New Sand Land project announced

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: New Sand Land project announced

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:01 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:06 am
batistabus wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:31 pm Sand Land "will be animated in 2023"
https://twitter.com/sandland_pj/status/ ... 65632?s=21

New trailer:
https://youtu.be/--plyeEv4Ag

Looks pretty good! Maybe not as polished as Super Hero, but still good.

I don’t understand only devout Toriyama fans read this series why waste resources on this which could’ve going to Super. I heard the story was typical early 2000s Toriyama crap post Dragonball.
Toei Animation is not involved in this project. Dragon Ball is not going to suffer from this project existing.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:31 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:01 am

New trailer:

I don’t understand only devout Toriyama fans read this series why waste resources on this which could’ve going to Super. I heard the story was typical early 2000s Toriyama crap post Dragonball.
Toei Animation is not involved in this project. Dragon Ball is not going to suffer from this project existing.
They could have given Super to Sunrise they at least have a decent track record as an animation studio.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:55 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:31 am
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:01 am

They could have given Super to Sunrise they at least have a decent track record as an animation studio.
The Sand Land project in 3D, Dragon Ball would be hand drawn. Furthermore, Sunrise's hand drawn staff are all off working on other projects.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:35 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:31 am They could have given Super to Sunrise they at least have a decent track record as an animation studio.
-Dragon Ball IP
-Going to anyone but Toei Animation

It's funny how you think this even remotely has a chance of happening. This would be like Sunrise themselves handing Gundam over to anyone else.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:47 pm

New trailer:

Because Sand Land is really good. I don't know what "typical early 2000s Toriyama crap post" is supposed to mean, but it's not that. Also, I think the industry wants to push more CGI in general, so a less known but recognizable (as Toriyama's style) and critically acclaimed work like this is as good a choice as any.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:24 pm

GhostEmperorX wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:35 pm
YMK_8000 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:31 am They could have given Super to Sunrise they at least have a decent track record as an animation studio.
-Dragon Ball IP

It's funny how you think this even remotely has a chance of happening. This would be like Sunrise themselves handing Gundam over to anyone else.
I mean Dragonball is not an important IP if anything it’s below PreCure and Digimon in their eyes why wouldn’t they not hand it off if it isn’t profitable for them.

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:53 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:24 pm I mean Dragonball is not an important IP if anything it’s below PreCure and Digimon in their eyes why wouldn’t they not hand it off if it isn’t profitable for them.
Well with all their mishandling of the series, the best thing to do would definitely have been to hand it off to someone else, and there's many who want that, but as long as they can somehow cash grab off the series in whatever way they can, they're still not going to let go of it.
They would sooner let all their archives rot than do this (and I have a feeling they already did).

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:42 am

batistabus wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:47 pm

New trailer:

Because Sand Land is really good. I don't know what "typical early 2000s Toriyama crap post" is supposed to mean, but it's not that. Also, I think the industry wants to push more CGI in general, so a less known but recognizable (as Toriyama's style) and critically acclaimed work like this is as good a choice as any.
From what I’ve heard it’s a very crappy story just like all the other ones Toriyama did not named Dr slump or Dragonball. There is a reason very few know about this in the greater anime community.

Critically acclaimed ??? lmao please even on Futaba Channel ( popular japanese message board) they are clowning the hell out the advertisement which is calling a one volume manga that got cancelled a masterpiece :D

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:17 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:42 am

From what I’ve heard
Maybe you should learn to form your own opinions.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:58 pm

Julie kinda nailed it with a one-and-done there, but holy cow, wow yeah. There's just so much wrong with that post that I can't help myself here.

Folks, at least let it be a perfect example of what not to do: making (baseless) assumptions, having a distinct lack of any historical knowledge whatsoever, and mindlessly parroting other critiques without actually having ever read/watched something yourself.

That said:

There's an incredible argument for Dragon Ball being the anomaly and wholly unrepresentative of Toriyama's work (up through and including artwork, structure, timing, dialog, etc.). If you're using Dragon Ball as the basis to compare his works, you've got it all backward.

I find it particularly... ill-informed? Naive? Ignorant? Disingenuous? Trolling?... to say that no-one cares about Sand Land. In addition to its collected volume in Japan, it came at the perfect point in America: right in the mid/late peak Toonami era (2003) in the release of Viz's Shonen Jump print magazine. Fans were getting indoctrinated into the larger world of manga right then at the perfect age with the perfect medium.

Sand Land is absolutely fucking beloved by an entire generation of English-speaking otaku, Dragon Ball fans and beyond, because of this magazine. This was HOLY TEXT to them.

It's OK not to know things. Instead of just blindly making up complete nonsense to post on a forum, you could literally do anything else to be more informed! Ask questions! Read the work yourself!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:17 pm
YMK_8000 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:42 am
From what I’ve heard
Maybe you should learn to form your own opinions.
Do you not look at a review or research before watching/reading something to see if it’s any good or do you go in blind?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:40 pm

Now, admittedly, I kind of dislike how cold-souding my last post sounds since I certainly thought the words in my noggin with a gentler tone but, like...art (and art discussion) is not a competition. Nobody is #Winning anything by saying The Right Thing™; it's a waste of time to post with that kind of attitude (most of my nearly 15,765 posts were made partaking in that nonsense, so I get the desire to go down that path). Historical fact, opinions and gay ol' fun are really the other useful things on a discussion board. How Shueisha can steal more money from their employees is something I don't want to put out into the world unless it's to deride them for it.

...gosh now that I think about it I don't think I've read Sand Land since that Bush fucker was still in office.
YMK_8000 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:06 pmDo you not look at a review or research before watching/reading something to see if it’s any good or do you go in blind?
Not often. I mostly read reviews after I've experienced a piece to see if someone else caught something I missed. On the rare occasion I check out a review before partaking in a piece of work it's mostly because I'm already planning checking the work out or have pre-conceived notions about the work that I'm interested in seeing if they were accurate. I ultimately just focus on what I think first-and-foremost in accordance with my own tastes and life experiences.

I've been on this forum since 2006 and I was using forums in 2001 (although I think the Edo Message Boards are long lost now, my earliest surviving accounts are from 2004). In addition to that, I've been using the interweebs since 1998. All that preamble is to say that I've just learned to rely on my own intuition and not blindly follow what other people say without considering first-and-foremost how these things affect me, my needs and my own life experiences and feelings. That's why I can gush over Toriyama's paneling in one thread and tear him a new one for his writing of women and queer people in another thread.

If a tired woman that needs to go eat breakfast can offer an egg in these trying times: chicken noodle soup tastes better for the soul when you have some life experiences to reflect back on to understand who made the sausage, what sausage was made, when the sausage was made, why the sausage was made and how the sausage was made.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:26 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:06 pm Do you not look at a review or research before watching/reading something to see if it’s any good or do you go in blind?
At the risk of seemingly (well, actually) singling you out here:

That's not what you did, though. You read some comments on a single other forum, equated them as being universal, uncritically regurgitated them back out as a fact, and doubled down onward with a bunch of other incorrect statements.

Another example of your incorrect analysis / false statements: Sand Land wasn't "cancelled". Toriyama was exclusively doing one-shots and short, planned series at that point. Sand Land wasn't even his first 12+ chapter series post-Dragon Ball: it was his third. This was his entire modus operandi of the era.

I think it's pretty apparent that you don't have any familiarity with ANY of the topics that you're attempting to discuss here. That in and of itself isn't a problem; it's actually a really great opportunity for you! Rather than, as I've already mentioned, just continuing to parrot out things you don't actually know (and in fact are actually false), you should be striving to learn more. You can do that through asking questions, reading the material yourself, and checking out a wider variety of sources. Thankfully you've come to a great place to do just that!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:46 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:24 pm
GhostEmperorX wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:35 pm
-Dragon Ball IP

I mean Dragonball is not an important IP if anything it’s below PreCure and Digimon in their eyes why wouldn’t they not hand it off if it isn’t profitable for them.
Bro, not to add to the dogpile -- although I'm totally about to do it -- but this is an equally baffling claim. In what xenoverse is Dragon Ball, literally one of the most commercially successful franchises of all time, not a profitable or important IP? Like, I'm genuinely curious.

RE: using reviews and first impressions to form an opinion -- of course, it's fair to use those to generally gauge your interest in something, but nobody can truly say anything substantive or qualitative about the work without fully engaging with it first. There was quite a bit of this attitude in the Super Hero thread; people who hadn't seen it themselves were claiming they knew more than the few users who'd actually seen the movie in Japanese cinemas. In this case, roundly dismissing both Sand Land and all of Toriyama's other less franchiseable manga work does you no favours, particularly because it's clear you have less than the bare basic knowledge of these works and doing some research would show that they are generally regarded extremely highly by manga communities beyond Futaba Channel, which is hardly a great litmus test. I'm sure this point has been hammered in enough so that's all I'll say.

Anyhow, this trailer looks great! The second Beelzebub appears, it feels like he leapt straight out of Toriyama's world and I couldn't help but smile. The animation style is really cool.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:37 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:46 pm

Bro, not to add to the dogpile -- although I'm totally about to do it -- but this is an equally baffling claim. In what xenoverse is Dragon Ball, literally one of the most commercially successful franchises of all time, not a profitable or important IP? Like, I'm genuinely curious.

RE: using reviews and first impressions to form an opinion -- of course, it's fair to use those to generally gauge your interest in something, but nobody can truly say anything substantive or qualitative about the work without fully engaging with it first. There was quite a bit of this attitude in the Super Hero thread; people who hadn't seen it themselves were claiming they knew more than the few users who'd actually seen the movie in Japanese cinemas. In this case, roundly dismissing both Sand Land and all of Toriyama's other less franchiseable manga work does you no favours, particularly because it's clear you have less than the bare basic knowledge of these works and doing some research would show that they are generally regarded extremely highly by manga communities beyond Futaba Channel, which is hardly a great litmus test. I'm sure this point has been hammered in enough so that's all I'll say.

Anyhow, this trailer looks great! The second Beelzebub appears, it feels like he leapt straight out of Toriyama's world and I couldn't help but smile. The animation style is really cool.
I mean are we gonna overlook that Superhero bombed in damn near every country (including it’s home country) it was released in besides North America. Like that actually happened you know. right now Dragonball is a middle of the pack to lower
Echelon anime franchise & before 2018 gets brought up that was one fluke year. It is not a profitable IP at this point in time.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:56 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:37 pm
I mean are we gonna overlook that Superhero bombed in damn near every country (including it’s home country) it was released in besides North America. Like that actually happened you know. right now Dragonball is a middle of the pack to lower
Echelon anime franchise & before 2018 gets brought up that was one fluke year. It is not a profitable IP at this point in time.
A quick Google search will tell you that Super Hero grossed $93 million worldwide and ranks highly in lists of the best performing anime movies in several countries (and yes, even in Japan, which naturally has a far larger audience for anime movies, Super Hero did respectably well in a competitive market). By what definition is that a bomb?

EDIT: For comparison, the latest Digimon movie grossed $24 million. The PreCure franchise is popular but appeals to a much more niche, mostly-Japan-exclusive audience. That's not to dismiss them as they are of course great money-spinners for Toei in different ways, just as Dragon Ball certainly makes most of its money from merchandising and other media.

I genuinely don't understand your definition of success because you haven't explained it at all, but I have a small hunch that your personal bias against the film has something to do with it, am I wrong? Whatever the case may be, your position here comes off as more than a bit delusional.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:32 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:56 pm
YMK_8000 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:37 pm
A quick Google search will tell you that Super Hero grossed $93 million worldwide and ranks highly in lists of the best performing anime movies in several countries (and yes, even in Japan, which naturally has a far larger audience for anime movies, Super Hero did respectably well in a competitive market). By what definition is that a bomb?

EDIT: For comparison, the latest Digimon movie grossed $24 million. The PreCure franchise is popular but appeals to a much more niche, mostly-Japan-exclusive audience. That's not to dismiss them as they are of course great money-spinners for Toei in different ways, just as Dragon Ball certainly makes most of its money from merchandising and other media.

I genuinely don't understand your definition of success because you haven't explained it at all, but I have a small hunch that your personal bias against the film has something to do with it, am I wrong? Whatever the case may be, your position here comes off as more than a bit delusional.

Look at the other movies of Jump and Anime works that recently released in 2021/2022 most over 100 million some even 200 million.

93 million should be a walk in the park for Dragonball if it’s so profitable. Not a Herculean struggle to get to.

My issue is mostly when the lights are the brightest and it’s time for this franchise to show & prove. Almost always falls flat on its face every time. Broly is the only exception.No bias but SH it’s objectively a bad film on multiple levels But that’s for another thread.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:16 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:32 pm Look at the other movies of Jump and Anime works that recently released in 2021/2022 most over 100 million some even 200 million.

93 million should be a walk in the park for Dragonball if it’s so profitable. Not a Herculean struggle to get to.

My issue is mostly when the lights are the brightest and it’s time for this franchise to show & prove. Almost always falls flat on its face every time. Broly is the only exception.No bias but SH it’s objectively a bad film on multiple levels But that’s for another thread.
I'm going to chime in here, because you kept making unfounded claims that Dragon Ball was not "a important IP". Like, what in the world that made you come to such a strange conclusion here? Like, what dots are you connecting with?

Dragon Ball has been, and will always be, popular and very important IP for Toei. The series had constantly been breaking the records when the manga was in serialization. The TV series made the strong TV rating week in and week out. It was so popular that they even green lit ill-fated Dragon Ball GT. When Dragon Ball series both in manga form and anime was released in the countries, specifically North America, it blew up through the roof in terms of profitability and popularity. Even with it being drought in Japan in media for decades, it still managed to stay popular. Enough that they decided to produce modern Dragon Ball movies. We can't also forget about their constantly releasing video games. Those are the marks of a important IP.

To recap:

1. Record-selling manga
2. Strong TV rating week in and out
3. Branched out multiple movies and video games
4. Multiple TV sequels
5. Strong box offices

I see no other IPs that came close to Dragon Ball in terms of enduring the legacy other than One Piece and maybe Naruto, but that's beside the point. Dragon Ball will always make money and produce a new generation for many years to come. Dragon Ball will always be an important IP to Toei.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:41 pm

I like the theory Sand Land takes place on U6 Earth.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:05 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:06 pmDo you not look at a review or research before watching/reading something to see if it’s any good or do you go in blind?
Sand Land is a short manga so it's actually quicker to read it yourself and form your own opinion than looking through forums to read other people's opinions.
YMK_8000 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:32 pmLook at the other movies of Jump and Anime works that recently released in 2021/2022 most over 100 million some even 200 million.

You've said this on a few threads now. If you thought SH was objectively bad, shouldn't you be happy it wasn't as successful? At least by your standard since you believe it's a flop if it's not one of few anime films in history to reach $200 million.