Dragon Ball Z Movies/Anime Comparison

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Dragon Ball Z Movies/Anime Comparison

Post by DBZ Expert » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:05 am

Movie 1/Raditz Arc
Movie 2/Vegeta Arc
Movie 3/Namek Arc
Movie 4/Ginyu Arc
Movie 5/Freeza Arc
Movie 6/Androids Arc
Movie 7/Imperfect Cell Arc
Last edited by DBZ Expert on Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:14 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Movies/Anime Comparasion

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:28 am

Dear Kami, it's a play by play rip off. Well, sorta.

Great work, it must've taken a lot of time to do this. I knew the movies rehashed the arcs but I never stopped to think about how closely they did it, or that it "retells" miniarcs. Slug being the Ginyu arc or Turles being the Zarbon arc is something I'm actually seeing now for the first time.

Can't wait to see the other movies being compared to the anime arcs.

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:49 pm

Bump. Movie 5 added.

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:10 am

I made some videos of the movies/anime comparision and it's one scene after another in the right order of each movie plus each movie's soundtrack theme.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ6qbvx3SCs&t=15s
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OiW2Mm9Te3g&t=166s
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rRM2mVTtzxo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Es42M4qgMwc&t=2s
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqcZqTWtc-k

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:05 pm

Bump. Movie 6/Androids Arc added.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:09 am

It’s no secret that the TOEI films were based on the corresponding arcs that aired at the time of their production, but this post definitely highlights the similarities best. Thanks for the insight.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:16 pm

Movie 7/Imperfect Cell Arc added.

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:25 am

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies/Anime Comparison

Post by DBZ Expert » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:26 pm

How can anyone stay apathetic to this masterpiece? Movie 9/Cell Games Arc is on the way!

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:33 pm

I'm following it! Please continue! I love this! I was all this time very focused in a project in another forum, so I ended up forgeting to comment here (it's usual) Broly 2 and Bio Broly are the ones I'm most hyped to see you do, cause they are the ones I most struggle to see any similarities with the series, but damn you shown how many similarities Broly 93 has with Perfect Cell arc, and I also wasn't aware of them! It's very interesting and probably takes a long time to edit all those pictures!
I would've liked if you did the same with the DB 86, 87, 88 and 10th Animation Special 96 Movies ^^ but I guess you skipped them cause their similarities are way too obvious!
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:36 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:33 pm I'm following it! Please continue! I love this! I was all this time very focused in a project in another forum, so I ended up forgeting to comment here (it's usual) Broly 2 and Bio Broly are the ones I'm most hyped to see you do, cause they are the ones I most struggle to see any similarities with the series, but damn you shown how many similarities Broly 93 has with Perfect Cell arc, and I also wasn't aware of them! It's very interesting and probably takes a long time to edit all those pictures!
I would've liked if you did the same with the DB 86, 87, 88 and 10th Animation Special 96 Movies ^^ but I guess you skipped them cause their similarities are way too obvious!
Thank you. As for movie 10 and 11, the reason there are not much similiraties to the anime is because there was no progression in the anime at the time of movie 10 and 11 and there weren't major fights in the series. Movie 11 had the worst part of that because it was the only movie who had no choice but to use Goten and Trunks because all of Goku's forms still weren't revealed in the anime. Toriyama even makes a note in one of the Manga chapters at how he gets consulted by TOEI about what to do with movie 11:

I didn't make any early Dragon Ball movie because I never watched all of Dragon Ball and these movies never intended to follow a specific arc but retells the story of the anime.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:32 pm

I never thought about that, now it makes sense! Thanks
Tbh, I actually think all of the Boo Saga movies struggled to makes parallels with the animated series
Fusion Reborn is obviously the one with more similarities, Janemba = Boo, Gotenks first appearance, SSJ3 first appearance, Vegeta returning, Gogeta = Vegetto and some other stuff, it's funny to think about it actually as the movie came out when Gotenks was still fighting Super Boo in the TV Series
Now Wrath of the Dragon looks very original for me, Hildegarne's nature can makes us think about Kid Boo and there are SSJ3, Ultimate Gohan, Gotenks and Vegeta getting beaten as he did with Kid Boo, but other than these, this movie gives me the same feelings as Broly 2 and 3
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:29 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:32 pm I never thought about that, now it makes sense! Thanks
Tbh, I actually think all of the Boo Saga movies struggled to makes parallels with the animated series
Fusion Reborn is obviously the one with more similarities, Janemba = Boo, Gotenks first appearance, SSJ3 first appearance, Vegeta returning, Gogeta = Vegetto and some other stuff, it's funny to think about it actually as the movie came out when Gotenks was still fighting Super Boo in the TV Series
Now Wrath of the Dragon looks very original for me, Hildegarne's nature can makes us think about Kid Boo and there are SSJ3, Ultimate Gohan, Gotenks and Vegeta getting beaten as he did with Kid Boo, but other than these, this movie gives me the same feelings as Broly 2 and 3
I would not say that Gogeta=Vegetto tbh. The idea of Gogeta for movie 12 came from the fusion dance that made it's debut in the Majin Boo Arc. Remember, Toriyama made Vegetto because fusion was taken in Movie 12.

We can say that Movie 13 is parallel to the late Fusion Arc.
Movie 13 was released while SSjin Vegetto was fighting Gohan-Boo in the anime after episode 270. Movie 12 was released while SSjin Gotenks was fighting Evil Boo in the RoSaT after episode 258. Movie 13 simply includes everything between episodes 259 to 270 which is why wee see Ultimate Gohan (debut in episode 262) SSjin 3 Gotenks (debut in episode 260) and that Goku is alive (debut in episode 266).

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:50 pm

Yeah but I refer mostly to similar moments
I really can't see many similarities between Movie 13 and the Late Super Boo episodes, I can think of some key frames from Ultimate Gohan's fight against Hildegarne's lower half, and Gotenks using Renzoku Shine Shine Missile, and that's it
Vegeta using that single blast to attack 1st form Hildegarne does remember me of him using the same blast against Kid Boo, but that's not part of the late Super Boo arc.
Meanwhile, I still struggle to find any similarities in Movies 10 and 11, man, no wonder why they brought back Broly twice, what Toriyama said really makes sense, for now, I could only find maybe a parallel between Broly being frozen in the ice for years and Majin Boo being sealed?

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:57 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:50 pm Yeah but I refer mostly to similar moments
I really can't see many similarities between Movie 13 and the Late Super Boo episodes, I can think of some key frames from Ultimate Gohan's fight against Hildegarne's lower half, and Gotenks using Renzoku Shine Shine Missile, and that's it
Vegeta using that single blast to attack 1st form Hildegarne does remember me of him using the same blast against Kid Boo, but that's not part of the late Super Boo arc.
Meanwhile, I still struggle to find any similarities in Movies 10 and 11, man, no wonder why they brought back Broly twice, what Toriyama said really makes sense, for now, I could only find maybe a parallel between Broly being frozen in the ice for years and Majin Boo being sealed?
Movie 10 came out while the z fighters were hiding on the mountains and watch Babidi and his henchmen so no, it's not a parallel. Movie 10 is basically based on the beginning of the Boo Saga and movie 11 is based on the late tenkaichi budokai Arc as it's when the movies were released. They even mention those events.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:20 pm

Got it, also sorry for the late reply, I really love this thread and I thought that by this point you had already completed all the movies lol, don't worry, I can be patience
I was just thinking about one thing
Can the movies really always only adapt moments from a single saga?
I ask that because i think that some of them actually had some similarities with more than one saga, Movie 3 for example

You have the whole Z senshi team fighting just like in the Saiyans Saga
Amond's Planet Bomb is extremely similar if not almost identical to Nappa's Volcano Explosion
You have Turles making a power ball that can simulate the moon to transform a Saiyajin into a Oozaru, just as Vegeta does in the Saiyajin Saga
You have Gohan going Oozaru, just as he does in Saiyajin Saga
When Oozaru Gohan crushes Goku in his hands, Goku literally makes the same open mouth expression as he does when Oozaru Vegeta crushes him in his hands
And of course, there's Goku using kaioken and forming the genkidama just as he does in the Saiyajin saga, and the animation of Turles' death is very similar to when Vegeta is hit by the genkidama as well.

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:10 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:20 pm Got it, also sorry for the late reply, I really love this thread and I thought that by this point you had already completed all the movies lol, don't worry, I can be patience
I was just thinking about one thing
Can the movies really always only adapt moments from a single saga?
I ask that because i think that some of them actually had some similarities with more than one saga, Movie 3 for example

You have the whole Z senshi team fighting just like in the Saiyans Saga
Amond's Planet Bomb is extremely similar if not almost identical to Nappa's Volcano Explosion
You have Turles making a power ball that can simulate the moon to transform a Saiyajin into a Oozaru, just as Vegeta does in the Saiyajin Saga
You have Gohan going Oozaru, just as he does in Saiyajin Saga
When Oozaru Gohan crushes Goku in his hands, Goku literally makes the same open mouth expression as he does when Oozaru Vegeta crushes him in his hands
And of course, there's Goku using kaioken and forming the genkidama just as he does in the Saiyajin saga, and the animation of Turles' death is very similar to when Vegeta is hit by the genkidama as well.
I took a break and left this project. I may return to this comparison very soon. It's just that people don't seem to have such interest like you do. As for your question, Movie 3 is indeed based on the Namek Arc (power levels and story wise). Since, the Namek arc was like mid training for everyone, there was no real progression when it comes to the events. Goku was actually training in the spaceship at that time so I guess TOEI also included similar stuff from before, but that wasn't the basis of the movie. A similar case is in movie 10. The Family KHH is based on the Father-Son KHH in the Cell Games. But we know Movie 10 is based on the beginning of the Boo Saga. The reason is once again, no progression at that point. Goku was dead and his new forms weren't released yet so TOEI couldn't use them for the movie.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:28 pm

Oh I get it now, I know how it is, it really requires a lot of passion to make such a niche project like this able to run, take your time.
In case you want to give another reply again, could you explain me about this scene from Movie 13?
This scene was pretty much the reason why I initially thought that the movies could actually adapts scenes from future episodes due to pre-production shenanigans
When Vegeta fights Hildegarne, he uses a very similar if not the same ki blast attack he uses against Kid Boo, with of course, a very similar animation as well
Following the rules, this shouldn't make sense as Movie 13 came out before the Kid Boo arc, so was this a coincidence or something else? IIRC Vegeta doesn't make a similar attack during the fight against Super Boohan.

DBZ Expert
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DBZ Expert » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:48 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:28 pm Oh I get it now, I know how it is, it really requires a lot of passion to make such a niche project like this able to run, take your time.
In case you want to give another reply again, could you explain me about this scene from Movie 13?
This scene was pretty much the reason why I initially thought that the movies could actually adapts scenes from future episodes due to pre-production shenanigans
When Vegeta fights Hildegarne, he uses a very similar if not the same ki blast attack he uses against Kid Boo, with of course, a very similar animation as well
Following the rules, this shouldn't make sense as Movie 13 came out before the Kid Boo arc, so was this a coincidence or something else? IIRC Vegeta doesn't make a similar attack during the fight against Super Boohan.
This is like asking why Gohan used KHH in movie 10 if he never used it during the time frame between episode 200 til 220. Context should be demanded here. Not every scene has to be releated to the timeline of the series. This is logic fallacy. It's like saying that because Nappa had lightning when he powered up vs the Z warriors, it means lightning isn't an indicator in the manga for SSjin 2, so Gohan was SSjin 2 vs Dabura. What I'm trying to say is that fighting style isn't an indicator, but feats attacks that show the villains strength in comparison to others are the intentional basis. Like, both Cell and Broli tanking Vegeta's kick to the neck following with a power statement.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:50 pm

I get it now, thanks, so the better we can be sure of is that toei borrowed some things from past sagas to use in later movies, like the already mentioned small similarities between the Vegeta saga and Movie 3 due to lack of content in the new arcs at the time.