So why Shenron gave Piccolo a bonus transformation?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

So why Shenron gave Piccolo a bonus transformation?

Post by Soba Mask » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:03 pm

And can Shenron give this kind of transformation bonus to others as well?

PS Bonus question ever since Elder Kai... What stops the other characters as Trunks, Goten and Co to use Elder Kai and Shenron for unlocking their potential as well?

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: So why Shenron gave Piccolo a bonus transformation?

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:44 pm

I think he simply did it in honor of Kami, who (as part of Piccolo) was making the wish.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:20 pm

Shenlong isn’t just a plot device, he’s a living being with his own personality and biases. Other than the Super Shenlong all of them seem to have a personality, and I like that.

He gave Piccolo an extra form simply out of respect, just like he revived Freeza cut in a million pieces because he doesn’t like him.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:34 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:20 pm Shenlong isn’t just a plot device, he’s a living being with his own personality and biases. Other than the Super Shenlong all of them seem to have a personality, and I like that.

He gave Piccolo an extra form simply out of respect, just like he revived Freeza cut in a million pieces because he doesn’t like him.
So basically an asspull power up without.actually story. Shenron likes Goku as well. Give him angel mode

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:37 pm

You're the one ignoring the history between Kami and Shenlong.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:26 pm

I think Shenlong revived Freeza in pieces because the latter was still alive in that state, it was the blast that killed him. There is also the fact that one has to be careful with the way one phrases their wish, at any point did the random soldiers ask Shenlong to bring Freeza back in his full body. I don't think it has to do with personality, correct if I'm wrong but I don't think Shenlong and Freeza ever had an interaction or anything, so the former has no reason to like or dislike the latter.
Soba Mask wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:03 pmWhat stops the other characters as Trunks, Goten and Co to use Elder Kai and Shenron for unlocking their potential as well?
Good or bad writing, depending on your point of view.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:05 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:20 pmjust like he revived Freeza cut in a million pieces because he doesn’t like him.
Grimlock wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:26 pm I think Shenlong revived Freeza in pieces because the latter was still alive in that state, it was the blast that killed him.
Neither:
Shenlong wrote:It is of course possible, but that person's body was cut to pieces long ago, and cannot be regenerated. There would be no point in his spirit returning with his body in such a condition.
Of course Sorbet asks for his resurrection anyway after Tagoma reminded him of their regeneration machine.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:18 pm

Out of respect for Piccolo Kami side, I assume. Same reason he calls him Piccolo-sama. He only used that suffix before for Beerus, who he's afraid of.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:32 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:05 pmNeither:
Shenlong wrote:It is of course possible, but that person's body was cut to pieces long ago, and cannot be regenerated. There would be no point in his spirit returning with his body in such a condition.
Of course Sorbet asks for his resurrection anyway after Tagoma reminded him of their regeneration machine.
That supports what I said. The question is why Shenlong can't regenerate Freeza.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:10 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:32 pm
Luso Saiyan wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:05 pmNeither:
That supports what I said. The question is why Shenlong can't regenerate Freeza.
If I remember it's because Shenlong can only properly resurrect someone who died at most a year before the wish. It's one of his limitations, although I don't know if it really still applied by RoF.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:26 pm

I dunno. It always bothered me that Shenron couldn't restore Frieza to life in a fully regenerated body. That's just odd. If there's a one year "limit," I'd assume that's because most are reincarnated by then. Frieza should have been reincarnated long ago, but his stubbornness kept him trapped in Earth's Hell much longer than normal. But I don't know. It's hard to justify without some measure of head canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:21 pm

Thani wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:10 pmIf I remember it's because Shenlong can only properly resurrect someone who died at most a year before the wish. It's one of his limitations, although I don't know if it really still applied by RoF.
That only affects groups of people. There never was such limitation as far as bringing back one person.

(Kanzenshuu's summary may provide a better understanding). It's still up in the air why Shenlong couldn't regenerate Freeza. I doubt it's above his powers or anything.

~ Day of the Machines ~

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:40 pm

Kami was the original creator of Shenlon, so he gets special treatment. It wasn't said, but it seems very obvious.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:38 pm

Out of Universe Answer: It's cool. That's why.

In Universe Answer: Shenlong did it in honor of Kami.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:46 pm

The dragons offering unstipulated additions to a wish isn't unheard of. Remember when Porunga reassembled Krillin's body and clothing at the time of his death on Namek? Bulma's wish only stated the intention of resurrecting Krillin. The dragon himself clarified that he provided these additional services as an extra.

I can believe Shenron providing preferential treatment to Piccolo as the precedent is there for personalities to play a role in how the dragon interprets a wish.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:36 pm

Lionel wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:46 pm The dragons offering unstipulated additions to a wish isn't unheard of. Remember when Porunga reassembled Krillin's body and clothing at the time of his death on Namek? Bulma's wish only stated the intention of resurrecting Krillin. The dragon himself clarified that he provided these additional services as an extra.
Which is weird because restoring a body to a livable condition has always been a given with Shenron. Bora, Vegeta and Trunks all returned to life without the gaping chest wounds that killed them, Cargo was restored from full immolation and 17 was restored from complete cellular destruction.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:45 pm

Why is this being asked when it was answered & spelled-out clearly in the movie?

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:20 pm

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:45 pm Why is this being asked when it was answered & spelled-out clearly in the movie?
To be blunt, because it is still stupid, lazy and goes against character. Recall in DBS Broly, Goku stated that if Freeza tried to wish himself stronger, it wouldn't be by much. So a wish like that would be useless. SH tries to get around this by Dende just going "Oh I can just power up the dragon", which he can apparently do at any time without prep or explanation so long as he has a jug of water. Which means Shenron can theoretically be powered up indefinitely to the point you won't even need Super Dragonballs anymore. Which further breaks the limitations the Earth Dragonballs were meant to have.

Their rules already changed when Dende became their keeper and Dendre tried to make it sound like the reason why the Dragon couldn't be powered up or changed is because Kami wasn't raised on Namek. However, Kami was able to reset the timer on the Dragonballs after King Piccolo killed Shenron. So it's already possible for Kami to change the rules by which the Dragonballs work, despite not having been raised on Namek. On top of that, Dende states that the ability to Unlock Potential that Namekian's can perform is tied to their Age, not knowledge. If that's the case, then Kami should've been able to do the same thing intuitively, yet apparently never could. For if he could do so, he would'v for Tenshinhan, Yajirobe, Krillin, Yamcha and Chouzu to help them fight the Saiyans. Had that been the case, Nappa and the Saibamen would've been curbstomped and Vegeta might've been bested by team effort.

This is just another reason why I don't like this movie. It completely ignores the past to push forward a story that never should even be happening. Back onto the subject at hand, frankly it shouldn't matter if Kami was the original creator and/or if Shenron held any respect for his creator. Giving something outside of the wishes parameters should be explicitly beyond what Shenron can do. And as I said before, this goes against character. Specifically Piccolo's.

Piccolo is never one for the easy route to power. You can claim otherwise with the use of Namekian Merger, but people forget or simply ignore the implications and reasoning involved behind this. On Namek, Piccolo was well aware he was nowhere near strong enough to even stall Freeza, let alone fight him. Nail was dying and thus, merging with Piccolo would not only give Piccolo a chance to save the others, but it is a sacrifice Nail is making to give others hope. And I want everyone to understand that fact and what defines Namekians at their core: Sacrifice.

Even as far back as Dragonball, Kami was willing to sacrifice himself to ensure that Piccolo would not become a threat like his predecessor had been. Even if it meant the Dragonballs would be gone forever, Kami was willing to kill the defeated Piccolo, and thus himself, to ensure the peace of the world. Goku stopped him, but Kami was prepared to die to fulfill his role as Earth's Guardian. Later, after his time training and living alongside Gohan, Piccolo sacrificed himself to save his one and only friend. Then on Namek itself, the entire Namekian Race would rather be killed than give Freeza the means to have his wish granted. Even handing over the Dragonballs was an empty gesture without the Words needed to summon the dragon. Even as threat of extermination loomed over the heads, the Namekians would rather sacrifice themselves than permit the Evil Tyrant from having his wish granted.

Going further into Super, the Universe 6 Namekians sacrificed hundreds of their kin to merge with their two chosen heroes to compete in the Tournament of Power. All for the sake standing against Oblivion and to give hope to the survival of their universe. Namekians at their core are a people built upon the sacrifice of the self for the greater good. Which is why the actions taken in this film do not work.

Piccolo made no such sacrifice or effort, nor did Dende, nor Shenron, nor anyone else. It was just handed out without any kind of buildup or consequence. On top of everything, they keep trying to make everyone forget that Piccolo is a telepath. Just like Kami, he can commune with others through his mind, and did so during the Buu Saga. Even so far as instructing Goten and Trunks, who were in the Time Chamber, while he was delaying leading Buu there to give them time to prepare. There's no explanation as to why Piccolo couldn't just send a telepathic message to Whis or Goku or Vegeta. Or if not them, then to Shin or Elder Kai to acquire their assistance.

People can try and dismiss it as just an instance of bad writing. However, when the entire film is a series of events all built on bad writing, it's impossible to ignore any single part of it. For instance, Bulma regularly gathering the Dragonballs to make petty wishes to villains can't use them. You may think that's logical, but it's not. When you consider they've needed her Dragon Radar, twice, to do these things, then the most logical thing would be to instead disable the Dragon Radar when she's not using it. All she has to do is make it inoperable and then no one else would be able to gather the Dragonballs with such ease and efficiency. That would effectively nullify any villains plans right there.

I have been of the mind that for Piccolo to acquire a transformation beyond what is achievable through training and meditation, then it needs to come at some sort of cost. Some form of sacrifice. And that sacrifice should be Shenron itself. That to achieve a new form would involve taking back what was given. Something that is surrendered upon the creation of the Dragon Balls. Something only their Creator could ask for after a considerable amount of time, but something that has been the most taboo among Namekians since time immemorial. One could argue that Dende is their creator now, but that's not true. Dende is more like the new Batteries that were put in to keep the Dragonballs running. He's no the Manufacturer.

It has been my belief that Piccolo should've been told that the door within him leading to new strength cannot be opened by the same means as before. That his merger with Kami had already Unlocked his Potential as a side-effect, since he had become One with Himself. That he would need to see Zuno to provide him with the answers he needs to become stronger. Which would involve absorbing the power of the Dragon into himself. Taking in the Life and latent Wisdom of the Dragon given to it when Kami brought it into being. This would be something Piccolo would not wish to do. Since, in a sense, Shenron is a Friend to not just himself, but Goku and the others. To sacrifice a Friend just for Strength would be selfish and evil, something the current Piccolo would never wish to do, yet it would be his only option if he wanted to grow any stronger than he is right now.

Piccolo wouldn't make that wish. Bulma would get her booty wish and then instead of granting a 2nd, Shenron would choose to become dormant for up to 6mo and would disappear. This leaving the ultimate decision on what to do up to Shenron. So when the fight against the Gamma's and ultimately Cell MAX commenced, when Piccolo was at the end of his whit, his strength and on the very verge of collapse, that's when the Dragonballs would suddenly gather overhead of their own volition, and Shenron would appear. Before surging down into Piccolo's body. With Shenron giving Piccolo all that he is, all that he had been given by Kami, and returning it to its Origin. Back to his creator. His Friend. To sacrifice itself for the sake of another. Just as Kami, and Goku, and those in this time have done before. That they continue to do.

In that moment, he transforms. Not into Tomatollo, but something better. More fitting. With the image of the Seven Dragonballs on his back forming in the shape and image of the Eternal Dragon, Shenron, forming a sort of spiral or ouroboros. Longer nails and perhaps horns. Maybe even patches of scales on is forearms and shoulder, under the eyes. Then finally, tears and a smile as Piccolo, and Kami, say their goodbyes to that part of themselves. To their long-time friend and companion. It is there that we finally have a first for the series. At the thought of what may be out there. Dragon God Piccolo.

To me, this would've made a far greater epic. More emotional, more true to the character involved. And it would be a sign of things truly changing. If they want things to change moving forward, then even changing the Dragon is necessary. A grand sendoff to Shenron, who has been part of the franchise for decades, which also grants the opportunity for a New Dragon. A new design, created by Dende alone. A New Beginning.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:27 am

I asked a simple question & bro gave me a whole ass essay mainly complaining about the subject and writing his preferred fanfiction lmao

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:59 am

Soba Mask wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:34 pm
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:20 pm Shenlong isn’t just a plot device, he’s a living being with his own personality and biases. Other than the Super Shenlong all of them seem to have a personality, and I like that.

So basically an asspull power up without.actually story. Shenron likes Goku as well. Give him angel mode
How, angels are above Shenlong’s power.