Related to was Gohan ssj2 vs Dabura?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aim
Banned

Re: Related to was Gohan ssj2 vs Dabura?

Post by Aim » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:07 am

Delete this comment o.o
Last edited by Aim on Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:17 am

What if Toriyama wasn't thinking? Like what if he comes out and says that? What would that make Gohan exactly? I guess going by the story we could just say he's a Super Saiyan since it's not explicitly said he's Super Saiyan 2, however, even going by the hair it's really difficult to tell, I have looked through the manga and I can see somewhat of a trend with Super Saiyan 2 hair and Super Saiyan hair.

Take a look at the way the hair is drawn, keep in mind movement, fighting, and wetness affects hair, so an SS flying through the air will look more like an SS2 which we know they aren't.

SS:

Going SS2:

SS2:

Unknown while fighting Dabra:

Toriyama starts drawing the hair a lot shorter here as well buty , but he was doing a weekly manga so I don't know if it's possible to look into it too much:

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Mireya » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:08 am

He was drawn as a SSJ but written as a SSJ2. But most likely, since the story was kind of a mess at the time, I think the artwork depicts Toriyama's intentions better.

I've adopted your in-between states theory already and it can also be a good middle ground, like a blend of art and story. Plus, if Gohan were a SSj, Dabra couldn't be comparable to Cell. If Gohan were a SSJ2, it'd be workable, but Dabura would then likely be way stronger than Cell. A 1.5 SSJ can put Dabra right at Cell's level. That's good.