Upcoming Fortnite x Dragon Ball Collaboration

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Upcoming Fortnite x Dragon Ball Collaboration

Post by obiwan23s » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:14 pm

I think Epic did a great job on this collaboration! Yeah I see what some people are saying about the Goku and Vegeta faces being a little off, but it's not that bad and when you're the player character you dont see the face anyway. Beerus and Bulma look great, disappointed Bulma didnt come with the Namek outfit like that leak from the Japanese magazine suggested - but I guess this is supposed to be Super and not Z.

The bonus styles for Super Saiyan and Ultra Instinct are solid. I like that you can progress through them and revert to base form through the emote.

I wasn't expecting the gliders to be so cool. It's great to see the Nimbus and Space Pod in the game. The Kamesennin shell and staff were a nice touch. I knew there weren't a lot of options for pickaxes and back blings for the characters they chose here but there is a lot of iconic, classic stuff. Feels like all we didnt get was a Scouter.

There is also a set of in game challenges for you to complete that will unlock more content like an emote for charging up ki, Dragon Radar back bling and after completing all the challenges you'll get a Sheron glider. Overall this is way more in game content than they did for Naruto. Plus there is apparently a way to chill out at DB locations like Capsule Corp and watch episodes of Super in game (likely in Creative mode).

If you dont play Fortnite, or haven't got into it because you think it's a dumb kids game (it's ok, I was that person at one point too) I hope the DB content they've brought is a bridge to the game for you. The building can be difficult but there is a no build mode now if that's a deal breaker for you. But once you get accustomed to how the game works it's really a lot of fun.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:02 pm

I don't care for Fortnite or what Dragon Ball does in terms of promotional collaborations... that being said... this is pretty fucking funny.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:19 pm

You know, after further review the Goku and Vegeta skins are fine. It's just a matter of getting used to the DB art style in Fortnite. But in your in game locker you can enlarge the skins and they look fine there.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:12 pm

So according to my brother who is a big Forenote guy, the Dragonball characters are canon to fortnite as copycat versions the island creates so innthe Dragonball multiverse these are technically official versions of the dragon team.

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie
Location: hehe dromaeosaurids,, (icon drawn by @/FeralWolf1234)

Post by DiloVortexx » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:09 pm

yea i think the saiyan skins look okay.. not awful not perfect just good enough that you can recognize them as gokû and vegeta! and the bulma and beerus skins look amazing they're the best ones of this pack ngl
Lord Beerus wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:02 pm I don't care for Fortnite or what Dragon Ball does in terms of promotional collaborations... that being said... this is pretty fucking funny.
LORD....... the state of video games rn sure is something DSDFGJKDFFJ
also on that note... "STUPID SAIYAN I'M FUCKING BALLING"
miguelnuva1 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:12 pm So according to my brother who is a big Forenote guy, the Dragonball characters are canon to fortnite as copycat versions the island creates so innthe Dragonball multiverse these are technically official versions of the dragon team.
oh my god... that is so cursed help..
imagine a scenario where the main universe 7 team somehow ends up in this fortnite timeline, sees themselves hitting the griddy and shooting people with guns and just being like "What in the Fuck" ESPECIALLY VEGETA AND BEERUS LOL
Dilo/Volt/Kareol/Zhadio -- Demiromantic pansexual demiboy (transmasc non-binary; goes by he/him, they/them, xe/xem/xyrs and raptorself pronouns!! to see more of my preferences regarding gender, sexuality and pronouns, click here!

dilo is pronounced dye - low, kareol is pronounced kah - rey - ohl (like bowl) and zhadio is pronounced zah - dee - ohh for those who may have trouble pronouncing my names! ^^")

autistic digital artist who likes drawing creatures and monsters and also they really like dragon ball lol (i may post dragon ball related oc art as well.. cuz i've done that a few times)
since i'm used to the lgbtq+ focused side of the fandom, those are usually the kind of topics youll see me post in if any of those pop up : o bc i have a pretty queer reading of the series ^^"

oh, you don't know what neopronouns are all about? well, have a resource for that!!
want to know how to use tone indicators to help out neurodivergent people to understand your words better? click here!

if you see me randomly type a bunch of letters like SDHFJFJGHD, thats just a thing in the lgbtq+ community called keysmashing which is usually used to show someone is laughing (either nervously or bluntly and so on and so forth)
if you need any help learning about lgbtq+ terms and such, feel free to ask! i will try my best to help out ^^

goten and trunks are gay and trans ♥

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:10 pm

I always thought it was only a matter of time.

I share a frustration with Maximilian Dood, the fighting game guy on YouTube. Fortnite gets all the best collaborations, we've literally reached a point where Goku vs. Superman is no longer a meme, but nothing can really get me to invest time into the game itself... not even Dragon Ball. I just can't get into it, it's not my cup of tea. I've honestly tried, but the gameplay is too dumbed down. Even when they put a large amount of effort into a collab set like this, it's hard to get past the fact that you can have Goku pick up an assault rifle then floss afterwards. Which is funny for how absurd it is, I guess, in the same way that Gmod is funny to dick around in. But as accurate as Vegeta looks, you're constantly reminded that it's just a skin; it's not the "real" Vegeta.

Still, it's absolutely insane how much Fortnite has been able to acquire and how many boundaries have been crossed. Out of morbid curiosity, I have kept up with news about the collaborations and off the top of my head, here is just some of shit included in this one game:
I mean, yeah, Smash Bros. Ultimate was pretty big but Fortnite is on another level, man. Just makes me want an "official" MUGEN type of game. :lol:

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DiloVortexx » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:42 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:10 pm I always thought it was only a matter of time.

I share a frustration with Maximilian Dood, the fighting game guy on YouTube. Fortnite gets all the best collaborations, we've literally reached a point where Goku vs. Superman is no longer a meme, but nothing can really get me to invest time into the game itself... not even Dragon Ball. I just can't get into it, it's not my cup of tea. I've honestly tried, but the gameplay is too dumbed down. Even when they put a large amount of effort into a collab set like this, it's hard to get past the fact that you can have Goku pick up an assault rifle then floss afterwards. Which is funny for how absurd it is, I guess, in the same way that Gmod is funny to dick around in. But as accurate as Vegeta looks, you're constantly reminded that it's just a skin; it's not the "real" Vegeta.

Still, it's absolutely insane how much Fortnite has been able to acquire and how many boundaries have been crossed. Out of morbid curiosity, I have kept up with news about the collaborations and off the top of my head, here is just some of shit included in this one game:
I mean, yeah, Smash Bros. Ultimate was pretty big but Fortnite is on another level, man. Just makes me want an "official" MUGEN type of game. :lol:
okay yeah i agree with ya too.. like even if i do get the beerus skin i doubt ill be very much invested to actually play the game much afterwards bc fortnite is just one of those games I'm personally not interested in
the memes we've been getting out of this and the fact they have such insane crossovers are fucking amazing dont get me wrong but yea i wish i wouldve been for a game I'm more into... (or like you said an official mugen type game.. which we're sorta getting with that game, fraymakers but thats more of a smash brothers platform fighter not a more complex sidescrolling fighter)

just having a game with very customizable characters (like hero forge and spore but fighting game... yes i am deliberately ignoring the existence of spore hero) you can battle ppl as would be super cool...
Dilo/Volt/Kareol/Zhadio -- Demiromantic pansexual demiboy (transmasc non-binary; goes by he/him, they/them, xe/xem/xyrs and raptorself pronouns!! to see more of my preferences regarding gender, sexuality and pronouns, click here!

dilo is pronounced dye - low, kareol is pronounced kah - rey - ohl (like bowl) and zhadio is pronounced zah - dee - ohh for those who may have trouble pronouncing my names! ^^")

autistic digital artist who likes drawing creatures and monsters and also they really like dragon ball lol (i may post dragon ball related oc art as well.. cuz i've done that a few times)
since i'm used to the lgbtq+ focused side of the fandom, those are usually the kind of topics youll see me post in if any of those pop up : o bc i have a pretty queer reading of the series ^^"

oh, you don't know what neopronouns are all about? well, have a resource for that!!
want to know how to use tone indicators to help out neurodivergent people to understand your words better? click here!

if you see me randomly type a bunch of letters like SDHFJFJGHD, thats just a thing in the lgbtq+ community called keysmashing which is usually used to show someone is laughing (either nervously or bluntly and so on and so forth)
if you need any help learning about lgbtq+ terms and such, feel free to ask! i will try my best to help out ^^

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:02 am

The renders seem to be modeled on the Shintani designs with the Yamamuro color scheme. Beerus is the clearest example of Shintani. Goku's eye spacing is similar to those designs as well.

IMO the visuals look way worse than Naruto or Rick and Morty by a lot. Goku's hair is too droopy.

I like the character choice. I'm fine with Bulma outfit. And I'm glad Goku's voice is Nozawa's.

I think it's really cool that DB is in Fortnite, the Kamehameha looks fun, and I might give the game a shot for this.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:06 am

Picked up all the DB stuff and one silly dance since my GF has been playing Fortnite for years an had some fun! I got 3 Victory Royales and a couple kamehameha kills. They must be pairing me off with other newbies because I'm usually plain awful at shooters.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:24 am

MuscleRobo wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:06 am Picked up all the DB stuff and one silly dance since my GF has been playing Fortnite for years an had some fun! I got 3 Victory Royales and a couple kamehameha kills. They must be pairing me off with other newbies because I'm usually plain awful at shooters.
If you are brand new to Fortnite then you get matched up with other new players and also a significant number of players in the lobby will be AI-controlled bots. Once you get enough XP to be level 10-15 you will start to see an uptick in real players in the game. I think this is just so the game can assess your skill level before throwing you to the wolves so to speak.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:27 pm

I've only played a few matches total since its launch, so it was both terrifying and fun to jump back into the game last night. Here's the full archive from our stream-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB2LIn7MUv8

There are chapter marks for each section, including browsing the menus and then each of the actual battle royale rounds. It's INCREDIBLY satisfying to pull of a Kamehameha and get multiple people with it -- that's how I won my final round last night.

Actually super damn impressed with the integration and overall experience. Gonna keep poking at it for sure.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:13 pm

DiloVortexx wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:42 pm
okay yeah i agree with ya too.. like even if i do get the beerus skin i doubt ill be very much invested to actually play the game much afterwards bc fortnite is just one of those games I'm personally not interested in
the memes we've been getting out of this and the fact they have such insane crossovers are fucking amazing dont get me wrong but yea i wish i wouldve been for a game I'm more into... (or like you said an official mugen type game.. which we're sorta getting with that game, fraymakers but thats more of a smash brothers platform fighter not a more complex sidescrolling fighter)

just having a game with very customizable characters (like hero forge and spore but fighting game... yes i am deliberately ignoring the existence of spore hero) you can battle ppl as would be super cool...
Yeah exactly. I don't actually mind battle royale games and I love shooters in general, but Fortnite just never grabbed me gameplay-wise. The garish visuals are also a bit of a turnoff, though I like how the licensed skins translate into the art style. One thing I appreciate about Fortnite is that in many ways, it's more than just a game at this point, it's like a huge social network. If you don't vibe with the shooting/building mechanics, you can just... chill out with some dudes and watch anime on a huge flatscreen. :lol:

I am kinda hyped for Fraymakers, definitely interested in the customisation tools and the kinds of characters people will be able to build from scratch. Man, Spore brings me back as well...

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:27 pm I've only played a few matches total since its launch, so it was both terrifying and fun to jump back into the game last night. Here's the full archive from our stream-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB2LIn7MUv8

There are chapter marks for each section, including browsing the menus and then each of the actual battle royale rounds. It's INCREDIBLY satisfying to pull of a Kamehameha and get multiple people with it -- that's how I won my final round last night.

Actually super damn impressed with the integration and overall experience. Gonna keep poking at it for sure.
Very cool to see you doing a stream about this. I was hoping to see people from the online DB-verse who don't necessarily play Fortnite share their take on it. Hope that you find the game enjoyable and consider playing it more. I promise I dont get paid by Epic to promote their game, I just think it's fun :D

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:58 am

And I'm glad Goku's voice is Nozawa's.
Yeah, to be honest at first I was a bit shocked that he and Vegeta's voice were only from the Japanese cast, not the Crunchyroll English cast, considering the dub's immense (or at least very vocal) popularity and that it is a game developed in the US. But then again, they likely don't want to pay royalties towards the international dubbing studios just for a collaboration where the bulk of the gameplay is just grunts and maybe a few lines, so them just getting ones from the native language was good enough.
I do wonder if some will be turned off from playing as Goku given their divisive response to Nozawa.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:38 pm

Wrigglything wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:58 am Yeah, to be honest at first I was a bit shocked that he and Vegeta's voice were only from the Japanese cast, not the Crunchyroll English cast, considering the dub's immense (or at least very vocal) popularity and that it is a game developed in the US. But then again, they likely don't want to pay royalties towards the international dubbing studios just for a collaboration where the bulk of the gameplay is just grunts and maybe a few lines, so them just getting ones from the native language was good enough.
I do wonder if some will be turned off from playing as Goku given their divisive response to Nozawa.
Epic Games actually has a deal with Shueisha to use characters from series that they own, so I doubt that deal included anything to do with English dub voices. A large majority of Fortnite skins dont have emotes with any voice lines. Honestly most of them that do are from collaborations like this. But it seems like FUNi/Crunchyroll had nothing to do with this. The Goku skin is actually named "Son Goku" in the locker, the Nimbus has (Kintoun) in brackets next to it and the power pole has (Nyoibo) next to it.

As a fan of the Japanese version, I love to see this. However I'm sure there are some dub fans upset. I'm honestly surprised we got voices at all, but glad that its Horikawa and Nozawa.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:55 pm

Got the three star ball last night and I'm going to try to play "Duos" with my girlfriend a bit tonight before and after Super Hero to get the four star ball! This has been a really fun way to connect with her since she's been a fan for a while and I've never even played Fortnite. I wonder if the event is getting a lot of new players or how many people are buying the skins.

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:07 pm

obiwan23s wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:38 pm Epic Games actually has a deal with Shueisha to use characters from series that they own, so I doubt that deal included anything to do with English dub voices. But it seems like FUNi/Crunchyroll had nothing to do with this.
Upon looking a bit further, there is an instance of them using the dub cast for content. There is a room where players can watch full episodes of Super dubbed in English and some select clips of Super Hero, assuming the footage that goes by, including some stuff that hasn't really been posted anywhere else yet in high quality or at least ones I didn't notice. So I guess they were just not bothered in localising for each language, so they just had Nozawa and Horikawa clips instead.

DiloVortexx
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DiloVortexx » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:24 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:13 pm
Yeah exactly. I don't actually mind battle royale games and I love shooters in general, but Fortnite just never grabbed me gameplay-wise. The garish visuals are also a bit of a turnoff, though I like how the licensed skins translate into the art style. One thing I appreciate about Fortnite is that in many ways, it's more than just a game at this point, it's like a huge social network. If you don't vibe with the shooting/building mechanics, you can just... chill out with some dudes and watch anime on a huge flatscreen. :lol:

I am kinda hyped for Fraymakers, definitely interested in the customisation tools and the kinds of characters people will be able to build from scratch. Man, Spore brings me back as well...
YEAAA its refreshing to have that kind of a shooter game where you can just chill out with people like that and thats what i gotta admit abt fortnite skdfjkdfg
and ye the artstyle of the game was a turnoff for me too but their designs did translate quite well into the game, especially blooma and beerus : o

YEAH SAME i'm interested to see what the community makes for fraymakers it looks like its gonna be super fun : D
and oh mood abt spore i love that game so much

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:18 am

Super Hero Gohan and Piccolo were just added this morning. You can see a breakdown of all the new cosmetics here. Gohan can't go Beast though!

https://youtu.be/jDtD7QKzcxk

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:27 pm

Yeah, was a disappointment that there was no Beast form for Gohan. Or an orange gi alternate style for Gohan, with Goku already in the game it would have been easy enough to put that in.

Was a nice surprise to get these today. I play Fortnite pretty regularly and stuff like this usually gets leaked ahead of time, but this was a total surprise. I expect FN is not done with Dragon Ball collabs, especially since there have been no villain skins yet. You have to think Freeza is coming at some point. And with Gohan being added today that would probably make Future Trunks the next Saiyan on deck to join Fortnite.