Toriyama and Toyotaro are bad at writing female characters/female Warriors

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Toriyama and Toyotaro are bad at writing female characters/female Warriors

Post by Peril » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:50 pm

Chichi is ridiculously insufferable when she doesn't have to be. Her gags are starting to make her look like an abusive spouse more than anything. I thought after she had Goten she might loosen up. But nnnope. :yawn:

But what annoys me more than anything is that if toyo and tori are too incompetent to write women, they also seem too stubborn to seek consultation. Like wow just ask someone, ask a family member if you have to.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:56 pm

Peril wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:50 pm Chichi is ridiculously insufferable when she doesn't have to be. Her gags are starting to make her look like an abusive spouse more than anything. I thought after she had Goten she might loosen up. But nnnope. :yawn:

But what annoys me more than anything is that if toyo and tori are too incompetent to write women, they also seem too stubborn to seek consultation. Like wow just ask someone, ask a family member if you have to.
Bold of you to assume a sexist man has the humility to critically think about his beliefs
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:08 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:56 pm
Peril wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:50 pm Chichi is ridiculously insufferable when she doesn't have to be. Her gags are starting to make her look like an abusive spouse more than anything. I thought after she had Goten she might loosen up. But nnnope. :yawn:

Bold of you to assume a sexist man has the humility to critically think about his beliefs
Fortune favors the bold.

Must be hard being super rich, working for a super rich company and not be able to hire a feminist consultant.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:42 pm

I noticed somewhere about there is a Gine appreciation thread. Safe to say I'm neutral leaning slight negative on her. She doesn't leave an impression. She is just "female." Yep Goku was given birth to by a female. And now we see her. It all checks out. Good job Toriyama, here is your check.

My complaint has more to do with her looks. Toriyama really dropped the ball with Gine's design. I don't even see any of Goku or Raditz in her. Its like he didn't try. Its like if he created Trunks and Vegeta first, then designed Bulma but Bulma just looked like Mai

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:28 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:44 pm because goten does not contribute anything... goku and gohan are stronger than him and they are alive....
that's not an excuse... this shows what chichi would do in a normal situation
Chi Chi shows how she acts like a normal person in the Buu Saga, accepting her son and husband likes to train and fight.

Goten can't contribute anything, since Chi Chi forbids it in DBS.

Goten dies thanks to Chi Chi rules, even knowing that still nothing. Chi Chi wants Goten to be weak.
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:44 pm then she contributed almost nothing ... even gohan could have been taught
trunks beat him not having any martial skills
gohan taught him to fly at least ...
Gohan wasn't training, when he was studying. How would Gohan teach Goten?

You are seriously downplaying Chi Chi skills, Master Roshi of all people was impressed with Chi Chi skills.

Trunks learned from Vegeta, we are told Trunks and Vegeta are normally training.
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:44 pm with that you prove me right
No it doesn't the fact that Chi Chi trained with Goten, while Gohan studied proved you wrong. Chi Chi trained and taught Goten to fight, even when no money was involved.
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:44 pm that's not any evidence...
playing with trunks... has always been allowed until now...
goten went to protect the island of android 17 without any problem
The fact Chi Chi trained with Goten, while Gohan studied is all the evidence I need. It doesn't matter how weak or unskilled you think she is.
Money was not involved at all but training and fighting was allowed.
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:44 pm to a certain extent yes... but what is meant by chichi sees it as something that is goku's responsibility... "it's his job" and the children is to study... that's what she says
we don't know if goten helped after she left.... which is likely if goten was taking care of island
Sorry but the fact that Chi Chi wanted to force and forced Piccolo and Krillin to do Goku "responsibility and his job" show you are wrong.

Chi Chi doesn't want Goten to compete with his father, even if it is friendly.
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:44 pm if the issue is to encourage goku with training ... need someone stronger like gohan ...
goten has trunks who is more than his level
Goku was willing to spar with anyone, Chi Chi however see it wrong for Goten to spar with his father.

Goten training with Goku would result in higher gains and learn more skills, than training with Trunks who has similar power and similar skills.

Chi Chi wasn't thinking about power gains at all.
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:44 pm it is allowed to play with trunks ... and take care of the island of monsters
You ignore that Chi Chi trained Goten in the Buu Saga.
We never see Goku ask permission from Chi Chi for Goten to go to Monster Island.

Chi Chi doesn't know Goten and Trunks were training at Bulma place.
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:44 pm and yet we see pan train with piccolo ...
Because of Videl choice, Gohan wasn't part of making any choice. Gohan as a dad was powerless, he had no authority at all. It was Videl, Bulma and Chi Chi who were allowed to choose to let Pan train.

Gohan wasn't the one who had the power to authorise Pan to train with Piccolo.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:24 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:08 pm

Fortune favors the bold.

Must be hard being super rich, working for a super rich company and not be able to hire a feminist consultant.
I'm pretty sure it was really hard working on Dragon Ball and only getting 20 minute of sleep over the span of 6 days. Let's not forget that Toriyama deserves were he is now.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:24 am

Fortune favors the bold.

I'm pretty sure it was really hard working on Dragon Ball and only getting 20 minute of sleep over the span of 6 days. Let's not forget that Toriyama deserves were he is now.

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:16 am

I don't think its really an issue of then. Its now that people are peeved about. Tori has his money and time now. He has the leisure to adapt but chooses to stay the same.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:40 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:24 am

Fortune favors the bold.

Toriyama had the money to quit at any time, just like he and Shueisha had the money to hire a consultant to make sure they weren't being horribly offensive in their depictions of women.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:30 pm

Its funny to me how nobody has even brought up Yurin. I straight up hate her, don't know what was trying to be accomplished with her, but I hope I never see her again.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:44 pm

Peril wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:30 pm Its funny to me how nobody has even brought up Yurin. I straight up hate her, don't know what was trying to be accomplished with her, but I hope I never see her again.
Neither Toriyama nor Toyo-tarou wrote Yuurin, so that's probably why the subject of her role in Dragon Ball Super has not be brought up. On the subject of Yuurin, I find her treatment in the story very abysmal given the context of her treatment.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:02 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:44 pm
Peril wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:30 pm Its funny to me how nobody has even brought up Yurin. I straight up hate her, don't know what was trying to be accomplished with her, but I hope I never see her again.
Neither Toriyama nor Toyo-tarou wrote Yuurin, so that's probably why the subject of her role in Dragon Ball Super has not be brought up. On the subject of Yuurin, I find her treatment in the story very abysmal given the context of her treatment.
Oooh...the fact that she was written by Toei (or whoever) and not Tori or Toy makes it even worse. I can't stand how she can't even read lol. Apparently was trained by the crane hermit, has a supposed history with Tien but she acts like a dumb brat teenager who can't escape the clutches of an old pervert. Why...exist...? What random writer insisted she needed to be a thing?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:22 pm

Peril wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:02 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:44 pm
Oooh...the fact that she was written by Toei (or whoever) and not Tori or Toy makes it even worse. I can't stand how she can't even read lol. Apparently was trained by the crane hermit, has a supposed history with Tien but she acts like a dumb brat teenager who can't escape the clutches of an old pervert. Why...exist...? What random writer insisted she needed to be a thing?
Dragon Ball Super Episode #89 "A Mysterious Beauty Appears! The Tenshin-Style Dojo’s Mystery?!" was written by Fukushima Yoshifumi. Series Directors Nagamine Tatsuya and Nakamura Ryouta would typically be involved in all aspects of production but for these big franchise series ideas can often come from producers or members of the production committees. Toriyama would also be a supervisor for the series but there's no clear idea of who exactly would be entirely responsible for the decision to write the character in such a way to essentially exist for the Muten Roushi to attempt to sexually assault. Clearly anyone in a top position on the project didn't think it was a bad idea to depict—in a television series aimed at children—Yuurin being sexually harassed and assaulted by the Muten Roushi with no real consequences coming to the Muten Roushi or message sent to children that the acts he was perpetuating were horrific and wrong. We can blame the script, the storyboard (by Ochi Kazuhiro), the episode director (Hiroshima Hideki) and the two aforementioned series directors from putting down a foot and saying "we're not doing this".
She/Her
bisexual milf

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:05 am

I think both the manga and the anime handle female characters pretty badly... and I genuinely think SDBH has better female characters, which is sad when you think they can do better than Toriyama himself.

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:15 pm

There are many characters on the outer limits of canon that I know nothing about. Like Towa. Is she important enough to care about how she is portrayed? Also what about Mai in these recent chapters in the manga? Or even her past self?

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:38 pm

Peril wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:15 pm There are many characters on the outer limits of canon that I know nothing about. Like Towa. Is she important enough to care about how she is portrayed? Also what about Mai in these recent chapters in the manga? Or even her past self?
I'd say Towa is important overall. She's the de facto leader of the Time Breakers (Mira holds the actual position but he's also explicitly a creation of Towa's), which makes her the main Big Bad of the Time Patrollers, and the more recurring too. Aside from her, I think there's Aios, Chronoa's predecessor as the Kaioshin of Time, but I know little of her as a character.

As for Mai, as far as I remember she was the most mature and professional of the Pilaf Gang, so not much seems to have changed from when she was a villain.

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:07 pm

Thani wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:38 pm
Peril wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:15 pm There are many characters on the outer limits of canon that I know nothing about. Like Towa. Is she important enough to care about how she is portrayed? Also what about Mai in these recent chapters in the manga? Or even her past self?
I'd say Towa is important overall. She's the de facto leader of the Time Breakers (Mira holds the actual position but he's also explicitly a creation of Towa's), which makes her the main Big Bad of the Time Patrollers, and the more recurring too. Aside from her, I think there's Aios, Chronoa's predecessor as the Kaioshin of Time, but I know little of her as a character.

As for Mai, as far as I remember she was the most mature and professional of the Pilaf Gang, so not much seems to have changed from when she was a villain.
I like Mai but I find her a tad, I hate using this word, problematic. Why? Well when we first see her in reintroduction as a teenager why does she seem so depressed and listless? Is she upset that she is basically a parentless child worker in Bulma's robot sweatshop? Suffering an existential crisis because she is a 60 year old adult in the body of a child, and doesn't know how to proceed with her life?

Nah, she is sad because she still misses future Trunks. And being reminded of him renews her spark for life. Its just weird and lame. It was probably meant to be a joke but it came off more worrying than anything. And her will to live was literally connected to some dude she met once when she was physically still 9-12 or something. Was she suffering that whole time? So weird.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:48 pm

Dragon Ball characters in general don't have much depth to them, that's just not the type of series Dragon Ball is.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:28 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:48 pm Dragon Ball characters in general don't have much depth to them, that's just not the type of series Dragon Ball is.
Depth is not limited merely to the creator's intention. Art does not exist in a vacuum and Dragon Ball is no exception to the rule. Saying "Dragon Ball isn't the type of series to..." artificially limits the Overton Window of discussion while brushing aside legitimate grievances from parties affected by the message a work of art puts out there into the world.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:46 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:28 pm
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:48 pm Dragon Ball characters in general don't have much depth to them, that's just not the type of series Dragon Ball is.
Depth is not limited merely to the creator's intention. Art does not exist in a vacuum and Dragon Ball is no exception to the rule. Saying "Dragon Ball isn't the type of series to..." artificially limits the Overton Window of discussion while brushing aside legitimate grievances from parties affected by the message a work of art puts out there into the world.
Why does everyone rush to this excuse. Even with the amount of dislike Super in general has gotten. Surely some complaints are valid. I'm sorry but "turn your brain off, loser" is never going to be an acceptable response.