Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 88 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 88 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:11 am

Those dorks, they're into such a lame super hero!!

Love the cyber theft joke. And the callback to Pilaf being super smart in the Future Trunks arc.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:28 am

Grimlock wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:11 am It's probably going to be addressed in the chapter proper, but going just by the summary, it kinda seems like Dragon Ball Super Super Hero takes place in the same year as Granolah saga. If that turns out to be the case, Moro saga will have to change too, as it takes place just a few months before it.

Anyway, hopefully Toyotaro gets rid of any "gag" scenes with Goku and Vegeta during their training (seen in the movie). These dudes should be trembling in fear of Freeza. They should be training for their lives... literally.
There was a time skip in the Granolah arc. Goku and Vegeta spent a while training with Whis and Beerus before getting called to go to Cereal. Granolah also had to wait for news from the Heeters.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:08 am

By the second page posted, it looks like Dr. Hedo and his gang of zombies (supermarket workers, was it?) will be part of this arc, hopefully that they're not the main antagonists but Magenta and Carmin are. I would love to see an Armoured Magenta putted to use, and to learn what Carmin does in the Red Ribbon Army besides driving his boss around.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:46 am

YamiGoku wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:55 pmIn Toei eyes, Super Hero cant acknowledge Black Frieza without confusing the anime only fans, there wasnt a reason for them to look concern if they cant explain why they look concern, but even if they put that on the movie, I dont think it would have amounted to much in terms of acting concerned/serious.
I used to buy that "excuse", but then there's "Vegeta's brother" they keep mentioning. I'm a Western person, I don't know who that is. If they are concerned about confusing a particular group of people, they should be concerned about confusing every group of people.
YamiGoku wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:55 pmIn the end I hope the new ark makes us both happy, and everyone likes it, I need the DB comeback, I like Super Hero but I want more good stuff.
I think I'll be satisfied with its beginning at least. Goten and Trunks are finally grown up and they'll be protagonists, it's one of the things I've been most looking forward in modern Dragon Ball. I will have to back off and wait until we get to see new stuff again if Toyotaro starts retelling the movie, though... Hopefully he skips the movie.
OLKv3 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:28 amThere was a time skip in the Granolah arc. Goku and Vegeta spent a while training with Whis and Beerus before getting called to go to Cereal. Granolah also had to wait for news from the Heeters.
I think I missed that one, I only know about the timeskip in the beginning, which sets Moro and Granolah sagas apart from each other by several months. Is it a timeskip of days or weeks at best?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Oxymoron

Post by Oxymoron » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:51 am

Nice callback to Pilaf genius in the future trunks arc lol Ig the Pilaf gang still live at CC
Now that think about Bulma could have her own team of genius scientists (Now even Hedo works in cc since DBS:SH)
trunks and Goten go to the same school?
Iirc wasn't trunks (and even goten in DBS) not huge fan of saiyaman in the buu arc?
Also Is that Mai on the chapter Cover? (Upper right corner)

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:03 pm

Some thought about the draft :
I think it is a nice start. I would have liked to see what lead them to become super heroes to begin with but wathever.

It was a nice callback to the early boo Saga when Gohan used to arrest thiefts in his spare time. It seems that Goten is going to the same university than Gohan. Though is badge looks different. Definately not Orange Star.

I think that funny that out of the two it's Goten who is implied to be a geek and not Trunks. Goten the peasan"s son is onto computers and not Trunks the son of a multi-billionarry high-tech scientist.

I find it a bit disappointing that we didn't see a single arc, where they were given a proper teenager design. You know, something between 7yo and 16yo.
Like gohan in the Cell Game (11yo) or Future Trunks in the Special Chapter (14yo).
I like gradual changes.

By the way, the excuse that, since they are saiyans, they biologically age differently than human and have a sudden growth spurt near the end of puberty is funny but .... what about Marron and Maï ? They aren't sayans and were as small as the first two.

I hope they'll fixes that in the anime when it returns. Could be done during the Broly, Moro and Granolah's arc.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:01 pm

I'm pretty sure their currently designs are their "proper teenager designs", after all, Goten is fifteen and Trunks is sixteen.

If I could put Goten and Trunks from Dragon Ball Super Super Hero beside their own selves from the end of the series, it seems to me that both of them from the latter look a little taller. We'd need to have an official comparison chart of height to be sure, of course. I think both of them have a cool and satisfactory "in between kid-adult" designs (despite Trunks' blue hair coming out of... the blue get it!? =D). And there's still teen Gotenks to be seen.

I'm also expecting to see how Marron and Mai look like at this point, as well as Bra, of course. Hopefully Toyotaro doesn't forget about the girls. It's slice of life and it's a manga with many panels, not limited by time, so it's the perfect moment and opportunity to show everyone.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:18 pm

I know people say that Teen Gotenks won't show up but what if:

Potara Fusion Goten+Trunks?

If they're that bad at fusion, why not use the Potara earrings? Maybe Bulma was given emergency ones from Whis or something.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:17 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:01 pm I'm pretty sure their currently designs are their "proper teenager designs", after all, Goten is fifteen and Trunks is sixteen.

If I could put Goten and Trunks from Dragon Ball Super Super Hero beside their own selves from the end of the series, it seems to me that both of them from the latter look a little taller. We'd need to have an official comparison chart of height to be sure, of course. I think both of them have a cool and satisfactory "in between kid-adult" designs (despite Trunks' blue hair coming out of... the blue get it!? =D). And there's still teen Gotenks to be seen.

I'm also expecting to see how Marron and Mai look like at this point, as well as Bra, of course. Hopefully Toyotaro doesn't forget about the girls. It's slice of life and it's a manga with many panels, not limited by time, so it's the perfect moment and opportunity to show everyone.
Mai seems to be on the right of the arc spread, she's wearing a suit & looks older.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:12 pm

I hope we won't see Gotenks or his Potara counterpart.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:12 pm

The fact that normal Gotenks was only teased in DBSSH made me think, at the time, that they were saving it for something. This seems like that something?

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:42 am

I still want to see a "tier-2" fusion of Gotenks and Gogeta, and now that the kids are taller, it might actually happen.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:41 am

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:17 pmMai seems to be on the right of the arc spread, she's wearing a suit & looks older.
Very cool. Though she retains the same eyes her future self has. I don't know if that's her eyes in the manga but it's quite different in the anime. Well, be that as it may, she retains her long hair, which is more important.

Anyway, do we know exactly when this takes place? I see that Hedo is free, but according to the movie, he should be in prison. Carmine says they'll have to wait three months for Hedo to be released. Going by how they greet each other, they actually waited those three months, they didn't bail him out or anything. We don't know exactly when Hedo got in jail, but this has to be way before the events of the movie (opposing my initial thought that it takes place just days or weeks before the movie). With luck, Toyotaro will clarify that with less vagueness as possible.

Trunks' Super Saiyan hairstyle is now the same as his future self's, but we have yet to see how Goten's hairstyle will look as a Super Saiyan. I think it won't stand up at all, although that kind of hairstyle would make his Super Saiyan 2 more distinguishable by spiking up (and it would've been great to see it, but Goten and Trunks getting Super Saiyan 2? Especially Goten, of all people? No chance!).

Black Freeza naturally looks better than Golden Freeza. Which is to be expected, you can never go wrong with the black and white color scheme. This should have been his one and only transformation these days. Not that ugliness Movie 15 brought.

~ Day of the Machines ~

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:22 am

I think that’s the first time I see black people in Dragon Ball that aren’t drawn in a… “outdated” style. Pretty cool.
Grimlock wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:41 am Anyway, do we know exactly when this takes place? I see that Hedo is free, but according to the movie, he should be in prison. Carmine says they'll have to wait three months for Hedo to be released. Going by how they greet each other, they actually waited those three months, they didn't bail him out or anything. We don't know exactly when Hedo got in jail, but this has to be way before the events of the movie (opposing my initial thought that it takes place just days or weeks before the movie). With luck, Toyotaro will clarify that with less vagueness as possible.

Trunks' Super Saiyan hairstyle is now the same as his future self's, but we have yet to see how Goten's hairstyle will look as a Super Saiyan. I think it won't stand up at all, although that kind of hairstyle would make his Super Saiyan 2 more distinguishable by spiking up (and it would've been great to see it, but Goten and Trunks getting Super Saiyan 2? Especially Goten, of all people? No chance!).

Black Freeza naturally looks better than Golden Freeza. Which is to be expected, you can never go wrong with the black and white color scheme. This should have been his one and only transformation these days. Not that ugliness Movie 15 brought.
Didn’t Hedo go to jail because of his zombies? They’re featured quite prominently in the leaks, so I think this is before he was even arrested. All Toyotaro has to do is keep Piccolo alway from the plot and it will all flow nicely.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:49 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:41 amVery cool. Though she retains the same eyes her future self has. I don't know if that's her eyes in the manga but it's quite different in the anime.
Wait till you find out about Yamchas eye change ;)
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:56 am

I wonder if those zombie characters are a reference to the zombies in Dragon Ball Z Movie #12?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:08 pm

I would rather to have a new story but whatever, Super Hero is one of my favourite DB movies. Saw some scans and I'm loving what I saw. Didn't care much for Great Saiyaman arc, but Goten/Trunks/Hedo should make this one better.

it definitely takes place before Hedo got arrested because of his zombies.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:11 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:22 am I think that’s the first time I see black people in Dragon Ball that aren’t drawn in a… “outdated” style. Pretty cool.
Grimlock wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:41 am Anyway, do we know exactly when this takes place? I see that Hedo is free, but according to the movie, he should be in prison. Carmine says they'll have to wait three months for Hedo to be released. Going by how they greet each other, they actually waited those three months, they didn't bail him out or anything. We don't know exactly when Hedo got in jail, but this has to be way before the events of the movie (opposing my initial thought that it takes place just days or weeks before the movie). With luck, Toyotaro will clarify that with less vagueness as possible.

Didn’t Hedo go to jail because of his zombies? They’re featured quite prominently in the leaks, so I think this is before he was even arrested. All Toyotaro has to do is keep Piccolo alway from the plot and it will all flow nicely.
Does Pan's teacher mean nothing to you? :lol:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:35 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:22 amDidn’t Hedo go to jail because of his zombies? They’re featured quite prominently in the leaks, so I think this is before he was even arrested. All Toyotaro has to do is keep Piccolo alway from the plot and it will all flow nicely.
I think that was the reason, yes. And speaking of Pan's teacher, according to the summary, Bulma's father said Pan has just joined the kindergarten...

It's probably best if we place this saga in early AGE 782. Assuming we will see Hedo getting arrest by the end of it and also assuming he will get exact three months for his zombies thingy, then it should be something like this:

February - This saga and the beginning of the movie.
May - Hedo gets released and the rest of the movie.

This is also taking into consideration the possibility of the next saga(s) taking place in this same year, so we have to push it backwards to accommodate that/those future event(s). If this is the only saga in this year (and hopefully it is...), then we won't have to worry about months at all.

I think this is the best case scenario, but the more time Hedo spends in prison, the more we (well, usually me) will have to make some assumptions to make it all fit.
jjbgood wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:49 amWait till you find out about Yamchas eye change ;)
I knew he had small pupils in his early days but that's a common thing in Dragon Ball, villains and some antagonists usually have small pupils, and if they become good guys later, then they have bigger ones. But I never noticed that his eyes didn't "connect" with his eyebrows before. Kinda odd.

By the way, someone pointed out one time that Mister Satan had blue eyes in Dragon Ball Z but they turned gray in Dragon Ball Super. Kinda odd too. Eye contacts?

~ Day of the Machines ~

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:25 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:35 pm
jjbgood wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:49 amWait till you find out about Yamchas eye change ;)
I knew he had small pupils in his early days but that's a common thing in Dragon Ball, villains and some antagonists usually have small pupils, and if they become good guys later, then they have bigger ones. But I never noticed that his eyes didn't "connect" with his eyebrows before. Kinda odd.

By the way, someone pointed out one time that Mister Satan had blue eyes in Dragon Ball Z but they turned gray in Dragon Ball Super. Kinda odd too. Eye contacts?
Wait till you find out about Trunks Haircolor :P
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/