Has your opinion about Ultra Ego changed since its introduction?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Has your opinion about Ultra Ego changed since its introduction?

Post by Marz » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:01 pm

It might just be my impression, but I feel like the opinion about the transformation was a lot more divisive when it was introduced, and now some of the people who didn't like it either started to like it or are just fine with it. The lack of eyebrows aspect that was a major criticism at the time doesn't seem to be that big of a deal now, perhaps because it serves a purpose from an aesthetic standpoint and isn't just a random change in design. I think it helps that in theory, it's a form that has a purpose and a build up, to a certain extent. It's a philosophy rather than just another generic power up

Lukmendes
Regular

Re: Has your opinion about Ultra Ego changed since its introduction?

Post by Lukmendes » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:07 pm

The form functions like another transformation, so I still see it as just Super Saiyan Blanco.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:00 pm

It's still ugly, no matter the color of the hair. And it's another transformation, just like Ultra Instinct (it was once a technique in a galaxy far far away...), so nothing new. It was introduced and then managed to do nothing. It's a waste of time, like Vegeta's training on Yardrat.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:45 pm

It was really well utilised in the chapters it appeared it. Vegeta might have gotten his best character moments in all of Super honestly during that fight.

It's ugly as hell though, and I'm kinda hoping Vegeta decides that it doesn't suit him either considering he doesn't want to return to being callous and unfeeling in order to utilise it fully.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:31 pm

I wish it wasn’t purple, and it is indeed really well utilized in its chapters, which I agree are Vegeta’s best in Super.

My opinion hasn’t changed except for having to add that first bit.
Trouser wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:00 pmIt was introduced and then managed to do nothing. It's a waste of time, like Vegeta's training on Yardrat.
Just like Super Saiyan 3, God, Blue (and Evolved) too then, right?

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:36 pm

Eh. I still think it looks like a fan transformation. Why can Vegeta just feel invigorated from the love of battle in his regular form?

I don't really like Ultra Instinct either. The filters on it mess with my motion sickness/vertigo. Again, why can't Goku use it in his regular form?

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:43 am

Always a joke

SSJ3 Goku & Gotenks looked cool without brow & even looked intimidatin @ times. UE Vegeta looked...he doesnt even look like Vegeta...weird..and dont buy the concept of ego, wrath, pride, envy, gluttony all that crap like FMAB homunculus haha

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:38 am

Jack Bz wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:45 pm It's ugly as hell though, and I'm kinda hoping Vegeta decides that it doesn't suit him either considering he doesn't want to return to being callous and unfeeling in order to utilise it fully.
I don't dispute that the form is visually unsightly, but I don't really hold it against it precisely because that's the point (according to Toyotaro himself). Gods of Destruction are these ominous beings and this is a transformation that is supposed to evoke that feeling and presence, with visual indicators of it (with Beerus being the main reference).

With that in mind I think the visuals captured exactly what was needed. And I feel like it would be a waste to come up with this whole concept (specifically to oppose Ultra Instinct) and just ignore it right after its introduction. I think a possible twist in Vegeta's lack of ability to master this power could be precisely that he doesn't necessarily need to be callous and unfeeling to use this strength to its fullest potential, he kind of misunderstood Beerus' speech and he needs to recreate himself from the scratch and learn his own way of wielding this form
Cipher wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:31 pm Just like Super Saiyan 3, God, Blue (and Evolved) too then, right?
I can already imagine what people would also say about Ultra Instinct during its debut if there was no on going anime at the time and the manga was the only media

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:04 pm

No. It doesn't have eyebrows so it's ugly by default. I've always found it ugly and my opinion will never change, because I think that people without eyebrows are ugly.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:40 pm

I'm torn on it. If Vegeta's development makes a lasting mark on the series, I'll probably like it. If not, then I'm a bit annoyed and wish they'd stop developing to just reset
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:45 pm

Marz wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:38 am I don't dispute that the form is visually unsightly, but I don't really hold it against it precisely because that's the point (according to Toyotaro himself). Gods of Destruction are these ominous beings and this is a transformation that is supposed to evoke that feeling and presence, with visual indicators of it (with Beerus being the main reference).

With that in mind I think the visuals captured exactly what was needed. And I feel like it would be a waste to come up with this whole concept (specifically to oppose Ultra Instinct) and just ignore it right after its introduction. I think a possible twist in Vegeta's lack of ability to master this power could be precisely that he doesn't necessarily need to be callous and unfeeling to use this strength to its fullest potential, he kind of misunderstood Beerus' speech and he needs to recreate himself from the scratch and learn his own way of wielding this form
Thing is that we already had a transformation that was meant to be the aesthetic mirror to Beerus with super saiyan God, and I thought personally that it did a much better job in that regard.

Ultra Ego seems more like an unhinged monster, which again works with the arc and Vegeta trying and failing to be callous and unfeeling to use it. I know it's intentional to be an unsightly form, Goku does call it "freaky face mode" afterall - That works well aesthetically with having to be pretty monstrous to use it but doesn't sit right with me as being Vegeta's main form from here on out. But obviously I'm willing to see what Toyo does with it from here. That said, I wouldn't see it as wasted move to have a form introduced that inherently has drawbacks (like the ssj grade forms).

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:54 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:45 pm Ultra Ego seems more like an unhinged monster, which again works with the arc and Vegeta trying and failing to be callous and unfeeling to use it. I know it's intentional to be an unsightly form, Goku does call it "freaky face mode" afterall - That works well aesthetically with having to be pretty monstrous to use it but doesn't sit right with me as being Vegeta's main form from here on out. But obviously I'm willing to see what Toyo does with it from here. That said, I wouldn't see it as wasted move to have a form introduced that inherently has drawbacks (like the ssj grade forms).
I disagree with your view but I respect it, I think you explained it pretty well.

On a last note, I think I just don't want to see a new development for Vegeta for the 3rd time. I disagree with the user saying that the Yardrat training was a waste (because it worked well with his character developement in the Moro arc and I think it actually fulfilled its goal), but it was still a one off thing. Vegeta's character was so good in the current arc that I would like to see this development carried forward, especially since the arc ended with Vegeta stating that he was still a novice in using this power and unable to use it to his fullest potential. I think there are interesting ways in which Toyo can continue this even if initially it looks like it doesn't fit with Vegeta's current mindset. I think we're seeing the same thing happen with Ultra Instinct because most of us thought the silver haired transformation was Goku's peak but Toyo created more room for his growth

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:50 pm

Marz wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:54 pmOn a last note, I think I just don't want to see a new development for Vegeta for the 3rd time. I disagree with the user saying that the Yardrat training was a waste (because it worked well with his character developement in the Moro arc and I think it actually fulfilled its goal), but it was still a one off thing. Vegeta's character was so good in the current arc that I would like to see this development carried forward, especially since the arc ended with Vegeta stating that he was still a novice in using this power and unable to use it to his fullest potential. I think there are interesting ways in which Toyo can continue this even if initially it looks like it doesn't fit with Vegeta's current mindset. I think we're seeing the same thing happen with Ultra Instinct because most of us thought the silver haired transformation was Goku's peak but Toyo created more room for his growth
Well, that's the big potential plus the arc currently seems to be holding out for Vegeta's development, isn't it? If Goku's Ultra Instinct is going to develop by him being able to determine who he truly is now and use it in alignment with that to develop a unique and more effective 'style' of Ultra Instinct, then the same must be true for Vegeta and Ultra Ego. Instead of trying to copy Beerus (and his past self), his way forward is by being more in tune with himself as he is now - which, in turn, would be a development along the same lines as he demonstrated in the Moro arc. So, maybe not so 'one-off' a development as it might seem?

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:31 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:50 pm
Well, that's the big potential plus the arc currently seems to be holding out for Vegeta's development, isn't it? If Goku's Ultra Instinct is going to develop by him being able to determine who he truly is now and use it in alignment with that to develop a unique and more effective 'style' of Ultra Instinct, then the same must be true for Vegeta and Ultra Ego. Instead of trying to copy Beerus (and his past self), his way forward is by being more in tune with himself as he is now - which, in turn, would be a development along the same lines as he demonstrated in the Moro arc. So, maybe not so 'one-off' a development as it might seem?
It seems like a great idea, I hope that's the direction Toyo is going for with him in the future. Even tho it wasn't explicity stated that Vegeta misunderstood Beerus' teaches, there's enough implication in this arc to say so (and to use as a development later). Vegeta was trying to mimic his old self and embody the spirit of a destroyer, but that was the opposite of what Beerus told him to do (recreate himself from scratch, let go of the past, destroy stray thoughts). Vegeta still can't do it despite his growth during the Moro arc, so there's room for more here.

On a side note, I mentioned "one off thing" regarding the Yardrat stuff in the sense that the training itself wasn't carried forward, but in the current arc things Vegeta learned from Pybara were still mentioned (such as Spirit Fission and his enhanced sensing ability), so none of them were really one off things. Anyway, I would like the training with Beerus in the Granolah arc to be actually carried forward this time

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:27 pm

I guess I'm mostly alone in the I LIKE UE camp.

I don't think it looks awful, I mean Vegeta is already a short, kinda balding, troll-looking fella, with no fashion sense whatsoever, so whatever he tries can only improve his looks. Even if it makes him look like a vampire.

I like how he got there, I like what he did with it, and I liked the downsize of the technique/form: requiring him to be as callous and focused as he used to be, and also liked how he chose to rile up his boundless instincts by getting hit in the face. Being stubborn as usual, at least he accomplished to keep that trait from his past self.
I hope this is followed up, and not tossed aside like many people think it will.

I do not like the purple hair, though. I wanted it to be just dark hair with some fire around it, and yellow eyes. Who knows, maybe the form can change as he masters it.
I also liked the prominent cheekbones, but that was only there when the form was introduced.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:11 pm

I thought it looked a bit weird at first, but I guess I got used to it. A bit of a marmite design, in my view.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:25 pm

At first I didn't like the design, but over time I got used to it. The color was not what I imagined but it turned out cool at least. I feel that if some people haven't gotten used to the design of the form (and maybe they never will, because it's in fact visually more bestial and unsightly so it's not for everyone), at least the concept and existence of the technique seems to have grown in people (with the whole duality with Ultra Instinct and how Vegeta is following his own path).

I ended up liking the design and how it personified the GoDs, but even if that wasn't the case I wouldn't mind it because I just really like the concept. It doesn't have Ultra Instinct levels of build up or presentation, but it's a decent payoff for what we saw at the beginning of the arc, and it's a great continuation to the particular arc Vegeta started in the ToP. And the writing and art in the related chapters were so good that I just ended up really liking the form

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:39 am

The hair being fuller suits Vegeta's widow's peak without making it longer like Gotenks's SS3 (whose forehead is not the same) when the lack of eyebrows is not surprising. What I do wish is that his hair was more violet than purple, the color that recedes into nothing in the blue end of the spectrum, without a hint of red to make it darker magenta.

Also, is anyone reminded of this Sonic transformation in some game, which I totally recommend not playing?

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:15 am

Marz wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:01 pm It might just be my impression, but I feel like the opinion about the transformation was a lot more divisive when it was introduced, and now some of the people who didn't like it either started to like it or are just fine with it. The lack of eyebrows aspect that was a major criticism at the time doesn't seem to be that big of a deal now, perhaps because it serves a purpose from an aesthetic standpoint and isn't just a random change in design. I think it helps that in theory, it's a form that has a purpose and a build up, to a certain extent. It's a philosophy rather than just another generic power up
Gross, ugly, untoriyama like, boring.

Honest to god think at this point Toriyama doing the story would be so much better.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:11 pm

Aim wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:15 am think at this point Toriyama doing the story would be so much better.

I had actually thought Ultra ego was inspired from way back when Toriyama gave Vegeta this weird looking stance out of the blue.

ImageImage

Which I remember thinking how ugly and not prince-like it was, just like ultra ego now.