Dragon Ball Super now streaming on UK's "BBC iPlayer"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Super now streaming on UK's "BBC iPlayer"

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:50 am

No marketing or promotion, just popped up.

Good news for anyone that doesn't have the home releases or a Crunchyroll, there's another option to watch.

Have to say it's quite random for TOEI to give a streaming license to the BBC of all companies, but anything that can broaden the series exposure is good in my books.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super now streaming on UK's "BBC iPlayer"

Post by The Accountant » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:42 pm

They only ever seem to go up to Episode 46. Here in Australia, "iView" is constantly cycling the same censored episodes. I guess the Future Trunks saga is too dark for child audiences. Oh well.

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:47 am

The Accountant wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:42 pm They only ever seem to go up to Episode 46. Here in Australia, "iView" is constantly cycling the same censored episodes. I guess the Future Trunks saga is too dark for child audiences. Oh well.
I take that back completely. Episode 49 is currently the latest episode available. So Future Trunks saga.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:14 pm

BBC subtitle team vs Engrish song lyrics
Pop is still airing the series, and you can't download them, so I guess that the BBC were thrifty and just grabbed the leftover rights. I think this is the first time that any dubbed Dragon Ball content has been available for streaming in the UK. It's a novelty to have a Funimation dub on iPlayer, though it makes sense when you consider the franchise's history on Cartoon Network and Pop. BBC Three branding would have been more encouraging, as that would be a more appropriate place for Shonen stuff without edited dubs.

This seems to be the same edit as the Pop broadcast, with some additional cuts by the BBC; the weird edits, inconsistent English/Japanese theme music, and low-FPS action scenes are carried over as-is.
Flicking through: the Kai flashback where Vegeta hits Trunks cut entirely, as is Roshi spying on girls at Bulma's party, after both were toned down for Pop. Goku accidentality teleporting into Bulma's bedroom is still here, but his final line about Bulma not being his type is understandably cut. They've also cut the eyecatchers (as expected) and NEPs, and also only seem to be using the Super Saiyan Blue opening. But that's more than enough minutiae for now.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:43 am

The Accountant wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:42 pm They only ever seem to go up to Episode 46. Here in Australia, "iView" is constantly cycling the same censored episodes. I guess the Future Trunks saga is too dark for child audiences. Oh well.
That's interesting. Maybe the BBC and ABC both decided that Future Trunks onwards was too dark. If they went for the edited version clearly it's a conscious effort to sell Super exclusively to kids.
LostTimeLord wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:14 pm I think this is the first time that any dubbed Dragon Ball content has been available for streaming in the UK.
Yeah, the only other case I can think of is when Pop had Super streaming on their PS4 app, but that was a rarity few people probably noticed (I didn't notice myself until it was pointed out to me).

I wasn't aware of the extra edits, but that's fascinating stuff.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:02 pm

Re: Only up to Episode 46

I think the issue here lies less in the content of the Trunks arc and more in the fact that there's seemingly no edited audio masters available after Episode 52; after that episode, Pop just kinda started awkwardly editing around the cursing and even left direct references to death and Mr. Satan's name alone. Because Episode 46 marks the last complete story arc with edited audio, it seems to be the most natural stopping point if you exclusively want an edited version. Maybe in the future Funi will send edited audio for the rest of the episodes. Heck, that may be happening now which is why ABC is starting to air the Trunks arc.

If that's the case, I imagine that BBC either needs to make more cuts to the Future Trunks arc or just doesn't have the rights for anything past a certain point yet. I vaguely recall Toei selling Super so some broadcasters in an initial 52-episode package (which makes sense for traditional TV channels but not so much for streaming services), so maybe they only got the 52 and decided to put up 46 because, again, natural stopping point.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:46 pm

So the BBC site has uploaded up to Episode 76. It seems that this is still a slightly more edited version of the Pop version with the awkward cuts around swears and the like.

The Arale episode seems to cut around mentions of Mr. Satan's name. Also, references to death have been kept in Episode 53; this is in contrast to the Australian broadcast of the arc on ABC so far, where they actually received edited audio masters for episodes after 52 that have less harsh language as we've come to expect.

My guess is either the BBC found it easier to just further edit the Pop episodes than to re-edit them from scratch with the new audio or the Pop episodes are all they have access to.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:58 pm

The Universe Survival arc was added yesterday, completing the series. The first three "series" are now listed as being available for another 10 months, while 47-131 are available for over a year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0f23wxf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:09 am

This is awesome I really hope The BBC will get Pretty Cure next!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: