Crunchyroll re-releasing Dragon Ball GT on DVD in February 2023

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Crunchyroll re-releasing Dragon Ball GT on DVD in February 2023

Post by mecha3000 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:26 pm

Like the title said, Crunchyroll is releasing a new Dragon Ball GT DVD set (https://store.crunchyroll.com/collectio ... series-dvd). But it pretty much looks like a reissue of the old one from back in 2010, which is seriously disappointing considering they could've released it on Blu-ray by now. I was in middle school back then and now I'm a full-fledged adult but NOPE, we don't get anything new for this release. Seriously, the set itself looks like a cheap copy and paste of the old one too. But I will give credit that it's using the Japanese GT logo and looks like it might be a steelbook release, at least.

Timing is also interesting considering MistareFusion is about to start covering GT on his Dragon Ball Dissection series. Thoughts? Honestly, with the Super Crunchyroll double-season sets and now this, I wouldn't be surprised if Crunchyroll is intent on re-releasing all of Dragon Ball with their logo on it, but by cheaply re-releasing the old sets instead of adding anything new or putting them on Blu-ray. I bet the original Dragon Ball series is next.

Kaboom

Re: Crunchyroll re-releasing Dragon Ball GT on DVD in February 2023

Post by Kaboom » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:16 pm

I already have the original-ish green-brick Complete Series set for GT (and the GT Dragon Box), but if this new release happens to be an improvement in any way then I may just double-dip.

That would mean doing stuff like keeping the original Japanese episode title screens (much like how they've apparently ditched the edgy Funimation logo), restoring the next-episode previews from the original singles, perhaps ditching the "remastered" footage for the singles version too, maybe getting rid of the English cover of Dan Dan by Creepoid McTouchy and just leaving the Japanese version in the dub track instead...

Oh and if this does turn out to be a steelbook release, then that doesn't hurt its chances either. I'm a total sucker for steelbooks.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:49 pm

If it's not just a basic re-release of the Green Bricks I'd be very surprise.

Looking forward to hearing about people who already own the Green Bricks buying this set

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:30 pm

If the Super steelbooks are anything to go by the only reauthoring we can expect from this set is swapping Funimation's logo for Crunchyroll, which plays before the menu.

I wish we could have the Blue Water dub added as an extra audio track, that would get some people to double dip. That's a pipe dream though, I'd be happy if the lesser miracle of Japanese title cards and NEPs being reinstated became a reality.

Unsurprisingly this set erroneously lists the "GT Movie", but as we all know A Hero's Legacy is a special.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:37 pm

I saw WTK post the listing on Twitter.

Best case scenario: This'll use the either the singles or Dragon Box transfer.

Most likely scenario: These are the same Season Set discs re-packaged.

What a missed opportunity to put this and original Dragon Ball on Blu-Ray (or even SD-BD.)
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:04 pm

Kaboom wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:16 pm I already have the original-ish green-brick Complete Series set for GT (and the GT Dragon Box), but if this new release happens to be an improvement in any way then I may just double-dip.

That would mean doing stuff like keeping the original Japanese episode title screens (much like how they've apparently ditched the edgy Funimation logo), restoring the next-episode previews from the original singles, perhaps ditching the "remastered" footage for the singles version too, maybe getting rid of the English cover of Dan Dan by Creepoid McTouchy and just leaving the Japanese version in the dub track instead...

Oh and if this does turn out to be a steelbook release, then that doesn't hurt its chances either. I'm a total sucker for steelbooks.
Good point. Didnt even think about the Vic Mignogna situation. Honestly tho, i prefer the japanese songs over the dub when it comes to GT anyway so its not a huge loss if they got rid of it.

Now that i think about it, dragon ball kai has vic mignogna as one of the singers so they might edit that too in the inevitable crunchyroll repackage release.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:20 pm

I wonder why FUNmation bothered with stripping out the NEP's from the season releases, especially considering GT is the only series of the OG anime run (before they released the domestic Dragon Boxes) to have them due to receiving proto DBox masters back in 2002/2003 which were used on the single discs. Yet for some reason they decided to remove them because...I guess since the DB and Z brick sets didn't have them and they wanted consistency there?
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:26 pm

This is such an odd release... Why not Dragon Ball? I look at this as the equivalent of re-releasing Termination 3 before 1 and 2. I get why they skip Dragon Ball in favor of Z, but GT didn't air before Dragon Ball in any market and not only randomly got a time slot on Nick Toons when it aired Kai, but also gets a re-release? Seriously, what about Dragon Ball?

Oh, well... But yeah, what an opportunity to go Blu-ray at least. But, no. Let's just crank out the green bricks that are selling on Amazon for $23...

What really baffles me, is that the presentation is a direct link to the orange bricks, which Funimation has all but admitted was terrible. Why not at least change the cover?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:39 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:26 pm This is such an odd release... Why not Dragon Ball? I look at this as the equivalent of re-releasing Termination 3 before 1 and 2. I get why they skip Dragon Ball in favor of Z, but GT didn't air before Dragon Ball in any market and not only randomly got a time slot on Nick Toons when it aired Kai, but also gets a re-release? Seriously, what about Dragon Ball?
In the case of GT on NickToons I imagine a 65 episode show (64 episodes + 1 tv special) was more desirable for them to air than a 153 episode show and GT looks less "old".
What really baffles me, is that the presentation is a direct link to the orange bricks, which Funimation has all but admitted was terrible. Why not at least change the cover?
Tbf, at least this seems to be an honest, if incredibly stupid and pointless, advertisement that its just the same release as the green bricks. I think I would be more annoyed if it got nice new packaging only to be revealed to just be the exact same masters as the green bricks

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:45 pm

A blu-ray release would be much better, but at least it's something I guess.

If it is a steelbook and gets a UK release I might double dip.

There was an issue with Manga UK's Season 1, were the dub + japanese score track would sometimes have dialogue sound weird, as if the character was underwater. It seemed to affect Pan's dialogue a lot. I'm not sure if the US release had this issue.

If this release were to fix that then I'd be even more inclined to double dip.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:39 am

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:45 pm There was an issue with Manga UK's Season 1, were the dub + japanese score track would sometimes have dialogue sound weird, as if the character was underwater. It seemed to affect Pan's dialogue a lot. I'm not sure if the US release had this issue.

If this release were to fix that then I'd be even more inclined to double dip.
I think that may have been a framerate conversion issue because Manga UK's release was a repackage of Madman's, which took Funimation's NTSC discs and converted them to PAL, which would caused the audio track to speed up slightly. I've also heard reports of this being an issue on Madman's discs but not Funimation's so seems plausible. A Blu-Ray release would have fixed this because the format did away with the framerate issue by standardising everything worldwide.

There is a chance a UK release of this DVD set could resolve that issue though, if Crunchyroll reauthor the discs to use their logo before the menu plays they will likely just give the UK branch their own discs, which will of course be NTSC.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:39 am

There are a couple oddities with this. The packaging says 16:9 but surely this is the same 4:3 master as the green bricks. Also. It is exciting that they seem to be including the original Dragon Ball GT logo on front of this box set instead of the Americanized logo. In the green bricks, even though they have an English version of Dan Dan, they still slapped the American logo at the beginning of the OP. Interested to see if these sets change the OP to have the original logo.

The bestcase scenario for this set is that it uses the original Dragon Ball GT DVD releases from Funimation which are essentially Dragon Box quality with NEP's and original logo and all in the presentation.

Now this is just wishful thinking, but wondering if there will be a different audio source on this release? Toei has the master audio for GT saved unlike DB/DBZ so I don't understand why they would continue to put out the optical audio when they have the master audio.

But this is Dragon Ball, and this release will probably be cursed and pointless and a repackage of what has already been put out over a decade ago.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:12 pm

Majin Man 101 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:39 am There are a couple oddities with this. The packaging says 16:9 but surely this is the same 4:3 master as the green bricks.
If Crunchyroll is going to add their own logos, then the DVDs will need to be re-authored. And if that's the case, maybe they have encoded the DVDs in 16:9, while keeping the 4:3 aspect ratio. You know, with black bars on the sides.

But specs on the cover aren't always accurate, so who knows...

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:39 pm

I haven't bought any home releases in over a decade, but are we still on DVD? Why not bluray?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:59 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:39 pm I haven't bought any home releases in over a decade, but are we still on DVD? Why not bluray?
at the veryleast SD-Bluray. That would very much be welcome

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:53 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:12 pm
Majin Man 101 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:39 am There are a couple oddities with this. The packaging says 16:9 but surely this is the same 4:3 master as the green bricks.
If Crunchyroll is going to add their own logos, then the DVDs will need to be re-authored. And if that's the case, maybe they have encoded the DVDs in 16:9, while keeping the 4:3 aspect ratio. You know, with black bars on the sides.

But specs on the cover aren't always accurate, so who knows...
That's true. When the Wal-mart 3 in 1 season blu ray sets were announced the pre-order listed them as 4:3 and people got excited thinking it was a re-issue of the 30th anniversary sets. It ended up being a repackaging of the 16:9 season sets

Vidsigma

Post by Vidsigma » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:45 am

Alright, so I got my copy in since I've been needing to replace the ones I've had since 2009.

To no one's surprise, it's the same exact release it has been for the past 12 years. Only thing new is the case was updated to better mesh with the look of the Steelbooks and the Walmart 3 packs. Only inconsistency is that the back lists English 5.1 and Japanese Stereo as the audio options, which isn't the case. The Japanese track is still in Mono, and both the English 5.1 (original soundtrack) and the English Stereo (US soundtrack) options are still there. Pretty sure the ads on the disc might wind up being the same too, first disc had an ad for the Z Movie 5 & 6 double feature, but I'd have to double check my original season 1 set to confirm.

But yeah, nothing new here, same as it's always been, just in new packaging as suspected.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:12 pm

Not surprising, but pretty pathetic that Sony/Crunchyroll wants to charge $52 for it. Last time I was at Wal-Mart you could own the complete series for like $25.

Glad we don't have to worry about competence just because Funimation got folded into the Crunchyroll brand!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:12 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:12 pm Not surprising, but pretty pathetic that Sony/Crunchyroll wants to charge $52 for it. Last time I was at Wal-Mart you could own the complete series for like $25.

Glad we don't have to worry about competence just because Funimation got folded into the Crunchyroll brand!
To no one's surprise, it's the same exact release it has been for the past 12 years. Only thing new is the case was updated to better mesh with the look of the Steelbooks and the Walmart 3 packs. Only inconsistency is that the back lists English 5.1 and Japanese Stereo as the audio options, which isn't the case. The Japanese track is still in Mono, and both the English 5.1 (original soundtrack) and the English Stereo (US soundtrack) options are still there. Pretty sure the ads on the disc might wind up being the same too, first disc had an ad for the Z Movie 5 & 6 double feature, but I'd have to double check my original season 1 set to confirm.

But yeah, nothing new here, same as it's always been, just in new packaging as suspected.

Not surprised at all. and i'm sure when CR eventually does go to re release the OG DB season sets it will inevitably be the exact same discs from 2009/2010 repackaged in newer cases and with the FUNimation logo replaced by Crunchyroll's but everything else left as is. It will likely turn out more or less the same as this GT set. A cheap lazy repackaging of the five seasons with the actual video and audio contents on the discs themselves unaltered in any way, shape or form.

Predictable, because of course they weren't going to expend the effort to change anything. Just recycle the same discs that's been out for the last decade plus.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:31 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:39 pm I haven't bought any home releases in over a decade, but are we still on DVD? Why not bluray?

Since GT hasn't been remastered in HD, a Blu-ray release would be a very limited benefit. And it might be easier to convince people to pay more for the set if it was on more discs too due to the perceived value.