Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by YMK_8000 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:02 am

KingSailem wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:27 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:50 am As of 6/10/2022, Dragon Ball Super has generated $89.5 million in box office revenue. $71 million internationally and $18.5 million in Japan.

It really can't be understated how much the international audience dragged this movie from the gutter with how much it underperformed in Japan compared to the previous movies.

Gohan is not very popular in Japan neither is Piccolo. They are secondary characters compared to Goku and Vegeta thats why the movie didn’t perform as well. I mean it’s simple. Your literally missing 2 main characters lol
There are many reasons why this film is largely considered and abject failure especially by the modern anime community at large.
in order of severity:

1:CGI
2.premise/writing
3.Characters used

& your wrong Gohan and Piccolo are popular its just the franchise as a whole has completely lost the younger generation in Japan. None of the kids care for it at all plus not having an anime airing on tv doesn't help.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:19 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:02 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:50 am As of 6/10/2022, Dragon Ball Super has generated $89.5 million in box office revenue. $71 million internationally and $18.5 million in Japan.

It really can't be understated how much the international audience dragged this movie from the gutter with how much it underperformed in Japan compared to the previous movies.

Gohan is not very popular in Japan neither is Piccolo. They are secondary characters compared to Goku and Vegeta thats why the movie didn’t perform as well. I mean it’s simple. Your literally missing 2 main characters lol
There are many reasons why this film is largely considered and abject failure especially by the modern anime community at large.
in order of severity:

1:CGI
2.premise/writing
3.Characters used

& your wrong Gohan and Piccolo are popular its just the franchise as a whole has completely lost the younger generation in Japan. None of the kids care for it at all plus not having an anime airing on tv doesn't help.

This is absolutely nonsense, how can a movie that his surpassed everyother DB movie except DBS Broly be a consider a failure. DBSSH his higher critical and fan response. It didn’t have the luxury of hardly any major holidays to help boost its numbers like all the other previous movies did. It’s missing two of the most iconic characters as well as fan favorite Broly. The demographics of the film which are public record support the fact that DBSSH appealed to younger kids and families. If you need a copy I can provide it. But bottom line bad movies don’t continue to make money after it’s release, 90 + million = failure lol ok

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:37 am

Yeah I still do not understand people's insistence that this movie was a "failure." Particularly when, on this site alone, people are largely positive on it. And a quick cursory glance on wikipedia reveals that this movie made fucking bank and was highly received.

While it didn't make as much as Broly, it's still the second highest grossing film in the DB franchise, and was the 4th highest selling anime in Japan alone. Not to mention how much bank it made overseas. That is not a failure.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:55 am

KingSailem wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:19 am

This is absolutely nonsense, how can a movie that his surpassed everyother DB movie except DBS Broly be a consider a failure. DBSSH his higher critical and fan response. It didn’t have the luxury of hardly any major holidays to help boost its numbers like all the other previous movies did. It’s missing two of the most iconic characters as well as fan favorite Broly. The demographics of the film which are public record support the fact that DBSSH appealed to younger kids and families. If you need a copy I can provide it. But bottom line bad movies don’t continue to make money after it’s release, 90 + million = failure lol ok
I'd love to see those demographic breakdowns if you have them i know in North America it was 18-35 crowd that made 75% of the audience

Anime movie culture has changed since 2020 if your not doing close to Demon slayer Mugen train numbers than its considered a failure in the wider anime community especially for the big name IPs its harsh but it is what it is. In which SH made most of the money outside of japan which means less money for Toei due to the international theater takes its cut,funimation/crunchyroll takes its cut and so on & so forth.

Like i said the CGI which really wasnt anything to write home about. Plus the writing/premise killed this movie & we have to stop this excuse about how the main guys werent around thats why it failed. No, Goku, Vegeta, Broly they were all there in this movie. Cant blame the animators either Shintani was there as well as Takahashi, Kubota,etc yet it still bombed cause i doubt the budget was anything less than 30 million.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:39 am

KingSailem wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:19 am It’s missing two of the most iconic characters as well as fan favorite Broly.
Truth be told, Broly WAS in this movie. The trailers and scans even advertised him fighting, which was a surprise the scene didn't make it to the final product. But they used him as marketing bait, nonetheless.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:58 am

kemuri07 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:37 amWhile it didn't make as much as Broly, it's still the second highest grossing film in the DB franchise, and was the 4th highest selling anime in Japan alone. Not to mention how much bank it made overseas. That is not a failure.
Not only that, but Super Hero has surpassed Broly's US total and beat Pokemon the First Movie's opening weekend, going straight to number 1. That's one hell of an achievement for an anime movie, because Pokemon was by every metric mainstream back in 1999. In no way, shape or form can this movies performance be considered a failure.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:22 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:58 am
kemuri07 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:37 amWhile it didn't make as much as Broly, it's still the second highest grossing film in the DB franchise, and was the 4th highest selling anime in Japan alone. Not to mention how much bank it made overseas. That is not a failure.
Not only that, but Super Hero has surpassed Broly's US total and beat Pokemon the First Movie's opening weekend, going straight to number 1. That's one hell of an achievement for an anime movie, because Pokemon was by every metric mainstream back in 1999. In no way, shape or form can this movies performance be considered a failure.
But we are comparing it to past movies when it needs to be movies released in this era.In which it hasnt done anything special at all. Plus what was the competition at the box office Beast? a movie poorly marketed such as SH. At least Broly contended with Aquaman last time.
Last edited by YMK_8000 on Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:22 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:55 am

I'd love to see those demographic breakdowns if you have them i know in North America it was 18-35 crowd that made 75% of the audience

Anime movie culture has changed since 2020 if your not doing close to Demon slayer Mugen train numbers than its considered a failure in the wider anime community especially for the big name IPs its harsh but it is what it is. In which SH made most of the money outside of japan which means less money for Toei due to the international theater takes its cut,funimation/crunchyroll takes its cut and so on & so forth.

Like i said the CGI which really wasnt anything to write home about. Plus the writing/premise killed this movie & we have to stop this excuse about how the main guys werent around thats why it failed. No, Goku, Vegeta, Broly they were all there in this movie. Cant blame the animators either Shintani was there as well as Takahashi, Kubota,etc yet it still bombed cause i doubt the budget was anything less than 30 million.
So by your logic a movie has to do Demon Slayer numbers “506 million dollars” to be considered a success? You’re truly misguided in your assessment of the movie industry and anime community if thats your belief. Honestly you just coming off as someone that has nothing factual to say. You even prove my point in your reply saying no Goku, Vegeta nor Broly is why the movie fails, I literally said that the absence of those three and focusing on secondary characters is why the numbers were lower. Yes the movie was CGI, yes it wasn’t promoted well that’s been said, yet the numbers are still increasing, still making money. Just doesn’t make sense that if something is failing or so bad why do people keep going to see it.
Last edited by KingSailem on Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:32 pm

KingSailem wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:22 pm

So by your logic a movie has to do Demon Slayer numbers “506 million dollars” to be considered a success? You’re truly misguided in your assessment of the movie industry and anime community if thats your belief. Honestly you just coming off as someone that has nothing factual to say. You even prove my point in your reply saying no Goku, Vegeta nor Broly is why the movie fails, I literally said that the absence of those three and focusing on secondary characters is why the numbers were lower.
sorry typing error i meant Goku, Vegeta, Broly they were all there in this movie and it still failed so called "cameos" count. Go on any large general anime forum/subreddit/etc and you will see that Mugen train is the new standard not exactly 506 million but you at least now have to be in the 190+ million ballpark range these days.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:43 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:32 pm

So by your logic a movie has to do Demon Slayer numbers “506 million dollars” to be considered a success? You’re truly misguided in your assessment of the movie industry and anime community if thats your belief. Honestly you just coming off as someone that has nothing factual to say. You even prove my point in your reply saying no Goku, Vegeta nor Broly is why the movie fails, I literally said that the absence of those three and focusing on secondary characters is why the numbers were lower.
sorry typing error i meant Goku, Vegeta, Broly they were all there in this movie and it still failed so called "cameos" count. Go on any large general anime forum/subreddit/etc and you will see that Mugen train is the new standard not exactly 506 million but you at least now have to be in the 190+ million ballpark range these days.
So is One piece film Red a failure, it’s only at 129 million, so all of a sudden 190 + million is the new standard lol, nice number you just conveniently pulled out the air right, just stop it. it’s ok if you like Jutsu Kaisen more it’s still no excuse to come on here saying the entire anime community says DBSSH is a failure blah blah blah because of some subreddit, they don’t speak for the DB community.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:06 pm

KingSailem wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:43 pm

So is One piece film Red a failure, it’s only at 129 million, so all of a sudden 190 + million is the new standard lol, nice number you just conveniently pulled out the air right, just stop it. it’s ok if you like Jutsu Kaisen more it’s still no excuse to come on here saying the entire anime community says DBSSH is a failure blah blah blah because of some subreddit, they don’t speak for the DB community.
never watched jjk dont care for it and film red has yet to release in the states & other countries its estimated it will reach 200+ million there is evidence to back it up. You dont believe me go on those forums/subreddits and see the what the general reception from the anime community to this movie.

KingSailem

Post by KingSailem » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:28 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:06 pm
KingSailem wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:43 pm
never watched jjk dont care for it and film red has yet to release in the states & other countries its estimated it will reach 200+ million there is evidence to back it up. You dont believe me go on those forums/subreddits and see the what the general reception from the anime community to this movie.
Lol What with you and these forms, subreddits etc etc your more than entitled to you opinion and I’ll have mines ok, if you think that DBSSH is a failure then we can agree to disagree

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:02 pm

The movie was highly profitable. The budget of this movie was probably less than 20 million. It is going to make 100 in a matter of weeks, its in the upper 90s now. Plus it was awesome. Anime series movies are pretty much flop proof because they are always made on a budget. Red looks cool too but I am curious if it matches Super Hero in the USA. I really think Red should have come out a few weeks ago here when nothing was in theatres.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:37 pm

YMK. You've essentially moved the goal post to the point that the only way that Super Heroes could not be considered a failure is if it made "all of the money," which is not how the film industry works at all. Toei hires smart people to inform how any property is likely to do based on market trends. And while there's no 100% way to predict how a movie will do, they can have a good idea of what they can expect their bottom line to be. Remember: Super Hero was always intended to be the "B" movie to Broly's "A" movie, and the CG was a way to allow the artists to breathe after what was certainly an intense production period for Broly. Toei more than likely already knew before Super Hero's release date how much money the movie would likely make, and it doesn't make any sense for them to pour the same amount of money into marketing that they did for Broly into a movie that is a light hearted comedy that does not feature Goku or Vegeta.

Different expectations are made for different types of movies.

Also, my guy--anime forums do not represent the majority of anime watchers.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:34 am

Does anyone know how the movie is performing in France? They’ve had to wait a while to get the film.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:30 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:34 am Does anyone know how the movie is performing in France? They’ve had to wait a while to get the film.
Cannot read French. But for the first day, it seems not very good comparing with Broly
https://dragonballsuper-france.fr/drago ... ce-france/

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:26 am

I now know Dragon Ball has more Dragon Ball fans than it has anime fans, which is what makes it so massive.

Everyone I saw this movie with, only watched Dragon Ball and did not care for the genre in general, at all. They just liked Dragon Ball. I went to see this movie 3 times with 11 different people and if you include me, 3 out of the 11 watched anime/manga outside of Dragon Ball.

This is why I think anime fans online have a hard time accepting how well this movie did outside of Japan. This just further proves Dragon Ball is legitimately on a different level compared to 99% of its peers. It's in that Marvel/Pokemon territory where you genuinely can't nail down what it originally was because it's so massive it makes money doing any and everything. Hell, Dokkan Battle alone routinely trends on Twitter and that's a mobile game. There's a significant number of people who literally only engage with Dokkan Battle and nothing else. Let alone something else anime/manga related. They give money to the franchise and have no idea it's a manga. I have friends and family who enjoy Dragon Ball, but have no idea it has films.

This is why I think it's a bad idea to continuously compare Dragon Ball to other anime/manga. Dragon Ball is just operating on a different level with different intent. I still believe this movie was primarily made as a test for something else they're going to try, later.

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:58 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:26 am I now know Dragon Ball has more Dragon Ball fans than it has anime fans, which is what makes it so massive.

Everyone I saw this movie with, only watched Dragon Ball and did not care for the genre in general, at all. They just liked Dragon Ball. I went to see this movie 3 times with 11 different people and if you include me, 3 out of the 11 watched anime/manga outside of Dragon Ball.

This is why I think anime fans online have a hard time accepting how well this movie did outside of Japan. This just further proves Dragon Ball is legitimately on a different level compared to 99% of its peers. It's in that Marvel/Pokemon territory where you genuinely can't nail down what it originally was because it's so massive it makes money doing any and everything. Hell, Dokkan Battle alone routinely trends on Twitter and that's a mobile game. There's a significant number of people who literally only engage with Dokkan Battle and nothing else. Let alone something else anime/manga related. They give money to the franchise and have no idea it's a manga. I have friends and family who enjoy Dragon Ball, but have no idea it has films.

This is why I think it's a bad idea to continuously compare Dragon Ball to other anime/manga. Dragon Ball is just operating on a different level with different intent. I still believe this movie was primarily made as a test for something else they're going to try, later.
True, I think there are not many anime like Dragon Ball that is famous worldwide for non anime fans

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:24 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:02 pm The movie was highly profitable. The budget of this movie was probably less than 20 million. It is going to make 100 in a matter of weeks, its in the upper 90s now. Plus it was awesome. Anime series movies are pretty much flop proof because they are always made on a budget. Red looks cool too but I am curious if it matches Super Hero in the USA. I really think Red should have come out a few weeks ago here when nothing was in theatres.

Where is the updated numbers I only see it in the very low 90s ?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:11 am

sigmasigma wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:30 am
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:34 am Does anyone know how the movie is performing in France? They’ve had to wait a while to get the film.
Cannot read French. But for the first day, it seems not very good comparing with Broly
https://dragonballsuper-france.fr/drago ... ce-france/
Bad. Broly did over twice as much. One piece Red as well. Both had ads, though. DB Super Hero had none.