New Sand Land project announced

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: New Sand Land project announced

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:01 pm

There is something so hilarious about everyone expecting to see a new trailer for Tenkaichi 4 at Summer Games Fest, only for us to get a video game announcement for Sand Land instead. :lol:

Rumours of a DB web anime?… Sand Land gets announced.

Possibility of a new Tenkaichi 4 trailer?… Sand Land gets announced.

Despite how bitter I am with the current state of Dragon Ball, this new Sand Land game looks really good! I’m a massive fan of the way Toriyama designs vehicles, so it’s awesome to see that you can control a bunch of them in this game.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:06 pm

I'm surprise it took us this long to get a Sandland adaption.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:30 am

Yeah, it came out of a nowhere and I remember reading it when it was fairly new, like two years... 20 years now! 23 from release to be exact.
After Dragon Ball, Z and GT ended with the manga complete, I was desperate for all Toriyama stuff as I love his artstyle alone and this was the next thing on my list with Neko Majin (I already knew Dr. Slump from TV, as it ran alongside original DB back then in anime TV slot on RTL7)
I am incredibly happy about this and it gives me a glimmer of hope, that Jaco and other works might get adapted as well some day!

I will honestly prefer Dragon Ball to get this kind of legacy, higher production treatment after Super.
Preferably movies because even the OVAs are not something to be blown away by from TOEI.
But I do like all the Dragon Ball movies since 2010s, as they are great to look at, the writing is good and it's well thought off
and as I rewatched Super Hero recently, it reminded me how much fun the movie was.
In comparison to cheaply and hastily produced TV series with plotholes and lackluster writing that's not even that nice to look at.

From the trailers and everything so far, I guess that this would be the most faithful adaptation of Toriyama's art and story to date!
Can't wait to see the complete movie, I will probably reread the manga in the meantime to check the differences afterwards :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:50 pm

I wonder why they choose to adapt 23 year old manga? I'm surprise it didn't came out in the early 2000s.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:43 am

People who will attend the SAND LAND movie premiere in theaters in Japan will receive a newly drawn illustration by Akira Toriyama and a special Super Dragon Ball Heroes collaboration card as a gift.

https://twitter.com/sandland_pj_jp/stat ... 8176276480

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:46 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:50 pm I wonder why they choose to adapt 23 year old manga? I'm surprise it didn't came out in the early 2000s.
Yeah, I have no idea myself, but I am happy that they did!
I wonder how will the movie fare with the audience tho, because yeah, the manga is fun, we know the story.
But will it be enough to pull out old story from Toriyama? Will it work because of his credit as an author with audience today?
His artstyle is iconic and because of DB, I went back to check Dr. Slump, Sandland and his other one shots,
but I am afraid if anyone will go to see this because they expect it to be like or to be next Dragon Ball, they will probably be dissapointed.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:45 pm

Trouser wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:32 am The absence of Toei Animation is a good sign.
Not really considering these days the animation Toei puts out is on par if not superior to Mappa & Ufotable. This does not look impressive sad considering Kamikaze Douga knock the Jojo intros out the park.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:04 pm

First 15 minutes plus a message from Toriyama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObKDds0BMBc
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:53 pm

I didn't realize it until now, but they got Kan'no Toshiyuki to do the character designs (the 2D designs?) for this movie. Kan'no was a key animator for the Studio Live episodes of Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT and typically had really good character art. It's interesting to see them working on a Toriyama animated adaption again, even if it's just to provide 2D animation character designs.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:22 am

I am excited about reading that there are some extras to the original manga story :)
Without spoilers, is that something substantial, really extra or just expanding the content of the original?
If anybody knows.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:13 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:04 pm First 15 minutes plus a message from Toriyama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObKDds0BMBc
There's a good english subbed version of this on a piracy website now by the group Saizen :)

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:02 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:13 amThere's a good english subbed version of this on a piracy website now by the group Saizen :)
It comes next year in North America. I'm not sure about other countries though. I admit I don't always watch something legally but this is one of those movies that I want to wait and support the official release. It only grossed around $3 million so far. I don't know what the budget was but I assume it's higher than that based on other anime movies. If it loses money, it probably sends a message to the studios that lesser known manga titles aren't worth adapting. I still hope one day for a Neko Majin movie :D.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:24 am

Skar wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:02 am
sangofe wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:13 amThere's a good english subbed version of this on a piracy website now by the group Saizen :)
It comes next year in North America. I'm not sure about other countries though. I admit I don't always watch something legally but this is one of those movies that I want to wait and support the official release. It only grossed around $3 million so far. I don't know what the budget was but I assume it's higher than that based on other anime movies. If it loses money, it probably sends a message to the studios that lesser known manga titles aren't worth adapting. I still hope one day for a Neko Majin movie :D.
I got angry earlier because my message was edited by a mod without asking me. I've now deleted that response but I wanna make a new clarifying reply. I didn't want to include the group that subbed it. Just mention that it's online. It's incredibly rude to edit messages that don't break rules without informing the post about it. I now realize the mod who did probably wanted to make it easier for people to find the subbed promo but still. Having my post edited like this made me so mad that I had an extra round asking myself why I post here.

Also, there's a reason I set up a project to have the promo subbed, and that's so people go see the release of the full movie. I hope it gets a bit international release and success

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:24 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:24 amI got angry earlier because my message was edited by a mod without asking me. I've now deleted that response but I wanna make a new clarifying reply. I didn't want to include the group that subbed it. Just mention that it's online. It's incredibly rude to edit messages that don't break rules without informing the post about it. I now realize the mod who did probably wanted to make it easier for people to find the subbed promo but still. Having my post edited like this made me so mad that I had an extra round asking myself why I post here.

Also, there's a reason I set up a project to have the promo subbed, and that's so people go see the release of the full movie. I hope it gets a bit international release and success
Ah ok no worries. I knew there would probably be fansubs for the entire movie online soon and worried this group might be doing it. I always get sad seeing lesser known movies losing money because then we might start getting less of those kind of movies :(. Well I don't know Sandland's budget but I would assume a few million not including marketing costs so more likely than its current box office. I'm not sure what kind of release it'll have in other countries so I'm hoping it does better by next year.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:39 pm

SAND LAND: THE SERIES announced for Spring 2024. Will feature a new story by Akira Toriyama.

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:46 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:39 pm SAND LAND: THE SERIES announced for Spring 2024. Will feature a new story by Akira Toriyama.

Wow, Toriyama has been busy lately.

Dragon ball master
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon ball master » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:00 am

Disney + really, This reminds me that Disney has the rights to make a dragon ball movie. I remember those leaks where you get to see goku In that disney style but it was just a fan art.
Also I feel very disappointed that the sandland game is not coming to switch.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:20 am

Disney + is kind of a shocking twist.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:10 pm

Unless I am blind, I didn't see a studio mentioned—although the film's director will also be the series director for this series. If I had to guess, this series will be mostly hand drawn—aside from vehicles—so it'll be interesting to see what kind of staff are working on it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter