AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:04 pm

So just seen confirmation for AB's upcoming Blu-Ray release.

Looks like they will be releasing the OG Dragon Ball movies with the series to be released by the end of 2022.

I'm personally not expecting this to be better than Selecta Vision's release, because the French masters aren't the best, but who knows.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: AB Video to release OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:35 pm

Still waiting for Funimation to remember the original Dragon Ball is a thing that exist.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:43 pm

Yeah, I still want to see an English-friendly re-release of the original Dragon Ball. Every year it's starting to feel less likely to happen as all Funimation seems to care about doing is re-releasing Z again and again and again. I know Funimation only has digibetas, but they have a great relationship with TOEI, I'd imagine they could go the extra mile to request film for OG Dragon Ball, but like anything else with that series I doubt they would care enough to even try.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:55 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:35 pm Still waiting for Funimation to remember the original Dragon Ball is a thing that exist.
I know right, the last time they even bothered with releasing OG DB in any capacity was back in 2009/2010 with the Blue Bricks. It feels like an eternity since those came out, and while they're decent enough for what they are and have gotten me by for quite a few years now but i'd like a higher quality release to be out there.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:03 am

DB Movie Pack Collection on DVD was last OG DB related home release, after that it's strict "Nobody watched Dragon Ball" policy :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:44 am

coola wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:03 am DB Movie Pack Collection on DVD was last OG DB related home release, after that it's strict "Nobody watched Dragon Ball" policy :(
Yep, same story with GT as well. FUNi has effectively set both in the background and the brick sets are the only way you can get them. They don’t give a rat’s ass about the original series it seems, it’s all about DBZ and re releasing that a bazillion times over (and Super) and nothing else.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:20 am

i am not excited about collecting BluRays anymore, I used to have a big collection and when I moved it was awful.

I would preffer for DB to be on a reliable streaming, like disney plus and that they include it in japanese.

The censorship however continues to worry me, we might never have an uncut high definition version of OG DB, that's a fact.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:26 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:43 pm Yeah, I still want to see an English-friendly re-release of the original Dragon Ball. Every year it's starting to feel less likely to happen as all Funimation seems to care about doing is re-releasing Z again and again and again. I know Funimation only has digibetas, but they have a great relationship with TOEI, I'd imagine they could go the extra mile to request film for OG Dragon Ball, but like anything else with that series I doubt they would care enough to even try.
What’s digibeta’s?

While we are on the topic, something has always bugged me about Toei not using broadcast audio.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:37 am

I just want Toei themselves to put out a Blu-ray release. I no longer want Funimation to release anything related to Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, or Dragon Ball GT.

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:35 pm Still waiting for Funimation to remember the original Dragon Ball is a thing that exist.
toei would need to remember that first before gen's uncle can tell him to remember it

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:25 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:04 pm So just seen confirmation for AB's upcoming Blu-Ray release.

Looks like they will be releasing the OG Dragon Ball movies with the series to be released by the end of 2022.

I'm personally not expecting this to be better than Selecta Vision's release, because the French masters aren't the best, but who knows.

Fuck yeah! I was waiting for so long to get news from this!
Edit : well, I have heard about series on bd for 1,5 year now. That means they would've been working on the remaster for 2,5 years. If it's true. The post says "should release end 2022". Not will.

Edit : you should put this post in general discussion

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gilby1385 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:09 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:04 pm I'm personally not expecting this to be better than Selecta Vision's release, because the French masters aren't the best, but who knows.
Well, there's always the chance that they could use the Japanese masters and splice the French dub audio on.
Aim wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:26 pm What’s digibeta’s?
From my research it is a variation of the BetaCam format.
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:18 pm

coola wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:03 am DB Movie Pack Collection on DVD was last OG DB related home release, after that it's strict "Nobody watched Dragon Ball" policy :(
Pretty much, from Funimation's side they've been acting as if original Dragon Ball doesn't exist for over a decade now.

Oddly enough, back in April 2012 Derek Padula was told by the head of marketing at Funimation he was excited to see what would be on the tape Harmony Gold were sending them and would have been iinterested in using it to help market the next release, which at the time he said would probably be in 2013.

It's interesting that year instead of getting a new OG Dragon Ball release Funimation put out Rock the Dragon and the Blu-Ray season sets. The original pitch for the former was a bare bones line of DVDs for Walmart with the original broadcast versions, which would have been great, but even better if there was going to be a re-release of the edited Toonami dub of OG Dragon Ball or the BLT dub with an extra showing clips from both the Harmony Gold and pilot Zero dubs. I wouldn't expect Funimation to include other companies English dubs as extra audio tracks as they have never done that, but there would have been great potential for a Legacy documentary/featurette of sorts with material like that.
sangofe wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:25 am Fuck yeah! I was waiting for so long to get news from this!
Edit : well, I have heard about series on bd for 1,5 year now. That means they would've been working on the remaster for 2,5 years. If it's true. The post says "should release end 2022". Not will.

Edit : you should put this post in general discussion
Great to hear, I knew you would be excited. Feel free to update this thread as more news comes. I know there's a lot of fans that grew up on the French dub that will be eagerly awaiting this.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:55 pm

Well, France did get film of Dragon Ball a very, very long time ago. Their original video transfers of that film ended up forming the basis of Ocean's Calgary dub of DB, which looked just fine; we know they still had their film of the movies and specials a few years ago when they did that DVD set of some very nice 4:3 transfers of Z movies 7-11 and the Trunks special. It's entirely possible this ends up being a legitimate HD film transfer of DB. If so, then YAY!

But, nobody get your hopes up. It's fairly likely this is just another shitty upscale like the SelectaVision release.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:43 pm I know Funimation only has digibetas,
It's possible Funimation still has some portion of OG Dragon Ball on film. They definitely disposed of at least some of their prints, but we don't know if it was all of it. It is also possible (though not especially likely) that Funimation did a transfer of DB at the same time as they transferred Z for the Levels and Season Blu-rays as a "just in case" thing before disposing of the film.

The fact is, Funimation has never been transparent about this stuff (and in fairness they don't have much reason to be transparent given their release strategy over the past 20 years), so we don't know the facts.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:18 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/AB_Video/sta ... 0985851908

AB just tweeted there will be an announcement next week. I'm guessing the movies since it was tagged dbz big news.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:39 am

Sorry for the double post. I don't see an edit button.
Found this listing which seems to indicate a collection box of all the movies is coming out on blu ray the 30th of March:

https://www.fnac.com/a16512721/Integral ... earchpos=3

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:05 am

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:41 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:05 am Confirmed for November 23rd.
Interesting.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:49 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:04 pm So just seen confirmation for AB's upcoming Blu-Ray release.

This will be interesting. I’m holding out that this could be a good release but we will have to wait and see. The selecta visions were a huge letdown. I hope AB group has done a true remaster but we will have to wait and see.

Inkei9001
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Inkei9001 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:07 pm

I'll be shocked if this is anything but a variant of the dbox. People need to let go of the endless hopium and accept that no company cares since they know consoomer will but anything dragon ball. Especially with what super shit showed them