Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 79 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr Baggins
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 79 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mr Baggins » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:39 am

Yeah, it's a no from me. Terrible chapter.

Firstly, this pacing is horrid. "Granolah has a chance to win"... what? That was last month's cliffhanger. Need I remind everyone exactly how long these things go for? 45 pages of all style, no substance, and a shitload of kunai.

Just... why?

Also, that whole thing about Gas being at a disadvantage because he's not accustomed to his new power? Resurrection 'F' already went there. The Future Trunks arc already went there. It's all too predictable and old hat now. If there were supposed to be any twists and turns (y'know, DB's bread and butter) there are none to be found here.

I understand what Toyotaro is trying to do with Gas's character, but like I said in the last thread, this dynamic between him and the protags isn't interesting enough to carry what's probably going to be around 100 pages or more at this point - an agonizingly long page count for some fight with a henchman - on his own. You wanna know how I know Gas is unimportant? Just look at Granolah, whose development is basically absent this month. I find it hard to believe that this is the same artist who wrote/drew the Tournament of Power or Black's arc or Universe 6, where every chapter gave you several character hooks and interactions, all of them succinctly told, from start to finish.

For a story that started off more intriguing than the previous arc, I find it even less enjoyable at the moment. It's gone full DB Heroes; just a series of shallow, protracted battle scenes with nothing to say. I'm bored outta my gourd, but hopefully the plot actually goes somewhere next month.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:40 am

-Chapter 79-

There's not much to say about this chapter, but I like the idea of two characters who cheated their way to the top fight each other.
Gas keeps having a cool moveset.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:06 pm

Gas' moveset is like he's a character made for a videogame.. except the games don't tend to add in manga stuff :lol:

Otherwise yeah, not much to say. The pacing is overly slow and now being aware this is the climax, it's kinda infuriating. I hope next chapter the fight finishes quickly and we move onto more interesting stuff like what Elec's deal is, because there's no time left. Unless he survives this arc which I advocate for.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:10 pm

I didn't enjoy this chapter. The fight was ok, they both have their particular style and all, but nothing to write home about, and also why a warm up fight? they were both holding back, they both have a reason not to do that, yet they do. Elecc is still a fucking mystery, the pace is not pleasing Koitsukai, and the saiyans feel like an afterthought at this point, reduced to an inaccurate peanut gallery. This chapter left where the previous one did, it could've been an email. I mean, three chapters to have Granola lose like we all know it's going to happen? that's Vegeta's role, lol.

The revelation that we are getting closer to the climax of this arc isn't helping it either, this arc had so much more to offer, there was some potential, but I guess it'll end in Cereal-sei, with no Godot, 7-3 and the army being a footnote, and just two strangers, one more than the other, duking it out for several months. I'm invested in Granny, sure, I'm liking his development, but Gas has not received enough attention to keep me engaged for a quarter of a year.

Only Elecc can save this arc, but I'm not holding my breath, and again, this might not be bad if it had like 5-10 more chapters to go somewhere else.

edit: with DBS SH coming out in April 22nd, I guess we have 4 more chapters to go. To wrap up every plot point, Eleccs' plan, Freeza if he'll show up (of course not), this fight, Bardock and Gas and whatever happened there, and the saiyans' part in this. I feel this arc in 2022 is going to get a speeding ticket.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:50 pm

Some fun and varied action. Love Granolah's costume change and getting back together with Oatmeel. Gas wanting to win with his own power is a nice wrinkle that ties into his personal grudge against Granolah, even if it is just a different shade of "I was holding back". Other than that, not much going on narratively. Elec has basically been a walking cliffhanger this entire arc. Gas is cracking a bit, so hopefully we get more from him next chapter, but this fight could definitely be dragged out more (unfortunately). Not looking forward to people taking the "that looks like destruction" line to mean "that looks like destruction (but it isn't)".

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:52 pm

Yeesh, maybe I need to stop rereading the original manga, because comparing Toriyama's fight choreography and general artistic skills in his prime to Toyotarou's is just night and day and makes me kinda sad that the series now exists in such a mediocre format.

To be fair to Toyotarou he can pull it out of the bag, and shows off his skills every once in a while:
But I have seen nothing to write home about in any of the fights of this arc.

Anyway this pacing is awful, does this fight need to go along for this long? And Gas is just so fucking boring, oh woooow he has a complex about his strength... never seen that in Dragon Ball :roll:

On a random note DBZ Movie 6 (Metal Cooler) made a fight between two Instant Transmission users look way more interesting than this chapter.

But I did like Oatmeal giving Granolah advice on his surroundings to make his fighting style more effective.
Last edited by The Monkey King on Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:00 pm

I share the misgivings about the plotting balance. With perhaps as few as 4 Chapters remaining, this is really the last Chapter of this type that can be afforded if the arc is going to conclude in any kind of satisfactory fashion. If there's more than that left in the arc, I might look a little more kindly on this in retrospect, but if we're reaching the climax of the arc and there isn't a straight expansive link-in to the next, this seems extravagant.

Having said that, the action remains of a very high quality, and there's some neat stuff put in there even from the storytelling perspective which at first glance, admittedly, seems pretty thin:
  • It's good to see the return of the idea that a combination of tight teamwork and judicious use of one's own innate gifts (in Granolah's case, his innate precision) can gain the upper hand against a simple power advantage;
  • In a way, since Granolah's position is now what Vegeta's position was earlier in the arc, and he's acting in a similar way to Vegeta by bringing the innate power that combat brought forth and using it smartly and in a more finessed way that overturns the power difference, the earlier combat with the Saiyans feels almost like training for the current fight (the combat with Vegeta in particular; it's almost a shame that Vegeta isn't the one picking up a pupil at the end of Dragon Ball);
  • Leading on from this, then, one could say that the typical 'Goku and Vegeta build the antagonist's strength by fighting apart' schtick actually gets a twist here, insofar as they've ultimately built Granolah's power in this way to allow him to fight more effectively on their side. I like the thought of that.
So, even in a relatively unpromising chapter story-wise, it feels like there's some stuff still there to be enjoyed without simply taking refuge in 'the action looks cool'. Still, more movement from the plot next month is really needed.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:08 pm

Random and scattered thoughts of Chapter 79:

- So characters can now attain abilities other characters had previously trained to obtain by just wishing for them? Does that mean Granolah and Gas can use the Kaioken or the Genki Dama? This kind of plot point feels like it was ripped right out of something like Dragon Ball Heroes. Why would ever need to train for anything ever if you can just wish to have all the abilities? Yeah, I know, they're martial artists and they have their "code", but this is a seriously game braking element to crowbar in the story. And it also comes back to the issue of introducing multiple Dragon Balls, because it makes utilising this concept far more convenient. What's stopping anyone else from doing something like this again?

- The fight between Gas and Granolah is panelled well and drawn competently, but that's about as much praise as that fight will get. I have ZERO investment in the fight between these two because is no precedent or build for this conflict. If Granolah was fighting Elec I'd understand giving the fight more time to breathe, but this skirmish with Gas just feel like a major waste of time. It doesn't help that Gas has literally no character and has no unique moveset. He's Janemba 2.0 but has a bit more of a vocabulary.

- The pacing in general for this arc has not been good so far but this chapter was particularly bad in how bad the story was laid out. I feel as though this manga would work better as a weekly manga because that's how Toyotaro seems to paces the chapters of the manga more than often with how there are whole chapters with nothing but fighting. That would be fine if there were more than 50 pages a month to digest, but Toyotaro doesn't have that luxury and he should use the 45-50 pages he has at his disposal to think about how he is going to progress the plot and develop the characters as much as possible before he decides on who's going to fight who. Otherwise, you get, well, chapters like this.

- The ending of this chapter is basically the same as the ending of the last chapter... questioning whether Granolah can defeat Gas. So, yeah, the story really didn't progress at all.

Overall thoughts... nothing happened.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:13 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:08 pm Random and scattered thoughts of Chapter 79:

- So characters can now attain abilities other characters had previously trained to obtain by just wishing for them? Does that mean Granolah and Gas can use the Kaioken or the Genki Dama? This kind of plot point feels like it was ripped right out of something like Dragon Ball Heroes. Why would ever need to train for anything ever if you can just wish to have all the abilities? Yeah, I know, they're martial artists and they have their "code", but this is a seriously game braking element to crowbar in the story. And it also comes back to the issue of introducing multiple Dragon Balls, because it makes utilising this concept far more convenient. What's stopping anyone else from doing something like this again?

- The fight between Gas and Granolah is panelled well and drawn competently, but that's about as much praise as that fight will get. I have ZERO investment in the fight between these two because is no precedent or build for this conflict. If Granolah was fighting Elec I'd understand giving the fight more time to breathe, but this skirmish with Gas just feel like a major waste of time. It doesn't help that Gas has literally no character and has no unique moveset. He's Janemba 2.0 but has a bit more of a vocabulary.

- The pacing in general for this arc has not been good so far but this chapter was particularly bad in how bad the story was laid out. I feel as though this manga would work better as a weekly manga because that's how Toyotaro seems to paces the chapters of the manga more than often with how there are whole chapters with nothing but fighting. That would be fine if there were more than 50 pages a month to digest, but Toyotaro doesn't have that luxury and he should use the 45-50 pages he has at his disposal to think about how he is going to progress the plot and develop the characters as much as possible before he decides on who's going to fight who. Otherwise, you get, well, chapters like this.

- The ending of this chapter is basically the same as the ending of the last chapter... questioning whether Granolah can defeat Gas. So, yeah, the story really didn't progress at all.

Yeah you've summed it up nicely. There was almost no dialogue here as well and what was there was barely of any interest. Gas and Granolah (to a lesser extent) haven't really earned all this screen time).

Fighters being gifted all the strength and all the abilities... Why would anyone think that's a good idea? And doesn't it break the established rules of the franchise with the creators of the dragon balls strength?

Not to be one of those guys, but I also think for a number of reasons I'm just not digging fights in manga format at all. Could be me getting older and investing more in story content over cool fights or because I started from the anime and I'm missing everything that format adds over the page. So when there's so little dialogue yeah this chapter is a huge nothing in terms of the overall story.

Not to discredit toyotaros improvement here, I think it's obvious and the manga is all the better for it.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:30 pm

Well, that was, uh... underwhelming. Compared to last chapter which felt meaty and substantial, this one went by in a flash and not much happened to justify the length. Exactly one semi-interesting revelation, that being that Gas apparently always had his Green Lantern powers, which explains some things but opens up new questions. Are these completely natural abilities? Can the other Heeters materialise weapons or other objects from thin air? How does it all work? Oh well, this is the same series where Majin Buu can turn people into candy and Piccolo can shoot Clothes Beams. Why? Just can, bro. This ability really should've been foreshadowed at least once, even if it was just Gas generating a wine glass in Elec's hand or something incidental like that.

I would've liked to believe that, as a society, we would collectively be over tired action manga tropes like "I'm actually holding back 50% of my power" and "oh, his weakness is just that he lacks stamina due to inexperience" among others, but this is Dragon Ball so whatever. The former trope was used well enough earlier in this same arc, so it makes some thematic sense for Gas to suffer from the same weakness. Even push-pull fights can be entertaining when done well, but this one didn't feel coherent at all. After discarding his original shitty power (before relying on another shitty power he has less experience with), Gas still apparently has enough power in reserve to blast Granola away 'cause he's the new Strongest, but Granola is still, like, totally the real Strongest dude! He can still do it! :shifty: Getting some Super anime vibes all of a sudden...

I was hoping with the recent news that the arc was coming to a close that T&T would be more economic with the storytelling from now on.

One thing to like is that this is the first major fight in a while to not involve the Saiyans at all. Props for that.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:02 pm

BWri wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:04 pm I like the details of the fight, but am not sure how I feel about what are essentially two "create-a fighters" having such a long and drawn out bout taking up so much page count. I'll wait to see the chapter art before I make any judgments.

Thanks again to redon for the synopsis!
The art and fight choreography were really good and I loved that two non-saiyan characters got to have a lengthy battle. In a vacuum this was awesome but unfortunately in the greater scheme of this arc and the story being told: This Fight Stinks. It wouldn't have if we built up to this properly, but now we're kinda just here, in this weird place.

I don't see Granolah as the protagonist of this arc, but I suppose that's somewhat my fault. The story has been positioning him for that role (albeit weakly), but I can't get over the whole wishing for strength aspect of his character. Because of that, I don't even view him or Gas as real characters and so I can't really get invested in their fight. Neither of them captures the spirit of Dragon Ball like any of our previous cast have.

As I previously said, it feels like 2 "create-a-characters" are fighting. They have no connection to any of the techniques they're using. My brain simply turns off when I see them using Shunkan Ido or Hakai as opposed to the sniping and weapon generation they naturally come with.

I think, if the story focused more on Granolah earlier, likely through a greater struggle to attain the Dragon Balls while interacting with the world more then I'd develop a greater connection with him. But the writer or writers felt the need to fast track us into the combat portion of the story and while I love some good combat, it starts to stunt the story if there's too much of it without a tantalizing setup.

Same with Gas. I like Gas' design and fighting style, but this whole time we've been told he was strong without really getting a sense of it ourselves. Add to that the fact that he hasn't done much until now. He's just jumped to the main event. It'd be so much better if we spent some time seeing him do more, since he is a silent and stoic character. Maybe he and Granolah should've begrudgingly worked together during that mission to attain the remains of OG7-3. That way we'd quickly learn of their strained dynamic and have more interactions with them to set this moment up a little better.

For us to be so deep into this arc, it still feels like we aren't even at the halfway point so I agree with others that the pace is bad
It also feels like Goku and Vegeta shouldn't even be here. I think I'd prefer if Broly was here instead of them so that we could really dig into new characters.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:12 pm

You notice they keep UI Goku exclusive yet pass Hakai around like alms to the poor.

So much for Vegeta's own way.

Thats 5 mortal characters that know Hakai now - - Goku, Vegeta, Toppo, Gas , Granolah.

Not clear that Geetz is better than any of them at it. I mean how many gods has Vegeta half erased? :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:16 pm

nato25 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:13 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:08 pm Random and scattered thoughts of Chapter 79:

Yeah you've summed it up nicely. There was almost no dialogue here as well and what was there was barely of any interest. Gas and Granolah (to a lesser extent) haven't really earned all this screen time).

Fighters being gifted all the strength and all the abilities... Why would anyone think that's a good idea? And doesn't it break the established rules of the franchise with the creators of the dragon balls strength?

Not to be one of those guys, but I also think for a number of reasons I'm just not digging fights in manga format at all. Could be me getting older and investing more in story content over cool fights or because I started from the anime and I'm missing everything that format adds over the page. So when there's so little dialogue yeah this chapter is a huge nothing in terms of the overall story.

Not to discredit toyotaros improvement here, I think it's obvious and the manga is all the better for it.
The problem is that Toyo's fight are mostly the same. There isn't a really unique flavor between fighters, so all the battles kind of ram into each other and it's made worse in this arc because it's basically one long fight with few breaks. That and his panelling is still mid. Compared to other battle manga like the original Dragon Ball manga, One Piece, Berserk, or even something like Fairy Tail you see the different. Namely, every fight feels unique and fresh and in the case of peak Toriyama his paneling and acting shots are second to none. And this is coming from someone who also prefer anime over manga, mostly for the music, voice acting, and color.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:20 pm

The query about the use of the Dragon Balls as a shortcut seems to have a pretty clear answer, to me:

Yes, they're a problem. And they're framed as such. In this arc as much as all the others.

The Dragon Balls are a problem; the original series managed to turn them into just being some sort of benign Get Out of Jail Free card after Freeza (the Elder Kaioshin's protestations to the contrary), but look at the kind of people who've used the Dragon Balls (of all sorts) during Super's tenure:
  • Stooges of Intergalactic Tyrants With Crippling Nostalgia Issues;
  • Hungry Gods Who Apparently Don't Mind Attracting the Terrifying Existence-Ending Displeasure of The King Of Everything;
  • Extremist Shin-jin Who Want Your Body for Travel, Genocide, etc.;
  • Omnivorous Goat Mages Who Enjoyed Con Air a Bit Too Much;
  • Revenge Fantasists with 20/1 Vision And No Proper Life Goals;
  • Scheming Lowlifes Who Want to Destroy One Half of The Cosmos to Fleece The Other Half By Selling The Rubble
(The main thing bucking the trend here is the restoration of the Universes at the end of the Tournament of Power, and that only happened because Android #17 is just a punk who wants to shaft Zeno to get his jollies.) These aren't the kinds of people you want to get hold of magic shortcut items whose main property is that they can give you just about anything you want.

And invariably, the people using them who think they're getting what they want aren't actually getting what they want, or get it with awful additional consequences: Sorbet gets Freeza back, and his Boss's thoughtless instinctual revanchism totally works against the stability Sorbet wanted from the wish in the first place; the Gods of Destruction each get an Earth for tasty food, but by fighting over the Super Dragon Balls to get an Earth they also attract the attention of Zamas and Zeno alike, leading to one Multiverse where chaos reigns in a timeline where Beerus is dead and his Earth is ruined, and another where Champa is actually erased along with his Earth (so much for the food); Zamas gets Goku's body but he's crap at using it compared to Goku or Vegeta so isn't getting what he thinks he'll be getting (and the one who's immortal gets walled off because he's weak, and then his immortality gets undone by Zeno anyway as he spends his last moments in abject terror); Moro gets an all-you-can-eat Galactic Buffet and promptly gorges himself to death; Granolah spends all but 3 years of his life just to be 'The Strongest' for 18 days and paint a target on his back in pursuit of a person it looks like he'll never get to meet; and Gas never even wanted his wish in the first place, and he's less effective with it than he wanted to be on his own in the first place.

Why work hard for anything when you can wish for it? Because getting just what you think you want on demand (particularly if you're a crappy person) ends up just being horrific.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:42 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:30 pm Exactly one semi-interesting revelation, that being that Gas apparently always had his Green Lantern powers, which explains some things but opens up new questions. Are these completely natural abilities? Can the other Heeters materialise weapons or other objects from thin air? How does it all work? Oh well, this is the same series where Majin Buu can turn people into candy and Piccolo can shoot Clothes Beams. Why? Just can, bro. This ability really should've been foreshadowed at least once, even if it was just Gas generating a wine glass in Elec's hand or something incidental like that.
I'm pretty sure he's just generating these weapons with ki similar to the anime's presentation of Caway except Gas' weapons are generated with more power and accuracy. I think the reason he learned to use his ki this way is due to his own needs which are centered around the battlefield, maybe traditional large scale medieval type sword to sword battles. Or maybe he just plays too much Dragon Quest 🤷

Piccolo, Buu, Kaioshin and Dabura's weapons/objects are physical objects generated with magic/mysticism IIRC. I don't think Gas is capable of that ... though this wish is vague enough for him to have somehow learned that skill too.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:50 pm

Can't say I really cared for this chapter.

But I love how Gas uses his power to summon weapons for battle. He even became Wolverine for a brief moment.

Outside of that, not much else to it.

Some people still think Freeza is gonna show up. I personally don't see it.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:03 pm

How does Toyotaro accomplish so little in so many pages.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:10 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:50 pm Can't say I really cared for this chapter.

But I love how Gas uses his power to summon weapons for battle. He even became Wolverine for a brief moment.

Outside of that, not much else to it.

Some people still think Freeza is gonna show up. I personally don't see it.
He will show up and use a blast that 'Looks like Destructon."

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:07 pm

I really hope Goku who is known to copy enemy techniques watches Gas and makes his own Ki based Nyoibo which honestly should have happened way before this arc.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:26 pm

I think is unfair to blame Toyotaro and only Toyotaro for what's been going on in this arc. I mean, he is not an eccentric kid coming up with all of this in his uncle's basement, this isn't DB Multiboredom, he is actually playing in the Champions League for FFS, he has an editor, he has Toriyama overseeing his work (and if I understood correctly, this arc was Toyo's idea expanded by Toriyama).

Sure, Toyo is in charge of the details, of how the characters actually beat each other, and while I have no clue how a manga is developed, I doubt there isn't a screenplay or something saying "so in this chapter this will be happening, in the following chapter that will happen, and in the one after that this two are going to fight for a few chapters, and so on...".
And even if this isn't the case, then what's the point in having an editor? is he there just to interview him every 2 months wearing a Perfect Cell hat? is Toriyama no longer overseeing anything? couldn't he tell we are getting empty chapters?? why correct Krilin's smile and not this 45-page mess? what's up with everybody involved doing a half-ass job?
They developed an arc that seemed that would last pretty long but it'll hardy last more than a year.