How do you feel about Totally Not Mark losing 150 videos from his YouTube channel?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

How do you feel about Totally Not Mark losing 150 videos from his YouTube channel?

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:09 pm

(I wasn't sure if this belonged under community discussion or not. If it doesn't a mod can alert me and we can move this thread elsewhere)

In the past two days YouTube "TotallyNotMark" (an anime YouTuber best known for his reviews and analysing Dragon Ball and One Piece content) has lost 150 videos from his YouTube channel due to copyright strikes from Toei Animation Japan. While I wasn't a regular viewer, I can say that what I did watch fell under review/transformative work. Such as analyzing Goku's flat character arc throughout the manga. Some of the videos taken down included Mark drawing Dragon Ball characters with no footage from the anime. Toei wouldn't even have jurisdiction there, maybe shuiesha, but that's still pushing it.
In response Mark posted a video here outlining the loss of his work, and how the YouTube copyright system was taken advantage of. Which I will link here: https://youtu.be/WaeqXWzaizY

So how do you feel about Mark losing 3 years of work? Does someone with better understanding of copyright law than me have anything to add?
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: How do you feel about Totally Not Mark losing 150 videos from his YouTube channel?

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:14 pm

This is probably the discussion you're looking for:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46953
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::