Dragon Ball in Concert (2023)

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball in Concert (2023)

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:19 am

A new official Dragon Ball concert called "Dragon Ball in Concert" will premiere in France on January 2023. This concert will feature music from Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Super!

Toei Animation Europe's announcement:
https://twitter.com/EuropeToei/status/1 ... 9721788419

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball in Concert (2023)

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:51 am

So the only difference from Symphonic Adventure is Super music is included? It's also annoying there will be tracks from Super, but not GT. Tokunaga's score is well liked so it should be included.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:05 pm

I would definitely go to see that if I had the money/time/resources. :D :D :D

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:57 pm

That downward-pitch slide whistle noise you hear is my interest in this concert dropping like a brick if it now includes music from Super.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:04 am

Kaboom wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:57 pm That downward-pitch slide whistle noise you hear is my interest in this concert dropping like a brick if it now includes music from Super.
Hey, it's just music, man. I'd give this and any other DB concerts a visit if I had the money
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:35 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:51 am So the only difference from Symphonic Adventure is Super music is included? It's also annoying there will be tracks from Super, but not GT. Tokunaga's score is well liked so it should be included.
GT is pretty much impossible buddy, there's isn't even a official soundtrack release for it, they can't get the tracks from it, and yeah I know, there were indeed Unreleased Z tracks in the Symphonic Adventure concert, but there's a reason for it, the Z score was the most famous one among all the others, and it has been 2 decades since fans ripped the cues from it, and they got a huge popularity everywhere around YT, so it would be easy for anyone to come across the Z unreleased cues, unlike the GT and 86 DB ones, that's why in the concerts you can only hear 86 DB cues that were released, also, the score for the 10th Animation Anniversary Movie, whcih was fully released and used in GT, it's definitely not as popular as the Z score.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:20 pm

I needed to heard once again the two volumes of the score only to catch it, it's "Trunks The Savior" from volume 2, and yeah, it was never used.
I already expected this to happen tho, for DB & Z, they also included tracks that were never used.
I don't like to watch it on twitter so I'll wait to watch the full thing in a better way in the future.
(I have a small feeling that "Chozetsu Dynamic (Hero Version)" also was performed)
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:49 pm

Full video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr-NttfVp_s

I noticed that they performed 3 unused soundtracks from Dragon Ball Super (18:43, 23:54 & 29:36) and 1 track from the Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods movie (7:23).

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:34 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:49 pm Full video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr-NttfVp_s

I noticed that they performed 3 unused soundtracks from Dragon Ball Super (18:43, 23:54 & 29:36) and 1 track from the Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods movie (7:23).
Thanks a lot for sharing ^^ The performance is awesome, and damn, they really found a good and natural way to replicate the synthesizers that many criticize in Sumitomo's early soundtracks, most tracks sound better than the original ones and the Vocal songs also have a incredible performance.
My only complaining is that the overall section of Super is too short, many tracks are only half performed, they are performing one track and then they suddenly cut to another one, this is sad because you can hear how much effort they put on it, with even special touches, for example, "Death Match with Goku Black" is performed with a extra background instrument that doesn't exist in the original track, the section being way too short also made them play a very limited number of tracks, for example, there aren't fan favorite tracks as "Freeza is Resurrected", imagine if they performed that one (which could have happened, for some reason, there are no fight scenes of Goku or Vegeta vs Freeza during the Golden Freeza arc part)
Hearing "Heroic Battle" from Goku Black arc while in the screen is shown the Golden Freeza arc, and "Fierce Battle Against Mighty Foe" from ToP while the screen shows the Black arc was interesting, but I really think they shouldn't have performed "Limit Break x Survivor" while on screen there was still footage of the Champa arc going on, of course, there is the context of a tournament, but I doubt that the audience didn't thought that was weird to hear the song so soon, even though they still liked the performance.
For the Z performance, they've played "We Were Angels" with the 2nd Opening playing on the screen, I wonder why they didn't do the same with Super's 2nd Opening.

In overall, the performance is truly awesome, but unfortunately, too short, many tracks are incomplete, and the placement/order of some is weird, giving the impression that this section for Super was rushed, at least imo.

Also, I'm surprised they didn't include any tracks from Kai Boo, but they included a track from the Battle of Gods movie, when in reality, no tracks from BoG were used in Super.

Also, a question, does the Z section really play after the Super one as seen in the end? That would be a really weird order lol.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:24 pm

No, he just performed Cha-La Head-Cha-La one last time.

Also, Dragon Ball in Concert uses different DB & DBZ scenes from Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq_ApcrSX9A

And I believe that those who made this concert had no idea of what tracks were used in DBS. It seems they just picked them judging by their title or something.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:54 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:24 pm No, he just performed Cha-La Head-Cha-La one last time.
Got it, thanks
And I believe that those who made this concert had no idea of what tracks were used in DBS. It seems they just picked them judging by their title or something.
Really, makes sense, could be that, but there are a few tracks that doesn't have hints on their names and even so they still correctly placed the saga in which they are used ("Dream Tag Match", "Time To Strike Back" and "Believe in Yourself String Ver." IIRC)
Also, Dragon Ball in Concert uses different DB & DBZ scenes from Dragon Ball Symphonic Adventure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq_ApcrSX9A
The performance definitelly sounds better and a overall improvement from Symphonic Adventure.
But regarding what you said previously about super, it's very possible that the same happened to DB 86 and Z.
You have for some reason The M700 score (Saiyans Saga tracks) and M1200 score (1st Cooler movie, used for Androids/Cell Saga) performerd at the Boo Saga, with almost all the tracks performed for that arc are the obvious intrumental variants of We Were Angels and We Gotta Power, but to be fair, Symphonic Adventures also had two tracks from Saiyans and two from 1st Cooler in the Boo Saga, but since DB In Concert is shorter, I think they could have performerd the Boo arc tracks and Bojack, 1st Broly, Bio Broly and Janemba tracks only.
It's interesting that they still kept M1216 (1st Cooler Movie) for late Freeza saga (that track isn't used in Freeza, only in Androids/Cell), which also happened in Symphonic Adventure. There's also that very modified version of M702 in End of Z, also happened in Symphonic Adventure.
But I think that in overall, the BGM selection, placement and Footage were all a downgrade from Symphonic Adventure.
For example, in Symphonic, for Vegeta's sacrifice, you had the very classic M1623 (sad track when Gohan Goes SSJ2 in Bojack movie), which was a perfect choice and indeed a trck used in the original series (at least two scenes prior to it). Here they replaced it with M741 from Saiyans saga, which sounds odd imo.
One of my favorite selections in Symphonic were M1206 and M1222 being performed for Trunks vs Freeza, while it's true that these two cues weren't used in the original scene, M1206 is a very iconic track that wa sused only twice in the series, and M1222 shares the same motif, in DB In Concert was used M1002 for when Trunks kills Freeza, which sounded great, but I still prefer the selection from Symphonic.
Not to mention that in Symphonic, they performerd Tapion's Ocarina Theme for a Trunks flashback, one of my favorite moments, a very creative choice, pretty sure it's absent in DB In Concert too.
And as I said before, the overall concert is shorter, I know there are cuts in the video, but you can easily notice that DB 86 and Z sections were much longer in Symphonic Adventures, specially DB 86 (wonder if they still perform "Mezase Tenkaichi"???), there's no more one of my favorite performances in the DB 86 section as well, M441, in Symphonic they included a new part for the track that doesn't exist in the original, and it sounded so good for me :(
They skipped Perfect Cell's first introduction, and it doesn't even have Vegetto fighting, it just cuts straight to Kid Boo lol (at least there was M1525), they also cut off Gohan's 2nd Scream during Unmei no Hi Tamashii.
And you can notice that the Vocal songs aren't synced very well with footage.
But at least there's a awesome performance of We Were Angels, which wasn't present in Symphonic Adventures :)
In summary, the performance definitely sounds better than in Symphonic Adventure.
But regarding the length, BGM and Footage Selection, it's a downgrade from Symphonic Adventure imo.
But I'm pretty sure that they didn't have much to do, they included Super, probably because of that, they had to cut a lot of parts of the DB 86 and DBZ sections, to shorten the concert and not make it too long, but the consequence is that many of the amazing performances that existed in Symphonic Adventure had to be scrapped, which is pretty sad. (at least I hope there's still Mezase Tenkaichi, and that video just didn't show it)

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:33 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:29 am What they were thinking? :?
https://youtu.be/UnZS-ib6tdg?t=1220
Just I as I said, yeah, I wouldn't say that they did it on purpose, but due to the addition of the Super Section, the DB 86 & Z ones had to be shortened, this made parts of the footage to be cut and also several BGMs to be left out, in the results, several tracks are performed with a background footage that wasn't supposed to be displayed during the performance of the specific track. Imo they clearly haven't reviewed the changes, maybe due to time schedule? Idk, I still think ditching M1623 for Vegeta's sacrifice was the worst tho :crazy: I hope Mezase Tenkaichi and Dragon Ball Densetsu are still there too.
TheRed259 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:43 pm They added 2 more tracks from DBS in this concert:
https://youtu.be/Hf3aLTXJ-So?t=1503
Blue Saiyan and Limit Break x Survivor Instrumental Type-B!
Wait what???? So they updated it?
Okay I have no doubts now, they really rushed it :(