"Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero” is a feature film that has objective technical problems?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Go! Go! Ackman

"Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero” is a feature film that has objective technical problems?

Post by Go! Go! Ackman » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:11 pm

Hello everyone, even though I had zero expectations, on the first weekend that this film came out, I went aniyway to see it and I must admit I also enjoyed it, because finally after years I was able to breathe the same atmosphere of the original manga.

The cel shading technique that Toei Animation has used for this product is perhaps succeeded for the first time to transposing the Toriyama's distinctive trait, however, the main reason why I wrote in the introduction that I had "zero expectations" has been unfortunately confirmed once I saw the whole product, in fact, it seemed to me that this movie had some serious problems on a technical level: I had this feeling from the first time that the teaser was officially revealed (I'm talking about of the video when Goku jumping over the logo).

If I had to specify more precisely what I just said, well, I had the feeling that the characters seemed to be excessively slow and clumsy (even in the quietest moments), in fact, their bodies seemed to be much heavier than their effective mass and this kind of impression is even worse when I think at work that the Toei has shown for "The First Slam Dunk".

For those who know animation on a technical level, what is the problem that these new products have specifically?

Usually the industry of the two-dimensional Japanese animation produces of the episodes that running at 24 fps: for this feature film they used a smaller quantity or simply the usual 24 are no longer enough for of the three-dimensional products like this?

I had also thought that there was a problem in the physics of the programmes used or also that there was a bad conversion of the final product, but these are only my ramblings. What is the truth?

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero” is a feature film that has objective technical problems?

Post by batistabus » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:28 pm

I'm not savvy to the technical stuff, but overall, I think the movie moved extremely well. I do think Goku in particular looked especially clunky as he moved around for some reason, and I wasn't totally on board with his character acting, but it's not a huge gripe. Besides him, everything else was fantastic. This film captured Toriyama's style of humor/comedic timing better than anything that has come before - by a lot.