[Post-Cell Saga/MCU] "The Bojack Saga" (Gohan's Far From Home arc)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mrfrankyg4

[Post-Cell Saga/MCU] "The Bojack Saga" (Gohan's Far From Home arc)

Post by mrfrankyg4 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:36 pm

This post is in connection to my previous one: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47615&p=1752967#p1752967

You can read that for background information.

So here is the first of the two mini-sagas, The Bojack Saga (Influence will be taken from Far from Home) :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s been a few weeks since Cell died. For him to have a change of pace, Chi-Chi signed Gohan up for Orange Star Middle School. Gohan is happy to be enrolled in order to further his education and he also wants to take a break from his fighting days. For him, it's brought nothing but pain and destruction. With Cell gone, to him, the threats to earth are over.

…..Or so he believes.

Once in a while, there are small local threats but Gohan ignores them.

(So this is the start of his arc in this saga: Gohan’s putting up a brave face to hide the anguish he feels from what happened at the Cell Games. He doesn’t feel worthy to uphold the mantle of Earth’s protector, due to his mistakes and indirectly causing Goku’s death. )

Eventually, he meets Videl and her friends- who soon become his. He gets to know her the same way as in canon-her fiery spirit meshing well with his calm demeanor- leading to a great bond. Though they confide in each other, Gohan is reluctant to share the Saiyan side of him, for fear of her ostracizing him. She tells him that her goal is to be a crime fighter in order to protect people, leaving Gohan with a dilemma. His dilemma is whether should he neglect his own wants for the call of duty- and if someone as powerless as Videl wants to make a difference, shouldn't he, with all of his abilities?

At one point, she attempts to thwart a robbery and it almost succeeds- until they bring in automatic weapons. Near the area, Gohan quickly transforms into a SS to disguise himself and dispatches them quickly. Videl realizes where she's recognized him: he was the delivery boy from the Cell Games!

Always believing in some way that her father was lying about his victory over Cell, she demands the truth from Gohan as to who did it. Gohan looked down at the ground, ashamed of what he was about to say. "Videl," he whispered, "I killed Cell." Videl's eyes widened in disbelief and she stepped back from Gohan. She felt like she had been punched in the gut. Gohan was always so gentle and kind; it was hard to believe that he could be capable of something so violent. Gohan took a deep breath before answering. "He was going to destroy the world," he said solemnly. "I couldn't let that happen." Videl considered his words for a moment before asking another question. "But why didn't you tell me sooner?" she asked him, her voice trembling. Gohan shook his head sadly. "I didn't want you to think less of your dad," he admitted.

Now knowing the truth, Videl takes the day off to process this, leaving Gohan saddened and pondering his choices. A day later, Gohan goes back to school, but there is no sign of Videl. A group of mysterious beings arrives on Earth. A gang of galaxy soldiers led by their bloodthirsty leader, Bojack. They arrive in Satan City, demanding the subjugation of the citizens of earth.

(I wanted to add this element from Loki in Avengers and put it into the otherwise bland gang called "Galaxy Soldiers". Their goal is to enslave earth and enforce their own rules onto them, wanting to spread their Hera dominance.)

Being the only one on the scene, Gohan rushes to the scene and confronts the gang. He tries to reason with them to leave, but they're too adamant about their goals. With that, a couple of them charge at Gohan who's able to handle his opponents... But as he's fighting, Bojack notices an immense power within Gohan that makes him slightly tremble cautiously.

As Gohan knocks them away, he turns his attention onto the rest of the gang. But before Gohan can do anything, Bojack's henchmen (Bujin and Bido) suddenly used his energy paralysis technique, immobilizing Gohan in midair. Gohan tries to fight against the paralysis, but it's too strong. Gohan's ki was weakening with each passing second. He could feel Bojack's energy paralyzing him, sapping all of his strength. He tried to summon what little power he had left to launch an attack, but it was no use. Bojack advanced on him, grinning maliciously.

Gohan attempts to power up but Bojack stops him. Bojack enters Gohan's subconscious and sees a Great Ape, a representation of the hidden power he sensed earlier. Not one to be outdone, he suppresses it, weakening Gohan.

(I've taken inspiration from Naruto Shippuden. The instance where Sasuke entered Naruto's mind to suppress the Nine-Tail's power. In this case, the Great Ape construct represents Gohan's hidden rage/power. This will pay off later on.)

Before he can kill Gohan, Piccolo jumps in and releases Gohan from their grasp. Using a distraction, he manages to gain some separation between the enemy and Gohan as they escape the city. Taking him to Kami's Lookout, he has Dende tending to his wounds. As he wakes up Gohan explains the threat they're facing now. But Piccolo notices something wrong with his pupil.

Piccolo: "What's going on kid?"

Gohan somberly confesses."Everywhere I go, I'm reminded of that day. I keep picturing my father's face right before he teleported Cell away to sacrifice himself and it was all my fault. I know he wants me to take his place to protect earth...but I don't know if that's me, Piccolo... I'm not my dad! " He bows his head in shame as a few tears escape his eyes.

Nodding in understanding, Piccolo finally speaks up. "Listen to me Gohan. You're not your father, and you never will be. Nobody could live up to Goku, not even himself. He may have been a great fighter, but he wasn't without his flaws either. In fact, he was a mess at times. But what I know for sure is that he always had faith in you, and so do I. So you don't have to be like him. You must carve out your own path. You're Son Gohan. And that is your true strength."

Gohan tilts his head up at Piccolo, in awe at his inspiring words. Suddenly, a new fire burned in Gohan's chest. All his determination and resolve came rushing back as a weight is lifted off his shoulders. With a determined smile, he shook off the long-standing self-doubt that's been crippling him.

Gohan then informs Dende to call in all of the z-fighters to the lookout (Trunks, Tien, Yamcha, Krillin, Android 17 and 18). Once they all arrive, Gohan informs them of the threat and forms a plan to take them all down. As Gohan takes the center court, Piccolo could only look on in pride as his once meek indecisive pupil becomes a confident leader.

(Since Gohan is the only one to have had experience combating them, I feel it makes sense to have him plan out the strategy to beat them, as he's seen their abilities firsthand. It also sets him apart from Goku by collaborating differently with the team, and shapes him up to become his own lead.)

Once everybody knows what to do, Gohan powers up but is only able to access his first SS form and feels his hidden power blocked. Though nervous, he steels himself. "It'll have to do!"

Everyone separates and flies to various cities where they sense the evil kis of the Galaxy Soldiers who've been terrorizing various populations around the world. As everyone knows how their opponent's techniques work, climactic battles ensue with battles between their respective opponents intertwined. Tien and Yamcha team up, and Krillin and Piccolo fight theirs as well. Trunks ends up dueling the second/third strongest fighters alone. He does well until they use their ki paralysis technique on him. He's almost left facing imminent death until Vegeta saves him.

Gohan makes his way to Satan City where he sees Bojack on top of a building.

Now with his guard up and resolve returned, Gohan and Bojack battle. Surprisingly, they are now evenly matched! Bojack's ruthlessness and experience make him a formidable foe, forcing Gohan to get creative with his attacks and out-think him.

As the fearsome battle rages on, Videl is witnessing the brutality up above as she's doing her best to help the frantic citizens escape the area. But as she sees Gohan struggling to protect them, she views him in a different light. His courage, strength, and determination are now all on display for her to realize...he truly is the savior of earth! She cheers him on from the sidelines.

Eventually, Gohan manages to gain the upper hand and leaves Bojack incapacitated.

(I nerfed Gohan temporarily here so that he learns not to rely on overpowering his enemies and being cocky. This is the first time he has to rely on his ingenuity and skills to gain the upper hand on an equally powered opponent. By becoming self-reliant and finally trusting in himself to handle his own battles, he finally comes out of his shell and becomes independent.)

He tells him to stand down and leave while he has a chance. Shocked and bewildered at having been bested by a child and his plans ruined, Bojack angrily defies Gohan's offer! Loading up one hand with the rest of his ki, he stabs himself in the heart- choosing to die on the battlefield.

Gohan is perplexed as he silently processes. As he almost collapses in exhaustion, Videl appears out of nowhere to hold him up. Shocked at her assistance, he is nevertheless happy to see his friend again.

Videl tells him she almost didn't believe what he told her about Cell, until now. Ultimately, she forgives him and accepts him for who he is. Gohan happily accepts and they're back to where they were, though without any more secrets!

Once they've patched things up, Gohan chooses to help Videl assist with cleaning up the city and rescuing anybody stuck in the wreckage. As he does this, he finds a new sense of purpose. To become a hero in a way that honors his father, but more importantly - himself.

(Meanwhile, somewhere deep in space are planets exploding-one after another. A population is being terrorized, but we don't see the assailant. We merely see the alien citizens look up in despair at this unknown entity as we hear maniacal laughter as the planet explodes. )

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this, the mini-saga ends!

So to sum up, Gohan starts out the story like this: meek, unsure, not wanting to embrace who he is or if he could live up to the legacy of his father.

But with all of the events that passed in this arc, he emerges a more confident, secure boy with a sense of purpose. He realizes he needs to carve out his own path. Going to school and meeting Videl, forced him to question himself inwardly. The conversation with Piccolo erased any insecurities about living up to Goku and is what set him on the path of becoming his own person. The threat of Bojack was his first test of handling a threat without of father.

A lot of growth happening for Gohan!

What do you guys think?