Characters Being Called Out Much More Often.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Characters Being Called Out Much More Often.

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:27 pm

I personally believe that several characters from absolutely all of Dragon Ball as a whole should have been called out much more often than they had been in canon. Especially with absolutely all of the stupid decisions several of the protagonists and antagonists had made throughout Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball Super, and Dragon Ball GT.

And with several of the Saiyans being some of the absolute biggest contenders.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: Characters Being Called Out Much More Often.

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:56 pm

Maybe in the form of a straight man calling out all the stupidity and insanity happening around him, but nothing like a serious moment because that may spoil the momentum IMO.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:34 pm

I dunno, I think that there's interesting story, character and battle material to be had by seriously tackling the bullshit that the main cast of characters partake in. I would love to see that sort of meta-criticism tackled by a story arc. Make it a real curveball to the usual Dragon Ball nonsense.
She/Her๐Ÿ’• ๐Ÿ’œ ๐Ÿ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:11 am

I have to say, that's something I'd like to see in DB. The series featuring someone who truly has the gumption to follow through on calling out the cast for their incredibly questionable decisions. I mean, I know Bulma has sometimes been depicted as this, but it's like the series never truly follows through on it.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:16 am

They are being called out during the Shadow dragons saga in GT.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:41 pm

As someone who is starting to view the cast as dysfunctional and terrifying as the Greek gods, I would definitely find some catharsis in this. But I don't see it changing anything. It would just elicit a "you're damn right" from people like me.

Imagine these fools lording this much power and influence over us in real life.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:38 pm

Dragon Ball is critical of gods and capitalism, perhaps we should see Gokuu and friends now as part of that system due to their rising power?
She/Her๐Ÿ’• ๐Ÿ’œ ๐Ÿ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:55 pm

JulieYBM wrote: โ†‘Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:38 pm Dragon Ball is critical of gods and capitalism, perhaps we should see Gokuu and friends now as part of that system due to their rising power?
I think so. The decisions they make tend to effect the entire world - the universe even.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:09 pm

It would definitely be a breath of fresh air to see an arc that deliberately and surgically picks out every flaw the Dragon Team has, alongside the power and words to back it up. Make it a tragedy or drama, or at least something that doesn't getaudiences divided when it is just the usual DB pop junk with colourful new forms. It'd certainly force the writers to develop them as better rounded characters if they want audiences to like it. On the other hand, it's not like the franchise has never touched upon deconstructing the actions of our heroes, with the aforementioned Shadow Dragons arc as well as the more recent Future Trunks arc (aka Zamasu) basically chastising Goku for fueling the villain's motivation, and to a lesser extent the Moro and Granolah arcs at the very least attempted to recontextualise the events caused by both Vegeta and the Saiyans respectively by having things that have their backs be bitten back after years of seemingly being forgotten about. Though as I've said, they would have to develop these characters in a meaningful and long term manner, and unfortunately that alongside other factors gave most of those arcs very divisive responses amongst the fandom.

At the same time, I feel that they should not go overboard ala bad gritty superhero deconstructions. Its not like the fanbase will react well when they say that, all along, Goku is a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad person who enjoys fighting at the cost of everyone surrounding him. And it would most certainly make the franchise become seen as overly stuffy and pretentious by the masses if it relies on it as a crutch, having a fanbase that feels kinda scary and intimidating to be a part of.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:52 pm

Right after Moro was finally defeated, Krillin should have drop kicked Goku in the face. No you call him out the first time for giving an enemy a senzu. Second time he does it, make sure he's so drained of energy that he can't even summon basic super saiyan: then kick his ass.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:38 pm

FoolsGil wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:52 pm Right after Moro was finally defeated, Krillin should have drop kicked Goku in the face. No you call him out the first time for giving an enemy a senzu. Second time he does it, make sure he's so drained of energy that he can't even summon basic super saiyan: then kick his ass.
I completely and utterly agree with you about Son Goku needing to be called out for giving a Senzu Bean to Piccolo Junior, Perfect Cell, and Planet-Eater Moro (Seven-Three Absorbed), FoolsGil. But I really think that Vegeta and Son Gohan should have been called out as well.

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:21 pm

FoolsGil wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:52 pm Right after Moro was finally defeated, Krillin should have drop kicked Goku in the face. No you call him out the first time for giving an enemy a senzu. Second time he does it, make sure he's so drained of energy that he can't even summon basic super saiyan: then kick his ass.
Bravo! This is great. Kick his ass! *DROPKICK*

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:19 am

Steven Bloodriver wrote: โ†‘Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:38 pm
I completely and utterly agree with you about Son Goku needing to be called out for giving a Senzu Bean to Piccolo Junior, Perfect Cell, and Planet-Eater Moro (Seven-Three Absorbed), FoolsGil. But I really think that Vegeta and Son Gohan should have been called out as well.
Why was it wrong to give Piccolo Jr. a senzu?

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:34 pm

Ashur wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:19 am
It is because of the facts that Piccolo Junior is the son and the reincarnation of Piccolo Daimaล who had threatened to defeat and then kill Son Goku in the 23rd Budokai before taking over the whole world just like how Piccolo Daimaล had done so before him.

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:27 am

Steven Bloodriver wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:34 pm
Ashur wrote: โ†‘Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:19 am
It is because of the facts that Piccolo Junior is the son and the reincarnation of Piccolo Daimaล who had threatened to defeat and then kill Son Goku in the 23rd Budokai before taking over the whole world just like how Piccolo Daimaล had done so before him.
yeah but he was already beaten, goku proved he could beat Piccolo alone and in a fair match, so it would have been stupid for him to keep fighting at that point, it was useful to keep him alive because of the dragon balls, not to mention it would kill kami sama, a good fellow, so it was a better alternative than leave him for dead.

What goku should be called out for was letting vegeta escape for no reason other than wanting to fight him again (it wasn't even pity likre with nappa, the ginyu force or frieza) but even goku admitted it was a selfish request so calling him out on it wouldn't change anything, he knows.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:26 pm

JulieYBM wrote: โ†‘Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:38 pm Dragon Ball is critical of gods and capitalism, perhaps we should see Gokuu and friends now as part of that system due to their rising power?
I like that this series is critical of gods. The Greek Gods being perfect examples of why people should be critical of them.as BWri mentioned.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:00 am

Hulk10 wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:26 pm
I like that this series is critical of gods. The Greek Gods being perfect examples of why people should be critical of them.as BWri mentioned.
Holding truth to power is a theme that I love seeing explored in art. I hope Dragon Ball continues to become more biting of this. We know that Toriyama was familiar with Kamen Rider Black due to this interview. It kind of makes me wonder if he has seen Kamen Rider Black Sun, which is very critical of power. Drawing more inspiration from that would be really exciting to see play out.
She/Her๐Ÿ’• ๐Ÿ’œ ๐Ÿ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:17 pm

JulieYBM wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:00 am
Hulk10 wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:26 pm
Holding truth to power is a theme that I love seeing explored in art. I hope Dragon Ball continues to become more biting of this. We know that Toriyama was familiar with Kamen Rider Black due to this interview. It kind of makes me wonder if he has seen Kamen Rider Black Sun, which is very critical of power. Drawing more inspiration from that would be really exciting to see play out.
I love characters that have power comparable to that of a god when they aren't gods themselves like Hulk.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.