AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Re: AB Video to release OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by M16U3L2015 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:15 pm

Inkei9001 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:37 pm
Scsigs wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:17 pm
dragonmagico wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:56 pm Kai wasn't modernized it just had basic color correction. It's fairly similar to the 90s lasersdiscs even so not modern.
Kai doesn't look like it had "basic" color correction. It seems like it had more extensive color correction, given what's left of the masters Toei has & what was shown on the Dragon Boxes. Although, I can see TFC having only a basic color correction, since that part of the series always looks pretty good no matter what remaster it gets due to being newer than the rest of the stuff.
We don't really know the extent to which Kai was color graded. It has been confirmed that Kai used master positives while DBox is commonly said to have used negatives? Not seen definitive confirmation on what DBox used but the shot-to-shot color cast variation does make it seem like it might've been the negatives. Master positives are color timed so usually don't have to deal with DBox levels of color volatility.

Kai's remastering approach does make the show resemble the cels but this also isn't always the result of a great deal of effort, nor "modernizing" that a lot of kanzenfolk used to say. Usually just scanning a well condition film master and expanding its dynamic range is all you need for a "cel-like" look. That's why the person before you said even Laserdisc colors have an aesthetic comparable to Kai, because it's not that much work to get a cel-like aesthetic off a good film master.

Or yeah, maybe it was a complex process I wish we got to see more before and afters of
The Kanzenshuu article says that Q-Tec used 16mm and 35mm masters for scanning, but does not clarify whether they were the true original negatives or a first generation copy. Besides, it is not known how deep the color correction was.
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/animation-pr ... mastering/

And this is the only image we have before the remastering process started. https://www.kanzenshuu.com/guides/produ ... mecode.png

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:12 am

Considering the international uproar the release is making, and the lack of decent releases of Z aside from the few episodes from the FUNi Level sets, I think it would be a pretty dumb decision for AB not to do Z. But we'll have to wait and see.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:22 am

Dragon Ball is massive in France though right? And it's been over 10 years since AB released those box sets for Dragon Ball Z. I think it stands to reason assuming they sold well that AB would want to keep the money train going by giving Z fans a long awaited upgrade.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:01 pm

omegalucas wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:12 am Considering the international uproar the release is making, and the lack of decent releases of Z aside from the few episodes from the FUNi Level sets, I think it would be a pretty dumb decision for AB not to do Z. But we'll have to wait and see.
I agree but you can never take anything for granted.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:18 pm

Just for fun here's also the original JP broadcast and blue bricks for comparison

it's kind of crazy that this has broadcast audio on a official release (looks like our dream came true lol). As far as the colours are concerned they are better then the D-Box and blue bricks. The white balance in most scenes is really good and in rare scene that isn't quite good still wins over d-box. And the hue (individually changing the colours) is good on most colours not to mention that they fix the contrast no more greyish blacks, it's quite good someone clearly put in the effort to make this cc a good one. I can nitpick certain things for example Oolongs green outfit is inaccurate. it's supposed to be much more of a yellow greenish colour and much more bright and not dark, I can give more examples but like, this is not only fine this is perfectly ok pretty good for an official release in terms of everything.

if the colours are meant to bother someone they're going to bother me because I know how it's supposed to look like but I'm perfectly fine with it it's really watchable, it's not going to be one to one with the cels or broadcast, but the sheer fact that this was done in 2 months is simply incredible.

And we have to remember it's not in 16:9, it's not DNRed to hell, it's not overly contrasti or supersaturated cough* cough* Funny or has some kind of weird GREEN/YELLOW tint cough* cough* Toei

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:50 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:28 pm Has there been any comparison yet with the TOEI DB flashback in Kai? That might be an interesting comparison (I know Kai was made to look for modern, but for the sake of detail lol) I have neither release so.. :lol:
No....

Kai was not made to look modern rather to be as close as possible to the cels. Most of Kai is looks almost exactly like cels with the rare exception here and there. The reason why the details sucks is because they most likely didn't calibrate there scanner properly for 16mm film so it looks really blurry and some DNR removed the texture so it ended up looking soft. While the episodes that were filmed on 35mm look super sharp. This is a myth that's been going around here for years.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:53 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:01 pm
omegalucas wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:12 am Considering the international uproar the release is making, and the lack of decent releases of Z aside from the few episodes from the FUNi Level sets, I think it would be a pretty dumb decision for AB not to do Z. But we'll have to wait and see.
I agree but you can never take anything for granted.
Indeed. We'll need to wait till they finish DB. And hope.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

AlexGanon

Post by AlexGanon » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:21 pm

Hey everyone, i’ve never posted on here just read. I want to buy this release and i’m probably going to, but is there any negatives to the AI upscale? besides a few kanji?

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:16 am

AlexGanon wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:21 pm Hey everyone, i’ve never posted on here just read. I want to buy this release and i’m probably going to, but is there any negatives to the AI upscale? besides a few kanji?
Just watch Ajays Review. I think he covers everything important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlGY8u9PbwI
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:38 am

AlexGanon wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:21 pm Hey everyone, i’ve never posted on here just read. I want to buy this release and i’m probably going to, but is there any negatives to the AI upscale? besides a few kanji?
You can't turn off the French subs. It's either in French without subs or in Japanese with subs.

AlexGanon

Post by AlexGanon » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:47 am

Jord wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:38 am
You can't turn off the French subs. It's either in French without subs or in Japanese with subs.
Oh okay, thank you for letting me know! Ordered it shorty after i posted, is there any way i can potentially rip the episodes from the disc and overlay my own subtitles?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:22 pm

For comparison sake, 30th Anni. flashback caps
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:14 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:22 pm For comparison sake, 30th Anni. flashback caps
Wow, that looks so bad.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:42 am

AlexGanon wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:47 am
Jord wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:38 am
Oh okay, thank you for letting me know! Ordered it shorty after i posted, is there any way i can potentially rip the episodes from the disc and overlay my own subtitles?
You should be able to. As far as I can tell, the subs aren't hardcoded on the video. Whenever you switch language with the quick menu the subs momentarily disappear.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:02 pm

Haven't tried it myself (finishing my DBGT rewatch first) but you should be able to disable the subs by using either the Blu-ray player remote or the console options.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:13 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:22 pm For comparison sake, 30th Anni. flashback caps
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08i9kvCJvJ0 :sick: :sick: it actually looks like the 30th, and what's even worse is that Funny would do something like this if OG DB was popular as Z

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:53 am

I'm curious about the episode distribution for the next releases. AB seems to be more or less splitting by arcs and this one ends right before the Baba episodes at 68.

If the next one has more or less the same amount of episodes it should end right after the training after Piccolo filler which would leave the 23rd Tenkaichi and the Wedding arc for Box 3 which is just around 20 episodes which is a 1/3 of the first (and hypothetical second) box set(s).

How do you think they're gonna do it? Doubt they'll include a Dragon Book to fill in the space of the box. Makes me wonder why they didn't just include the Baba episodes in Box 1 (that tie up the remaining plot points from the Red Ribbon arc) and made this two boxes of around 74-78 episodes each.

They could also just have the rest of the episodes in Box 2.

MistaL
Beyond Newbie

Post by MistaL » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:34 am

omegalucas wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:53 am I'm curious about the episode distribution for the next releases. AB seems to be more or less splitting by arcs and this one ends right before the Baba episodes at 68.

If the next one has more or less the same amount of episodes it should end right after the training after Piccolo filler which would leave the 23rd Tenkaichi and the Wedding arc for Box 3 which is just around 20 episodes which is a 1/3 of the first (and hypothetical second) box set(s).

How do you think they're gonna do it? Doubt they'll include a Dragon Book to fill in the space of the box. Makes me wonder why they didn't just include the Baba episodes in Box 1 (that tie up the remaining plot points from the Red Ribbon arc) and made this two boxes of around 74-78 episodes each.

They could also just have the rest of the episodes in Box 2.
Tbh I think it'd be cool if they started Z in box 3. They're the same series in everything but name anyway

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:07 am

I checked their previous DVD releases of the series, which also ended Box 1 at episode 68. They then released a Box 2 with 69-153 so I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same now.

If they keep the releases similar to the DVDs, it would be two Dragon Ball sets (1-68, 69-153), three for Z (1-117, 118-199, 200-291) and one for GT (1-64).

Caulifor
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Caulifor » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:24 pm

omegalucas wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:07 am I checked their previous DVD releases of the series, which also ended Box 1 at episode 68. They then released a Box 2 with 69-153 so I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same now.

If they keep the releases similar to the DVDs, it would be two Dragon Ball sets (1-68, 69-153), three for Z (1-117, 118-199, 200-291) and one for GT (1-64).
Did you happen to take a look at the release dates? I mean, it's safe to assume the time frame between releases will be similar, right? I can't wait for the rest of DB and hopefully, Z and GT as well!
I haven't watched most of the anime in a long time, but I did read the manga over and over again.
That is where most of my knowledge from the series come from.