AB Video to release original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: AB Video to release OG Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:03 pm

Javaki wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:24 pm
Javaki wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:05 pm Alright, I just preordered the first German Blu-ray volume for pickup on release day (February 12th) at a local store. https://www.mediamarkt.at/de/product/_d ... 14006.html Maybe I'll be able to pick it up a little sooner (tomorrow or on Wednesday), if they don't take the release date too serious :wink: I don't really care about the new German "patchwork" uncut track, but I'm really curious to hear if there is some Japanese broadcast audio on these discs :D
Well, my German copy still didn't arrive at my local store. After reading about the lack of broadcast audio on the German discs, I ordered a copy of the first French Blu-ray volume, which did arrived at my home today :D
I watched the first two episodes and I'm very pleased with the video quality on these - some camera pans looked a bit blurry, and the screen sometimes appears to be shaking a tiny bit - but it looks very impressive for an upscale. Maybe also thanks to the added fake-grain? As expected, the Japanese broadcast audio sounds so much better than the Japanese audio track on my blue bricks. :mrgreen:

The only problem I have now is that my French skills are pretty much nonexistent. Maybe I'll rip the German subtitles from the German discs (once they arrive) and combine them with the video + broadcast audio from the French Blu-rays. But only if the German subs are very good, otherwise I'll go with the English subtitles from the blue bricks instead, as I usually prefer Simmons subs with more retained details (like how people address each other).
Can you please make direct screen capture comparisons between Selecta, German and French sets?

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:45 am

Can you please make direct screen capture comparisons between Selecta, German and French sets?
One of my friends made a comparison hope it helps https://slow.pics/c/tHodgO4k

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:02 am

That's a pretty misleading comparison in isolation.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:40 pm

Pride9000!!! wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:45 am
One of my friends made a comparison hope it helps https://slow.pics/c/tHodgO4k
No it didn't help at all.

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Javaki » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:13 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:03 pm Can you please make direct screen capture comparisons between Selecta, German and French sets?
I unfortunately still didn't receive my German copy yet :| But I'll do French/German comparisons once I do. :thumbup:

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:42 am

I find it kind of odd that it's been 5 months and the second box hasn't been announced or even teased.

I hope it doesn't become a Level set scenario. Know what I'm sayin', bud?

But seriously, does anyone have any insight to a follow-up?

Also, it's my contention that it will definitely be a shoo-in for the master audio of GT coming to us if AB releases that on Blu-ray. Between this and the movie box mirroring Toei's movie sets, the proof is in the pudding for me.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:21 am

I guess they take their time now... if they produced the first box in 2 months, like ajay said, then they might even increase the quality for the second box with more time...
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:00 pm

GokuDaimao wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:42 am I find it kind of odd that it's been 5 months and the second box hasn't been announced or even teased.

But seriously, does anyone have any insight to a follow-up?

Also, it's my contention that it will definitely be a shoo-in for the master audio of GT coming to us if AB releases that on Blu-ray. Between this and the movie box mirroring Toei's movie sets, the proof is in the pudding for me.
AB barely said anything before the release of box 1, apart from the cover artist, so don't worry. I know for a fact that he finished the art work composition for box 2

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:01 pm

I wish a remaster with ab groupe getting the film prints to use for a proper remaster of this box set and box set two was possible. along with a z box set the movies and the two z specials but I know that’s a pipe dream. :(

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:41 am

supersaiyamangod wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:01 pm I wish a remaster with ab groupe getting the film prints to use for a proper remaster of this box set and box set two was possible. along with a z box set the movies and the two z specials but I know that’s a pipe dream. :(
Film frints? You mean th 16 mm reels? Yeah, that's not happening. There is no guarantee they would make a better remaster than Toei either for the movies and DBZ TV Specials.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:44 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:41 am
supersaiyamangod wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:01 pm I wish a remaster with ab groupe getting the film prints to use for a proper remaster of this box set and box set two was possible. along with a z box set the movies and the two z specials but I know that’s a pipe dream. :(
Film frints? You mean th 16 mm reels? Yeah, that's not happening. There is no guarantee they would make a better remaster than Toei either for the movies and DBZ TV Specials.
Read the last part I know it’s pipe dream sadly which makes me despise toei. :(

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:20 am

GokuDaimao wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:42 am I find it kind of odd that it's been 5 months and the second box hasn't been announced or even teased.

Judging from all previous DVD/Blu-ray boxes, they usually keep the follow-up for a good year after.
So expect a full year between the release date of box 1 and the release date for box 2.

Same goes for the four new/compiled Daizenshuu guides that are being released here by the way, they are willingly letting a full year go by before the next volume comes up: it allows the creators/translators to take their time to do the job and it is deemed smarter to spread the costs apart for the audience instead of releasing expensive products just a few months apart.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:01 am

Cold Skin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:20 am

Judging from all previous DVD/Blu-ray boxes, they usually keep the follow-up for a good year after.
So expect a full year between the release date of box 1 and the release date for box 2.

Same goes for the four new/compiled Daizenshuu guides that are being released here by the way, they are willingly letting a full year go by before the next volume comes up: it allows the creators/translators to take their time to do the job and it is deemed smarter to spread the costs apart for the audience instead of releasing expensive products just a few months apart.
Laughs in the cancelled Viz Full Color Manga releases...

I'm genuinely still waiting for at least the Android & Buu arcs to be released. They've said themselves on Twitter that they haven't cancelled them, but it's been 8 years, so they better pick those back up soon. :lol: :wtf:
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:48 pm

^ Oh, I was talking about what happens in France, like this OG DB release.
I know in the US, the publishers are not afraid to cancel a collection before the end (infamous case: the Level sets).

In France, when it comes to DB, collections go to the end.
And for DVD/Blu-ray boxes, the various parts of a set are usually set one year apart if memory serves, so it should be the same with this release.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:13 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:48 pm ^ Oh, I was talking about what happens in France, like this OG DB release.
I know in the US, the publishers are not afraid to cancel a collection before the end (infamous case: the Level sets).

In France, when it comes to DB, collections go to the end.
And for DVD/Blu-ray boxes, the various parts of a set are usually set one year apart if memory serves, so it should be the same with this release.
Oh yeah. I was just joking about how some releases are either cancelled, or take way too long to come out. If Viz had finished the full color manga like they should've 6-8 years ago, I'd have the full DB manga, or at least what Z adapted. Do we have the sales figures of the Viz releases of them? I'd think they would've sold well enough to continue them passed 8 volumes. Granted, this is Viz media where they took over a year & a half to release part 5 of Bleach on Blu-Ray after part 4 came out for no reason, so who knows?

Flameo Hotman

Post by Flameo Hotman » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:45 am

Ajay wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:02 am That's a pretty misleading comparison in isolation.
What exactly is the issue with Selecta Visions Blu Rays of the original Dragonball? I saw pictures of their DBZ Remaster, do the same problems apply there as well?
Would you say they are worse than the 30th anniversairy sets?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:37 am

Flameo Hotman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:45 am
Ajay wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:02 am That's a pretty misleading comparison in isolation.
What exactly is the issue with Selecta Visions Blu Rays of the original Dragonball? I saw pictures of their DBZ Remaster, do the same problems apply there as well?
Would you say they are worse than the 30th anniversary sets?
From what he said in his video on the AB Groupe remaster, Selecta Vision's release is a bad upscale of the Dragon Box masters over this one, which was actually done pretty well.
https://youtu.be/mlGY8u9PbwI

Flameo Hotman

Post by Flameo Hotman » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:53 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:37 am
Flameo Hotman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:45 am
Would you say they are worse than the 30th anniversary sets?
From what he said in his video on the AB Groupe remaster, Selecta Vision's release is a bad upscale of the Dragon Box masters over this one, which was actually done pretty well.
https://youtu.be/mlGY8u9PbwI
Yes I heard that much already but as a layman I really don't know what to look for when rating the image quality of these sets.
I saw screenshots of the DBZ Orange Bricks and those really do suck. But I find it tough to see for the other releases like the 30th anniversairy and the selecta vision ones.

If the latter of which is an upscale of the Dragon Boxes shouldn't it look clone to as good as those or even better since they are in Blu Ray?

I really want Dragonball and Dragonball Z on Home Video but the Dragon Boxes are way too expensive for a student like me and my french is pretty much non existent at this point.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:27 pm

Flameo Hotman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:53 pm Yes I heard that much already but as a layman I really don't know what to look for when rating the image quality of these sets.
I saw screenshots of the DBZ Orange Bricks and those really do suck. But I find it tough to see for the other releases like the 30th anniversary and the selecta vision ones.

If the latter of which is an upscale of the Dragon Boxes shouldn't it look clone to as good as those or even better since they are in Blu Ray?

I really want Dragonball and Dragonball Z on Home Video but the Dragon Boxes are way too expensive for a student like me and my french is pretty much non existent at this point.
The Orange Bricks are shit. The 30th anniversary remaster is bad as well, but in some different ways.

Well, kinda. However, upscaling from a compressed SD 480i/p source doesn't always turn out great results, especially if it's rushed, or the people involved don't know what they're doing. I don't know exactly what's off with Selecta Vision's remaster, but I know it's not that good, unfortunately.

I just need the first 4 DBoxes. I may buy them over the Summer, but I don't know.

Flameo Hotman

Post by Flameo Hotman » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:28 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:27 pm
Flameo Hotman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:53 pm Yes I heard that much already but as a layman I really don't know what to look for when rating the image quality of these sets.
I saw screenshots of the DBZ Orange Bricks and those really do suck. But I find it tough to see for the other releases like the 30th anniversary and the selecta vision ones.

The Orange Bricks are shit. The 30th anniversary remaster is bad as well, but in some different ways.

Well, kinda. However, upscaling from a compressed SD 480i/p source doesn't always turn out great results, especially if it's rushed, or the people involved don't know what they're doing. I don't know exactly what's off with Selecta Vision's remaster, but I know it's not that good, unfortunately.

I just need the first 4 DBoxes. I may buy them over the Summer, but I don't know.
Hmm. I may just opt to buy the DB Kai DVDs or Blu Rays for Z and wait until Z gets a proper release.