Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 88 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 88 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:29 am

Trouser wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:28 pm
Bardock God of Time wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:06 pm
pepd wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:46 pm I loved that Trunks is not good at computers and is not interested in Capsule Corp, even when in GT he doesn't likes to work there, the fact that he is not good at it and doesn't have intention of working there in the future kind of shits on expectations in a very Tori/DB way.

About Goten, I kind of like that he doesn't have eccentric quirks; in a world where everyone has one, being more normal could be his. Hope they use that and not only his innocence, that while engaging, is also part of other characters.
I'm thinking that Bra will be smart like Bulma, I guess we'll have to wait and see what Toyo does with her in this arc (if she appears at all).
Bra being a total 1:1 of Bulma would be bad. She's better off a "clothing" girl like in GT. But she shouldn't be dumb (not that she ever was).
Perhaps she ought to be into both fashion AND tech. A simple compromise, isn't it?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:02 am

And a fighter. There must be more female fighters too.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:38 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:29 am
Trouser wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:28 pm
Bardock God of Time wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:06 pm
I'm thinking that Bra will be smart like Bulma, I guess we'll have to wait and see what Toyo does with her in this arc (if she appears at all).
Bra being a total 1:1 of Bulma would be bad. She's better off a "clothing" girl like in GT. But she shouldn't be dumb (not that she ever was).
Perhaps she ought to be into both fashion AND tech. A simple compromise, isn't it?
Yes, of course. That's a good idea too.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

The Golden God

Post by The Golden God » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:40 pm

Very boring chapter, felt like a filler. Then again the beginning if the Boo saga with Gohan playing around as Great Saiyaman was also very fillerish and this is obviously a call back to that arc. But this manga is monthly as waiting for something to happen is way more arduous. Hopefully the next chapter gives us a hint of the next big scary villain, because these frankenstein mooks ain’t it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:42 pm

The Golden God wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:40 pm Very boring chapter, felt like a filler. Then again the beginning if the Boo saga with Gohan playing around as Great Saiyaman was also very fillerish and this is obviously a call back to that arc. But this manga is monthly as waiting for something to happen is way more arduous. Hopefully the next chapter gives us a hint of the next big scary villain, because these frankenstein mooks ain’t it.
Why did it feel like a filler? It established a new status quo and character dynamics.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

The Golden God

Post by The Golden God » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:07 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:42 pm
The Golden God wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:40 pm Very boring chapter, felt like a filler. Then again the beginning if the Boo saga with Gohan playing around as Great Saiyaman was also very fillerish and this is obviously a call back to that arc. But this manga is monthly as waiting for something to happen is way more arduous. Hopefully the next chapter gives us a hint of the next big scary villain, because these frankenstein mooks ain’t it.
Why did it feel like a filler? It established a new status quo and character dynamics.
I said it FELT like filler, and filler often does establish that like in the beginning of the Garlic Jr Saga it set up a new status quo for the filler arc. It gave us no idea where the series is headed beyond slice of life stuff with Goten and Trunks. There was no hype, there was no foreshadowing of a looming threat that will challenge the heroes, just Dr. Gero’s great grandson being a thorn in the side of capsule corp, not a serious threat.

Like I said the beginning of the Buu arc also felt fillerish, but since it was weekly it went by fast, this is monthly.

It would have been a better chapter imo if it gave us an idea if this was before or after the events of the recent movie, if they were going to give us a different version of the movie or just note that it happened. There was just no new interesting information given to us in the chapter. Goten and Trunks are in highschool, Dr. Gero’s great grandson is a small-time villain, Trunks is still crushing on Mai, they are both Saiyamans because they’re bored. Maybe the next chapter will be more interesting but we have to wait a month for that and that’s a long time.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:21 am

Filler is eight months of anime about Goku's crew mopping up the "Fodder of the Week" in a pointlessly cluttered tournament. Filler is when the Moro arc dedicates a considerable chunk of its time to irrelevant dudes fighting other irrelevant dudes that didn't have a role in the actual arc. Filler is nine chapters of Gas going "This isn't even my final form" while contributing absolutely nothing to a story that was actually about another character entirely.

This ain't that; it's a pretty focused (as of this first chapter) prequel tale about two young dorks coming of age and figuring out what they want to do as they play at being superheroes, and that kind of story has to get its foothold by establishing who these guys are, what their relationship is, what their lives and routines are like, and so on. Droves of pointless "hype" or some big grand scope, it needs not and requires not.

Just relax and let this play out. Thus far, it has a promising start – but then again, so did the Nature Valley™ arc.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:20 am

A couple delayed thoughts:

I just realized that the Saiyaman X are wearing hoods instead of helmets. Thinking about their outfits in general...how did they get those? The visor looks like Tagoma's scouter, and the outfits generally look like Saiyan armor. Are these prototype outfits Bulma made for Vegeta that Trunks stole? Or maybe Trunks just took them directly from Vegeta's closet since he's been away...

My immediate assumption about Gero's "Confidential Disc" is that it's a red herring and probably just a video game or something. Based on DBS:SH, Hedo hates Gero and was reluctant to recrate his work with Cell Max. But if Gero had a rare collectors item that Hedo valued...Hedo could probably overlook that. It looks very much like a retro video game console. It could also be something sentimental related to his mom (or dad, I forget who is related to Gero), but I think that's less likely.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:39 am

batistabus wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:20 am A couple delayed thoughts:

I just realized that the Saiyaman X are wearing hoods instead of helmets. Thinking about their outfits in general...how did they get those? The visor looks like Tagoma's scouter, and the outfits generally look like Saiyan armor. Are these prototype outfits Bulma made for Vegeta that Trunks stole? Or maybe Trunks just took them directly from Vegeta's closet since he's been away...

My immediate assumption about Gero's "Confidential Disc" is that it's a red herring and probably just a video game or something. Based on DBS:SH, Hedo hates Gero and was reluctant to recrate his work with Cell Max. But if Gero had a rare collectors item that Hedo valued...Hedo could probably overlook that. It looks very much like a retro video game console. It could also be something sentimental related to his mom (or dad, I forget who is related to Gero), but I think that's less likely.
I figured they may have home-made it based on Capsule Corp leftover materials or they got the Pilaf gang to make them like they did with Trunks' transformation watch

A rare video game being locked in a safe would be funny, though the interview indicated that they might be delving deeper into it (i.e. deeper than that) this month's chapter

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:18 am

If they want to put the manga in the same continuity of the Super Hero movie, I doubt that the disc can contain anything groundbreaking, e.g. it can't contain blueprints of Cell Max, since they were surprised when it appeared. Maybe it can be the chance for Lapis and Lazuli to find out their real names, though.

Unless it does contain interesting stuff, but it's encrypted, so they can't access it in time.

That, or they can simply change the continuity, I guess.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:04 am

Teen Goten has the best haircut in the series. However it's drawn so inconsistently. Sometimes it looks like Goku's hair but brush down, other times it looks like a shorter version of Saiyan Saga Gohan hair, and other times it looks like Yamcha and Goku hair fused together.
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:19 pm

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:46 am

batistabus wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:19 pm

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:11 pm

Hell yes! Keep this going - I'm loving it

I wonder how much they'll change the manga from the movie...hmmmm... I hope they give the kids a bit more to do

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:48 am

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:46 am
batistabus wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:19 pm

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:54 am

batistabus wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:48 am
Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:46 am