A witch in the world of kaioshin

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

A witch in the world of kaioshin

Post by Alkiser » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:34 pm

As far as we know from the manga, the kaioshin world is a sacred land where only gods walk, until the events of the Buu saga. So what could it have been that a witch appeared there, who then merged via earrings with the current old Kaioshin?

Some other kind of deity?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: A witch in the world of kaioshin

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:03 pm

That is certainly odd, IIRC, that planet is kinda separated from the actual universe, or something like that, meaning a spaceship drifting forever in space like the Event Horizon won't ever get there, even if the planet is supposed to be on the ship's route. So that witch couldn't have gotten there like you get to Namek.

Considering it's a witch that provided some interesting new tricks to a fucking god(the potential unlocking ritual seems to be hers), I don't discard the lady being able to teleport, open portals or travel to unreachable places. Maybe she did not even mean to get there, perhaps she had no idea who the fuck that little mohawk kid was, or where she was.
There could be another explanation, other life forms used to live there, like some rotten fruit or something like that.

I'm more confused by the existence of a Dai Kaioshin and several little kaioshin, while Ro Kaioshin seemed to be alone (Beerus sealed him, I guess so nobody could actually kill him*), and now there's been only one for millions of years.

*This one I actually like, I take from it that Beerus was young and perhaps insecure, and seeing there was this big red button that could get him killed without him even knowing about it, he just hid that button.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:09 pm

I never gave it much thought, but perhaps when Elder Kaioshin was in charge, the universe was in beta testing with much more magic and monsters freely roaming around. He seemed to know the Witch before she stole his earring, so they probably already had a rivalry of sorts. Since she gave him the ability to summon crystal balls, maybe she was like a souped-up version of Uranai Baba who somehow found a way to the Kaioshin Realm while travelling between the living world and afterlife.

Out-of-universe, the likely reasoning is that Toriyama felt the need to justify why Elder Kaioshin knew of Potara Fusion while Shin and Kibito didn't, while also explaining his superior mystic powers, so he made a dumb gag out of it as was prone to do at that point in the publication.

EDIT:
While I do enjoy the Kaio world lore, there's no denying that it's a trainwreck of inconsistencies and question marks ever since they were introduced. How old are all the Kais? Where are the Makaioshin? Why did the Kaioshin Realm suddenly pop up out of nowhere on the cosmological map? How does the whole Grand Kaioshin system work, do all the universes have one, is Shin the defacto Grand Kai now, and blah blah blah. Easy answer, Toriyama didn't think about it. End of story.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:56 pm

Koitsukai provided an interesting explanation. We're aware that Fortuneteller Baba has unique access to the afterlife and even presides over the commuting of souls from there to the living realm and vice versa. If this witch that the Elder Kaioshin encountered was anything like Baba then it may be that they had unique access to realms in the afterlife. Although how one could access a place as exclusive as the Kaioshin world seems farfetched. I agree with LoganForkHands73 there.

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:19 pm

Why does it seem farfetched? Goku reached it through Shunkan-Ido, a mortal technique. I see no reason why a witch can't know a similar technique or ability via magic or inherent nature.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:12 am

Maybe the incident with the Witch and Beerus sealing Rou Kaioshin away into the Z Sword is the very reason why no one except the Kaioshin & attendants are allowed to be there? It may have been a world that was once open in the distant past as there may not have been nearly as much danger in Rou Kaioshin's time. A little bit of funny business and then danger happening in arguably the most important place in U7 would certainly be grounds to ban everyone except the highest deities from entering.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:43 am

There’s also the possibility that Old Kaioshin is lying, and is … actually just old.