
This is one thing I noticed as well. The manga adaptation seems to be making sure the characters who play a role in the climax (even if #18 is just there via connection to Kuririn) have a little more investment in events, such that it winds up feeling more like a general "meanwhile, on Earth" story in context of the manga, rather than just a "meanwhile, with Gohan and Piccolo" one.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the movie as is, but that's a fine way to recontextualize it for a serialized version following other recent arcs.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:45 pm

In DBS: Broly, Vegeta's reasons for training was Freeza. Afraid of his incredible potential. Referencing how in F: Resurrection F; Freeza training for the first time in his life allowed him to be more powerful than both Blue Goku and Vegeta. We see this talent carried over in the manga where Freeza one shots the top three in the universe consecutively. Now I know it's uncertain but I don't think it's going to be a coincidence why Broly has to be hidden from Freeza, in order "to be safe" in DBS: Super Hero.

With all that build up, Freeza fits [not imposing] into Goku's "loads of amazing guys like" Broly and Jiren in the world.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:30 pm

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:03 pm

Dr. Robobuttlifts had me tip over from laughing so hard!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:45 am

Is this supposed to be funny?

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:59 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:45 am
Yeah...?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:14 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:59 am
sangofe wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:45 am
Yeah...?
Honestly, wasn't funny at all for me.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:04 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:49 pm
ZeroNeonix wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:44 pm
The Monkey King wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:34 pmOne last thing, this film's name is fucking stupid.
From the man who gave us Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, you're surprised we'd get a name like Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero? He probably gave the title that redundancy on purpose.
I swear sometimes some fans can't take a gag lightly
I know I'm being extremely petty quoting posts from over a year ago, but I feel so vindicated.

Quote from Akira Toriyama himself regarding the movie's dumb name:

The Godlike infallible qualities fans give Toriyama sometimes is really annoying.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:54 am

The Monkey King wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:04 am I know I'm being extremely petty quoting posts from over a year ago, but I feel so vindicated.

Quote from Akira Toriyama himself regarding the movie's dumb name:

The Godlike infallible qualities fans give Toriyama sometimes is really annoying.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:38 am

Picked up the Blu-Ray now it's finally out here in Australia and rewatched it.

God this movie is so good. It makes me so happy that it exists. I know it's a cliche, but I feel like a little kid watching it.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:17 pm

The Monkey King wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:04 am Quote from Akira Toriyama himself regarding the movie's dumb name:

It's important to remember not to take everything Toriyama says at face value. Still, if true, this is funny.