Reworked Dragon Ball BGM Documentation

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BladeXRG

Reworked Dragon Ball BGM Documentation

Post by BladeXRG » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:01 pm

Since Kenisu is still yet to do the final draft of his Dragon Ball BGM documentation, I decided to go ahead and make my own, with everything we know until now and some discoveries I did myself.

His documentation, at least for Dragon Ball, is heavily outdated and has a lot of unrecognized cues, mixed up tracks, and even lacks some tracks. As of now, 99.999% of the score (excluding one single cue from episode 117 and one from Nippon Ijin Taisho 2007) has been identified, making this documentation the better one, and the best way to identify the BGM of the first 153 episodes of Dragon Ball.

The layout is the exact same as Kenisu's, but with the Dragon Ball Ongakushu tracks added. Titles are taken from the Steve Simmons translations + my own corrections. Tracks fan-names are taken from Kenisu in case he found them, Zestanor in case he did, or me in case I did a discovery.

Stuff like the game over source and others are ignored because I didn't consider them actual tracks and instead just sound effects, such as the classic gong or the logos of the Tenkaichi Tournaments.

In case anyone finds that mysterious track from episode 117, let me know as soon as possible to have the definitive documentation complete. Hope this is helpful to anyone who wants to recognize tracks from the anime.
Last edited by BladeXRG on Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

tronk21
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Reworked Dragon Ball BGM Documentation

Post by tronk21 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:31 pm

Very good work! I can recognise some improvements and it shows you were being extremely thorough when correcting the documentation. One can now find any unreleased track easier than before.

Also amazing YouTube channel! I love the fact that Kikuchi's Dragon Ball cues are still being worked on. Please continue!

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:40 pm

That's really a huge improvement, good work, Ora wa waku-waku shite kita-zo!
As for the cue in episode 117...well, I tried evething I could, I listened again to every score that came out before M600, listened carefully to every A-J score cue, even the F ones, and no clue, I couldn't find a track with that same Violin and Drum in the background, just some ones that were slightly similar (ex: Jaws), I've made this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sn9g9l ... p=drivesdk, I included the drums at the end because I'm sure that they aren't from M222, the drums in that track are barely audible and they play in a different pattern, so they probably belong to this unknow track, let's hope someone appears to correct me and show that this is actually a part of a A-J-M500 track.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:24 am

I forgot to point a mistake in your documentation, it's about the way your describe M13 in episodes 11, 14 and 17, no, it's not just a slowed down version of the know released track, but a unreleased alternate, the 0:33-0:34 mark from the regular version and the 0:21-0:22 mark from the "slowed down" version sound different from each other (I could tell the difference in details, but I don't recognize the instruments used, sorry), their endings also sound slightly different
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:01 pm

I couldn't find Kenisu website, but searching lead me to this thread and I can say I'm quite impressed by your work!

I have always been fond of this series soundtrack and a document like that was pure gold for people like me who sometimes found themselves trying to remember a BGM or another piece of music and couldn't find it because they didn't know if it belonged to a movie or if it was unreleased.

Do you have plans to expand it? It would be pretty cool if your documentation also included GT, Kai (before and after the plagiarism scandal), Kai 2.0, BoG, RoF, Super and its movies.

Also I really appreciate notes like "This is the first episode to use soundtrack from Movie X", thanks for that!
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Yellow Dragon

Post by Yellow Dragon » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:42 pm

Kenisu's site

https://kenisu3000.blogspot.com/2020/12 ... n.html?m=1

Blade's tables for DB Kai 2

https://bladexrg.blogspot.com/2021/04/

And I hope Kanzenshuu doesn't take too long to open the wiki.

BladeXRG

Post by BladeXRG » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:51 am

Noah wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:01 pm I couldn't find Kenisu website, but searching lead me to this thread and I can say I'm quite impressed by your work!

I have always been fond of this series soundtrack and a document like that was pure gold for people like me who sometimes found themselves trying to remember a BGM or another piece of music and couldn't find it because they didn't know if it belonged to a movie or if it was unreleased.

Do you have plans to expand it? It would be pretty cool if your documentation also included GT, Kai (before and after the plagiarism scandal), Kai 2.0, BoG, RoF, Super and its movies.

Also I really appreciate notes like "This is the first episode to use soundtrack from Movie X", thanks for that!
Kai 2.0 is, in fact, uploaded already, and Kai 1.0 is currently 23/98 episodes done. I've already added episodes 96-98 to it since they're Kikuchi and not Yamamoto.

I do understand why you're asking since I did this post when I finished the DB documentation, then did a post about the whole website which links to the other charts.

As for BoG and RoF, I do plan on going through them as soon as I redo the remaining Z movie charts. Then probably Super and its movies once I finish all the Z movies, including BoG and RoF.

I don't have many plans for GT since there hasn't been much progress with the score, and unlike Kai 1.0 the score for GT is unreleased which would only make it even harder for me to make progress. If I were to do it, it'd be after Super. I'd rather do Heroes than GT.