My Definitive Dragon Ball Video Game Power Ranking

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

My Definitive Dragon Ball Video Game Power Ranking

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:57 am

here is my power ranking from 45 to 1 - North America releases only -

F RANK -
45) Dragon Ball Evolution – 2009 – PSP
44) Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Battle 22 – PS1 – 2003
43) Dragon Ball GT Final Bout – PS1 - 1997
42) Dragon Ball Z Kinect – 2012 – Xbox 360
41) Dragon Ball Z: Legends - PS1 / Sega Saturn - 1997

Dragon Ball Evolution was an abomination . From someone that saw the movie in theatres 3x, the game on PSP was somehow as bad, if not worst. A movie tie-in with minimal to zero effort.

Dragon Ball Ultimate Battle 22 was an exciting PS1 game in the States. We saw the Japanese game came out years earlier, and a lot of people would import a copy to play a Dragon Ball Z game. The game is hard to look at, and harder to play unfortunately. It came to the states finally many years later, when no one really cared anymore.

Dragon Ball GT Final Bout was another possibility in the States. It was imported for years, and got the 1st US release of the PS1 trio games. Although the models might appear slightly better than Ultimate Battle 22, the gameplay is terrible. A common theme with both of these games is the lack of control, speed and responsiveness of these fighting games. We were nice years ago, but this is another that is just straight bad.

Dragon Ball Z Kinect was a response to all of the motion gaming happening at the time. Between the Wii and Sony Playstation Move, Microsoft made it’s push into the motion gaming with Kinect. Some people might have enjoyed aspects of these games, but I found them all to be pretty painful and unresponsive. Dragon Ball Z Kinect was the predictable DBZ motion controlled game. I played out of curiosity and found out first hand what a poor experience this was. If it made you smile for 5 seconds when you did a Kamehameha then I am happy for you. But this was a bad video game.

Dragon Ball Z: Legends was a much different early DBZ game than UB22 or Final Bout. Instead of 1 v 1 slow combat, it was a 3 on 3 style combat with much quicker gameplay and combat. It did some interesting things with 2D sprites in a 3D field, and you got to play through the DBZ story line, as well as use special moves. But the game like the other PS1 entries, does not ever feel like it did anything particularly well. It was probably my favorite of the PS1 games, but not saying much. I think nostalgia makes us remember this game more fondly, because early America DBZ fans were hungry for video games.

D RANK -
40) Dragon Ball Z Sagas – GC/PS2/Xbox - 2005
39) Dragon Ball Z Taiketsu – 2003 – GBA
38) Dragon Ball Z Legendary Super Warriors – 2002 - GBC
37) Dragon Ball Supersonic Warriors – 2004 - GBA
36) Dragon Ball Z Supersonic Warriors 2 – 2005 DS
35) Dragon Ball Z Shin Budokai – PSP – 2006
34) Dragon Ball Z Shin Budokai Another Road – PSP - 2007
33) Dragon Ball Z Harukanaru Densetsu – 2007 – DS

Dragon Ball Z Sagas was such an exciting prospect in 2005. First off, it was not a 2D fighting game, like 90% of what we were given thus far. Also, it was going to be a 2 player cooperative experiences. Even the graphics did not seem like they would be that bad. Unfortunately, the promises and hopes were just that, and never amounted to a good video game. The frustrating part is it had a lot of good ideas. And with more testing, polish and work this could have been an okay video game. But travling through these levels was not fun. The combat and traversal was clunky. You never had good control and the movesets/combos were lacking. I remember this game fondly as I enjoyed playing with a friend through DBZ for the first time. But the game took many liberties, and never ended up being anything but a below average wonky experience.

Taiketsu on the GBA if I recall was one of the first portable DBZ games. It was a marvel to see DBZ characters on the GBA but that does not excuse what is now a bad video game. Graphics were poor and the combat did not feel authentic or fun.
Dragon Ball Legendary Super Warriors was a bad video game. It was the type of game you expected on the GB or GBC. The characters, menus and fonts all felt like what was capable at the time. It was ambitious in what it sets out to do, but overall is a bad video game. I give it a few spots, probably just for it’s early release and Game Boy Color time period. But this is not a fun game.

Dragon Ball Supersonic Warriors on the GBA was what I remember to be an okay video game and series. But again nostalgia plays tricks on us. I had played several hours of this game back in the day and remembered it being fine. But we had not gotten many good experiences on the portable yet and I think we were just hungry. This game gave us a small roster to play 1 on 1 battles, but it still felt slow. Better than PS1 games, but not saying much. Still not capturing the feeling of the show by far.

Supersonic Warriors 2 did a few more things than the original, but still felt clunky in battle. Upgrades and characters were welcomed, but the core game was still not fun. Floating around in the sky shooting ki blasts and punching/kicking was still not very fun.

Shin Budokai 1 and 2 felt like cheap Budokai knock offs. The sequel was slighly better with character roster and options, but still a poor man’s game. The PSP never really got a good DBZ game as you’ll continue to see. I played these games and never really enjoyed myself or the visual style they were trying to mimic on the smaller screen.

Dragon Ball Z Harukanaru Densetsu was another portable game that failed. The dual screen and card system was unique for the time. But the main board game screen, and battle system never really felt good. I think it was imitating the early SNES japanese games, but I always found this to be a board game/role playing system that never worked. It gets points for cleaner DS visuals and ambition.

More to come!

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Re: My Definitive Dragon Ball Video Game Power Ranking

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:18 pm

C RANK -
32) Dragon Ball Z Collectible Card Game – 2002 – GBA
31) Dragon Ball Tenkaichi Tag Team – 2010 - PSP
30) Super Dragon Ball Heroes World Mission – 2019 – Switch/PC
29) Dragon Ball GT Transformation – 2005 - GBA
28) Dragon Ball Origins 2 – 2010 – DS
27) Super Dragon Ball Z – PS2 – 2006
26) Dragon Ball Origins – 2008 - DS
25) Dragon Ball Z Extreme Butoden – 2015 - 3DS
24) Dragon Ball Z Infinite World – 2008 – PS2
23) Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Tenkaichi – 2011 – PS3/Xbox 360
22) Dragon Ball Z Budokai HD Collection – 2012 – PS3/Xbox 360

Dragon Ball Z Collectible Card Game was a cool idea at the time. There are now many DBZ card based video games, and actual deck based card games. This was the first in video game form. I had a nice DBZ card collection and this game was a cool way to play them in video game form. Unfortunately due to either GBA limitations or poor game design, the menus and systems were not that fun. I remember logging a few hours into this game before getting frustrated or bored.

Dragon Ball Tenkaichi Tag Team on the PSP was the closest thing to an okay game on the PSP. Like the Shin Budokai series, it takes the console games, in this case the Tenkaichi games and tries to transfer it to a handheld system. Unfortunately it doesn’t look or feel very good. Maybe for a battle or two but I know first-hand this game was not what fans were hoping for. It never works out when they take the console games and try to translate to the less powerful handhelds.

Super Dragon Ball Heroes World Mission is probably a game that just doesn’t click with me. First off, I don’t love the Heroes multiverse stories/characters. Also the gameplay feels very mobile or “gotcha” feeling. A lot of the elements feel random, and the graphics/art style feel like they could be better or more interesting. I paid full price for this game on the switch as I was currently looking for a game to play, and fully regret this purchase. I know people like this game, and it’s not all bad, so I stuck it at #30 out of 45. But I do not think this makes for a compelling/fun video game.

Dragon Ball GT Transformation on the GBA was not a bad game. It was a GT period beat em up. DBZ should/could get a few more beat em ups and I wouldn’t mind. The first problem is that it takes place in GT, the unanimously worst era of Dragon Ball. Also a lot of the enemies were not interesting and made for the game. Fighting, bugs, robots and random enemies on a handheld by yourself as Pan/Trunks/Chibi Goku was fun for a little bit. And even the visuals were not awful. But it easily becomes forgotten for good reason.

Dragon Ball Origins 2 is the sequel to the 2008 role playing adventure game. The DS graphics were not terrible. They were actually decent. And the idea of a game in the Dragon Ball era is always exciting to me. But the stylus/touch controls were not fun. Also fighting animals in the woods, then Red Ribbon robots/baddies was not fun. This is for me the least interesting time period of Dragon Ball, and the game did not help enhance much from original game.

Super Dragon Ball Z on the PS2 was as very exciting game proposition. It was sold to us that “Street Fighter” devs were working on a fighting DBZ game. I was upset that it was locked onto the PS2, as I was using the gamecube for multiplaftorm games at the time. But I was quickly relieved when the graphical art style was more cel shaded and outlined. It didn’t look bad actually. But the gameplay was not what we were hoping. It was actually pretty lousy. It almost seems like a marginal upgrade from the PS1 fighting games. The roster was not very large, but again the combat failed to feel fast or authentic. It felt technical, yes, but slow and clunky compared to games we had played thus far.

Dragon Ball Origins on the DS was a game I very much looked forward to. It starts from the beginning and goes through the 1st Martial Arts Tournament. Meeting Yamcha, Bulma, Puar, Roshi and Oolong as well as battling Pilaf. It was unique at the time, so points for graphics, unique game, and presentation. But it is not a great video game by any means. Nothing I’d want to replay.

Dragon Ball Z Extreme Butoden was a hard one for me to place. It has a decent roster and decent graphics on the 3DS. This game is only a few years old, and I think what holds this game back is that it very similar to other portable fighting games. This feels like a sequel to the early GBA fighting games that were minimalist in scope. This of course has special moves, and the newest characters from Dragon Ball Super. But I never found the gameplay to be particularly fun.

Dragon Ball Z Infinite World was what I believe to be the final PS2 DBZ game. It was almost a culmination of the Budokai games. I always thought of the game as a cash grab by throwing together a ton of content, characters and options. Starting with Budokai 3 we started to get an “open world” type in between combat. This pushed that further with areas to explore collecting items in familiar DBZ areas. Unfortunately no aspect of these options felt particularly fascinating to me. The menus, hub world, exploration, was all just ehh to me. I think I was over the art style, combat and PS2 era games at this point. To give it it’s merit it did have a huge roster, and tons of transformations. It had a lot of what fans were asking for. But I felt like it had an identity crisis.

Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Tenkaichi on the 360/PS3 is not a bad game. Being at the top of the C ranking is maybe a little cruel. At this point I had grown stale of the Tenkaichi format. This game was all about this rush chain attacks and combos. And I never particularly liked the combat. And this rush/combos were essential to the game. Maybe you liked it more but I never enjoyed this video game, but respect it is a polished and good looking game.

Dragon Ball Z Budokai HD Collection – I was torn to put this in bottom of B ranking or top of C and settled in C ranking. This collection came out 8 years after Budokai 3 came out, and when it released, I had such a fun memory of these games, but revisiting Budokai 1 and 3 was not as fun as I thought it would be. It was a full 10 years since Budokai came out. The “HD” remasters of these games were cleaned up a bit, but warts showed up that weren’t present originally. We wanted more from a DBZ game by 2012. I picked this game up and played it for a few hours. But I quickly realized I had sunk enough hours in these games respectively. But I still put it at 22 for those that experienced this game and never played the Budokai games. Would’ve been nice if they included the weakest Budokai 2 as well.

More to come!

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:55 am

B RANK -
21) Dragon Ball Fusions – 2016 - 3DS
20) Dragon Ball Legacy Of Goku – 2002 – GBA
19) Dragon Ball Z Budokai 2 - PS2/GC - 2003
18) Dragon Ball Raging Blast – 2009 – PS3/Xbox 360
17) Dragon Ball Z Buu’s Fury – 2004 - GBA
16) Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi – PS2 – 2005
15) Dragon Ball Raging Blast 2 – 2010 – PS3/Xbox 360
14) Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit – 2008 – Xbox 360/PS3
13) Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2 – PS2/Wii - 2006
12) Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 – PS2/Wii - 2007
11) Dragon Ball Xenoverse – 2015 – PS3/PS4/Xbox 360/Xbox One/PC

Dragon ball Fusions on the 3DS was not the prettiest 3D fighter, but it was packed with content. This is not your traditional DBZ game, as it ventures into the Heroes/Multiverse/Time Space Rift stuff. I’m not a fan of the What-If Fusion stuff, but this game did some interesting things on the portable. The amount of characters from Dragon Ball Super was fun and the game had countless hours of gameplay. But the ridiculous character interactions and fusions was enough for me to lose interest when things got too ridiculous and silly. Sorry, not a Heroes/Fusions guy. Bottom of B rank seems fair for a game that is finely average when considering everything.

Dragon Ball Legacy of Goku was a treat. In 2002 few games truly captured the action adventure feel of DBZ. Walking around as Goku in these “openish” landscapes was a lot of fun. I had played mostly fighting games and it was cool to travel through the story in this way. It felt like an actually DBZ adventure game with RPG elements which I was so desperate for. Sequels did more, but this game was still fun for fans in 2002.

Budokai 2 was the ugly duckling of the Budokai series. It switched to a board game type hub world. You had to use strategy to move around the game board. Also the art style put black borders around the characters and changed the overall art style to try and give the characters and outfits more detail. Objectively I like some things this game did to move the franchise, played through the Buu saga but overall a lot of fans thought of it as a step back from the cinematic unique experience Budokai gave before it.

The raging blast series followed burst limit on the HD consoles. It felt like the next step in the HD generation of DBZ games. It left behind the Budokai and Tenkaichi games and made it’s own system. I enjoyed the fighting systems and graphical upgrades. These early HD games felt shallow as far as content and creativity. The combat system also did not feel as deep as they were probably spending a lot of time in the graphics departments.

Buu’s Fury continued the Legacy of Goku after the Cell Saga. It took a few steps forward in some ways and in others a step back. It was a very impressive GBA game from the 3d map exploration, and the colorful sprites and artwork. This felt like the proper conclusion to the Legacy of Goku series and was a must play for action adventure fans wanting some rpg elements to their battles.

The original Budokai Tenkaichi was the follow up to the Budokai series for the PS2. They did a good job of changing it up. No more were the battles street fighter side by side 2D style. They positioned the camera more of an angle behind the fighter. It was interesting and different. I didn’t at first love this as it was an adjustment for those who played the trio of Budokai games. But it was a nice step in a new direction for sure.

Raging Blast 2 was definitely the more polished in the series of games. It added more content and a few new systems to the combat/gameplay. I remember being impressed visually. Even the opening cut scenes of these games were always jaw dropping during the 360/PS3 era. This game would go on to become mostly forgotten like all of the DBZ games from this era. It seems as if they were more graphical showcases than giant advances in content we had gotten from the PS2/Gamecube era.

Burst Limit was the first HD DBZ video game. It came before Raging Blast games, and for me scores some nostalgia points. I think Raging Blast 1 and 2 might have surpassed it in most departments, but I will never forget the graphical fidelitly of playing Burst Limit on my 360. It was the best DBZ game I had ever seen. The punches also felt impactful. I remember the game being pretty shallow, but the graphics graphics graphics looked so much better than anything jagged and angular we saw on the PS2 previously.

Budokai Tenkaichi 2 was a nice upgrade over the original. It also came to the Wii series for the first time, where I played it. I was more or less done with my PS2 at this time, and ready for next gen consoles. At this point, I was more used to the changed camera system, the new on screen HUD and combat systems. I played this game a lot. An absurd amount. And fans might say this is not ranked high enough. But certain aspects of this game and series has aged poorly. I think the camera angle change was ambitious but showcases the less than HD graphics. The Wii version was better though.

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 was the culmination of the series. Limited by the Wii and PS2 in 2007, the aesthetics were beginning to look unimpressive. But the combat/camera/HUD were never better. So much of these games are the little details. How do the punches feel. How fast is the combat. How quick do I recover. The Wii games had a bit more going for them as far as content vs the PS2 and was the way I played these games. But in the end, even the best Budokai Tenkaichi game falls short of A class for me. I’m sorry as I know some people swear by this series. But I think some games before it and after did better.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse. A game that really introduced timelines to mainstream audiences. Also pushed Future Trunks into this time patrol goof. But the thing I hated most I actually enjoyed, which was creating my own character in the DBZ universe. I usually hate this game mechanic, but ended loving it here. At first I created Goku Black (who knew?), but really enjoyed customizing their abilities and skills. I ended up playing it on a high end PC which looked great. Playing through the DBZ storylines with this create a character and “saving” the timeline was loads of fun. Now, in the short time since this game came out, we have seen an improved sequel, and some of the warts even of this recent game. Quality of life improvements definitely show. But the combat and RPG elements to the game were strong so #11 and top of B ranking seems fair.

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:25 am

A RANK -

10) Dragon Ball Z Battle of Z – 2014 – Xbox 360/PS3/PS Vita

9) Dragon Ball Z Attack of the Saiyans – 2009 - DS

8) Dragon Ball Z Legacy of Goku II – 2003 – GBA

7) Dragon Ball Z Budokai - PS2/GC - 2002

6) Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 – PS2 – 2004

5) Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure – 2006 - GBA

Dragon Ball Battle of Z was a new interesting take on the franchise. The combat, areas and co-op campaigns were different than really any game before. The gameplay had its shortcomings and some people found the game to be repetitive, but I loved played through all the missions with a friend, and played this game for many hours. It also looked good on the HD consoles, as well as gave me something different than the many 1 on 1 fighters.

Dragon Ball Z Attack of the Saiyans was really THE only true RPG based on the franchise. I did not play this game till years later as I was mostly playing console games. And I also go through stages of my life where the last thing I want is a level up, grind it out, turn based RPG. But when you are in the mood, this one is great! It starts off slow as most jrpg’s do, but the game pays off and is quite underrated. Most people forget about this game when talking about really good DBZ games. It doesn’t set the genre on fire, but does the core jrpg well and simple enough for many to enjoy.

Legacy of Goku 2 was undoubtedly the peak of this series. It kept a lot of the core game, but the mix of exploration, puzzles and combat was improved in this follow up. When I think back on this series, this is always the game I think of fondly. Unfortunately, I think this series has aged poorly, and a game like this does not get made in 2022. But the cute art style, and sense of adventure truly peaked on the GBA here.

Dragon Ball Z Budokai is peak nostalgia for me. My memory of this game defeats any notion of how good this game is. It’s hard to remember a time, but DBZ games in North America were unheard of. And, they were bad. This was the first american made game that followed the story, looked good, and played well. It definitely has it’s warts now, but this game was A+ back in 2002 if you had a gamecube (better load times and visuals). It did not play through the Buu saga which was unfortunate, and become a trend of many games to stop at certain sagas. But the combat, transformations, and the UI/hud became the foundation of many games that built off of or evolved from this game. Considered moving it to S rank, but that was my nostalgia talking.

Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 is the best representation of DBZ at this time. It gave us more characters, a full roster, more levels, more transformations, more more more. And my favorite part was exploring the map in full 3D. Far from open world, but this was the best we had gotten yet in terms of exploration on a console DBZ game. This was years in the making, and a huge step in the right direction after Budokai 2. The art style was hit or miss for people, as the PS2 was already starting to hit it’s limits, but the game overcame that with tight combat, combos and plenty of content. I was torn if I would put Budokai 1 or 3 ahead but it was only fair to give 3 the #6 spot by a hair.

Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure was a great beat em up for the GBA. Loved the overworld map. Loved that the beat em up combat was only side to side traversal and not north and south. Made hit detection and gameplay better. It took us from early Dragon Ball all the way through King Piccolo storyline and felt fast and responsive. Also the art style was fantastic. This game is a great replay in 2022.

SUPER SAIYAN RANK -

4) Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 – 2016 – PS4/Xbox One/ PC/ Switch

3) Dragon Ball Revenge of King Piccolo – 2009 – Wii

2) Dragon Ball FighterZ – 2018 – PS4/Xbox One/PC/Switch

1) Dragon Ball Z Kakarot – 2020 – PC/Switch/PS4/Xbox One

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 took everything they learned from the first game and improved upon it. The graphics were sharp (except for the Nintendo Switch which is just okay). The gameplay is smooth and takes combat elements from past DBZ games. The original game can be played in XV2 so it’s basically two games in one! The hud world was fun, as well as finding and unlocking the mentors. I put 100+ hours into this game on the Xbox, PC and Switch creating vastly different characters. By the end of this game I fully bought into the crazy time rift stuff. I’m not sure I want/need a XV3. I think I’m ready for something different next, but they have been supporting content for this game for years. And I mean massive content updates!

Dragon Ball Revenge of King Piccolo is everything I want in my favorite license/franchise. When you simplify it, it’s really just a beat em up. There is more verticality than Advanced Adventure, but you mostly move side to side through the levels. You play through a good portion of the Dragon Ball storyline as Goku, power pole in hand, ready to beat up some animals or red ribbon army baddies, with the occasional boss battle. This game was underrated and underappreciated when it was released, and now has a dedicated fan base that remembers this game. I love the art style and think the game still looks good today. It’s not a masterpiece by any means, and definitely has it’s repetitive nature and lacks replay value. But I often revisit this game every year or so.

Dragon Ball FighterZ is the tight tactical beautiful fighting game we were all waiting for. The art style is unmatched. The detail and colors easily make it the best looking Dragon Ball Z video game. But that alone is not what makes this game great. This is a fighting game developer making a great fighting game. The combos, the supers/ultimates are also easy enough to pull off, and hard to truly master in battle. The story is not excellent, nor is the way in which the story/battles play out through that tactical/grid map thing. But the hud/menu where you walk around has plenty of other options to play the game. This feels like MvC 2 but in DBZ form. There is no greater compliment. The roster is now pretty solid after plenty of content added. I wonder if we get a sequel to this extremely well made video game.

Dragon Ball Z Kakarot is a love letter to hardcore Dragon Ball Z fans. It gets so much unnecessary criticism on the internet. “The open world is empty but has pointless orbs” “The scaled open world battles are pointless” “Game auto levels me” And these are all semi-valid complaints. More honestly, this game is incredible. If you are a true to the core DBZ fan, and sick of the 35 other games that focus just on fighting, this gives you a true to scale world with 12+ different lands to travel, with many playable characters, teamups, transformations, and an AWESOME battle/combat system. I honestly think it is one of the best DBZ battle systems. I love fighterZ, but it does not have the fast air combat with teleporting and blocking and combos back and forth that the show really is. Kakarot makes me feel like these characters. Blocking large blasts. Countering moves. Teleporting around nonstop. And stringing together air combos. I have great control over my character (Superman game devs should play this). And it lets me play through 95% of the important parts of the show. (A few omissions such as USSJ vs Cell, Training with King Kai, traveling Snake Way, and training on ship on route to planet namek should have been included). But this game has so much content. I played through this game almost 3x complete. A high end PC made this game absolutely shine. But surprisingly enough, the Switch version is smooth and fully enjoyable (although not the ideal way to play). I love this video game and will play it again again for years to come (except made 1-2 side missions like those mech races). Bring on more content (and maybe a prequel/sequel too!) DBZ meets GTA, the dream video game!

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:00 am

Legacy of Goku 1 far too high, the game is a glitchy mess where they obviously had no idea what the were doing yet. Come on, seriously above the Origins duology and even Fusions?

Same for Sagas which is mostly ehh... it exists, but can't play it for long without getting bored quickly.

I like the PSX games trilogy myself and each of them brought something new to the table (Final Bout was first 3D game, UB22 had interesting interaction cutscenes, Legends was a new gameplay style unique to this day)

My biggest gripe with Kakarot is the lack of grounded battles, which CC2 excels at knowing their other games (Naruto ones in particular), so not sure why they went full aerial mode here when DBZ had plenty of ground battles.

Can't be bothered to reply to most of the list, but mine would be WAY different. Each to their own, I guess. :lolno:

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:51 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:00 am Legacy of Goku 1 far too high, the game is a glitchy mess where they obviously had no idea what the were doing yet. Come on, seriously above the Origins duology and even Fusions?

Same for Sagas which is mostly ehh... it exists, but can't play it for long without getting bored quickly.

I like the PSX games trilogy myself and each of them brought something new to the table (Final Bout was first 3D game, UB22 had interesting interaction cutscenes, Legends was a new gameplay style unique to this day)

My biggest gripe with Kakarot is the lack of grounded battles, which CC2 excels at knowing their other games (Naruto ones in particular), so not sure why they went full aerial mode here when DBZ had plenty of ground battles.

Can't be bothered to reply to most of the list, but mine would be WAY different. Each to their own, I guess. :lolno:
Respect your opinions. None are wrong. I moved games around a lot while doing it. All valid complaints. Which would be your favorites?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:07 pm

LettuceJUMP wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:51 pm Respect your opinions. None are wrong. I moved games around a lot while doing it. All valid complaints. Which would be your favorites?
I'm a man of classic taste, I love Legends of Super Saiyan for SNES, Buu's Fury, Budokai 3. FighterZ is great too but in small doses, it can get tiring for hands after even half a hour of playing, especially online :(

I also like Heroes but the 3DS one (Ultimate Mission X) which I find better than World Mission which sadly reeks of laziness and made many people dissatisfied.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:08 pm

Gotta strongly disagree with several of these choices, although I respect your opinion.

I'd probably put Kinect as the overall worst, followed by Taiketsu. Both are horrible games. Ultimate Battle 22 and Final Bout are pretty bad gameplay wise, but they at least had awesome soundtracks and unique rosters for their time.

You're being way too hard on the Shin Budokai games, as they both evolved the Budokai gameplay and had unique stories. Tenkaichi Tag Team is a decent game too.

And Infinite World should be at least top 10 if not top 5. It was a low budget game, but still managed to be a worthwhile upgrade to Budokai 3 from a gameplay perspective, and it added several new characters.

Ultimate Tenkaichi was bad and should be lower, although the reanimated scenes were cool.

I have a soft spot for Legacy of Goku 1, but having it higher than games like Infinite World and Super Dragon Ball Z is crazy. Tenkaichi 1 is also a deeply flawed game, and should be much lower. Battle of Z is just boring and forgettable.

I feel like both Xenoverse games are overrated, but I can't deny their impact and popularity.

Kakarot is an interesting idea for a game, but it's ultimately pretty barebones and average.

Advanced Adventure is a solid game, but there's not enough to do after beating it, and the 1 v 1 mode is too easy and repetitive.

For me the best is either Fighterz or Budokai 3. Fighterz for it's gameplay and visuals, and Budokai 3 for its single player experience, awesome soundtrack, and also great gameplay.

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:33 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:07 pm
LettuceJUMP wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:51 pm Respect your opinions. None are wrong. I moved games around a lot while doing it. All valid complaints. Which would be your favorites?
I'm a man of classic taste, I love Legends of Super Saiyan for SNES, Buu's Fury, Budokai 3. FighterZ is great too but in small doses, it can get tiring for hands after even half a hour of playing, especially online :(

I also like Heroes but the 3DS one (Ultimate Mission X) which I find better than World Mission which sadly reeks of laziness and made many people dissatisfied.
A man of classic taste hah those are great choices!

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:13 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:08 pm Gotta strongly disagree with several of these choices, although I respect your opinion.

I'd probably put Kinect as the overall worst, followed by Taiketsu. Both are horrible games. Ultimate Battle 22 and Final Bout are pretty bad gameplay wise, but they at least had awesome soundtracks and unique rosters for their time.

You're being way too hard on the Shin Budokai games, as they both evolved the Budokai gameplay and had unique stories. Tenkaichi Tag Team is a decent game too.

And Infinite World should be at least top 10 if not top 5. It was a low budget game, but still managed to be a worthwhile upgrade to Budokai 3 from a gameplay perspective, and it added several new characters.

Ultimate Tenkaichi was bad and should be lower, although the reanimated scenes were cool.

I have a soft spot for Legacy of Goku 1, but having it higher than games like Infinite World and Super Dragon Ball Z is crazy. Tenkaichi 1 is also a deeply flawed game, and should be much lower. Battle of Z is just boring and forgettable.

I feel like both Xenoverse games are overrated, but I can't deny their impact and popularity.

Kakarot is an interesting idea for a game, but it's ultimately pretty barebones and average.

Advanced Adventure is a solid game, but there's not enough to do after beating it, and the 1 v 1 mode is too easy and repetitive.

For me the best is either Fighterz or Budokai 3. Fighterz for it's gameplay and visuals, and Budokai 3 for its single player experience, awesome soundtrack, and also great gameplay.
Hey we can always agree to disagree. You are right as I was extra hard on the PSP games. I had a hard time appreciating them at release and have not revisited. Same thing for infinite world.

And I understand your feelings on Kakarot. You are not alone as a lot of people felt that way.

But what we can agree on, is DBZ IS THE BEST