The Arabic version of DBS is putting extra clothes on female characters

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: The Arabic version of DBS is putting extra clothes on female characters

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:04 pm

I don't really see how that's the case with the Kale's design, everyone of all genders wears track shorts like those, if anything, it's a somewhat conservative design for those type of clothes. Yurin, I think that's just fairly traditional clothing, it's not really overt or anything, and personally I wouldn't think twice about the design.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:05 pm

I'm impressed by the dedication, even if it gives the anime a "fan animation on youtube" flare. :lol: I guess Cauli's midrift showing would be a big obvious concern. Any midrift on a female would get that kind of reaction. Oddly enough Yurin's outfit felt the most conservative from what I remember. Her undergarment/wrapping/whatever didn't reveal any clevage. Fairly long dress skirt. Though I guess the "absolute territory" going on with her leggings would be an issue.

I'd love to see a detailed list about edits and changes made to Dragonball to fit regional cultural/religious standards.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:54 pm

wjbraden wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:53 pm Yes, this is kind of censorship is standard in every production that Studio Venus (the entity in question that dubs Dragon Ball, among many other popular anime such as My Hero Academia, Digimon, Hunter x Hunter) localizes. The company is based out of Syria, and is notorious for editing anime in ways that allow it to be acceptable for Muslim audiences, particularly children. Any female character that exposes skin will have it digitally painted over, as this is viewed as offensive to many in Muslim communities in the Middle East.
So it's just anime? Cause now I was wondering how Arabs handled the old Disney movies like the Mermaid and Aladdin lol. Those had more skin.

Either way these outfits actually look cool.