Reason(s) for Kikuchi's Movie scores debuting so late in the TV series?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Reason(s) for Kikuchi's Movie scores debuting so late in the TV series?

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:10 am

Hello Everybody! how's going? One of the several questions I have about the Kikuchi score, is why his movie scores always take too much time to debut in the TV Series? They never debuted in the episode that came out in the week posterior to the release of the Movie, it always took a specific number of episodes for the score to start to be used, as you can see here

Dragon Ball Movie 1 came out on December 20, 1986, the first episode to use it's score was episode 53, took 10 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Dragon Ball Movie 2 came out on July 18, 1987, the first episode to use it's score was episode 81, took 11 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Dragon Ball Movie 3 came out on July 9, 1988, the first episode to use it's score was episode 133, took 15 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Z Movie 1 came out on July 15, 1989, the first episode to use it's score was episode 21, took 10 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Z Movie 2 came out on March 10, 1990, the first episode to use it's score was episode 47, took 8 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Z Movie 3 came out on July 7, 1990, the Bardock Special, which came out on October 17, 1990, used it's score first, but the first episode to use it's score was episode 66, took 12 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Z Movie 4 came out on March 9, 1991, the first episode to use it's score was episode 97, took 17 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Z Movie 5 came out on July 20, 1991, the first episode to use it's score was episode 114, took 15 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Z Movie 6 came out on March 7, 1992, the first episode to use it's score was episode 141, took 11 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Z Movie 7 came out on July 11, 1992, the first episode to use it's score was episode 161, took 14 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Z Movie 8 came out on March 6, 1993, the first episode to use it's score was episode 191, took 15 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Z Movie 9 came out on July 10, 1993, the first episode to use it's score was episode 200, took 8 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Z Movie 10 came out on March 12, 1994, the first episode to use it's score was episode 234, took 14 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Z Movie 11 came out on July 9, 1994, the first episode to use it's score was episode 246, took 14 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Z Movie 12 came out on March 4, 1995, the first episode to use it's score was episode 273, took 15 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release.

Z Movie 13 came out on July 15, 1995, the first episode to use it's score was episode 290, took 20 episodes for the score's debut after the film's release (well, 19 actually, if you count the use of a instrumental of Ore Ga Yaranakya Dare Ga Yaru in Ep 289)

Why does that happen? Is there a official information explaining this? Anyone know something? Shouldn't they be able to use the score starting from the episode that releases right after the movie's release?

Well, My bet is…Pre-production, these episodes were made during the same time during the movies' production, they were probably even finished before the movies, then, if these episodes were finished, but the movies not, then how would they use their scores in these episodes? Exactly, they would be able to use the scores just in the episodes that entered in production after the movies were done! Or after their releases, these episodes definitely aren't finished after the conclusion of the movies' production.

A good example, Episode 191 is the first one to use music from Movie 8, ep 191 adapts Chapter 416 from the manga, this chapter came out in March 30, 1993, just 3 weeks after the Movie's release! Making episode 191 a episode that entered in production much after the Movie's release since there was no manga material yet to animate during the Movie's production, making able to use Movie 8 music starting from that episode, that's what I think, let me see what you guys think, I always dream with a a what if scenario, with the Movie 8 music being used since episode 177, which was the episode that was released right after the Movie 8's release.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Reason(s) for Kikuchi's Movie scores debuting so late in the TV series?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:00 am

Consider that episodes could have been and regularly were in production up to something like two months ahead of their air date, that's already a built-in number of episodes before movie music "could be used".

Also consider you have to pass all of it on to the person in charge of music placement, who needs to familiarize themself/ves with it in context for the upcoming episodes, while still using the existing base and noting any specific trends and standards they've already given prior pieces...

And I'm really struggling to see how something like, say, 10 episodes after a film's debut is somehow strange or unusual or unexpected. That's actually way sooner than I would have thought off-hand! Really seems like a non-issue / non-story to me here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Reason(s) for Kikuchi's Movie scores debuting so late in the TV series?

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:00 am Consider that episodes could have been and regularly were in production up to something like two months ahead of their air date, that's already a built-in number of episodes before movie music "could be used".

Also consider you have to pass all of it on to the person in charge of music placement, who needs to familiarize themself/ves with it in context for the upcoming episodes, while still using the existing base and noting any specific trends and standards they've already given prior pieces...

And I'm really struggling to see how something like, say, 10 episodes after a film's debut is somehow strange or unusual or unexpected. That's actually way sooner than I would have thought off-hand! Really seems like a non-issue / non-story to me here.
As I thought, thanks, well I didn't said that it's a issue these scores debuting in the TV Series so "late", this is just something that really made me so damn curious in the last 2 years, now that you've mentioned the person in charge of the music placement, is there any information about it/them? Is it/Are they different from the one(s) in charge of the MP in the TV Series? M1207 in Movie 9 tells me "no", but that is just guesswork
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.