Ever felt grateful for owning the show?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Ever felt grateful for owning the show?

Post by Vijay » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:42 am

Was rewatchin some Namek/Cell/Majin Arc episodes...childhood passed by my eyes...as a kid used to sit in front TV on weekends with breakfast to catch this guys battle/transform

Then in early 2010's post hih school and early college again this guys provided greatest enjoyment

Without DBZ/DB franchise (somw may like dbs, gt, kai) cant imagine how social media would be like

There are countless youtube vids, insta, twitter accts that disected the frm the show's VA to in bween animators...wonder who does that for 30y show

Have you ever felt grateful for ownin the series?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Ever felt grateful for owning the show?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:50 am

Most definitely, like a lot of 90s kids I grew up with traditional TV where shows would be on a schedule and removed when the network (in my case Cartoon Network and its then sister channels CNX and Toonami) no longer wanted it.

I still remember how revolutionary blank VHS tapes and a recording player were to me. In Ireland there was no VHS or DVD releases of the series until 2012 other than the Big Green movies, so for many years it was my only way of being able to rewatch any of the episodes.

Even today I can't legally own the Westwood and Blue Water dubs I grew up on, but I've come to love the Funimation and Japanese casts too so having their versions on DVD and Blu-Ray is wonderful. I love that I can pop in a disc and watch whatever arc I want whenever I want, and when I have kids ill be able to pass my collection on to them.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:42 pm

Yeah, especially considering I have Dragon boxes.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:44 pm

Finally owning all the movies, DB,Z,GT and super gave me a good feeling. It always seemed like a struggle (and it kind of is) and as of now its never ending.

I got the same way with the manga, but I have to cut my losses because right now the manga and the anime (movies) are evergoing and I need to cut somthing to save money :lol:

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:15 am

I like owning the singles of the Funimation dub seeing as that's the only way to see the English dub uncut with proper aspect ratio and all the original voice acting.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:11 pm

Of course. Children today will never get the joy of having to wait until the next day to find out what happens in dragon ball.
Netflix and Youtube's autoplay and every software that would play an episode right after one just ended is responsible for that, they also watch it without commercials these days... so in my humble opinion they will never get to experience the same dragon ball as we did, even they would want it.
I still remember how revolutionary blank VHS tapes and a recording player were to me.
DUDE I was thinking that the other day, it was like our internet before the actual internet back then hahha I remember I was 11 years old when I would put together every Sunday money I would get (we call it "domingo"-Sunday to the allowance in my country cause we get it on that day uh...) which was $20 powerful mexican pesos until I had $400 pesos to purchase my first VHS and it was pure joy to me, I would play DBZ (and other shows) in the background while playing or cleaning my room, or to study, you know instead of music, some people put music, I would listen to DBZ instead hahaha
Without DBZ/DB franchise (somw may like dbs, gt, kai) cant imagine how social media would be like

There are countless youtube vids, insta, twitter accts that disected the frm the show's VA to in bween animators
They would living of Starwars or Superheroes so don't worry too much about it pal :lol:

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:54 pm

i have the funi dragon boxes and that's enough for me. i highly doubt i'll ever part with them.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:28 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:11 pm Of course. Children today will never get the joy of having to wait until the next day to find out what happens in dragon ball.
During Super they had to wait a week. And now we're back to waiting years...?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:20 pm

Oh yes. I especially get nostalgic over the singles that I have. I think the subsequent releases kind of jaded me. The Japanese Dragon Boxes are like my most prized possessions, but I can't say I've ever really watched them. They're just nice to have and look at.

Now, my entire collection is digital, though.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:17 pm

I'm glad to have the entire OG anime run, particularly the FUNi Dragon Boxes for Z and singles for GT as they are the best presentations of the Japanese editions available domestically.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:01 pm

I like owning the show but it's less owning the physical media and more about having certain releases that aren't widely available or are long out of print. I own the Dragon Boxes, Saga Sets, The Saga of Goku, GT Singles, and DBZ Ocean Dub singles.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:53 am

Oddly enough, I've been thinking about selling my US Dragon Boxes to pay for bills. It's nice owning a piece of history but I'm older now and have bills to pay. 😆
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:05 pm

Not really. I might've been grateful when I was too young to know any better but I can't say I've ever really agreed with the way the series was distributed in the past. The publishers have tended to be questionable in their methods or just inept.

On the other hand, I am very grateful for the fan preservation of the series in its various forms.