"Dragon Ball Super : Super Hero" Home Release Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

"Dragon Ball Super : Super Hero" Home Release Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:19 pm

Japanese release available on 4K UHD Blu-ray, standard Blu-ray and DVD from December 7th, 2022.

4K expected to have Dolby TrueHD (Dolby Atmos).

Steelbook option also available:

Feel free to discuss any international releases here. I expect Crunchyroll will release it in all their territories like the US and UK, AB Video for France, Madman for Australia, etc.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super : Super Hero" Home Release Discussion Thread

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:16 am

FUNi never got on the 4K Blu train even when a Japanese equivalent existed, that I remember. Might be too early in the buyout for the decision on this one to be telling? I'd be surprised if Toei rendered the film at that resolution to begin.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:42 pm

So with the release coming in three months, does this mean that Sony will internationally distribute the home media release as well? And if it does, I really hope they at least have it available on iTunes and Google Play in a reasonable price at other parts of Asia too (not just Japan lol), though a Blu Ray and DVD release is much preffered.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:26 pm

I pre-ordered the steel book. I’m so glad it’s releasing in 4K with Dolby Atmos. I wish Broly got a 4K release. Hopefully Crunchyroll releases SH in that format internationally as well.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:24 pm

Coming March 14th, presumably just North America as of now.

Hopefully green tint will be fixed.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:28 pm

…And no mention of a 4K release. That fucking sucks, man.

Platypus

Post by Platypus » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:46 pm

So I guess it came out today in North-America. Any updates on when it will be released in other countries?

Beerus

Post by Beerus » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:12 pm

Platypus wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:46 pm So I guess it came out today in North-America. Any updates on when it will be released in other countries?
No idea , 0 communication for UK & IRE since the whole funimation/crunchyroll merge. Pretty shocking everywhere though it seems.

It is out on digital services some places, but i'd rather not.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:29 am

Beerus wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:12 pm
Platypus wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:46 pm So I guess it came out today in North-America. Any updates on when it will be released in other countries?
No idea , 0 communication for UK & IRE since the whole funimation/crunchyroll merge. Pretty shocking everywhere though it seems.

Anime-On-Line just announced pre-orders for Crunchyroll UK releases. Sadly there isn't any links for Super Hero at the moment, but this is today's slate.
As for the release date, I was told May. I also let Crunchyroll know the day before they received production materials about the green tint issue, so hoping either themselves or Visual Data London (who authored the Super Broly Blu-Ray) can get it fixed.

Beerus

Post by Beerus » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:43 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:29 am
Beerus wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:12 pm

Anime-On-Line just announced pre-orders for Crunchyroll UK releases. Sadly there isn't any links for Super Hero at the moment, but this is today's slate.

As for the release date, I was told May. I also let Crunchyroll know the day before they received production materials about the green tint issue, so hoping either themselves or Visual Data London (who authored the Super Broly Blu-Ray) can get it fixed.
There was a post on Friday 17th March, pre order links for amazon are up for jun 23rd. I find it a bit mind boggling how the releases are so far apart from not only japan but even NA. Pretty disappointing.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:30 am

I didn't get the chance to see Super Hero in theaters in Japanese with English subtitles, despite both my local theaters offering Subbed screenings. I saw the film with my Sister when it released back in August, so I've only seen the English dub. I really wish I did see it a second time though.

Because of that, I've been wanting to purchase the Blu-ray to rewatch the film. Is there anyone who owns a copy of the Blu-ray who can confirm if it uses the English dub character names on the subtitle track? For instance, Krillin instead of Kuririn, Korin instead of Karin, Shenron instead of Shen Long, Beerus instead of Beers, Broly instead of Broli. That should be it, as I don't believe anyone else with a different name is mentioned or seen in the film.

I've showered these forums, along with Twitter, and was not able to find ANYTHING at all saying whether it uses Dub names or not.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:05 am

Unfortunately names like "Broly" have been mandated for a while now (we got that notice at the beginning of the Dragon Ball Super: Broly international release), but yeah -- other things like "Krillin" have come in here now, too. Bummer. We're watching the Japanese version for a reason! It's intentional!

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:39 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:05 am Unfortunately names like "Broly" have been mandated for a while now (we got that notice at the beginning of the Dragon Ball Super: Broly international release), but yeah -- other things like "Krillin" have come in here now, too. Bummer. We're watching the Japanese version for a reason! It's intentional!

That's unfortunate, but expected, after what happened with the home release of Broly. I guess Dragonball is just cursed to forever have imperfect releases now, at least stateside. Green Tint and Dub Names for the modern productions (Dragonball Kai: The Final Chapters [for the most part,] Dragonball Super: Broly, Dragonball Super: Super Hero,) and awful remasters with missing items for the old productions (Cropping, DVNR, missing NEPs.)

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:05 pm

Why is that every other film comes out on Blu Ray and it's £15 but then this has to be £20? I've never known any other Blu Ray to retail that high.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:03 pm

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:05 pm Why is that every other film comes out on Blu Ray and it's £15 but then this has to be £20? I've never known any other Blu Ray to retail that high.
Anime being a smaller market than mainstream film does that.

Has anyone got the UK Blu-Ray this week? Some interesting comments from people who bought the US disc not being able to see the green tint.

I only got the regular edition, but am quite happy with it. The Collector's Edition looked nice, although a little clunky to my liking for what it contained. Not into steelbooks but I have to say the one we got looks great.

If anyone hasn't bought yet, you can get 10% with a code if you purchase from Rarewaves between now and tomorrow with the code JUNE10, so may be a good time to jump on that.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:34 pm

At least, you have localized home releases. Someone investigated on what's going on in Hong Kong and found out that Sony/Crunchyroll only has theatrical screening rights to Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero with no one owning home video distribution rights in Hong Kong. So home video release is still up in the air.
The world is your's.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:21 am

tinlunlau wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:34 pm At least, you have localized home releases. Someone investigated on what's going on in Hong Kong and found out that Sony/Crunchyroll only has theatrical screening rights to Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero with no one owning home video distribution rights in Hong Kong. So home video release is still up in the air.
Was Super Broly released on home video? I thought I read something about it. I agree though, I prefer there being some flawed home releases than none at all. People gave out a lot about Manga UK here, although they still did more than AB Groupe and Warner Vision back in the day (who only released 3 movies with the Big Green dub) by releasing everything uncut except for the original Dragon Ball movies.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:24 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:21 am
tinlunlau wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:34 pm At least, you have localized home releases. Someone investigated on what's going on in Hong Kong and found out that Sony/Crunchyroll only has theatrical screening rights to Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero with no one owning home video distribution rights in Hong Kong. So home video release is still up in the air.
Was Super Broly released on home video? I thought I read something about it. I agree though, I prefer there being some flawed home releases than none at all. People gave out a lot about Manga UK here, although they still did more than AB Groupe and Warner Vision back in the day (who only released 3 movies with the Big Green dub) by releasing everything uncut except for the original Dragon Ball movies.
The Broly movie had a BluRay release. I think Ressurection F even had a 3D BluRay release in Hong Kong.
The world is your's.

Bloodthroe

Post by Bloodthroe » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:08 pm

Bumping this thread, because I would like to know if anyone can give an indepth comparison of the 4K release and standard edition. I hear the HDR is quite good. Also is there any other DB media in 4K anywhere?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:36 am

Bloodthroe wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:08 pm Bumping this thread, because I would like to know if anyone can give an indepth comparison of the 4K release and standard edition. I hear the HDR is quite good. Also is there any other DB media in 4K anywhere?
I'm not a video expert, but I'm sure there are others here who would be able to give a detailed examination.

There are no other 4K Dragon Ball releases, but I'd expect them in the near future, particularly for the newer movies, and I think the older movies and the Dragon Ball Z series (for better or for worse I do think we will see an UHD equivalent of the season sets) will follow at some point.

Speaking of 4K, it's just been announced for Crunchyroll France, so presumably an English-friendly release will follow, as it would just require tweaks to an already authored disc.