Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:42 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:06 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:56 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:50 pm

Are you surprised how well it did?
Not entirely.

I did predict several months back that the movie could make in the region of 90 - 100 million when all was said and done, on the basis that Dragon Ball fans would eat this film up out of desperation for new animated material that is coming from Toriyama himself.

I also predicted that the movie would do worse than Battle Of Gods and Ressurection F in Japan, and that did happen.

I also predicted that the movie would be redeemed internationally, and that did happen.

I honestly got a lot of shit right. :P
I'm surprised about how bad it did in France when Dragon Ball has always been popular there.
You can chalk that one down to poor advertising.

In fact, DBS Super Hero did worse at the box office than DBS Broly in every country that DBS Broly was also released in except America. And that really comes down to how badly the film was marketed internationally. The film would have done a lot better at the office if more people actually knew there was a Dragon Ball film coming out.

But regardless, it did very well at the box office despite those circumstances. Really does should how much of a dedicated fanbase Dragon Ball has internationally.

I'm just concerned about what internal conclusion Shueisha and Toei will come to when they take into consideration how badly the film did in Japan compared to Battle Of Gods, Ressurection F and DBS Broly, and even some of the Z movies. DBS Super Hero marks the first time ever that a Dragon Ball movie (at least animated) has made more money in a country in the west than it has in Japan, and by a considerable margin at that as well. To be specific, the film made more than double in America than what it made in Japan. No doubt this will raise a few eyebrows in the Dragon Ball Room, and I hope the head of Shueisha and/or Toei don't use this box office performance as an excuse to try and shove more Goku and Vegeta in the next film.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:38 pm

That take has to be sarcastic. Even if you hated the movie, 50 years is long time. As long as the movies are profitable then they are going to continue make them and yes 90 some odd million dollars is very profitable for anime. Many franchises would be over the moon about those results. Demon Slayer was a black swan event. I do not expect that to be the norm going forward domestically. Anime movies are making more money now but I don't expect Film RED to make 50 million in America. I am proud that they tried something different. If they were only profit motivated they would have released Broly 2 The Second Second Coming.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:58 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:38 pm That take has to be sarcastic. Even if you hated the movie, 50 years is long time. As long as the movies are profitable then they are going to continue make them and yes 90 some odd million dollars is very profitable for anime. Many franchises would be over the moon about those results. Demon Slayer was a black swan event. I do not expect that to be the norm going forward domestically. Anime movies are making more money now but I don't expect Film RED to make 50 million in America. I am proud that they tried something different. If they were only profit motivated they would have released Broly 2 The Second Second Coming.

Dragonball needs a SLOW rebuild 50 years is more than enough. Dragonball has been this mighty bloated juggernaut of zombie franchise thats been somehow surviving for awhile but with each retcon, each narrative & character design disaster the nails in the coffin of this franchise sink deeper, Like you seriously cant feel the apathy amongst the fandom growing & the general interest in the franchise cascading downward? Whatever they do next they cannot lay another goose egg like they did with Superhero. There has to be some improvement Sadly with Toriyama at the helm its more than guaranteed there won’t be.

This movie was not profitable for reference Doraemon stand by me (another CGI anime movie which looked lightyears better than supershitro) had a budget of 35 million in 2014. CGI is more expensive year over year I'm betting this movie had a budget of atleast 40-50 million. & before you say the old "Toei doesnt spend money in a loss the movies are flop proof yada yada" Space Captain harlock another CGI anime Film which had amazing cgi had a budget of 30 million and it flopped just like this last movie.
TheMajinRedComet wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:38 pm I am proud that they tried something different.
Hmmm rescue kinapped child from old enemy and Gohan gets anrgy at Cell and transforms where have we seen these two things before :think:

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:38 pm If they were only profit motivated they would have released Broly 2 The Second Second Coming.
Stop it that was never happening they couldnt use Broly since hes lived and is seemingly a good guy now so had to fall back on Dead Zone 2/ Ressurection: Great Value C.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:35 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:19 amIn this Era post Mugen Train is 92 million a success for an anime film? Hell No I say 100 million is the bare minimum since 2020 for any anime film to be considered successful
That would mean 99% of anime films flopped because so few have grossed over $100 million. Only around 20 anime films have grossed at least 100 million in history and only three since Mugen Train. It still did better than expected since many of us assumed it would gross less than BoG or RoF overall. I don't know what fans are saying on other forums but there are plenty of Hollywood films that were successful at the box office and not considered that good.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:42 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:35 am
YMK_8000 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:19 amIn this Era post Mugen Train is 92 million a success for an anime film? Hell No I say 100 million is the bare minimum since 2020 for any anime film to be considered successful
That would mean 99% of anime films flopped because so few have grossed over $100 million. Only around 20 anime films have grossed at least 100 million in history and only three since Mugen Train. It still did better than expected since many of us assumed it would gross less than BoG or RoF overall. I don't know what fans are saying on other forums but there are plenty of Hollywood films that were successful at the box office and not considered that good.

theres a diffrence yes tons of anime movies get released frequently and dont make much money however compared to DB those are lower echelon franchises that ppl dont expect much from. Put it simply the disaster that happened with this latest movie is akin to a major sports team thats favored to win the superbowl/finals/ etc before the season starts and then they dont even make the playoffs & have the worst record.

After Broly when they said they were working on the next film ppl a lot of people were expecting 200 million+

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:33 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:42 pmtheres a diffrence yes tons of anime movies get released frequently and dont make much money however compared to DB those are lower echelon franchises that ppl dont expect much from. Put it simply the disaster that happened with this latest movie is akin to a major sports team thats favored to win the superbowl/finals/ etc before the season starts and then they dont even make the playoffs & have the worst record.

After Broly when they said they were working on the next film ppl a lot of people were expecting 200 million+
Who assumed it would make that much? Many of us were surprised it grossed more than BoG and RoF especially since it was CGI and focused on side characters. I don't think I've seen anyone who expected it to gross more than Broly.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:59 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:18 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:43 am Looks like DBS Super Hero's box office has officially tapped out at $92.9 million. It's the second highest-grossing Dragon Ball movie ever.
o Even more sad that Slam dunk another CGI film is expected to be the third highest admission in japanese film history per yahoo.co.jp( based on presle estimates) ...
You realize Slam Dunk isn't just "another CGI film" right? More people stopped reading Jump when Slam Dunk ended than when DB ended. It's a beloved franchise that never got the proper anime treatment it deserved and fans are going absolutely nuts for it. This is the equivalent of if the Buu saga never got animated and it was getting a movie series. This is like Bleach's new 1000 year blood war anime but for a MUCH more popular series.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:14 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:42 pm
Skar wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:35 am

theres a diffrence yes tons of anime movies get released frequently and dont make much money however compared to DB those are lower echelon franchises that ppl dont expect much from. Put it simply the disaster that happened with this latest movie is akin to a major sports team thats favored to win the superbowl/finals/ etc before the season starts and then they dont even make the playoffs & have the worst record.

i don't know where did u read this but lmaooo and I won't even talk about the rest of your messages because this is absolute nonsense

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:59 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:33 pm
YMK_8000 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:42 pmtheres a diffrence yes tons of anime movies get released frequently and dont make much money however compared to DB those are lower echelon franchises that ppl dont expect much from. Put it simply the disaster that happened with this latest movie is akin to a major sports team thats favored to win the superbowl/finals/ etc before the season starts and then they dont even make the playoffs & have the worst record.

Who assumed it would make that much? Many of us were surprised it grossed more than BoG and RoF especially since it was CGI and focused on side characters. I don't think I've seen anyone who expected it to gross more than Broly.
I'm talking about before it was revealed as CGI remember in the Broly blue ray booklet in japan there was a translated interview that they were working on the next movie. After Broly did that well on limited release in the states your crazy if another 2-d action packed movie had been relased instead it have made 200 million easy

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:15 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:59 pmI'm talking about before it was revealed as CGI remember in the Broly blue ray booklet in japan there was a translated interview that they were working on the next movie. After Broly did that well on limited release in the states your crazy if another 2-d action packed movie had been relased instead it have made 200 million easy
I think you're the only person I've seen who assumed the next film was going to make that much. I guess there are some fans who overestimate how popular the franchise is. Broly had the most fan service possible with the most popular characters and grossed $120 million. A sequel could have a wider release but that doesn't guarantee it'll make more otherwise almost every sequel would gross more than the films that came before it.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:43 am

Skar wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:15 am
YMK_8000 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:59 pmI'm talking about before it was revealed as CGI remember in the Broly blue ray booklet in japan there was a translated interview that they were working on the next movie. After Broly did that well on limited release in the states your crazy if another 2-d action packed movie had been relased instead it have made 200 million easy
I think you're the only person I've seen who assumed the next film was going to make that much. I guess there are some fans who overestimate how popular the franchise is. Broly had the most fan service possible with the most popular characters and grossed $120 million. A sequel could have a wider release but that doesn't guarantee it'll make more otherwise almost every sequel would gross more than the films that came before it.
I think its more a lot of people underestimate how popular a franchise is

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:44 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:43 amI think its more a lot of people underestimate how popular a franchise is
Some fans assume they know more than the people who have been working in the industry for years. What great idea for a film do you think would've grossed more than Broly and over $200 million? I'm sure if they thought of it then they would've recommended it to Toriyama.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:44 am

Skar wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:44 am
YMK_8000 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:43 amI think its more a lot of people underestimate how popular a franchise is
Some fans assume they know more than the people who have been working in the industry for years. What great idea for a film do you think would've grossed more than Broly and over $200 million? I'm sure if they thought of it then they would've recommended it to Toriyama.
I bet they have but knowing Toriyama in his old age probably shot it down snce he seems to want to do dumb, uncool, nonsensical stories as of late whos plot sounds like Toei loaded some children up on caffeine and sugar, released them into the Dragonball toys section at the Bandai tamashii nations store, and Toriyama wrote down everything the kids did and turned that into a movie.

The other problem is fans seemingly hate non stop spectacle action the very thing the series is known for so something like an Infinity war/ Avengers styled DB movie would get hated on for no reason.

Idk when you have a story universe where demons,anroids,wizards,aliens exist, you can travel dimensions and time-space etc only a complete lack of imagination can prevent that series from reaching 200 million in a movie.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:17 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:44 amIdk when you have a story universe where demons,anroids,wizards,aliens exist, you can travel dimensions and time-space etc only a complete lack of imagination can prevent that series from reaching 200 million in a movie.
Several manga universes have these so cramming all that into a film won't guarantee it'll gross more than Broly. You're the only one deciding that anything below $200 million is a flop. That's like saying every superhero film is a flop if it didn't gross over $2 billion like Infinity War and Endgame. Almost eery superhero film has aliens, wizards, demons, etc but very few reached a billion. You have to consider the reasons why those films made that much and why it won't be easy to replicate in a sequel which we already knew after Broly.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:51 am

I think a Gogeta vs Vegetto movie would sell millions. Don't tell them though :twisted:

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:00 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:17 am
YMK_8000 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:44 amIdk when you have a story universe where demons,anroids,wizards,aliens exist, you can travel dimensions and time-space etc only a complete lack of imagination can prevent that series from reaching 200 million in a movie.
Several manga universes have these so cramming all that into a film won't guarantee it'll gross more than Broly. You're the only one deciding that anything below $200 million is a flop. That's like saying every superhero film is a flop if it didn't gross over $2 billion like Infinity War and Endgame. Almost eery superhero film has aliens, wizards, demons, etc but very few reached a billion. You have to consider the reasons why those films made that much and why it won't be easy to replicate in a sequel which we already knew after Broly.
You guys gotta logout & see what the concensus is outside of kanzenshuu. MAL, Reddit, AnimeNewsNetwork forums etc 92 million is considered a flop for Dragonball.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:09 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:00 pmYou guys gotta logout & see what the concensus is outside of kanzenshuu. MAL, Reddit, AnimeNewsNetwork forums etc 92 million is considered a flop for Dragonball.
There were fans who didn't like it here either. You're not really explaining how it's a flop other than you expected the next film after Broly to gross +200 million. You're going to assume every DB film is a flop as long as it's below that number you decided on.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:38 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:00 pm
Skar wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:17 am
You guys gotta logout & see what the concensus is outside of kanzenshuu. MAL, Reddit, AnimeNewsNetwork forums etc 92 million is considered a flop for Dragonball.
I went and checked for myself those sites and I can't find what you are talking about....

MAL: the only thing I found was topic from Aug 29, when the movie reached 68 million and there only one person saying something "bad"and I quote "Ok but demon slayer smacked it in money making"

Reddit: the majority of the comments I find on here are positive calling the movie a success or saying "It did Good" the most I see is people comparing Super Hero to Film Red but even they are saying Red is a special film among the One Piece franchise (Shanks = Hype)and unlike Super hero, it had a Big marketing promoting the film, plus a popular Japanese singer singing the songs.

Animenewsnetwork: the only thing I found here is the topic of " Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Film Beats Broly to Reach Top 5 All-Time Anime Films in U.S."but it has barely any comments, and yes they are talking negatively but more on the subject of the second week drop, not the overall performance.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:08 am

Skar wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:09 pm
YMK_8000 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:00 pmYou guys gotta logout & see what the concensus is outside of kanzenshuu. MAL, Reddit, AnimeNewsNetwork forums etc 92 million is considered a flop for Dragonball.
There were fans who didn't like it here either. You're not really explaining how it's a flop other than you expected the next film after Broly to gross +200 million. You're going to assume every DB film is a flop as long as it's below that number you decided on.
If the movie after your last one which was a huge success makes way less is that not considered a flop?

Let me ask you this do you think Dragonball is as popular or close to as popular as JJK, Demon Slayer etc?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:02 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:08 amIf the movie after your last one which was a huge success makes way less is that not considered a flop?

Let me ask you this do you think Dragonball is as popular or close to as popular as JJK, Demon Slayer etc?
A flop is usually if a film fails to make a profit. We kinda already talked how this was expected to make less than Broly. If you're using JJK and DS as the standard then that would mean every DB film was a flop. It would also mean every Pokemon, OP, NGE, or Case Closed was a flop since none of them made more than the number you decided on.