I just watched the ending of GT (Japanese version) and it was one of the most depressing things I’ve ever seen

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Golden God

I just watched the ending of GT (Japanese version) and it was one of the most depressing things I’ve ever seen

Post by The Golden God » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:17 pm

Having to see Pan as a grandma, with none of the original characters around to keep her company implying they’re all dead, was just fricken depressing. Then she sees Goku in the crowd and before she can say hi to him he disappears. And now with the Dragon Balls gone its like all the magic has been stolen from the world, no more miracles, and Pan is basically left to shoulder all the memories of what was. Obviously the afterlife in Dragon Ball GT exists and I imagine Pan will be reunited with everyone in heaven (accept Piccolo) but it’s still sad as hell to see a world where everyone is permanently dead.

I wish it ended with Goku wishing himself back into an adult and then leaving with Vegeta to go train and prepare for the next crisis. This ending was just too emotionally painful.

I actually prefer the storyline of GT to Super, though the pacing is atrocious and the fights were badly animated for the most part and it’s based on anime canon rather than manga canon. I watched the Recut edition I found on Google which is only in dub, but watched the ending in the original Japanese subs because the recut edition changed the ending. Recut definitely helped but I didn’t agree with all the changes they made and I prefer the Japanese voices but wtvr.

Anyway just wanted to here you opinions on GT vs Super, the GT ending, and all that. I honestly wouldn’t be upset if Super never existed and they just remade GT with better animation and more accurate to the manga canon, and then they could have continued it from there by canonizing Toyotaro’s AF or something.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: I just watched the ending of GT (Japanese version) and it was one of the most depressing things I’ve ever seen

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:45 pm

Another depressing thing about the GT ending is that Pan and Bulma's descendant don't recognize one another, same goes for the former's grandson and latter's son. It suggests that after all that time Goku and Vegeta's families either lost touch or fell out, although the older I get the more I think perhaps that was the point as such things often happen in life.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: I just watched the ending of GT (Japanese version) and it was one of the most depressing things I’ve ever seen

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:16 pm

Sad perhaps but not depressing. Things change and people move on.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

The Golden God

Post by The Golden God » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:52 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:16 pm Sad perhaps but not depressing. Things change and people move on.
-.- which is depressing

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:49 am

The Golden God wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:52 pm
ABED wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:16 pm Sad perhaps but not depressing. Things change and people move on.
-.- which is depressing
I don't find that depressing. It's a simple fact of life that nothing stays the same. It's the impermanence that gives things meaning.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

The Golden God

Post by The Golden God » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:03 am

ABED wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:49 am
-.- which is depressing
I don't find that depressing. It's a simple fact of life that nothing stays the same. It's the impermanence that gives things meaning.
How does that give things meaning, that doesn’t make sense.

MrSatan2099
Patreon Supporter

Post by MrSatan2099 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:18 am

The word I would use is melancholy. The final episode always gets me. Not only is the episode itself emotional, it reminds me of the time period in my life when I first saw it. That was a difficult time in my life so I can't help but relive those feelings when I see it now too.

I do prefer Super overall, but there are things about GT I'll always love. Like some others I just like to think of it as an alternate timeline.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:54 pm

I get what ABED is saying, in life everything is in a state of flux. Societies change, culture changes, technology changes, and generations typically have different mindsets, priorities and perspectives on the world around them.

There's the failures of people such as relationships between friends and families breaking down, as was seemingly the case with successive generations of the remaining saiyans living on Earth, but then there's the inevitabilities like death (particularly by natural causes, which we can assume was the case for most characters in the years after the fight with Yi Xing Long), and all the adventures Goku and his friends on being relegated to history.
The Golden God wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:17 pm And now with the Dragon Balls gone its like all the magic has been stolen from the world, no more miracles, and Pan is basically left to shoulder all the memories of what was.
The Dragon Balls disappearing at the end was the point of the Evil Dragons arc though, Elder Kaioshin's point about how the Dragon Balls could be abused was vindicated, Goku's friends and family were thought a lesson about their dependence on the balls. The loss of the Dragon Balls was therefore a logical resolution. Using the Dragon Balls for silly things like a pair of underwear (granted it was a gag) and fix problems like people being killed or damage being caused to the Earth became second nature to Goku and friends, they took it for granted so accepting they couldn't do these things anymore was development.

I don't think Pan would necessarily be the only one living who retains those memories though, she likely passed them on to her kids who passed them on to theirs. The state of the relationships between Goku's friends and family and Vegetas during that 100 year gap is still generally ambiguous, but I'm sure even assuming they fell out with one another or drifted apart (as is suggested to a degree) that there would be some understanding of everything that happened since the Pilaf arc on both sides, just as I know certain things about my grandmother's upbringing and life even though I wasn't alive to witness most of it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:58 pm

Well, it was kinda odd to me that one kid said to the other: "oh you can go blond, too?" not even knowing what the form even was.

I actually love the feelings evoked by the ending, don't find it depressing at all, even though is hella sad, but didn't like the families drifting apart and the children ending up completely unaware of who they actually are.
Everything really fell apart without Goku, I guess, maybe they didn't like each other that much.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:02 pm

The Golden God wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:03 am
ABED wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:49 am

-.- which is depressing
How does that give things meaning, that doesn’t make sense.
Everything in life is limited, including time. We don't have forever so we have to make the most of what we have now. If nothing changed and we lived forever, it would get really boring. There would be no growth as there would be no need for it. The ending of The Good Place makes this point and does so really well.

Someone said that the word you're looking for is "melancholy", which I would agree with. It's sad because we no longer get to see our friends. Every ending, even happy ones are a little sad. GT's ending is sweet because ultimately everything works out okay. The group isn't in each other's lives as consistently (were they ever?) but the future looks bright.

If you want a really sad ending, watch the broadcast version (and intended ending) of How I Met Your Mother's.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:27 pm

The Golden God wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:17 pmI wish it ended with Goku wishing himself back into an adult and then leaving with Vegeta to go train and prepare for the next crisis.
That's sort of how it ends, though. Goku and Vegeta leave Earth, apparently never to come back again. It was to settle their rivalry once and for all, but knows if they got to have a "next crisis". They were never heard since.

We (or me, at least) can only hope this ending gets adapted eventually.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:34 pm

The broadcast ending of How I Met Your Mother is indeed sad, its also very true to life.
ABED wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:02 pmEvery ending, even happy ones are a little sad.
I don't hear this brought up much, but it's a good point. I often hear complaints about how Disney's Star Wars trilogy never reunited Luke, Han and Leia, which while I would have liked to see I don't blame J.J Abrams and Laurence Kasdan for not going that direction. Their adventures together ended in Return of the Jedi, which was sad but worth it because they accomplished their goals as a trio, and stories are about the journeys not the destinations.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:51 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:27 pm
The Golden God wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:17 pmI wish it ended with Goku wishing himself back into an adult and then leaving with Vegeta to go train and prepare for the next crisis.
That's sort of how it ends, though. Goku and Vegeta leave Earth, apparently never to come back again. It was to settle their rivalry once and for all, but knows if they got to have a "next crisis". They were never heard since.

We (or me, at least) can only hope this ending gets adapted eventually.
How is it ever shown that vegeta left to do the exact thing you are saying it’s never said or shown?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:59 pm

To each their own but I wouldn't exactly call an ending that's all about how great Goku was and how he changed the world for the better "depressing" The episode certainly doesn't dwell on the fact that the cast would be dead by the time Pan is 109 because that really isn't the point.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:57 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:34 pm The broadcast ending of How I Met Your Mother is indeed sad, its also very true to life.
ABED wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:02 pmEvery ending, even happy ones are a little sad.
I don't hear this brought up much, but it's a good point. I often hear complaints about how Disney's Star Wars trilogy never reunited Luke, Han and Leia, which while I would have liked to see I don't blame J.J Abrams and Laurence Kasdan for not going that direction. Their adventures together ended in Return of the Jedi, which was sad but worth it because they accomplished their goals as a trio, and stories are about the journeys not the destinations.
As someone who's pretty much ambivalent to the Sequels, Mark Hamill's expectation for the trilogy to just be a big reunion celebration was almost equally unappealing and I'm glad they didn't just do that, not least because the Sequels are already full of nostalgia.

Anyway, I agree with what most people are saying here. Bulma and Goku's descendants not knowing each other after a hundred years doesn't devalue the specialness of their relationships. Unless you're part of some privileged bloodline, would you really expect your distant descendants to "carry the torch" for your own friendships? The sad reality that most of us have to face is that our own sphere of influence ends after two or three generations, max. If you're able to come to terms with that, GT's ending won't feel that depressing. Goku is lucky to have had enough of an impact to be remembered by many as the great hero that he was.

As for the Dragon Balls disappearing... I guess our own world (and every other fictional world) is pretty depressing for not having them in the first place. :lol: On the one hand, their usefulness in bringing people back from the dead is what makes them so wonderful, but the fact that they give the protagonists such a carefree mentality when it comes to the consequences of death is not entirely healthy.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:17 pm

I'm wondering if GT was successful in Japan would we have gotten that ending. But the GT ending always sat well with me. The long franchise was over with a sense of finality.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:16 am

supersaiyamangod wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:51 pmHow is it ever shown that vegeta left to do the exact thing you are saying it’s never said or shown?
Who said it was never said?
Dragon Ball Online wrote:AGE 801
Son Goku disappears
Realizing his death is imminent, Goku, who wanted to settle their rivalry, left the Earth with Vegeta. Years later, a supernova explosion was detected; perhaps caused by Son Goku and Vegeta’s battle.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:53 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:27 pm
I'm pretty sure the "it" in question is Dragon Ball GT the television show, not Goku and Vegeta's in-universe rivalry.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:34 pm

The Golden God wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:17 pm Having to see Pan as a grandma, with none of the original characters around to keep her company implying they’re all dead,
How do we have a Goku jr if Pan has no one? Goku is remembered enough if his great-grand kids decide to name their son after him. And we also have Vegeta jr.

Roshi and the turtle are still around, although I'd think his connection was mostly with Krillin and Goku. Then there's the fact that the Son family spend so much time away, that the group didn't even know Goku has a kid. Then again, Trunks and Goten are pretty close.

And that when i realized that while all these connections existed, Pan is super old and as already stated most of everyone we know is either dead or super duper old. And I've circled back to Goku jr and Vegeta jr who don't seem to know each other at all, even though Goku's and Bulma's family should be close.

I'ma stop rambling now.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:12 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:16 am
supersaiyamangod wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:51 pmHow is it ever shown that vegeta left to do the exact thing you are saying it’s never said or shown?
Who said it was never said?
Dragon Ball Online wrote:AGE 801
Son Goku disappears
Realizing his death is imminent, Goku, who wanted to settle their rivalry, left the Earth with Vegeta. Years later, a supernova explosion was detected; perhaps caused by Son Goku and Vegeta’s battle.
Not in gt.