Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 88 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 88 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:34 pm

OMG, there’s a guy under the robber’s car that the kids teens flipped over.
Good stuff, nice to see the kids grown up and being their own people. I would actually adore if Trunks wore something similar to his GT attire, even just for once.
Nice that Goten looks like Gohan but not quite, and also moving away from the kinda dumb little goofball he was in the Buu arc.

Clean up complete is perfect for a FighterZ victory pose.

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:33 pm

Man I'm loving this chapter but I'm also super happy to see people of color represented in Dragon Ball comics I can't remember the last time I saw that hopefully it's a sign that we will start to see more diversity in the manga and anime

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:57 pm

I like Goten being the chill one in the group

bubibartra
Beyond Newbie

Post by bubibartra » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:46 pm

I would like to see Mai as the future president of capsule. She is serious and responsible.

Trunks can run away from his destiny in GT and be more adventurous. I like Goten
Favorite Character: Vegeta
Seconds favorites caracteres:Goku , Piccolo
Previously I like: Kid Gohan
I do not like: Adult Gohan
I hope more: Trunks and Goten
I claim for: A girlfriend and a happy life for Yamcha. Women SSJ
Hate: Send all women to take care of children, including A18.
Need more of: Ten Sin Han

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:32 pm

dragonballhero wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:11 am Honestly, the chapter was pretty fun, all things considered!

I will say this though, I really hope the next chapter will be more Goten-focused, especially if this chapter was meant to serve as an intro to the 'new Trunks'. I forgot who brought it up in this very thread, but I agree with them over the idea that it might NOT have been such a good idea to make GOTEN the 'straight-man' of the duo. With the current 'quirks' this Trunks seems to have, I feel like Goten now comes off as even MORE bland than he originally was by comparison.

I'm not saying he needs to borrow elements of Goku and/or Gohan (in fact, I PRAY that that doesn't end up being the case), but (for as controversial as this seems to be) I'm kind of hoping even more now that Goten is the 'lady killer' the fanbase seems to have made him out to be.
Indeed, though being a straight-man is absolutely fine on paper; all the best ones in fiction suffer just as much as their opposites, that's what makes them fun to watch. Having Trunks as the only victim of every gag could get stale, assuming this little prelude story leads to anywhere in the wider arc. One of Toriyama's strengths is that he views no character as sacred, even the most stoic, serious characters may get jokes at their expense. I also hope Goten gets some of that in the future!

Anyway, the gag of Trunks' daydream of Mai literally squashing out his scared thoughts about zombies was really clever. I may be in a minority for being okay with their romance, though I wouldn't have been surprised if Goten got jealous of her for taking Trunks' attention (and the Clean-God movie tickets).

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:06 pm

You know how you know Granolah sucked as a character and that the arc was bad? The response to this chapter—a chapter that sidelines all of that stuff.

Just observational.

I felt so much more reading this chapter than I did hundreds of pages of melodrama about Bardock, cereals and bootleg Bojacks.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:30 pm

The Granolah arc tried, valiantly in places, to tackle grand, larger-than-life ideas and themes that were poorly served by the glacial pacing and overall writing quality. On some level, it just didn't feel like the Dragon Ball Super I'd been reading up until that point. The arc was arguably at its best when it scaled back and focused on the more human, relatable sides of the characters and their motivations. Vegeta's growing desperation to find his own path and truly be his own man and Granolah facing up to his lack of purpose in life beyond this short-sighted goal he set for himself definitely spring to mind. The #SuperCereal themes about alien racial pride and Revenge = Bad and "this isn't even my final form" are simply too broad and histrionic for most people to relate to on an emotional level. It becomes meaningless noise after a while, and makes one understand why Toriyama tends to avoid such melodrama.

Whereas here, we have a goofy gag comic about a teenaged boy trying to get a date with a cute girl. There's superheroes and zombies and mad scientists, but anyone can "get" the heart of the story. It's really about as different from the previous arc as you can get, but yeah, I'm here for it.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:43 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:32 pm
dragonballhero wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:11 am Honestly, the chapter was pretty fun, all things considered!

I will say this though, I really hope the next chapter will be more Goten-focused, especially if this chapter was meant to serve as an intro to the 'new Trunks'. I forgot who brought it up in this very thread, but I agree with them over the idea that it might NOT have been such a good idea to make GOTEN the 'straight-man' of the duo. With the current 'quirks' this Trunks seems to have, I feel like Goten now comes off as even MORE bland than he originally was by comparison.

I'm not saying he needs to borrow elements of Goku and/or Gohan (in fact, I PRAY that that doesn't end up being the case), but (for as controversial as this seems to be) I'm kind of hoping even more now that Goten is the 'lady killer' the fanbase seems to have made him out to be.
Indeed, though being a straight-man is absolutely fine on paper; all the best ones in fiction suffer just as much as their opposites, that's what makes them fun to watch. Having Trunks as the only victim of every gag could get stale, assuming this little prelude story leads to anywhere in the wider arc. One of Toriyama's strengths is that he views no character as sacred, even the most stoic, serious characters may get jokes at their expense. I also hope Goten gets some of that in the future!

Anyway, the gag of Trunks' daydream of Mai literally squashing out his scared thoughts about zombies was really clever. I may be in a minority for being okay with their romance, though I wouldn't have been surprised if Goten got jealous of her for taking Trunks' attention (and the Clean-God movie tickets).
I think it fits that Goku's sons are both a little more straight laced. It took adult Gohan a while to settle on a quirk that fit his character. He was largely a straight man until DBS: Super Hero. Him being crazy passionate about science was what was missing from his character since DBS began. Hopefully we can hone in on Goten's quirk soon enough, whatever that may be.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:13 pm

I really enjoyed this chapter. It was fun but Reading modern Dragon Ball is weird sometimes. On one hand, especially with Super, it tries to emulate modern manga which sometimes does and doesn't work. Then you have a minor character walking his pet dinosaur that acts like a dog and then it's like okay you haven't forgotten your roots.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:16 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:32 pm

After 2 decades of Goten being subjected to the most severe case of 'sidekick syndrome' I've ever seen from this franchise, I think that's what really worries me about him being such a straight man now. Like you said, I do hope Goten isn't put on some sort of a 'pedestal' or something and actually gets some gags scenes of his own.

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:44 am

1. I wish we actually saw Goten comb his hair down. I could've sworn his haircut was Goku's hair but brushed/combed down. I might be making that up however.

2. Why do this fan base think Goten a ladies man just because he went on a date EoZ /have a girlfriend in GT?

3. Trunks playing basketball. That nigga lookin like Steph Curry :lol: .

4. I feel like Trunks not understanding technology is a slight jab at GT or foreshadowing to him liking it
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:51 am

ATA wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:44 am 4. I feel like Trunks not understanding technology is a slight jab at GT or foreshadowing to him liking it
Toyotaro is a fan of GT, so I doubt he would take a jab. If anything it might serve as a nice start of development for Trunks to learn more about machines with age.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:26 pm

I think this is going to happen:

Trunks is going to learn about computers for Mai and he'll find out that he actually like it.

Or something bad is going to happen. Driven with guilt, Trunks will decide to learn about "computers".

Or both.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:58 pm

If I’m not mistaken, didn’t Trunks go super Saiyan in this chapter?

Why didn’t he do that in the movie against cell max if that’s the case? This is a prequel is it not?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:00 pm

omaro34 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:58 pm If I’m not mistaken, didn’t Trunks go super Saiyan in this chapter?

Why didn’t he do that in the movie against cell max if that’s the case? This is a prequel is it not?
He'll probably use Super Saiyan in the comic version of the battle with Cell Max.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:11 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:00 pm
omaro34 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:58 pm If I’m not mistaken, didn’t Trunks go super Saiyan in this chapter?

He'll probably use Super Saiyan in the comic version of the battle with Cell Max.
Ah, so similar to the retellings of BoG and RoF the events don’t have to be the exact same. Gotcha 👍
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:13 pm

I realy like this chapter :thumbup:

the only "problems" I have is the "Trunks is not good with computers"? and the fact that this is a prequel to Super Hero

Still, this is a nice change of phase

I want this Arc to be short and long at the same time...

Short: because I don't want this to drag like the 2 previous arcs

Long: because I want to see more of the life of Goten and Trunks as super heroes and see more character development for them

More chapters like this one please!

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:46 pm

I loved that Trunks is not good at computers and is not interested in Capsule Corp, even when in GT he doesn't likes to work there, the fact that he is not good at it and doesn't have intention of working there in the future kind of shits on expectations in a very Tori/DB way.

About Goten, I kind of like that he doesn't have eccentric quirks; in a world where everyone has one, being more normal could be his. Hope they use that and not only his innocence, that while engaging, is also part of other characters.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:06 pm

pepd wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:46 pm I loved that Trunks is not good at computers and is not interested in Capsule Corp, even when in GT he doesn't likes to work there, the fact that he is not good at it and doesn't have intention of working there in the future kind of shits on expectations in a very Tori/DB way.

About Goten, I kind of like that he doesn't have eccentric quirks; in a world where everyone has one, being more normal could be his. Hope they use that and not only his innocence, that while engaging, is also part of other characters.
I'm thinking that Bra will be smart like Bulma, I guess we'll have to wait and see what Toyo does with her in this arc (if she appears at all).

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:28 pm

Bardock God of Time wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:06 pm
pepd wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:46 pm I loved that Trunks is not good at computers and is not interested in Capsule Corp, even when in GT he doesn't likes to work there, the fact that he is not good at it and doesn't have intention of working there in the future kind of shits on expectations in a very Tori/DB way.

I'm thinking that Bra will be smart like Bulma, I guess we'll have to wait and see what Toyo does with her in this arc (if she appears at all).
Bra being a total 1:1 of Bulma would be bad. She's better off a "clothing" girl like in GT. But she shouldn't be dumb (not that she ever was).
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.