Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 79 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 79 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:04 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:23 am I think Toyotarou needs to chill out with the amount of panels he draws for small details like a zoom in on a character or someone's reaction.
It just takes up so much space to tell such a basic expression. Less is more when it comes to Dragon Ball's manga.

It kinda sucks when we get a lame chapter since this manga only releases once a month. Ah well, hopefully next month is better.
It's such a big difference when you compare Toriyama's simple panelling to Toyotaro's mess. Sometimes feels like he wants to set a new record for how many panels he can put on a page. This one from chapter 77 is something else:
That scene could even have been told in 3 panels. Got 8...
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:13 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:26 pm I think is unfair to blame Toyotaro and only Toyotaro for what's been going on in this arc. I mean, he is not an eccentric kid coming up with all of this in his uncle's basement, this isn't DB Multiboredom, he is actually playing in the Champions League for FFS, he has an editor, he has Toriyama overseeing his work (and if I understood correctly, this arc was Toyo's idea expanded by Toriyama).

Sure, Toyo is in charge of the details, of how the characters actually beat each other, and while I have no clue how a manga is developed, I doubt there isn't a screenplay or something saying "so in this chapter this will be happening, in the following chapter that will happen, and in the one after that this two are going to fight for a few chapters, and so on...".
And even if this isn't the case, then what's the point in having an editor? is he there just to interview him every 2 months wearing a Perfect Cell hat? is Toriyama no longer overseeing anything? couldn't he tell we are getting empty chapters?? why correct Krilin's smile and not this 45-page mess? what's up with everybody involved doing a half-ass job?
They developed an arc that seemed that would last pretty long but it'll hardy last more than a year.
TBF, I'm been saying for years that Toyo's editor sucked. Toriyama isn't doing much of an editor because he wants Toyo to used more of his own ideas and only seems to stop him from ruining a gag or taking a character in a direction he doesn't like and V is basically a cheerleader.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:18 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:04 pm
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:23 am I think Toyotarou needs to chill out with the amount of panels he draws for small details like a zoom in on a character or someone's reaction.
It just takes up so much space to tell such a basic expression. Less is more when it comes to Dragon Ball's manga.

It kinda sucks when we get a lame chapter since this manga only releases once a month. Ah well, hopefully next month is better.
It's such a big difference when you compare Toriyama's simple panelling to Toyotaro's mess. Sometimes feels like he wants to set a new record for how many panels he can put on a page. This one from chapter 78 is something else:
It almost feels like he’s making a detailed storyboard for the staff at Toei so that they have a lot to work with when (or if) the anime comes back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:22 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:18 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:04 pm

It's such a big difference when you compare Toriyama's simple panelling to Toyotaro's mess. Sometimes feels like he wants to set a new record for how many panels he can put on a page. This one from chapter 78 is something else:
It almost feels like he’s making a detailed storyboard for the staff at Toei so that they have a lot to work with when (or if) the anime comes back.
Toyo's works always felt more like an anime produce than a manga. The panelling and different shot angles are what I learned in school for making a storyboard for something like a movie. Most manga artists try to used a little panelling as possible. Granted, a lot of that is because you only have like 18-19 pages to tell a story so you have to make every page count.
Last edited by HeroR on Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:43 pm

I can only imagine Toyotaro’s paneling is that detailed because he has to work with a timeline that is beyond his control and not to run out of content quickly. It’s a little boring, but at least we got a opportunity to have a different kind of fight.

I wasn’t really invested in Gas’ rise, but his reluctance in using his new abilities is somewhat interesting and Granolah using Oatmeal and the experience from Goku and Vegeta’s fight was neat. Now I can see the full extent of Granolah’s prowess against a single opponent. It wouldn’t be possible if Gas wasn’t there to provide that.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:25 am

DBS sometimes does have this strange feeling that Toyo is attempting to replicate how it would look in an anime, but it's a manga. If that makes any sense. All in all though it was a fine chapter for this series (Dragon Ball Super Manga).

Somewhat interesting switch up with Goku and Vegeta being the commentary and spectators. Really like the unique fighting style of Gas, but really prefer his prior look. Don't care for Gas-san as his lack of features worked better with his short stature imo.

Very neat that they show higher "power level" means easier adaptation of other abilities. Though even with that boon they keep showing in the fights that power level isn't necessarily how you win. Really enjoyed that Gas was using IT excessively and ineffectively. Neat touch.

Another cool thing to me is the manga showing again that Vegeta, when given the chance, seems to pick up more detail than Goku when watching, but Goku picks up way more in battle.

Honestly I think we're overanalyzing and kinda beating a dead horse with the complaining though. Yeah Toyo isn't Toriyama and yeah the pacing seems odd atm and the paneling isn't like Toriyama's at all and there's a bunch of comparisons we could pull to make a case as to why it's so bad compared to Dragon Ball...but we still read it didn't we? We'll read it next month too, and the next I bet. So how bad is it really? Also we're several years in. Do we really expect a change to OG Dragon Ball paneling and pacing? It's a different product.

Now we obviously need to critique to a degree, but I don't expect it to be much different than what it has been. It's like complaining the power levels don't make sense numbers-wise. It's just expected at this point I think.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:47 am

fleahop wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:25 am DBS sometimes does have this strange feeling that Toyo is attempting to replicate how it would look in an anime, but it's a manga. If that makes any sense. All in all though it was a fine chapter for this series (Dragon Ball Super Manga).

Somewhat interesting switch up with Goku and Vegeta being the commentary and spectators. Really like the unique fighting style of Gas, but really prefer his prior look. Don't care for Gas-san as his lack of features worked better with his short stature imo.

Very neat that they show higher "power level" means easier adaptation of other abilities. Though even with that boon they keep showing in the fights that power level isn't necessarily how you win. Really enjoyed that Gas was using IT excessively and ineffectively. Neat touch.

Another cool thing to me is the manga showing again that Vegeta, when given the chance, seems to pick up more detail than Goku when watching, but Goku picks up way more in battle.

Honestly I think we're overanalyzing and kinda beating a dead horse with the complaining though. Yeah Toyo isn't Toriyama and yeah the pacing seems odd atm and the paneling isn't like Toriyama's at all and there's a bunch of comparisons we could pull to make a case as to why it's so bad compared to Dragon Ball...but we still read it didn't we? We'll read it next month too, and the next I bet. So how bad is it really? Also we're several years in. Do we really expect a change to OG Dragon Ball paneling and pacing? It's a different product.

Now we obviously need to critique to a degree, but I don't expect it to be much different than what it has been. It's like complaining the power levels don't make sense numbers-wise. It's just expected at this point I think.
I find this take strange since even Toriyama told Toyo in an interview that he needs to improved his panelling and even years after the interview, Toyo's panelling is still mid. It isn't asking too much for someone to get better after years of doing something. Same with the pacing. This is an issue that people been complaining for years and nothing is improving in this regard.

As for 'it isn't OG Dragon Ball', fine let's compare it to other modern manga that the Super manga competes with. The panelling is still bad. Honestly, Toyo can only really get away with this kind of thing because people will read because it is Dragon Ball. Which is fine, but you shouldn't defend Toyo for not making his panels better. Pacing is more complex since we don't know if Toyo really can't pace a story or he's forced to pad. Personally leaning more to can't pace since there is no reason to pad since he isn't stalling for another produce. I mean, people excuse his horrible rushed pacing of the TOP because they thought for sure he was going to do a version of the Broly movie, only to find out that wasn't the case.
Kanassa wrote:

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:12 am

I never said it was good and I'm not trying to defend Toyo. I even started with saying it feels more like he's trying to draw an anime.

All I'm trying to say is yeah we know the paneling isn't that great (though he's had good moments) and I honestly don't expect any huge changes chapter to chapter. He could definitely improve.

My statement is that the constant talks about bad paneling and pacing with the examples showing it are perhaps excessive. I don't feel it necessitates an essay length rolling discussion every chapter whenever there's several other things to talk about, good or bad.

It's truly just something I expect and I imagine most people following it do. Why keep kicking the dead horse? I talked about quite a few things, but it's kinda telling that this was immediately pointed out, like I have to say how it's unacceptable or something. Idk.

I hope it gets better, but I imagine it won't any time soon and I think most people deep down know that too. It's not a good thing. It just is.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:35 am

fleahop wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:12 am
I never said it was good and I'm not trying to defend Toyo. I even started with saying it feels more like he's trying to draw an anime.

All I'm trying to say is yeah we know the paneling isn't that great (though he's had good moments) and I honestly don't expect any huge changes chapter to chapter. He could definitely improve.

My statement is that the constant talks about bad paneling and pacing with the examples showing it are perhaps excessive. I don't feel it necessitates an essay length rolling discussion every chapter whenever there's several other things to talk about, good or bad.

It's truly just something I expect and I imagine most people following it do. Why keep kicking the dead horse? I talked about quite a few things, but it's kinda telling that this was immediately pointed out, like I have to say how it's unacceptable or something. Idk.

I hope it gets better, but I imagine it won't any time soon and I think most people deep down know that too. It's not a good thing. It just is.
This is the big issue. Toyo can do good panelling, but he doesn't 90% of the time. If we didn't think he could do it at all, I don't think it would still be mentioned. Like people stopped complaining about Toyo's broken bodies because Toyo never showed signs of trying to fixed that. The bad panelling is especially annoying because it makes the manga a pain to read especially on a computer. Which is also why it's brought up because it does detracted from the experience.

Overall, the Super manga is a clunky read.
Kanassa wrote:

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:12 am

Toyotarou is capable of great panelling, which is why it can be annoying to see him fall back to his shortcomings from time to time. Chapter 41 is a good example of what he’s really capable of. Even chapter 64 is good but does feature some of those drawn-out reaction shots I mentioned earlier.

I’m not against an all-action chapter as long as there are some exciting revelations that unfold during the fight. Gas just choosing not to use his new power isn’t enough to keep me engaged. It is nice to see a fight between two new characters, though.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:53 am

fleahop wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:25 amHonestly I think we're overanalyzing and kinda beating a dead horse with the complaining though. Yeah Toyo isn't Toriyama and yeah the pacing seems odd atm and the paneling isn't like Toriyama's at all and there's a bunch of comparisons we could pull to make a case as to why it's so bad compared to Dragon Ball...but we still read it didn't we? We'll read it next month too, and the next I bet. So how bad is it really? Also we're several years in. Do we really expect a change to OG Dragon Ball paneling and pacing? It's a different product.
I think the criticism is valid but how bad it is varies depending on the fan I guess. I haven't read a lot of manga so I've come to accept the paneling might be Toyotaro's style. I would definitely prefer if he does improve it but probably not this late into the story. The only time I had an issue with the pacing was during certain moments in the Moro arc. I'm not sure how to describe it but I suppose like typical anime filler that doesn't progress the story and only serves to reach a full length episode or extend the episode count. I felt it this chapter somewhat but I'm waiting to see if it leads to anything or ends up being mostly a filler warmup chapter.

I don't really agree with the people who only have something negative to say each month. Of course, they're free to do that but I believe there's an unlimited supply of entertainment online so there's no reason
to waste any time on a series you don't like at all. I have some criticism for the manga from time to time but I also need to have some interest in a series to keep check the latest release. If I ever reached the point that I lost faith in the manga or don't look forward to anything, I would likely stop reading it and wait until it's over.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:26 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:55 pmHate to be a downer but this really is nothing in comparison. Gas's whole dilemma of only wanting to use his natural gifts to beat Granola falls completely flat because until this chapter, we had no idea that he had these powers at all.
Well, to be fair, that plot beat really isn't about the 'powers' qua 'powers'; it's about Gas's sufficiency to do the things he's best at within the dynamic of the broader unit - the powers just represent that in a more specific way.

He's apparently been kept away from that kind of enforcer role for 40 years - ever since he somehow came a cropper against Bardock - and made to take a back seat to a 'weak' parvenu in Granolah, and it has been reinforced throughout the arc that Elec in particular doesn't place the confidence in Gas's power that his assurances superficially indicate (hence all the 'insurance' that Gas insists he doesn't need but Elec says is necessary - particularly as represented by the wish - and all the insulting emphases on how he doesn't value power at all, which is Gas's stock-in-trade).

That plot beat isn't simply Gas holding back for the sake of it or to show off fancy powers we didn't really know (or care) he had; it's to assert the basic validity of his own existence as a part of the Heeter unit playing the role he is 'meant' to play, and to demonstrate against the patronising and controlling tendencies that led him to this pass, against the figure who embodies these broader relational problems. His frustration at actually not being able to do this stuff the way he wants has been on an arc-long build, and on review, that character beat is one of the best things about this Chapter, in my opinion.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:42 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:26 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:55 pmHate to be a downer but this really is nothing in comparison. Gas's whole dilemma of only wanting to use his natural gifts to beat Granola falls completely flat because until this chapter, we had no idea that he had these powers at all.
Well, to be fair, that plot beat really isn't about the 'powers' qua 'powers'; it's about Gas's sufficiency to do the things he's best at within the dynamic of the broader unit - the powers just represent that in a more specific way.

He's apparently been kept away from that kind of enforcer role for 40 years - ever since he somehow came a cropper against Bardock - and made to take a back seat to a 'weak' parvenu in Granolah, and it has been reinforced throughout the arc that Elec in particular doesn't place the confidence in Gas's power that his assurances superficially indicate (hence all the 'insurance' that Gas insists he doesn't need but Elec says is necessary - particularly as represented by the wish - and all the insulting emphases on how he doesn't value power at all, which is Gas's stock-in-trade).

That plot beat isn't simply Gas holding back for the sake of it or to show off fancy powers we didn't really know (or care) he had; it's to assert the basic validity of his own existence as a part of the Heeter unit playing the role he is 'meant' to play, and to demonstrate against the patronising and controlling tendencies that led him to this pass, against the figure who embodies these broader relational problems. His frustration at actually not being able to do this stuff the way he wants has been on an arc-long build, and on review, that character beat is one of the best things about this Chapter, in my opinion.
Hey, soz for the late reply, busy holiday season n' all. I see your point that the powers themselves aren't the most important factor. However, I can't say I'm invested in this build-up to Gas's psychological struggles because he's had so very little to do until this late stage (and is a generally uncharismatic character), plus I feel that the core conflict is less complex than you're making out here. There is some depth to be poked at, I'm sure, but it seems to be a fairly simple dynamic of Little Brother feeling somewhat resentful against Big Brother for not trusting/acknowledging his natural talents, and envious to Granola for being the centre of Big Bro's attention, so he wants to prove to himself that his natural powers are enough. Turns out they're not. :? Alas, until this leads to some juicier tension or gets explored in greater depth, I'm not really that compelled by it so far. I may be swayed if the next few chapters wrap it all up somehow.

On a tangential note, I dig that Toyotaro is still experimenting with giving characters more distinctive powers and techniques (even if they don't make much sense, but when have they ever, let's be honest). In the early days, it felt like unless Toriyama designed a character with a power in mind (e.g. Hit), Toyotaro didn't stray too far from the lines. I don't think Goku Black, Toppo, Jiren, etc did much besides punch and kick. So his change in approach is refreshing, at least.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:09 pm

Skar wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:53 am I don't really agree with the people who only have something negative to say each month. Of course, they're free to do that but I believe there's an unlimited supply of entertainment online so there's no reason
to waste any time on a series you don't like at all. I have some criticism for the manga from time to time but I also need to have some interest in a series to keep check the latest release. If I ever reached the point that I lost faith in the manga or don't look forward to anything, I would likely stop reading it and wait until it's over.
Yeah, for as long as I've been on this forum, there have been CHUDs whose only purpose for living is to pop to the surface world on the 20th of every month to do one thing only: hate on the Dragon Ball Super manga and call Toyotaro a hackfraud. Then they slither back down to subterranea whence they came. Every month, there'd be at least five people claiming they were ditching the manga FOREVER... unsurprisingly, they'd be back next month. :lol:

For a couple months back in the Moro arc, I pretty much was one of those CHUDs, then I quickly realised what a waste it is to invest time and emotion into something you don't enjoy when there's so much better stuff out there. I didn't like myself for getting so vitriolic over a bloody black-and-white cartoon strip I'm reading for free online. I mean, we all get salty on the internet sometimes, but it was getting beyond a joke. Luckily, the manga began to improve before I chucked the toy out of the pram as it were. I'd say I've found something to enjoy in most chapters ever since. :)

Without getting too preachy, there is a worrying phenomena of people getting so absurdly dependent on the limited palette of media they consume that they seem unable to fathom that there are other things to watch/read/do in life besides read this one monthly 48-page comic.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:51 pm

I can only speak for myself, but I'll drop this manga if I ever feel it isn't capable of returning to form. The present arc has a lot of redeeming qualities, so I don't think that's the case, and the Super manga as a whole (up to this point) has been varying levels of good, not bad.

But if there's one simple thing that consistently separates good DB (Toriyama's manga, Toyotaro's manga, the modern films) from bad DB (Heroes, GT, the Super anime), it's whether the storytelling can meld effectively with the action or blandly made to be mutually exclusive, in addition to nailing Toriyama's signature style. Rest assured, I wouldn't be criticizing this chapter so harshly if I didn't want to enjoy it and see the manga succeed at what it's trying to do.

Hoping next month will be an improvement. It's a shame the arc is ending so soon when, to be quite frank, it felt like it was only getting started.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:54 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:42 pmHey, soz for the late reply, busy holiday season n' all.
Not at all! As far as I'm concerned, it's never late to talk about things I enjoy, so thanks for taking the time. Apologies, I'm going to do some slight chopping and changing on your post to press my point; hope that's okay and I don't misrepresent or fundamentally misunderstand what you're trying to say in so doing.
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:42 pmI see your point that the powers themselves aren't the most important factor [...] I feel that the core conflict is less complex than you're making out here. There is some depth to be poked at, I'm sure, but it seems to be a fairly simple dynamic of Little Brother feeling somewhat resentful against Big Brother for not trusting/acknowledging his natural talents, and envious to Granola for being the centre of Big Bro's attention, so he wants to prove to himself that his natural powers are enough. Turns out they're not.
Here's the thing, from the way I see it: on the one hand, you're saying I'm making the character presentation to be more complex than it is, but on the other hand, I don't see how what I'm saying isn't either (a) what you're also explicitly acknowledging is in fact shown in this presentation of Gas's character, or else (b) a natural and obvious furtherance of what you've just acknowledged is in fact shown. I'm merely unpacking what's there, and the fact that the dynamic is simple (no word of argument from me, there) hardly means that it doesn't reward such unpacking. To wit:
  • You're acknowledging my point that it's not about powers as mere "powers"; in that case, we agree that the issue at play isn't that Gas is disappointed that he can't prove to his own satisfaction that Green Lantern Powers Are The Best Powers. In that case, then, what else can it be about, other than what his power signifies and means to him as a character?
  • Again, you acknowledge this because you accept that there is a presentation of resentment/frustration by Gas against Elec for not trusting his capacities: what is this, then, other than a question centring around Gas's sense of self-worth?
  • And since Gas's self-worth is, then, bound up in his power, and by extension what it means to him in the context of the role he considers he ought to be playing for the Heeters (we know this because he specifically told us as much in Chapter 78: "I provide enough muscle for the Heeters. You are not needed"), how is this not sharpened by the fact that he's been repeatedly and specifically excluded from any ability to play that role on his own both for the last 40 years and right now (whether he's replaced outright by other fighters like Granolah, or made into something other than what he already is by magical wish boosts from his big brother)?
  • In turn, we've seen him already protest against the wish even in principle because he thinks he can already play that role. What else is refusing to use the actual benefits of the wish against the single person who has appropriated his role the most in the past (and killing that person), other than an attempt to demonstrate his intrinsic value and sufficiency, and vindicate himself against a pair of slights to that self-understanding?
I'm being verbose in pursuing this line, I guess (it's kind of my thing), but I enjoy economy and nuance in character presentation, so if we're agreeing that these things are all actually here in that character beat (as we seem to be), then it figures I'd find it enjoyable because it unites a bunch of things we've been given and can see from the arc so far, in a single characterising action now. I can understand if you feel that it could've done with an extra explicit dimension to add depth, or just more time and appearances further back in the arc to breathe and so come through more clearly and satisfyingly now; that's all personal taste about how the story is told and that's perfectly fine (again, no argument from me) - what I'm saying is, though, it's all there, freighted with its significance by what the arc has actually given us, rather than by me or any other reader trying to invest it with a complexity it doesn't have. Even the point you make here...
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:42 pmHowever, I can't say I'm invested in this build-up to Gas's psychological struggles because he's had so very little to do until this late stage
...has a clear characterising aspect of its own if you consider and accept the foregoing (even though it's how you feel about the way it's presented, which could certainly have been done differently, not to mention being a totally valid critique in any case): Gas has had very little to do until this late stage because he has been excluded from the doing of those things that his role is fundamentally about and from which he draws his sense of self-worth (until the supplementation that he resents has taken place against his wishes, that is), and it is because of that exclusion that the psychological struggle being presented exists in his characterisation now.

Obviously I can hardly make you see it as compelling; all I can do is lay out why it seems clear to me that it's all there, and consequently present to you why I find it enjoyable for myself. Hopefully it makes sense in conveying why I appreciate it.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:37 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:54 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:42 pmHey, soz for the late reply, busy holiday season n' all.
Not at all! As far as I'm concerned, it's never late to talk about things I enjoy, so thanks for taking the time. Apologies, I'm going to do some slight chopping and changing on your post to press my point; hope that's okay and I don't misrepresent or fundamentally misunderstand what you're trying to say in so doing.
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:42 pmI see your point that the powers themselves aren't the most important factor [...] I feel that the core conflict is less complex than you're making out here. There is some depth to be poked at, I'm sure, but it seems to be a fairly simple dynamic of Little Brother feeling somewhat resentful against Big Brother for not trusting/acknowledging his natural talents, and envious to Granola for being the centre of Big Bro's attention, so he wants to prove to himself that his natural powers are enough. Turns out they're not.
Here's the thing, from the way I see it: on the one hand, you're saying I'm making the character presentation to be more complex than it is, but on the other hand, I don't see how what I'm saying isn't either (a) what you're also explicitly acknowledging is in fact shown in this presentation of Gas's character, or else (b) a natural and obvious furtherance of what you've just acknowledged is in fact shown. I'm merely unpacking what's there, and the fact that the dynamic is simple (no word of argument from me, there) hardly means that it doesn't reward such unpacking. To wit:
  • You're acknowledging my point that it's not about powers as mere "powers"; in that case, we agree that the issue at play isn't that Gas is disappointed that he can't prove to his own satisfaction that Green Lantern Powers Are The Best Powers. In that case, then, what else can it be about, other than what his power signifies and means to him as a character?
  • Again, you acknowledge this because you accept that there is a presentation of resentment/frustration by Gas against Elec for not trusting his capacities: what is this, then, other than a question centring around Gas's sense of self-worth?
  • And since Gas's self-worth is, then, bound up in his power, and by extension what it means to him in the context of the role he considers he ought to be playing for the Heeters (we know this because he specifically told us as much in Chapter 78: "I provide enough muscle for the Heeters. You are not needed"), how is this not sharpened by the fact that he's been repeatedly and specifically excluded from any ability to play that role on his own both for the last 40 years and right now (whether he's replaced outright by other fighters like Granolah, or made into something other than what he already is by magical wish boosts from his big brother)?
  • In turn, we've seen him already protest against the wish even in principle because he thinks he can already play that role. What else is refusing to use the actual benefits of the wish against the single person who has appropriated his role the most in the past (and killing that person), other than an attempt to demonstrate his intrinsic value and sufficiency, and vindicate himself against a pair of slights to that self-understanding?
I'm being verbose in pursuing this line, I guess (it's kind of my thing), but I enjoy economy and nuance in character presentation, so if we're agreeing that these things are all actually here in that character beat (as we seem to be), then it figures I'd find it enjoyable because it unites a bunch of things we've been given and can see from the arc so far, in a single characterising action now. I can understand if you feel that it could've done with an extra explicit dimension to add depth, or just more time and appearances further back in the arc to breathe and so come through more clearly and satisfyingly now; that's all personal taste about how the story is told and that's perfectly fine (again, no argument from me) - what I'm saying is, though, it's all there, freighted with its significance by what the arc has actually given us, rather than by me or any other reader trying to invest it with a complexity it doesn't have. Even the point you make here...
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:42 pmHowever, I can't say I'm invested in this build-up to Gas's psychological struggles because he's had so very little to do until this late stage
...has a clear characterising aspect of its own if you consider and accept the foregoing (even though it's how you feel about the way it's presented, which could certainly have been done differently, not to mention being a totally valid critique in any case): Gas has had very little to do until this late stage because he has been excluded from the doing of those things that his role is fundamentally about and from which he draws his sense of self-worth (until the supplementation that he resents has taken place against his wishes, that is), and it is because of that exclusion that the psychological struggle being presented exists in his characterisation now.

Obviously I can hardly make you see it as compelling; all I can do is lay out why it seems clear to me that it's all there, and consequently present to you why I find it enjoyable for myself. Hopefully it makes sense in conveying why I appreciate it.
Well... Zoinks.

I feel that I've incurred your wrath somehow. I'm not entirely sure what warranted it, I guess I was dismissive, in which case I can only apologise. Honestly, I don't really have much to add here as I was only going on about my subjective tastes. I'm glad that you appreciate it the way you do, truly.

I don't deny Gas's powers signify his insecurities, I get all that. I mainly took issue with the execution. Gas being absent from the action may justify those insecurities, perhaps even on a 'meta' level as you imply, but it doesn't justify a total lack of personality or narrative focus until now. We could've gotten more insight into his mental state and his yearning for approval to boost his self-worth. We could've seen flashbacks of him practicing his weapon-spawning powers while wishing for the day he'll get to use them against Granola. Instead, we see him do nothing but scowl enigmatically for most of the arc. Barely a spear-carrier in a Greek play. I would certainly like to see it as you do, but I don't yet see amazingly nuanced characterisation, most of which has only been gleaned from info-dump exposition in the last handful of chapters. A bit of nuance, maybe, yeah.
I'm being verbose in pursuing this line, I guess (it's kind of my thing)
This was really what I was getting at with my "less complex" comment. What I should've said was "less impressive". In this one case, it feels like you're being more than a bit obtuse in your response and lending a lot of undue gravitas (though I think it's mainly your usual Oxbridge writing style) to Gas's character. Once again, not denying that Gas has some nuance worth talking about, but there's a limit before it starts to resemble hbomberguy's "Serious Sonic 2 Lore" video.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:38 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:37 pmI feel that I've incurred your wrath somehow. I'm not entirely sure what warranted it, I guess I was dismissive, in which case I can only apologise.
No, not at all - you've done no such thing, and you have absolutely nothing to apologise for. Rather, I apologise for having taken the conversation to a place that's made you feel uncomfortable, though I assure you that it was certainly not my intention to do so at all.

My response really was just taking seriously the inference that you were saying that I was supplying something to the reading of the characterisation beat from Chapter 79 that wasn't reasonably drawn from what the arc has given us (that's how I was reading the "less complex" comment), and I was puzzled/curious about this because you also seemed to be saying things that I felt I was saying about the beat - so that's what the first part of the post was about, with the bullet points and the questions and whatnot: laying out as clearly and logically as I could think to do what I consider is 'in' that beat from a characterisation perspective, noting whether we seemed to agree, and then asking what else the beat might be telling us, other than 'xyz'; I wasn't trying to be obtuse or argumentative here. (In retrospect, the questions might have come off as more rhetorical than inquisitive - that's on me, because that isn't what I was trying to do; I really was trying more to get at logical 'points of cleavage' that I figured must exist between your interpretation and mine: trying to give potential hooks for you to come back on and say something like 'see, I agree with bullet point 1 just fine, where we really differ is on bullet point 2 where you say it's about xyz, I don't think that's warranted because the arc hasn't given us abc to hang that interpretation on', etc.) I was also increasingly mindful as I wrote that the whole reason I was engaging you on this was to share my enthusiasm for that particular characterisation beat in the first place (else all I'd've been 'sharing' is a heap of words), which is what the second part of the post was about; trying to present the rationale more fully. I guess I wasn't very successful at that either, and again, that's on me, so again, you have my apologies.

(Bleh, I should go back to tinkering with power levels or something, and leave exposition like that to people who can do it properly)

Anyhoo, (if you'll indulge me once more) let me try again on the rest of your post, because it might help if I'm a little clearer on where we don't differ, to end up suggesting where we might differ (which may at least end up with something you enjoy reading a little better than my previous attempt, if nothing else):
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:37 pmI mainly took issue with the execution. Gas being absent from the action may justify those insecurities, perhaps even on a 'meta' level as you imply, but it doesn't justify a total lack of personality or narrative focus until now. We could've gotten more insight into his mental state and his yearning for approval to boost his self-worth. We could've seen flashbacks of him practicing his weapon-spawning powers while wishing for the day he'll get to use them against Granola. Instead, we see him do nothing but scowl enigmatically for most of the arc. Barely a spear-carrier in a Greek play. I would certainly like to see it as you do, but I don't yet see amazingly nuanced characterisation, most of which has only been gleaned from info-dump exposition in the last handful of chapters. A bit of nuance, maybe, yeah.
Okay, so we don't differ on this; I'm perfectly happy with this take and (as I said last time) I think suggestions like the ones you make here are totally valid. I'm not saying that I think Gas is a nuanced character; far from it - in the last Manga thread, I went so far as to say that I don't regard him as a fully-fledged character in his own right at all (in the way that Goku or Vegeta might be considered such, or even Granolah). None of the Heeters are, to me, because I see them as only really 'working' in this arc as a corporate unit where the individuals are principally performing role-based functions that are indicative of that unitary 'corporeality' - so, while Elec and Macki may seem more obviously 'characterful' than Gas or Oil, I consider that's just because their roles (as the 'brains' and 'face/voice' of the unit respectively) naturally convey that sense of character better in more scenarios - from that perspective, it follows that you're unlikely to see the 'hands' of the outfit (Gas) naturally do very characterful things, as a rule.

That is, unless they're in a scenario where they're doing 'hand stuff'; then you're likely to see more of it. So I'd only really expect to find particularly satisfying characterisation beats in such a scenario - for Gas, that's really just Chapters 78 and 79, and unsurprisingly, that's where we've found most of it, as you've noted. So, if the hands can't do (in fact, are specifically stopped from doing) 'hand stuff' for their corporate unit for most of the arc, then they're not being expressive in the mode appropriate to their role function. Arguably one might expect to find little better than occasional characterisation points seeded here and there that will only really bear noteworthy fruit (to mix my metaphors briefly) once the appropriate situation presents itself for them to be expressive in the way that befits their specific role, because then those things can be drawn together and more effectively harnessed in 'proper' characterisation beats. As you say, those things could've theoretically been earlier, more frequent, and more explicit, but on the other hand, I'd suggest that Toyotarou has elected to make their relative absence one of those characterisation points in itself (i.e., seeding the frustration a 'hand' would feel in not being allowed to be a 'hand', for further down the line).

So, if I can suggest where we might differ, it's maybe more where we're coming at this from? You're looking at Gas the character as an independent character, and finding mostly absence where there could have been presence (again, totally fine and perfectly valid); I'm looking more specifically at the characterisation beat Gas manifests in the most naturally expressive mode for what I consider to be his intrinsic role, in Chapter 79 (not trying to make a distinction so precise as to be pedantic here; the beat itself was what I first engaged you on and what I've principally had in focus), seeing what threads from the wider arc it draws together into itself as a beat, and finding the union of those things in the beat the really rewarding thing in itself, even if we get nothing else from Gas as a 'character', or even a furtherance of a scenario in which he might continue to be more expressive than in the early arc (so to phrase it in the terms of my earlier posts, Gas's character isn't nuanced, but his characterisation beat in Chapter 79 is nuanced, to me). Hopefully that fairly puts a finger on the true point of difference, and makes sense?
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:37 pm(though I think it's mainly your usual Oxbridge writing style)
Pfft, I wish; if I had that, I'd've learned to be concise by now ;) But at least hopefully this was a better attempt at getting towards something worth saying than my last one; apologies once again (and further apologies if it isn't, naturally).

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:36 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:09 pmYeah, for as long as I've been on this forum, there have been CHUDs whose only purpose for living is to pop to the surface world on the 20th of every month to do one thing only: hate on the Dragon Ball Super manga and call Toyotaro a hackfraud. Then they slither back down to subterranea whence they came. Every month, there'd be at least five people claiming they were ditching the manga FOREVER... unsurprisingly, they'd be back next month. :lol:
To be fair to most people, I think the criticism is valid since it comes down to opinion. There are some who go above and beyond to discredit the manga or Toyotaro each month. In my opinion, no fictional story is worth that kind of attention because there's always the "opportunity cost" that the time wasted on this series could've went to something they actually like. I think the worst example is when some people went after Toyotaro on Twitter. It might have to do with the anonymity of the internet because talking that way to someone in real life would basically sound like the Trumpet Fight Guy.

I don't claim to know what's going to happen but I've learned a lot of the fan speculation about the future of the franchise usually ends up way off. There are some people who still claim with 100% certainty that the manga arcs will be ignored so I'm curious what their reaction would be if Toei does announce that they'll be adapted. There's already some evidence from Victory Uchida which I think is more convincing than someone claiming they won't be adapted because they don't like the manga.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:24 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:36 am To be fair to most people, I think the criticism is valid since it comes down to opinion. There are some who go above and beyond to discredit the manga or Toyotaro each month. In my opinion, no fictional story is worth that kind of attention because there's always the "opportunity cost" that the time wasted on this series could've went to something they actually like. I think the worst example is when some people went after Toyotaro on Twitter. It might have to do with the anonymity of the internet because talking that way to someone in real life would basically sound like the Trumpet Fight Guy.

I don't claim to know what's going to happen but I've learned a lot of the fan speculation about the future of the franchise usually ends up way off. There are some people who still claim with 100% certainty that the manga arcs will be ignored so I'm curious what their reaction would be if Toei does announce that they'll be adapted. There's already some evidence from Victory Uchida which I think is more convincing than someone claiming they won't be adapted because they don't like the manga.
Oh, of course, most people have justified and heartfelt criticism. Myself, Baggins and others may harsh when we feel the story is lagging in whatever way, but it comes from a genuine place. But yeah, the Twitter harassment was really uncalled for, and a lot of the hate from the manga thread could get really personal and horrid. Pretty much was the Trumpet Fight guy going "you're a no talent, self-consumed, mediocre piece of shit!" on repeat. What I always found strange was that some people seemed more envious of Toyotaro than anything. Like they sincerely believed that they would've had a better shot at winning Toriyama's favour and controlling the story. "I coulda been a contender!"

Honestly, I was skeptical about Toei adapting the manga, but it would indeed have been foolish to rule out the possibility entirely. Didn't know Uchida said anything, but I guess that might settle it. The main reason for my skepticism boiled down to Toei having that taste of freedom when creating the last two Dragon Ball anime series from scratch as well as several movies, leading to a gut feeling that they'd strain if they were forced to do another straight manga adaptation (though it would certainly be easier for them) and would rather continue doing their own thing, perhaps diverging the storylines even more radically.