Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Ajay » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:47 pm

DBZfan29 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:32 am Not sure if this is against the rules, but does anyone who owns the movie know where I can find an English subtitle file for it? I've seen the movie two times already, and while it's not that difficult to understand, I still would like to properly watch it now that I have the Blu-ray.
Here ya go.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:14 pm

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie
Location: hehe dromaeosaurids,, (icon drawn by @/FeralWolf1234)

Post by DiloVortexx » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:03 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:14 pm Toei response to the green tint: https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/16 ... EBLbA&s=19
and once again modern toei animation shows they have trouble making decent home releases and trying to act like the fuck ups they did were intentional 😭 like ???? did yall even look at the theatrical release and the actual colours on your reference sheets? like help????? also me too @ what ajay said mfg.. why is it that a company from france that had to use a transfer thats almost 20 years old can do a better home media release than the original creators of said media :crazy: (well imo anyway it looks a lot better than the releases we've gotten recently anyway even if its an ai upscale which i know some people arent a fan of.. which is 100% valid!!)

like please all we want is a release that accurately portrays or at least portrays it as accurately as possible depending on what footage youre using of the show we like, is that so hard to ask for? i'm trying not to be like too upset or mean sounding abt this bc like i know that making colour corrections that follow model sheets or what the show is supposed to look like can be hard especially for so many frames.. but come on its 2022.. every other home media release for movies and shit is perfectly fine, why in tf cant we get criterion collection kinda shit for dragon ball 😭 they have the actual film prints they should be able to pull out perfectly fine releases with no problem, maybe upscale it a little if you want, colour correct it and please i want to see more releases with broadcast audio.. that id be perfectly fine with lol

anyways yea sorry for my lil rant just man.. i cant be the only one whos getting tired of releases for this franchise being like this time and time again lol
Dilo/Volt/Kareol/Zhadio -- Demiromantic pansexual demiboy (transmasc non-binary; goes by he/him, they/them, xe/xem/xyrs and raptorself pronouns!! to see more of my preferences regarding gender, sexuality and pronouns, click here!

dilo is pronounced dye - low, kareol is pronounced kah - rey - ohl (like bowl) and zhadio is pronounced zah - dee - ohh for those who may have trouble pronouncing my names! ^^")

autistic digital artist who likes drawing creatures and monsters and also they really like dragon ball lol (i may post dragon ball related oc art as well.. cuz i've done that a few times)
since i'm used to the lgbtq+ focused side of the fandom, those are usually the kind of topics youll see me post in if any of those pop up : o bc i have a pretty queer reading of the series ^^"

oh, you don't know what neopronouns are all about? well, have a resource for that!!
want to know how to use tone indicators to help out neurodivergent people to understand your words better? click here!

if you see me randomly type a bunch of letters like SDHFJFJGHD, thats just a thing in the lgbtq+ community called keysmashing which is usually used to show someone is laughing (either nervously or bluntly and so on and so forth)
if you need any help learning about lgbtq+ terms and such, feel free to ask! i will try my best to help out ^^

goten and trunks are gay and trans ♥

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:11 am

See, the thing about properly remastering 25-30 year-old footage is that it does indeed take some work. This seems to be a case where the most actual effort Toei has to put in is admitting there's even a fucking problem. It is unreal to me that they could be this stuck-up when they clearly know there is a difference.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:16 am

Haha, insane. Well, the green tint is an artistic choice, here you go :lol:
It's almost like Zack Snyder's Justice League in 4:3 format, just because and the black and white version.

Did they try to emulate the green / orange color pallete and failed hard?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:10 am

So apparently judging by the reply they're either legit that blind or willfully ignorant, the corporate suits ar Toei are pulling out the old "This was an artistic choice" excuse to deflect from their screw up. Sure, how about the green on Kai: TFC or DBS: Broly. Were those just intentional artistic choices too?

This reminds me of Lucasfilm's response to the controversy over the color issues with the 2004 DVD releases of the further altered Special Editions of the original Star Wars trilogy which were part of the restoration by Lowery Digital. In which George and co basically tried to defend it as "deliberate creative decisions" as if the altered color pallet of the films in general, the shifted lightsaber colors and all the other crap was something they intended in order to excuse their mistakes or deflect criticism there. This is in addition to the crushed blacks, digital overprocessing/oversaturation and other numerous issues which plagued said master used in 2004 and recycled for the Blu-ray sets in 2011. Which were eventually fixed for the later 4K/BD releases in 2019 onward.

https://savestarwars.com/specialeditionfail.html
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:13 pm

The former Manga UK was able to get a correctly colored version of Broly for their release of that movie once the tint was brought to their attention, so obviously nothing artistic about it. I am almost inclined to think that this is a quick and dirty way to make an "anti-seizure" version of the movie for Japanese TV broadcast, and that keeps getting used for the home video version. It would at least explain why it has happened more than once. We might be able to save the international releases if people start telling Crunchyroll now, but even then, this is not a song and dance the customer should have to repeatedly do.
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:03 am This movie is so fucking good. The stuff on Beers' planet is awful but the Piccolo scenes are just amazingly quaint. It's so nice seeing him have a rivalry. I thought that the Gammas and Doctor Hedo were all really nice additions that made the plot really come together. Gohan's screen time and transformation should have gone to Pan, though. Pan could use the development and Gohan just feels like he's there to placate his fans but as a result of his inclusion in the film he makes Pan come across as a third wheel when in reality so much more could have been done with Pan that wouldn't have come across as a barely aware rehash of Gohan nonsense.
I do wonder what a version of the movie with more Pan would have looked like. Gohan would still be enough of a combatant to have his funny dynamic with Piccolo, and he was going to be an albatross whether he got too much or too little screen time. It was nice to have a lighter Dragon Ball story that still had a little momentum, beyond another group party. I was intrigued to see what kind of lead Piccolo would make, and we ended up getting every facet of the character (funny whipped uncle, quick schemer, mid-story domninator) pretty well represented. I can't tell if the Red Ribbon Red Army was always in the cards or shoehorned in as a way to get to Cell once it was decided the Gammas would be more Androids. Hedo could have just as easily been any old cartoon robotics savant, but he is a better character for having that little connection.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:27 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:13 pm The former Manga UK was able to get a correctly colored version of Broly for their release of that movie once the tint was brought to their attention, so obviously nothing artistic about it. I am almost inclined to think that this is a quick and dirty way to make an "anti-seizure" version of the movie for Japanese TV broadcast, and that keeps getting used for the home video version. It would at least explain why it has happened more than once. We might be able to save the international releases if people start telling Crunchyroll now, but even then, this is not a song and dance the customer should have to repeatedly do.
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:03 am This movie is so fucking good. The stuff on Beers' planet is awful but the Piccolo scenes are just amazingly quaint. It's so nice seeing him have a rivalry. I thought that the Gammas and Doctor Hedo were all really nice additions that made the plot really come together. Gohan's screen time and transformation should have gone to Pan, though. Pan could use the development and Gohan just feels like he's there to placate his fans but as a result of his inclusion in the film he makes Pan come across as a third wheel when in reality so much more could have been done with Pan that wouldn't have come across as a barely aware rehash of Gohan nonsense.
I do wonder what a version of the movie with more Pan would have looked like. Gohan would still be enough of a combatant to have his funny dynamic with Piccolo, and he was going to be an albatross whether he got too much or too little screen time. It was nice to have a lighter Dragon Ball story that still had a little momentum, beyond another group party. I was intrigued to see what kind of lead Piccolo would make, and we ended up getting every facet of the character (funny whipped uncle, quick schemer, mid-story domninator) pretty well represented. I can't tell if the Red Ribbon Red Army was always in the cards or shoehorned in as a way to get to Cell once it was decided the Gammas would be more Androids. Hedo could have just as easily been any old cartoon robotics savant, but he is a better character for having that little connection.
My guess is that the Gammas were designed under the idea that both Piccolo and Gohan needed someone to fight, so it makes me wonder how things would have progressed if Piccolo and Pan were the only fighters. I would imagine that the Gammas would be merged into a single character and then their dynamic would have been them serving as the Nappa to Hedo's Vegeta, as opposed to being each other's Vegeta or Nappa.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:46 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:46 am Honestly, I'm glad we did. The multiverse as a concept is so played out and tired, it feels like its consuming all media and has so little to offer...
Speak it for yourself as anything is better than another arc set in the "good" ol' planet Earth that at this point could just explode through one of Goku's farts.

I know DB and by DB I mean Toriyama doesn't have the intention of world building, but it feels pretty lazy having introduced 12 universes to so far not having explored none yet.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:36 pm

Chikashi Kubota (Super Hero character designer) just had a panel in Japan Expo Sud, a french anime/manga event and revealed some information:

- The actual production for the movie took 1 year and a half. He feared he wouldn't be able to meet the deadline, but then Toei got hacked and he got extra 2 months to finish the movie well...

- When he worked in DBS Broly he said to Norihiro Hayashida (producer) to trust the character designs to him one day, because there's no bigger animator DB fan than him.

- He felt it was a shame that the movie would be 3D, so his condition to be the character designer was to have at least one fully 2D scene. That was the recap in the beginning solely done by him.

-Toriyama met the main staff from DBS Broly, but Kubota still didn't met him because Super Hero has been made during covid.

- He told Hayashida if they ever decide to remake DB to count with him. His 2D recap is like his portfolio to convince them to do it.

Source

Gohan Beast, Orange Piccolo illustrations and a Goku sketch he did in the event for a fan:

A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:50 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:36 pm

- He felt it was a shame that the movie would be 3D, so his condition to be the character designer was to have at least one fully 2D scene. That was the recap in the beginning solely done by him.

- He told Hayashida if they ever decide to remake DB to count with him. His 2D recap is like his portfolio to convince them to do it
Appreciate the info.

TOEI what are you doing? Pay the man money and get that 2D recap scene from DBS Super Hero done wholly for the next DBS movie. The revenue will make up for the budget spent!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:23 am

Kubota is really charged up. I hope he gets to be animation supervisor for a full 2D project soon.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:59 pm

Toei, make a new 2D anime already that isn’t the shitty Heroes web series. Fuck sake. Kubota is itching to work on more Dragon Ball anime. :lol:

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:49 pm

Along with Chapter 91, I will try to invent any differences between the movie and the manga

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:10 pm

Even tho I liked the movie and it ended being actually handled well, my reaction to the animated recap was that it is jarring in contrast with the rest of the movie and followed by a sigh from an old man... why? Why isn't the rest of the movie like that? Are you mocking me by that intro?

But I guess we got lucky, seeing what TOEI is doing with Saint Seiya recently, Bejesus.
The 3D Netflix series is subpar, what was marketed as closer to manga with the armor/Cloth being more faithful, we've got brand new twist on the original story that is even worse than the original anime infamously riddled with weird filler... (That weird Medusa Saint for example).
And don't get me started on changing the unique character of Shun into a girl, because the western writer thought that there is not enough female representation and so the "weird" guy got cut. Why didn't he changed Hyoga, Shiryu or Seiya, that are basically the heroic standard for men from 80s and pretty much interchangeable, nah, that would piss off the male fans of the original, let's change the one that seems feminime, it wouldn't hurt that much. It also looks cheap and clunky.

The Legend of Sanctuary 3D movie, while looking interesting and probably didn't had low budget, just looks interesting, but the writing, characters, choices they did made the movie into a total dissaster.
The live action movie I will skip altogether, while it looks better from trailer than DB Evolution did, the effects look as bad and so is the synopsis so far.

I am actually happy how Super Hero turned out and is still for me the second best movie since Battle Of Gods.
But this jumping on the western trend bandwagon rarelly turns out this great and with what happened with Kai being a mishmash product and Super's insanely bad production value before Tournament Of Power, I dream of parallel universe where Dragon Ball would be done by studio like Sunrise for example... TOEI was always mid tier since ever with occasional talents like Kubota or Yamamuro in it's heyday, probably just driven by sheer passion and personal dedication.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:13 pm

Alkiser wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:49 pm Along with Chapter 91, I will try to invent any differences between the movie and the manga
What if there are no differences between the movie and the manga. However, the manga just continues to add supplemental material to DBS: Super Hero movie? Like it did with this DBS Super Hero prequel arc.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:14 am

Miracles wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:13 pm
Alkiser wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:49 pm Along with Chapter 91, I will try to invent any differences between the movie and the manga
What if there are no differences between the movie and the manga. However, the manga just continues to add supplemental material to DBS: Super Hero movie? Like it did with this DBS Super Hero prequel arc.

There are already differences and the movie plot hasn't started yet, Kuririn knew about RR 3 months before Piccolo discovered they existed, and Dr. Hedo who for 2 chapters pursued Goten and Trunks when in the movie he didn't even pay attention to them.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:59 am

The recent Super manga kinda makes me feel that I need the expanded movie adapted as part of a 2D anime, if they will follow the previous Super formula :lol:

But I really wonder if and what will be this year's announcement about if that happens.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:34 am

Alkiser wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:14 am

There are already differences and the movie plot hasn't started yet, Kuririn knew about RR 3 months before Piccolo discovered they existed, and Dr. Hedo who for 2 chapters pursued Goten and Trunks when in the movie he didn't even pay attention to them.
And nothing in the movie contradicted that Super Hero prequel info that connected to the Super Hero movie. It fits.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:18 pm

Miracles wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:34 am
Alkiser wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:14 am

And nothing in the movie contradicted that Super Hero prequel info that connected to the Super Hero movie. It fits.
Exactly, Krillin had no info about something like Cell Max, or the Gammas because they didn't exist then. It wasn't a threat he himself couldn't handle at the time so there was no need for others to be bothered with it at the time.