Budokai 4 in 2022

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Budokai 4 in 2022

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:55 pm

Dragon Ball Z Budokai is turning 20 this year and it was played at the Battle Hour event so I think Bandai has something in store for the series. It's either that or another HD Collection (only this time include Budokai 2 and online functionality).

Daisuke Uchiyama may have said Budokai 3 was meant to be the last game for the series but it had several spiritual successors like Shin Budokai and Infinite World which expanded on the foundation of B3.

Budokai 4 may be the long-waited serious continuation of the Budokai series in the makings.

The gameplay would probably be similar to Infinite World which had the P/K combo system but without the multi-directional inputs and you chain them into super moves freely. The fatigue system would be more like Budokai 3's. Ultimate moves would be like Shin Budokai where they are all real-time.

The single-player campaign could be a mix of the first and third Budokai's. Straightforward story mode with in-game cutscenes and minor RPG elements. They would also tone down the jumping through hoops for unlockables. I could also see it covering Super territory.

The customization system would be like Shin Budokai. It's mainly just for boosting stats while special moves and transformations are integral to characters.

As for other game modes... World Tournament would return but you would earn zeni fighting through other single-player modes like arcade and survival mode. There would also be an other unlockable game mode where you can boost your leveled up character. Training would be much more expansive allowing the player to make the AI perform a wide variety of actions and more display options. The tutorial would teach very advanced stuff like guard cancel and tracking attacks. Maybe even have a combo training section.

But I may be getting ahead of my self but since Bandai has the code of the games, anything is possible.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Re: Budokai 4 in 2022

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:47 pm

I could see them doing another collection more so than a new game but the new game would be the more exciting option. I actually enjoyed the story board element of Budokai 2, it made it interesting but yea a new Budokai-like game would sell like hot cakes on pure nostalgia alone. Even with how shitty the HD collect was , it was well received by fans(look at the amazon reviews). Let’s hope and see what they have in store for us.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:31 pm

I really hope you're right. The Battle Hour thing might not mean anything, but then again maybe it could be a sign of things to come.

A new game would be the best case scenario, although another collection with B2 and Infinite World included would be great too. It's a shame the Yamamoto music would have to be replaced, but I'll take what I can get.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:54 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:31 pm I really hope you're right. The Battle Hour thing might not mean anything, but then again maybe it could be a sign of things to come.

A new game would be the best case scenario, although another collection with B2 and Infinite World included would be great too. It's a shame the Yamamoto music would have to be replaced, but I'll take what I can get.
It would definitely have to have an Online mode, that would put so much replay value in the game. Is the HD collection available for purchase on the PS4 or PS5 digitally?
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:55 pm

I'm not sure a new Budokai would really manage to be popular nowadays while keeping the same gameplay.

A big thing about Budokai 3 was the content it had, which was fun enough, and players mostly didn't know about it more than just PPPPE combos.

By being a fighting game now, what would need to be important is the online competitive side, offline can still be there, and it should, but the competitive side needs to be interesting, and, Budokai is an oddball, because of the cancels you can make, the game's really about mix ups, and you have to counter the opponent's mix ups by teleporting, and then the opponent may have counters for your teleport in the strings.

Basically, the game doesn't have much of a neutral and is very mix up heavy, and too many characters are just, trash, and not even the trash characters who are unusual, they just have inferior tools.

So yeah, the game would need a lot of changes so the competitive side is improved, otherwise, it's not flashy enough to compete with Xenoverse, and it's not kinda polished enough to compete with DBFZ.

I do hear some improvements happened in Shin Budokai games at least, I think you can't do juggles infinitely in those? Which's an improvement in not making the game look janky, at least.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:20 am

Lukmendes wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:55 pm I'm not sure a new Budokai would really manage to be popular nowadays while keeping the same gameplay.

A big thing about Budokai 3 was the content it had, which was fun enough, and players mostly didn't know about it more than just PPPPE combos.

By being a fighting game now, what would need to be important is the online competitive side, offline can still be there, and it should, but the competitive side needs to be interesting, and, Budokai is an oddball, because of the cancels you can make, the game's really about mix ups, and you have to counter the opponent's mix ups by teleporting, and then the opponent may have counters for your teleport in the strings.

Basically, the game doesn't have much of a neutral and is very mix up heavy, and too many characters are just, trash, and not even the trash characters who are unusual, they just have inferior tools.

So yeah, the game would need a lot of changes so the competitive side is improved, otherwise, it's not flashy enough to compete with Xenoverse, and it's not kinda polished enough to compete with DBFZ.

I do hear some improvements happened in Shin Budokai games at least, I think you can't do juggles infinitely in those? Which's an improvement in not making the game look janky, at least.
Well, if there was a new Budokai game id expect it to build off of what Burst Limit and Shin Budokai started. Here's an example of a pro level Burst Limit player https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3j3o5JpQPA, this game definitely had untapped potential.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:35 am

Lukmendes wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:55 pm I'm not sure a new Budokai would really manage to be popular nowadays while keeping the same gameplay.

Shin Budokai and Infinite World noticeably made several improvements to neutral and give characters more varied tools.

https://youtu.be/C8LEzPzNf-0
https://youtu.be/vA6HmpqOVN0

The former however is a portable game and the latter is a budget title.

I think Budokai 4 could easily be adapted for competitive play. Budokai 3 and following already had the makings of a good fighting game.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:42 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:20 am Well, if there was a new Budokai game id expect it to build off of what Burst Limit and Shin Budokai started. Here's an example of a pro level Burst Limit player https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3j3o5JpQPA, this game definitely had untapped potential.
I mean, combos are nice, but I'm talking about Budokai games having mechanical issues when playing the game itself, bad spacing means you'll stay at the opponent's face trying to out punch 'em, that makes the game have a lot less depth.
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:35 am Shin Budokai and Infinite World noticeably made several improvements to neutral and give characters more varied tools.

https://youtu.be/C8LEzPzNf-0
https://youtu.be/vA6HmpqOVN0

The former however is a portable game and the latter is a budget title.

I think Budokai 4 could easily be adapted for competitive play. Budokai 3 and following already had the makings of a good fighting game.
Sure, I'm just saying it couldn't be like Budokai 3, and that Infinite World video you posted show the issues with it, with how much characters stay glued at each other's face, making both have to constantly deal with mix ups, though it looks like Shin Budokai improved a lot of it.

I'm not saying that mix ups are a bad thing, just that fighters tend to improve when you can space out, though admitedly, even with IW still being all about staying that close to someone, you still have to get close, and there are more options for that when compared to Budokai 3 (With Goku in particular getting one the best ones with that fucking elbow lol).

One thing they would need to get rid of is the ki baseline for some characters being higher (Or at least, not let it be so much higher to the point some have literally the double higher ki baseline), that is a dumb advantage some characters end up getting, since they by default can recover more ki. Omega Shenron in particular in Budokai 3 was specially bad, since he had all 7 as higher ki bars, and he was one of the best characters on top of that lol.

So yeah, games have potential, but Dimps or whoever makes 'em would have to polish a lot and not forget the improvements they made, and try to avoid random annoying pitfalls, like IW's dizzy system.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:09 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:54 pm Is the HD collection available for purchase on the PS4 or PS5 digitally?
Unfortunately it isn't. I still have my PS3 copy but my PS3 died last year. Hopefully the rumour about PS5 becoming PS3 game compatible is true. Still I do have my PS2 and my old copies of all the games.

Budokai 3 is still a lot of people's favourite DB game, and it hasn't had a sequel since 2008. A new sequel could get really far on nostalgia alone. Plus there's potential to further refine the combat system. Infinite World already improved on it significantly, and that game only had a small budget.

B3/IW do have an unconventional neutral with the defensive mechanics, but they can be tweaked. MK has its combo breaker system, which can't be overabused because of balancing. SF3 3rd Strike has its parry system, which essentially does away with neutral, but requires great skill and timing to consistently utilise.

I know some people laugh at the idea of Budokai becoming competitive, but the potential is there. Just look at games like Tekken 1 and Street Fighter 1. Neither can be considered even remotely balanced or competitive, but both series evolved to become the foundation of the FGC. There's no way I'm buying that the potential isn't there for Budokai.

Someone else mentioned Burst Limit. Personally I'd rather Infinite World serve as the foundation, as it's a much better game in every area except graphics. I always found Burst Limit a bit stiff, and the ki system was broken to the point were long combos were useless.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:35 pm

Not every character in Budokai 3 is rushdown, although the game does tend to favor those who can.

For example, Piccolo is one of the best characters in the game due his great zoning and footsies game.
90sDBZ wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:09 pm Budokai 3 is still a lot of people's favourite DB game, and it hasn't had a sequel since 2008. A new sequel could get really far on nostalgia alone. Plus there's potential to further refine the combat system. Infinite World already improved on it significantly, and that game only had a small budget.

B3/IW do have an unconventional neutral with the defensive mechanics, but they can be tweaked. MK has its combo breaker system, which can't be overabused because of balancing. SF3 3rd Strike has its parry system, which essentially does away with neutral, but requires great skill and timing to consistently utilise.

I know some people laugh at the idea of Budokai becoming competitive, but the potential is there. Just look at games like Tekken 1 and Street Fighter 1. Neither can be considered even remotely balanced or competitive, but both series evolved to become the foundation of the FGC. There's no way I'm buying that the potential isn't there for Budokai.

Someone else mentioned Burst Limit. Personally I'd rather Infinite World serve as the foundation, as it's a much better game in every area except graphics. I always found Burst Limit a bit stiff, and the ki system was broken to the point were long combos were useless.
Yeah, Budokai 3 is still widely considered one of the DB games ever made and ranks pretty highly as far as anime fighters go.

The Budokai games were steadily improving in terms of fighting mechanics with each iteration. The first two Budokai games were stiff and clunky as fighters but B3 was a huge improvement with backdash, free flight, quick dodges, teleport counters, and more individualized movesets. Shin Budokai and Infinite World expanded on that foundation and almost perfected it.

A Budokai 4 with the same concept as Infinite World (combining the best elements of each game) would definitely set communities on fire.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:47 pm

Well, hopefully there's something this year other than "The Breakers", because frankly that isn't going to cut the mustard. It feels like a super cheap spin-off game. What the hell else is Dimps doing other than periodically releasing a character and some Parallel Quests anyway!? I can't imagine XV2 DLC lasting for much longer, six years of support is unprecedented, it would be like if Budokai 3 had DLC and was still receiving new content as of 2010.

Though I definitely prefer the Tenkaichi/Raging Blast style, that general fighting system is super played out at this point. We've had about 17 (!) years worth of those kind of games with very little deviation in the form of Burst Limit and FighterZ. Having said that, I don't know if there's room for two concurrent 2-D fighter series with a sequel to FighterZ seemingly a given. Hard to say what the next step is, honestly Xenoverse 3 and FighterZ 2 will probably be the next wave considering how well those two series have done.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:46 pm

Thanos wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:47 pm Well, hopefully there's something this year other than "The Breakers", because frankly that isn't going to cut the mustard. It feels like a super cheap spin-off game. What the hell else is Dimps doing other than periodically releasing a character and some Parallel Quests anyway!? I can't imagine XV2 DLC lasting for much longer, six years of support is unprecedented, it would be like if Budokai 3 had DLC and was still receiving new content as of 2010.

Though I definitely prefer the Tenkaichi/Raging Blast style, that general fighting system is super played out at this point. We've had about 17 (!) years worth of those kind of games with very little deviation in the form of Burst Limit and FighterZ. Having said that, I don't know if there's room for two concurrent 2-D fighter series with a sequel to FighterZ seemingly a given. Hard to say what the next step is, honestly Xenoverse 3 and FighterZ 2 will probably be the next wave considering how well those two series have done.
Right?! I appreciate Dimps supporting the game that long but 6 years is a really really long time. I think the 3D arena fighters are starting to get a little stale atp, even Youtubers who are Tenkaichi/Xenoverse fanboys to the max are calling for a different take on current Dragonball games and seeing the producers play Budokai 1-3 made me realize how fun these games can be. The last 2.5D console game we got was Burst Limit in 2008!(If were not counting the HD collection). There might be hope for 2023 and Maybe this is a new Dragonball game that's being developed https://freelance-hub.jp/project/detail/33161/.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:44 am

90sDBZ wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:09 pm Budokai 3 is still a lot of people's favourite DB game, and it hasn't had a sequel since 2008. A new sequel could get really far on nostalgia alone. Plus there's potential to further refine the combat system. Infinite World already improved on it significantly, and that game only had a small budget.

Stuff like being balanced doesn't matter as much as people would like to believe, mechanics have to be good first, balance comes second, if balance was that important, then Marvel 2 would never be popular lol.

There is potential in Budokai, but it is worth pointing out that, with fighters not being able to get away with being not that good as a VS game as they could back in the PS2 era, Budokai would need to step up its mechanics, because it'd definitely sell on brand recognition, but the question is how long it'd keep people playing it online, and again, nowadays it'd compete with Xenoverse and DBFZ, with Xenoverse being an arena fighter that attracts people 'cause of flashiness, and DBFZ keeping people playing despite the infamously crap online, it does sound less likely for Budokai to return, but it's not impossible, just hope that if it does, it gets improved mechanics to keep people playing.
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:35 pm Not every character in Budokai 3 is rushdown, although the game does tend to favor those who can.

For example, Piccolo is one of the best characters in the game due his great zoning and footsies game.
I think Dabura was like that too, and that both him and Piccolo were on the top 4? Makes me wonder which one between 'em had the advantage on the matchup lol.
Thanos wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:47 pm Well, hopefully there's something this year other than "The Breakers", because frankly that isn't going to cut the mustard. It feels like a super cheap spin-off game. What the hell else is Dimps doing other than periodically releasing a character and some Parallel Quests anyway!? I can't imagine XV2 DLC lasting for much longer, six years of support is unprecedented, it would be like if Budokai 3 had DLC and was still receiving new content as of 2010.

At the very least, when compared to DBFZ, a Budokai game would attention by being solo and not team focused, that could be a start in attracting attention, well, besides brand recognition.

I do wonder what they'd do about capsules when playing against other players though, 'cause there are capsule setups that completely castrate some characters in annoying ways, like Yakkon, which makes transformations have lower ki baseline, that basically made a character like Goku useless in Budokai 3 (He'd be fine in IW though lol).

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:27 pm

There is potential in Budokai, but it is worth pointing out that, with fighters not being able to get away with being not that good as a VS game as they could back in the PS2 era, Budokai would need to step up its mechanics, because it'd definitely sell on brand recognition, but the question is how long it'd keep people playing it online, and again, nowadays it'd compete with Xenoverse and DBFZ, with Xenoverse being an arena fighter that attracts people 'cause of flashiness, and DBFZ keeping people playing despite the infamously crap online, it does sound less likely for Budokai to return, but it's not impossible, just hope that if it does, it gets improved mechanics to keep people playing.
I wouldn't say it has to compete with FighterZ or Xenoverse 2 , all it has to do is bring something to the table that neither do. I see a new Budokai series bridging the gap between FighterZ and Xenoverse 2 with a little deeper combat system and 2.5D perspective that the Xenoverse series doesn't provide and a great story mode with accurate cutscenes/RPG elements/capsule system etc. that FighterZ doesn't have. We already have two (maybe three including Breakers) 3D arena fighters/RPG games at the moment, Xenoverse and Kakarot so another stream closer to FighterZ wouldn't hurt plus it would sell very well and you know all Bandai Namco cares about is sales :D .

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:59 pm

budokaifanatic007 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:27 pm I wouldn't say it has to compete with FighterZ or Xenoverse 2 , all it has to do is bring something to the table that neither do. I see a new Budokai series bridging the gap between FighterZ and Xenoverse 2 with a little deeper combat system and 2.5D perspective that the Xenoverse series doesn't provide and a great story mode with accurate cutscenes/RPG elements/capsule system etc. that FighterZ doesn't have. We already have two (maybe three including Breakers) 3D arena fighters/RPG games at the moment, Xenoverse and Kakarot so another stream closer to FighterZ wouldn't hurt plus it would sell very well and you know all Bandai Namco cares about is sales :D .
It could sell, but companies would rather play it safe, DBFZ was likely made 'cause games like Persona 4 Arena and Guilty Gear Xrd brought attention to Arcsys, and they're experienced with making 2D fighters (Even if DBFZ is bland by comparison to their usual stuff), not to mention how MvC games are popular among the casual crowds, so there are reasons that came came to exist even though Arena games were making them money.

If a new Budokai game were to be made, it'd still compete to a certain extent with Xenoverse/DBFZ, because there is naturally a competition between different games that use the same IP, after all, Namco can always think "Is it worth it to make a new Budokai game when Xenoverse and DBFZ already make good money?" there is a reason why for example, Capcom avoids putting out too many Street Fighter games at once, fighting games are very high maintenance, specially with the way they keep getting patched, and having more than one at once just isn't worth it.

Not that it's impossible for Budokai to be made, the same "Why release x game when we can make more of y?" mentality could be used say DBFZ to not be made at all, so Namco isn't going to stay with the game games forever, and IPs coming back isn't unheard of.

DBFZ was released years ago, if a new Budokai game were to be made, now would be a good time, but if a new DBFZ or Xenoverse game is announced, then Budokai will be ignored for a while again, because right now it's definitely on a lower priority when compared to Xenoverse and DBFZ.

One thing that I can say will be a positive, is that if a new Budokai game happens, the way games get patched can help out to fix the gameplay issues, which's a big deal for Budokai, since it has weird mechanics that aren't common in a fighter, so it'd take a while to polish them, well, that's assuming they really care about making it competitive lol.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:13 pm

I don’t see what appeal a new Budokai game could possibly have, outside of nostalgia milking, but even then, that sounds like too much money to pour into something relatively niche. The first Budokai game was reasonably popular for the time, but its sales have been completely eclipsed by Xenoverse 2 and FighterZ. It’s a relic of an era when licensed video games didn’t have anywhere near the kind of expectations they have today.

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:14 am

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:13 pm I don’t see what appeal a new Budokai game could possibly have, outside of nostalgia milking, but even then, that sounds like too much money to pour into something relatively niche. The first Budokai game was reasonably popular for the time, but its sales have been completely eclipsed by Xenoverse 2 and FighterZ. It’s a relic of an era when licensed video games didn’t have anywhere near the kind of expectations they have today.
Budokai 1 is the 4th best selling console DBZ game of all time what are you talking about lol.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:06 am

If there's an HD collection, might as well and go all out and include everything: Budokai, Budokai 2, Budokai 3, Shin Budokai, Shin Budokai 2, Infinite World and Burst Limit. Tired of modern gaming collections having like 2 or 3 games.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:39 am

Yuji wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:06 am If there's an HD collection, might as well and go all out and include everything: Budokai, Budokai 2, Budokai 3, Shin Budokai, Shin Budokai 2, Infinite World and Burst Limit. Tired of modern gaming collections having like 2 or 3 games.
Burst Limit has no relation to the Budokai series though

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:41 am

WittyUsername wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:13 pm I don’t see what appeal a new Budokai game could possibly have, outside of nostalgia milking, but even then, that sounds like too much money to pour into something relatively niche. The first Budokai game was reasonably popular for the time, but its sales have been completely eclipsed by Xenoverse 2 and FighterZ. It’s a relic of an era when licensed video games didn’t have anywhere near the kind of expectations they have today.
Exactly. Budokai was great for it's time, and the art style holds up pretty well but the gameplay feels so incredibly limiting nowadays. After Fighterz it's extremely hard to go back to the ppke combo's of Budokai.