Deep Thoughts by ABED: Not another re-watch thread!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Deep Thoughts by ABED: Not another re-watch thread!

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:04 pm

The title is to be read in the style of the SNL segment "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey". If you haven't heard them, you should. They're brilliant. And the subtitle is meant to be read as a complaint, like "Not another one". This is in fact a re-watch thread. I've thought of doing my own re-watch thread for a while now but couldn't figure out an angle. Robo4900's rewatch threads were amazing and exhaustive. I don't have the energy to do my own version of that and I don't think I can really do a review that would add much that people don't know or haven't thought about. Then it dawned on me – how about making it about my memories of watching it over the years. I'm always interested in how others experienced the show. So that's what this will be.

I will be beginning around the start of 2023 and plan on watching several episodes a day until Goku / Piccolo Day. The plan is to watch and after every saga as broken down by FUNi (because I'm a scamp) I will do a very mini review, talk about my memories of seeing those episodes over the years, discuss things that may be tangential but jump out at me (e.g., episodic vs. serialized story structure, genre, spin offs, etc.), and leave it open to you all to talk about your memories.

I don't know how structured I want it to be, so I'm open to feedback.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Deep Thoughts by ABED: Not another re-watch thread!

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:42 pm

Something about memories of these episodes sounds good, doesn't have to be as in-depth in terms of all the miniscule details as the Rewatch threads but more the impression any given batch of episodes had on people.

I think beginning from original Dragon Ball and comparing the reflections of people that seen it first versus those who saw Z first (myself included) could be quite interesting. I love original Dragon Ball now but there was an adjustment period going from the spectacle and flashy action of Z to the adventurous, goofy comedy that Dragon Ball is at its core.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:26 pm

) I will do a very mini review, talk about my memories of seeing those episodes over the years
Sorry is this is clear to everyone else... uhmmm... where? Youtube channel, vlog? here on this very same post?

I am in for a rewatch

I think Dragon Ball is a series that should be constatly rewatched trough the years, and you are talking to the same person who would watch a star wars movie every year on May the 4th. So, I like it that you do it til piccolo day, it is around those same dates, celebration starts since April the 20 th for me, btw (some will get it) .

I wonder if this time I should do the rewatch correctly and watch in in japanese.

Please let me know the exact date you will start, or do you mean to start january the 1st?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:16 pm

Here. I'm not technologically adept enough to upload anything to youtube. I'll make a new post for each saga. Funny, I thought it was clear that I would be doing this is a post on this forum. I took it for granted people would know what I mean. Thanks for point that out.

I'm either going to start New Year's Day or Eve. The first post will cover the first arc. Expect the first post to be around January 5th. I can't say exactly when it will be as I'm driving from Pennsylvania to Florida sometime that week.

Here is how I'm planning to watch the Series
Dragon Ball (JPN)
The Saga of Goku
The Saiyan and Freeza arcs (JPN)
Dragon Ball Z Ocean dub
The rest of Dragon Ball Z (JPN)
Dragon Ball Z Kai (dub)
Dragon Ball GT (JPN)
Dragon Ball Super (JPN)

The movies will be watched around the approximate time they take place in the series. For instance, I know Dead Zone isn't canon, but I will watch it before the start of DBZ.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:58 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:16 pm . For instance, I know Dead Zone isn't canon, but I will watch it before the start of DBZ.
Even though it doesn't fit in with continuity as far as the pre-BOG movies go I feel like Dead Zone is the most indispensable. Just forbeing DBZ in top form and for explaining who the hell this Garlic Jr fellow is when he shows up for his own arc in the tv series.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:58 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:16 pm . For instance, I know Dead Zone isn't canon, but I will watch it before the start of DBZ.
Even though it doesn't fit in with continuity as far as the pre-BOG movies go I feel like Dead Zone is the most indispensable. Just forbeing DBZ in top form and for explaining who the hell this Garlic Jr fellow is when he shows up for his own arc in the tv series.
Out of the 13 DBZ movies, the Bojack film is really the only one (aside from perhaps Dragon Fist) that you can cleanly work into the anime and even possibly manga timeline of events without any noticeable continuity snarls. It clearly takes place after the Cell Games/Goku's sacrifice and does take place in that period of time when Toriyama was attempting to move the protagonist role over to Gohan before abandoning that partway into the Buu arc. There's really nothing that sticks out with it as clashing in any major fashion with anime continuity the way the vast majority of the Z movies do.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:48 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:36 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:58 pm
Out of the 13 DBZ movies, the Bojack film is really the only one (aside from perhaps Dragon Fist) that you can cleanly work into the anime and even possibly manga timeline of events without any noticeable continuity snarls. It clearly takes place after the Cell Games/Goku's sacrifice and does take place in that period of time when Toriyama was attempting to move the protagonist role over to Gohan before abandoning that partway into the Buu arc. There's really nothing that sticks out with it as clashing in any major fashion with anime continuity the way the vast majority of the Z movies do.
It's less about does it work or not and more about "We at Toei assume you saw that movie with Garlic Jr yeah? Well here's a 10 episode arc to follow up on that because Toriyama needs time to get further ahead"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:13 pm

So yes, somethings will clearly be fairly easy to place. Something like Fusion Reborn obviously doesn't fit into the continuity, but I plan on watching it around the time of the Vegetto episodes for fairly obvious reasons.

What I'm attempting to do is find the most fulfilling way of watching Dragon Ball. It's kind of like the Machete Order of watching the Star Wars movies. I found it's a very satisfying way to watch the movies. Watching the DB movies at certain points throughout the series feels more rich and rewarding.

This time, I had a few unconventional ideas
Bardock TV Special - right before the fight against Freeza
Trunks TV special - after the episode where he returns to the future after warning Goku about Dr. Gero's cyborgs.
DB Movie 3 - Right before the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai
10th Anniversary Special - Right before GT.

DBZ movies 14 and 15 - Right before Super, though I've flirted with the idea of watching each before their respective arcs.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:52 am

ABED wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:13 pm

This time, I had a few unconventional ideas
Bardock TV Special - right before the fight against Freeza
Trunks TV special - after the episode where he returns to the future after warning Goku about Dr. Gero's cyborgs.
DB Movie 3 - Right before the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai
10th Anniversary Special - Right before GT.

I think last time I did a full rewatch I ended up watching the Trunks special between episode 117 and 118 but given the montage at the end it definitely makes more sense your way.

I also think the 10th anniversary film works best before GT as well.