Upcoming Fortnite x Dragon Ball Collaboration

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Upcoming Fortnite x Dragon Ball Collaboration

Post by MuscleRobo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:43 pm

obiwan23s wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:27 pm Yeah, was a disappointment that there was no Beast form for Gohan. Or an orange gi alternate style for Gohan, with Goku already in the game it would have been easy enough to put that in.

Was a nice surprise to get these today. I play Fortnite pretty regularly and stuff like this usually gets leaked ahead of time, but this was a total surprise. I expect FN is not done with Dragon Ball collabs, especially since there have been no villain skins yet. You have to think Freeza is coming at some point. And with Gohan being added today that would probably make Future Trunks the next Saiyan on deck to join Fortnite.
I really thought the packs were going to be Gohan & Piccolo in a single pack and then 18 & Future Trunks in another since they usually have to do 1 girl per pack.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:45 pm

I actually had a super good time playing last collaboration, so I'm moderately psyched to jump back in. Fortnite overall just doesn't fit in with my schedule (I barely have enough time to play any other stuff casually on my own, nevermind an evergreen game like this...), so it's nice to have an "excuse" where I "have to" check something out. Dunno when that'll be, but I'll definitely try to get a stream with friends of the site going... at some point.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:16 pm

I would have loved to be able to play as Gohan Beast, but I think I can guess why they didn't do it: the massive hair would block the view. Some players already said it was sometimes a problem with Vegeta's hair or Goku's Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan Blue hair. So imagine what they would say with massive upwards hair like Gohan Beast!

Having to keep characters' size in check is also probably why we don't get Orange Piccolo, who I think is supposed to be way more muscular and massive than Piccolo's regular shape!

Of course, I could be wrong and it could all be for a simple reason like not spoiling the forms for those who want to buy the Blu-ray / DVD releases or rent it.

But I think avoiding massive disproportions in the characters (whether too small or too big) is a constant in this competitive game - which is why you'll probably never get to play as Yoda among the Star Wars characters for example.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri May 12, 2023 9:06 pm

Goku Black dropped: https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status ... q-u_8tAAAA

And considering how profitable this DB collaboration is some more characters may show up.
They should also update the first Vegeta and Goku models.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Tue May 23, 2023 1:40 am

It was a little disappointing that Future Trunks wasnt added alongside Goku Black as that would have been a solid pairing. However Trunks has to be one of the next skins they do at this point. If they did another set of 4 using Trunks, Freeza and Androids 17 & 18, then I think most DB skins that people would want would be in the game. Safe to say that since they are using DB Super branding that Z era outfits for Trunks and the Androids are off the table. I could also see Whis and Broly being added at some point.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Tue May 23, 2023 10:45 am

obiwan23s wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:40 am It was a little disappointing that Future Trunks wasnt added alongside Goku Black as that would have been a solid pairing. However Trunks has to be one of the next skins they do at this point. If they did another set of 4 using Trunks, Freeza and Androids 17 & 18, then I think most DB skins that people would want would be in the game. Safe to say that since they are using DB Super branding that Z era outfits for Trunks and the Androids are off the table. I could also see Whis and Broly being added at some point.
I was really surprised Goku Black was a solo drop too. I was surprised when Gohan and Piccolo dropped as a duo as well! It seemed like most collabs had four characters for a while until that; although the Attack on Titan Collab only had two. Goku Black was trending on Twitter and pretty popular though so I think it's safe to say we'll get some more characters eventually who look so good we'll learn to dislike the original batch of skins even more! lol

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:25 am

Fortnite has added Frieza and Cell to their roster of Dragon Ball skins. Frieza has 3 styles, his base form, his final form and his Golden form. His back bling is his floating pod that he used on Namek in his base form. Cell has 2 styles, his first form and his Perfect form. His back bling is the empty husk that Gohan found with Bulma and Trunks when they found the second time machine in Dragon Ball Z.

There is also a gear bundle with a pickaxe for both characters and Frieza's spaceship glider. Frieza's pickaxe is also modeled after his spaceship and Cell's pickaxe is modeled after the egg shell that Trunks found inside the second time machine in that same scene in Z.

Overall wasnt expecting this drop but this they did a good job. Also this marks the first appearance of Z era content in Fortnite. Everything else so far has clearly been from Super. This gives me hope that if Future Trunks and the Androids (which is the logical next drop in my opinion) will get their Z styles as alternates

I think this also puts Dragon Ball as the anime IP with the most skins in Fortnite. There are now 9 with Goku, Vegeta, Bulma, Beerus, Gohan, Piccolo, Goku Black, Frieza and Cell. Naruto previously held the lead with 8. Obviously the Marvel, DC and Star Wars franchises have more but nice to see our favorite anime getting some love in this game.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:10 am

A brief review after playing a handful of games with the new skins and items.

Overall the skin designs are fantastic and look like they came straight from the anime into Fortnite. It also makes the Dragon Ball set of characters in Fortnite feel a little more complete since it's not just mostly heroes now. Freeza's final form and Golden forms use the Super character designs of course. However the first forms of both look like they do in Z. I think final form Freeza and Perfect Cell will be the most commonly used variants of these skins in game but I'll keep my eye out for some first form fans.

First form Cell blends in with grassy environments very well. I bet some people will complain that makes him pay to win. I did get a victory royale with first form Cell but not by camping in a grassy environment lol. Final form Freeza was very satisfying to play as and I got a victory royale with him as well although it wasnt back to back after my win with Cell. Perfect and Golden forms were also very satisfying and what you would expect them to look and move like.

My one complaint is the lack of a built in transformation emote this time. I can somewhat understand it, because neither of these characters transform from their first form to their final form without skipping a form or two in between. You might ask, well why not include the other forms then? For Cell I think this is a valid question as the 2nd form of Cell is more or less the same proportionally as the other two as far as creating a video game skin is concerned. However the middle Freeza forms that were skipped are drastically off model compared to the ones that were used so I completely understand why he didnt get all of his forms. But still, for these characters you will have to set what form you want before the game and it will then be locked to that for the entire match with no ability to transform between all the variants in game like the other Dragon Ball skins.

Fortnite is known to add things to sets after the fact, like emotes or styles for the skins. So if the Super anime continues and Black Freeza is introduced then they can update the skin with a new style. It's very rare that this happens but this would be a good opportunity for it.