What if DBS 2 made Moro and Granolah arcs happen AFTER Super Hero?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

What if DBS 2 made Moro and Granolah arcs happen AFTER Super Hero?

Post by Xeogran » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:58 pm

Would it be logically possible? Swap the placement of the arcs so that they retell Super Hero first in a new eventual anime series, and then continue onto manga arcs.. except changed a bit, so that Moro is freed from his prison only after SH. I think it would allow for the animated manga arcs to be more interesting that way and not straight adaptations. Teen Goten & Trunks could participate in fights, so could Broly, Gamma 1 and even Pan.

I think that would be a great selling point too, the manga would serve as main outline of events, while anime would add it's own stuff to fit within the timeline.

Currently there are some timeline issues with SH and Moro arcs, like Piccolo forgetting gigantification despite recently fighting 7-3 who used it against him. Or Goku and Vegeta constantly mentioning Jiren as their benchmark since they don't wanna refer to Moro/Granolah who weren't adapted yet. It could all be nicely fixed if these arcs just happen after the movie's events.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What if DBS 2 made Moro and Granolah arcs happen AFTER Super Hero?

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:12 pm

I was thinking about this recently and would honestly love it. Have Gohan and Piccolo fight in their new forms. Get characters like Broly, Goten and Trunks involved in these new story arcs. They would have to rewrite a few things to make it all work.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:46 am

I think there's no need for such change. They would be still meaningless fodder. Goku and Vegeta would shine. Again.

Also, bringing Broly, Trunks, Goten and that Gamma guy would diminish the roles of Tenshinhan, Kuririn, Yamcha and Chiaotzu (the only good thing about Moro's Arc is Yamcha and Chiaotzu fighting again, imo).

And I'd rather watch Earthlings struggling for the win, than multiple, overused and overcolored Saiyans stomping dumb Moro's acolytes without a sweat.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:57 am

I think it would allow for the animated manga arcs to be more interesting that way and not straight adaptations. Teen Goten & Trunks could participate in fights, so could Broly, Gamma 1 and even Pan.
There is literally nothing preventing them from adding more stuff without switching the order.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:05 pm

Gohan and Piccolo's parts in the Moro arc would make more sense if it occurred after Super Hero. I'd like for them to not be fodder to Saganbo though. It'd probably be like Namek where they all challenge Moro 1v1 or 2v1 at separate times.

I'd be more interested in seeing all the other changes that would occur because of this.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:44 pm

Goten and Trunks were still small so they would have to retcon the story and it would confuse people, I don't think they will do that.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:03 pm

I think it could work just fine with a few minor tweaks.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:03 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:58 pmWould it be logically possible?
Yes. The only thing ensuring Moro and Granolah sagas to take place before Movie 2 is Goten, Trunks and Pan appearances. But if you age them up, then it's fine to place both of these sagas after the movie.

I think I'd be down for that considering Movie 2 features a Goku who finally knows about his origins, but seeing him acting the same as ever is an issue. I still hope Goku remembering stuff will cause something in the long run, since nothing really happened to the current Goku in the Granolah saga (Baran was more useful to Dai in that aspect, even after he died. I was hoping to see something similar for Goku...).

I would place Movie 2, Moro saga and Granolah saga in the same year, AGE 782. Let them be the last events of this time period so we can finally move on two years ahead or beyond.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:30 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:44 pm Goten and Trunks were still small so they would have to retcon the story and it would confuse people, I don't think they will do that.
I think it's gonna be more confusing for casual fans to see Goten and Trunks being small again in the Moro arc, after watching the movie where they grew up.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:11 pm

In Super Hero, Goku doesn't understand (forgets?) the value of meditation (Let's not talk about how Goku does it in the original series for the sake of this conversation). Meditation is a big part of Goku's development of Migatte no Gokui in the Granolah arc. I think it actually works better if the events are: Vegeta meditates it in Super Hero (inspired by Jiren) > Goku mocks him > Vegeta wins their sparring match > Goku reconsiders and incorporates it into his training

Every detail between the Super movies and series doesn't have to match up perfectly, but based on many things said in this thread, I think shuffling the order would make sense.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:08 pm

I think it'd cause more problems than it would fix.

The meditation thing makes sense in this scenario, having Jiren still be a benchmark also makes more sense here than reminiscing about him after Broly, Moro, Granola, Gas, Freeza... *

But, how bloated would everything be? Saganbo would be trashing Beast Gohan and Orange Piccolo, right? Unless we go down, again, the boring route of having Gohan forget his new power up, or again slack off, which sounds beyond boring. But still, even if we keep the new form, then it's only there to not get the job done vs. Saganbo. It devalues the new form that is meant to be groundbreaking and on par, or above the Ultra forms.
And even if Gohan beats Saganbo, Moro will be defeated by UI(I wouldn't have this arc any other way), making the Beast form useless.
In any case, Gohan's developments doesn't look good, he either falls back again on that vicious cycle or his form ends up being a mere recolor.
Unless we downplay a lot what Orange and Beast form can do, which I don’t think anybody would want to do. What was the point of introducing new forms then?
And for the forms to work, it seems they would have to rewrite the Moro arc entirely, and while it does have problems, the arc, I wouldn't change how Moro was dealt with.

I do like Gotenks saving Yamcha and Krilin and not Goku, though. And a team of RR androids fighting together.

You could have Broly fight Moro, though, as an appetizer. The dynamic would be a little boring: absorb ki, deplete, defeat; but Broly fighting for Earth while the saiyans are off-world sounds fantastic, no matter how the fight turns out.

Overall, it would diminish the weight of Gohan and Piccolo's new forms, and to do justice to them, you'd need to have yet another team up to beat the villain(not just providing their ki). The ToP and SH had enough team ups for me, and I really enjoyed the last portion of the arc.

The Granola arc works anyway, because nobody is there. Gohan not being in the ToP 3 of U7 sounds like we're still kicking his Beast form down the ladder. And that arc had already enough people going at it, at the same time. At best, I would include Broly, because he is a saiyan and has thematic relevance, while Gohan does not.

TL;DR: I'd rather keep the original order of events, it was Toriyama's idea anyway. And let Orange and Beast shine alongside the Ultra forms in whatever comes next, so they don't fail in the Moro arc.

*This could actually be very well explained. Jiren's way of fighting is still something they haven't attained, they only surpassed his raw power, but his secret could still be out there for them to unveil.
And Goku has been steering away from the stoic UI, he's being less of a monk and more of a savage in order to use his True UI. So, I can see his next step be to drop the Whis approach for a bit, and be more of a emotion-based fighter.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:02 pm

Trouser wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:46 am I think there's no need for such change. They would be still meaningless fodder. Goku and Vegeta would shine. Again.

Also, bringing Broly, Trunks, Goten and that Gamma guy would diminish the roles of Tenshinhan, Kuririn, Yamcha and Chiaotzu (the only good thing about Moro's Arc is Yamcha and Chiaotzu fighting again, imo).

And I'd rather watch Earthlings struggling for the win, than multiple, overused and overcolored Saiyans stomping dumb Moro's acolytes without a sweat.
There was no reason to keep Goten and Trunks away from the invasion, that was just horrible writing. In invasion they should bring all the fighters they can, not leave fighters out by keep secrets or forbidding them.
Plus how in the world didn't they sense anyone fighting, they have power greater than Buu and battle in many parts of the world. Again horrible writing.

When Freeza was going to earth during the Mecha Freeza part, every fighter sensed Freeza.
When Buu was fighting on earth, those in Kaioshin World and Planet Namek felt his energy.

So basically in DBS Moro chapter the fighters are weaker than Mecha Freeza and Buu in the Buu Saga.

The humans retired, there was no reason for them to return. Beside they don't dare train hard.

Plus I forgot one thing Bulma ordered Mr Satan to fight against the alien in Kami Lookout, but she didn't want to phone Trunks to protect her. So in Bulma mind Mr Satan > Goten, Trunks and Gotenks.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:59 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:08 pm Saganbo would be trashing Beast Gohan and Orange Piccolo, right?
They could go with the excuse that Moro's absorption is making Gohan unable to transform into Beast. And while Orange Piccolo is very strong, we know he's beatable and Moro's group relied on tricks.

Toei could for example make the little Buu looking guy (Shimorekka) help Saganbo against Piccolo, as he was so underutilized in the manga and there is a free space to do anything with him.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:25 pm

There is no need to switch any order around. Here is the order how it happens:

ToP > Broly Movie > Moro Chapter > Granolah Chapter > DBS Super Heroes.

There is no confusing anyone. Just look at Naruto anime, the Boruto movie came out when the anime wasn't even finished. Did that cause any confusion? I doubt it.

However I wouldn't mind seeing good changes, like how they did back in the original DB days. However if they are going to do worse writing then they shouldn't bother changing anything.