Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by MuscleRobo » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:02 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:11 am
sigmasigma wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:30 am
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:34 am Does anyone know how the movie is performing in France? They’ve had to wait a while to get the film.
Cannot read French. But for the first day, it seems not very good comparing with Broly
https://dragonballsuper-france.fr/drago ... ce-france/
Bad. Broly did over twice as much. One piece Red as well. Both had ads, though. DB Super Hero had none.
Wasn't One Piece the one hat had a viral video of fans practically rioting in the theater?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:22 am

MuscleRobo wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:02 am
sangofe wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:11 am
sigmasigma wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:30 am
Cannot read French. But for the first day, it seems not very good comparing with Broly
https://dragonballsuper-france.fr/drago ... ce-france/
Bad. Broly did over twice as much. One piece Red as well. Both had ads, though. DB Super Hero had none.
Wasn't One Piece the one hat had a viral video of fans practically rioting in the theater?
I don't know but fans of Jujutsu Kaisen went nuts.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:41 pm

sigmasigma wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:58 pm
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:26 am I now know Dragon Ball has more Dragon Ball fans than it has anime fans, which is what makes it so massive.

Everyone I saw this movie with, only watched Dragon Ball and did not care for the genre in general, at all. They just liked Dragon Ball. I went to see this movie 3 times with 11 different people and if you include me, 3 out of the 11 watched anime/manga outside of Dragon Ball.

This is why I think anime fans online have a hard time accepting how well this movie did outside of Japan. This just further proves Dragon Ball is legitimately on a different level compared to 99% of its peers. It's in that Marvel/Pokemon territory where you genuinely can't nail down what it originally was because it's so massive it makes money doing any and everything. Hell, Dokkan Battle alone routinely trends on Twitter and that's a mobile game. There's a significant number of people who literally only engage with Dokkan Battle and nothing else. Let alone something else anime/manga related. They give money to the franchise and have no idea it's a manga. I have friends and family who enjoy Dragon Ball, but have no idea it has films.

This is why I think it's a bad idea to continuously compare Dragon Ball to other anime/manga. Dragon Ball is just operating on a different level with different intent. I still believe this movie was primarily made as a test for something else they're going to try, later.
True, I think there are not many anime like Dragon Ball that is famous worldwide for non anime fans

Indeed. I don't think Dragon Ball is close to Pokemon, but it's literally the only other JP franchise I can think of that makes significant profits from print, video games, film, merch, and etc at the same time on a global scale.

Most other franchises have to put their all in one or 2 mediums to excel. Meanwhile Dragon Ball has probably made more money from the XenoVerse games alone than most anime franchises as a whole. Of course, this definitely has its obvious downsides. They don't have to try as hard to make money, so they likely won't. And it gives them too much freedom to take unnecessary risks. Risks like barely advertising Superhero on top of making it 3D. The 3D worked out, but still...

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:46 am

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:41 pm
ClutchBangstrip wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:26 am I now know Dragon Ball has more Dragon Ball fans than it has anime fans, which is what makes it so massive.

Everyone I saw this movie with, only watched Dragon Ball and did not care for the genre in general, at all. They just liked Dragon Ball. I went to see this movie 3 times with 11 different people and if you include me, 3 out of the 11 watched anime/manga outside of Dragon Ball.

This is why I think anime fans online have a hard time accepting how well this movie did outside of Japan. This just further proves Dragon Ball is legitimately on a different level compared to 99% of its peers. It's in that Marvel/Pokemon territory where you genuinely can't nail down what it originally was because it's so massive it makes money doing any and everything. Hell, Dokkan Battle alone routinely trends on Twitter and that's a mobile game. There's a significant number of people who literally only engage with Dokkan Battle and nothing else. Let alone something else anime/manga related. They give money to the franchise and have no idea it's a manga. I have friends and family who enjoy Dragon Ball, but have no idea it has films.

This is why I think it's a bad idea to continuously compare Dragon Ball to other anime/manga. Dragon Ball is just operating on a different level with different intent. I still believe this movie was primarily made as a test for something else they're going to try, later.
True, I think there are not many anime like Dragon Ball that is famous worldwide for non anime fans

Indeed. I don't think Dragon Ball is close to Pokemon, but it's literally the only other JP franchise I can think of that makes significant profits from print, video games, film, merch, and etc at the same time on a global scale.

Most other franchises have to put their all in one or 2 mediums to excel. Meanwhile Dragon Ball has probably made more money from the XenoVerse games alone than most anime franchises as a whole. Of course, this definitely has its obvious downsides. They don't have to try as hard to make money, so they likely won't. And it gives them too much freedom to take unnecessary risks. Risks like barely advertising Superhero on top of making it 3D. The 3D worked out, but still...

Stop it every other major WSJ series does the bolded.This that isn’t something special to Dragonball. MHA does it, Demon Slayer does it. Etc

DB is coasting on nostalgia and Dokkan only. (& when Dokkan shuts down the revival is officially over) the Xenoverse games are a drop in the bucket & don’t sell much to have an effect . Toy sales have been either stagnant or declining YoY

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:06 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:46 am

Stop it every other major WSJ series does the bolded.This that isn’t something special to Dragonball. MHA does it, Demon Slayer does it. Etc

DB is coasting on nostalgia and Dokkan only. (& when Dokkan shuts down the revival is officially over) the Xenoverse games are a drop in the bucket & don’t sell much to have an effect . Toy sales have been either stagnant or declining YoY
DB did not need nostalgia to be the 12 biggest media franchises in the world with no Demon Slayer and MHA in sight, but to be fair, it is hard too translate the good animation too toys and video games which is the only selling point they have. I know it's tough for some fans to accept that the old timer is still kicking the young ones asses but it is what it is. And who the fuck cares about the Dokkan, didn't even know that game was still up lol.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:05 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:06 am

DB did not need nostalgia to be the 12 biggest media franchises in the world with no Demon Slayer and MHA in sight, but to be fair, it is hard too translate the good animation too toys and video games which is the only selling point they have. I know it's tough for some fans to accept that the old timer is still kicking the young ones asses but it is what it is. And who the fuck cares about the Dokkan, didn't even know that game was still up lol.
You may not care, and thats fine, I'm not gonna promote a gacha even if it is a Dragon Ball gacha, but considering it made 3.5 billion and it keeps printing money after 7 years (and the last 3 without new DB content to milk), I think the DB owners do care.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:30 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:05 pm

You may not care, and thats fine, I'm not gonna promote a gacha even if it is a Dragon Ball gacha, but considering it made 3.5 billion and it keeps printing money after 7 years (and the last 3 without new DB content to milk), I think the DB owners do care.

Good for them, but that game shutting down is not gonna end Dragon Balls revival.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:57 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:05 pm

Exactly my point. I have no interest in DB outside of the manga and major animations, but I can respect the fact that those probably aren't the sole mediums driving the franchise anymore.

Dragon Ball could make brownies made of Cat Litter and it'd probably make money. I think a vast majority of internet DB fans do not take how seriously DB has grown and how that effects what you might get. Hence why we have no anime or manga but DB still makes more money than 99% of its peers.

They're literally showing you flashes that they don't need an anime or a manga to continue and that's scary. Now you're in the dark if you care about the films or the manga. We just saw this with Konami, they make so much money from other stuff, they don't need Metal Gear Solid games anymore. This Super Hero film is yet another sign.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:02 pm

Dragon ball is massive, I seriously can't believe this needs to be said. Dokkan is huge due to being Dragon ball, and it made 30% of Namcos total mobile revenue for the first half of 22, then in second place was Legends which made 15% of Namcos total mobile revenue for the first half of 22.. thats 45% from just DB. Then we get into the console games and we have Xenoverse 2 and Fighter Z which had sold over 8 million each as of November last year, so they will be a bit higher as of now, and Kakarot which has sold over 5 million. Just using those three games (two with dated numbers) DB has 21m+ sold.... So yeah, Dragon Ball is pretty big.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:43 am

Looks like DBS Super Hero's box office has officially tapped out at $92.9 million. It's the second highest-grossing Dragon Ball movie ever.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:43 am Looks like DBS Super Hero's box office has officially tapped out at $92.9 million. It's the second highest-grossing Dragon Ball movie ever.
Are you surprised how well it did?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:56 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:50 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:43 am Looks like DBS Super Hero's box office has officially tapped out at $92.9 million. It's the second highest-grossing Dragon Ball movie ever.
Not entirely.

I did predict several months back that the movie could make in the region of 90 - 100 million when all was said and done, on the basis that Dragon Ball fans would eat this film up out of desperation for new animated material that is coming from Toriyama himself.

I also predicted that the movie would do worse than Battle Of Gods and Ressurection F in Japan, and that did happen.

I also predicted that the movie would be redeemed internationally, and that did happen.

I honestly got a lot of shit right. :P

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:06 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:56 pm
Not entirely.

I did predict several months back that the movie could make in the region of 90 - 100 million when all was said and done, on the basis that Dragon Ball fans would eat this film up out of desperation for new animated material that is coming from Toriyama himself.

I also predicted that the movie would do worse than Battle Of Gods and Ressurection F in Japan, and that did happen.

I also predicted that the movie would be redeemed internationally, and that did happen.

I'm surprised about how bad it did in France when Dragon Ball has always been popular there.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:18 am

one of the biggest anime media franchises in the world cant even crack 100 million at the box office. Sad... Even more sad that Slam dunk another CGI film is expected to be the third highest admission in japanese film history per yahoo.co.jp( based on presle estimates)

This movie was not a success by any metric like i said it was an abject failure on every level i.e revenue,art,animaton,direction,script,marketing etc.

If I'm Toei or Shueisha you have to remove Toriyama expeditiously from everything involving this franchise. dude has a too much of deathgrip of mediocrity on this franchise. He's constantly fucking shit up, he's old, most of the time he talks or does an interview concerning Dragonball (or anything else tbh) this is him :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Q0vJc ... L&index=58. They gave Yamamuro the boot from the Super movies cause the art and animation was hot ass cheeks for 131 episodes yet they wont do the same when the writing is just as bad if not worse.

Did this movie ruin the franchise? in a way, Yes. and that takes a lot something Minus,Res F, Evolution, & episode 5 of Super didnt even accomplish. But the after effects will manifest later kind of like the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique from Kill Bill. The IP will walk on for a while, seemingly unharmed, neither dead nor alive just in purgatory then collapse unexpectedly

I hope we never get another animated release of anything for Dragonball for a minimum another 50 years so we all can cleanse our palette. That’s how bad it was. The creative team & executives should be ashamed of that movie

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:43 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:06 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:56 pm

Not entirely.

I'm surprised about how bad it did in France when Dragon Ball has always been popular there.

Because the movie have characters that don't give up, so they can't relate to them (jk).

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:23 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:18 am
one of the biggest anime media franchises in the world cant even crack 100 million at the box office. Sad... Even more sad that Slam dunk another CGI film is expected to be the third highest admission in japanese film history per yahoo.co.jp( based on presle estimates)

This movie was not a success by any metric like i said it was an abject failure on every level i.e revenue,art,animaton,direction,script,marketing etc.

If I'm Toei or Shueisha you have to remove Toriyama expeditiously from everything involving this franchise. dude has a too much of deathgrip of mediocrity on this franchise. He's constantly fucking shit up, he's old, most of the time he talks or does an interview concerning Dragonball (or anything else tbh) this is him :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Q0vJc ... L&index=58. They gave Yamamuro the boot from the Super movies cause the art and animation was hot ass cheeks for 131 episodes yet they wont do the same when the writing is just as bad if not worse.

Did this movie ruin the franchise? in a way, Yes. and that takes a lot something Minus,Res F, Evolution, & episode 5 of Super didnt even accomplish. But the after effects will manifest later kind of like the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique from Kill Bill. The IP will walk on for a while, seemingly unharmed, neither dead nor alive just in purgatory then collapse unexpectedly

I hope we never get another animated release of anything for Dragonball for a minimum another 50 years so we all can cleanse our palette. That’s how bad it was. The creative team & executives should be ashamed of that movie
And if I was Toei or Shueisha I would make sure to ignore bad takes like these. The movie ruined the franchise? Please calm down.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:19 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:23 am

And if I was Toei or Shueisha I would make sure to ignore bad takes like these. The movie ruined the franchise? Please calm down.
Bad takes?

In this Era post Mugen Train is 92 million a success for an anime film? Hell No I say 100 million is the bare minimum since 2020 for any anime film to be considered successful

You gotta take a look on other forums and see what general audiences are saying this movie was the worst received out of the 4 modern movies.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:42 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:19 am

Bad takes?

In this Era post Mugen Train is 92 million a success for an anime film? Hell No I say 100 million is the bare minimum since 2020 for any anime film to be considered successful

You gotta take a look on other forums and see what general audiences are saying this movie was the worst received out of the 4 modern movies.

those are a vocal minority, same people that probably only watch the second half of Dragon Ball lol.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:39 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:42 am
Bad takes?

those are a vocal minority, same people that probably only watch the second half of Dragon Ball lol.
The fandom gotta stop with the copium and excuse making for this film

“But but Goku & Vegeta weren’t in it that’s why it did bad”

They were there.

“But but it didn’t have Shintani in the movie”

He was on the staff list along with Takahashi

Vocal minority? So a drop off of 32 million from the film prior is a vocal minority ? More like box office majority & they closed their wallets up quick. :D

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:48 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:39 am
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:42 am

Bad takes?

The fandom gotta stop with the copium and excuse making for this film

“But but Goku & Vegeta weren’t in it that’s why it did bad”

They were there.

“But but it didn’t have Shintani in the movie”

He was on the staff list along with Takahashi

Vocal minority? So a drop off of 32 million from the film prior is a vocal minority ? More like box office majority & they closed their wallets up quick. :D
It was a success and not a flop, deep down you know that, just take the L like i did when Barcelona was out of the champions league.