AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Re: AB Video to release OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by omegalucas » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:34 am

Caulifor wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:24 pm
omegalucas wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:07 am I checked their previous DVD releases of the series, which also ended Box 1 at episode 68. They then released a Box 2 with 69-153 so I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same now.

If they keep the releases similar to the DVDs, it would be two Dragon Ball sets (1-68, 69-153), three for Z (1-117, 118-199, 200-291) and one for GT (1-64).
Did you happen to take a look at the release dates? I mean, it's safe to assume the time frame between releases will be similar, right? I can't wait for the rest of DB and hopefully, Z and GT as well!
I looked around and apparently Z was released first, each box 5 to 7 months apart from each other. For some reason Box 1 of OG Dragon Ball came out a month before Box 3 of Z which is weird, then Box 2 came out 4 months later. So I'd say on average around six months.

However, take this with a grain of salt as back then I think they were releasing the Dragon Box footage largely untouched, so the timing might not be the same on the account that there's an upscale being done this time (even if for this first box apparently the upscale itself was done in two months according to Ajay).
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:57 pm

omegalucas wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:34 am
Caulifor wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:24 pm
omegalucas wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:07 am I checked their previous DVD releases of the series, which also ended Box 1 at episode 68. They then released a Box 2 with 69-153 so I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same now.

If they keep the releases similar to the DVDs, it would be two Dragon Ball sets (1-68, 69-153), three for Z (1-117, 118-199, 200-291) and one for GT (1-64).
Did you happen to take a look at the release dates? I mean, it's safe to assume the time frame between releases will be similar, right? I can't wait for the rest of DB and hopefully, Z and GT as well!
I looked around and apparently Z was released first, each box 5 to 7 months apart from each other. For some reason Box 1 of OG Dragon Ball came out a month before Box 3 of Z which is weird, then Box 2 came out 4 months later. So I'd say on average around six months.

However, take this with a grain of salt as back then I think they were releasing the Dragon Box footage largely untouched, so the timing might not be the same on the account that there's an upscale being done this time (even if for this first box apparently the upscale itself was done in two months according to Ajay).
They actually messed around with colors then, too. And they messed up the encoding. It was way too bitstarved. AB is way better than they were.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:20 am

I would love a edit of this the removes all the bad fillers plus have a fan who can retrace in the 80s and 90s style of both dragon ball and z to fix the all off model characters backgrounds etc. basically a better version of Kai I know that’s a pipe dream but still it hurts looking at dragon ball and z sometimes.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:05 pm

Alright, I just preordered the first German Blu-ray volume for pickup on release day (February 12th) at a local store. https://www.mediamarkt.at/de/product/_d ... 14006.html Maybe I'll be able to pick it up a little sooner (tomorrow or on Wednesday), if they don't take the release date too serious :wink: I don't really care about the new German "patchwork" uncut track, but I'm really curious to hear if there is some Japanese broadcast audio on these discs :D

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:14 pm

Javaki wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:05 pm Alright, I just preordered the first German Blu-ray volume for pickup on release day (February 12th) at a local store. https://www.mediamarkt.at/de/product/_d ... 14006.html Maybe I'll be able to pick it up a little sooner (tomorrow or on Wednesday), if they don't take the release date too serious :wink: I don't really care about the new German "patchwork" uncut track, but I'm really curious to hear if there is some Japanese broadcast audio on these discs :D
The DVD is already out in some stores, with the claim "it doesnt have a publish date". The Blu-ray on the other hand still waits for the 12th february date. I'm also curious about what masters they use and what audio.
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:16 pm

jjbgood wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:14 pmThe DVD is already out in some stores, with the claim "it doesnt have a publish date". The Blu-ray on the other hand still waits for the 12th february date. I'm also curious about what masters they use and what audio.
I wonder if AB are further tweaking their remaster of the first 28 episodes to address the some of the finer points fans have brought to their attention and are planning to send Germany an updated remaster, perhaps that might be a possible reason the date has been pushed back twice to give AB some more time to do some further refinement, probably wishful thinking but at this point, you never really know what's gonna happen with this franchise anymore.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

mh2207

Post by mh2207 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:37 am

jjbgood wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:14 pm
Javaki wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:05 pm Alright, I just preordered the first German Blu-ray volume for pickup on release day (February 12th) at a local store. https://www.mediamarkt.at/de/product/_d ... 14006.html Maybe I'll be able to pick it up a little sooner (tomorrow or on Wednesday), if they don't take the release date too serious :wink: I don't really care about the new German "patchwork" uncut track, but I'm really curious to hear if there is some Japanese broadcast audio on these discs :D
The DVD is already out in some stores, with the claim "it doesnt have a publish date". The Blu-ray on the other hand still waits for the 12th february date. I'm also curious about what masters they use and what audio.
I just got the german Blu-Ray

No Broadcast audio

Edit For comparison:
Image Image

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:14 pm

mh2207 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:37 am
jjbgood wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:14 pm
I just got the german Blu-Ray

No Broadcast audio

Edit For comparison:
Image Image
Well looks like Germany got the selecta vision master. AB master looks like this

mh2207

Post by mh2207 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:31 pm

I don't know if it is the same as SV, but it definitely does not look as good as ABs.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:19 am

mh2207 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:31 pm I don't know if it is the same as SV, but it definitely does not look as good as ABs.
Great so usa gets screwed yet again when it comes to anything in the dragon ball franchise what else is new crunchyroll is the new what was it media blasters , harmony gold it was one of these companies that was considered the golden **** of the anime industry back in the day.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:28 am

supersaiyamangod wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:19 am
mh2207 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:31 pm I don't know if it is the same as SV, but it definitely does not look as good as ABs.
Great so usa gets screwed yet again when it comes to anything in the dragon ball franchise what else is new crunchyroll is the new what was it media blasters , harmony gold it was one of these companies that was considered the golden **** of the anime industry back in the day.
germany.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:56 pm

Shaddy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:28 am
germany.
The likelihood of crunchyroll releasing this in the US is high, if they release anything.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:05 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:56 pm

germany.
The likelihood of crunchyroll releasing this in the US is high, if they release anything.
Yeah that’s why I brought it thanks for clarifying it it’s a shame funimation when they were in change were close with two release and one was canceled the level set the other was the Dragon boxes. why does it have to be crunchyroll that owns dragonball and not a good anime company that gives a damn.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:46 pm

supersaiyamangod wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:05 pm

germany.
Yeah that’s why I brought it thanks for clarifying it it’s a shame funimation when they were in change were close with two release and one was canceled the level set the other was the Dragon boxes. why does it have to be crunchyroll that owns dragonball and not a good anime company that gives a damn.
It's almost impossible to understand what you write, man.

Either way, I'm so happy to know French now!

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:10 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:46 pm
supersaiyamangod wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:05 pm

Yeah that’s why I brought it up thanks for clarifying it it’s a shame funimation when they were in change were close with two releases and one was canceled the level set the other was the Dragon boxes. why does it have to be crunchyroll that owns dragonball and not a good anime company that gives a damn.
It's almost impossible to understand what you write, man.

Either way, I'm so happy to know French now!

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:40 pm

Question, how zoomed in footage is, compared to DBox? I remember it was issue in Blue Bricks http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/711UXZpnCVL.png
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:43 pm

A small little comparison for that shot (JP broadcast, blue brick, dragon box, AB)
coola wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:40 pm Question, how zoomed in footage is, compared to DBox? I remember it was issue in Blue Bricks http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/711UXZpnCVL.png
I don't know how much by episode, but in this specific shot

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:25 am

Pride9000!!! wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:43 pm A small little comparison for that shot (JP broadcast, blue brick, dragon box, AB)
coola wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:40 pm Question, how zoomed in footage is, compared to DBox? I remember it was issue in Blue Bricks http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/711UXZpnCVL.png
This is a very unclear screen shot both in quality, and in what is what. I have seen better screen shots floating around but can't remember exactly where. You don't lose a lot of picture with the AB release. Got to 02:22 in AnimeAjay's review and you will see how much:
https://youtu.be/mlGY8u9PbwI

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:20 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:25 am
Pride9000!!! wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:43 pm A small little comparison for that shot (JP broadcast, blue brick, dragon box, AB)
This is a very unclear screen shot both in quality, and in what is what. I have seen better screen shots floating around but can't remember exactly where. You don't lose a lot of picture with the AB release. Got to 02:22 in AnimeAjay's review and you will see how much:
https://youtu.be/mlGY8u9PbwI
Thank you both :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:24 pm

Well, my German copy still didn't arrive at my local store. After reading about the lack of broadcast audio on the German discs, I ordered a copy of the first French Blu-ray volume, which did arrived at my home today :D
I watched the first two episodes and I'm very pleased with the video quality on these - some camera pans looked a bit blurry, and the screen sometimes appears to be shaking a tiny bit - but it looks very impressive for an upscale. Maybe also thanks to the added fake-grain? As expected, the Japanese broadcast audio sounds so much better than the Japanese audio track on my blue bricks. :mrgreen:

The only problem I have now is that my French skills are pretty much nonexistent. Maybe I'll rip the German subtitles from the German discs (once they arrive) and combine them with the video + broadcast audio from the French Blu-rays. But only if the German subs are very good, otherwise I'll go with the English subtitles from the blue bricks instead, as I usually prefer Simmons subs with more retained details (like how people address each other).